Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
What a petulant baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

A man who's party was accusing Trudeau of wanting to open brothels and drug dens on every street corner gets upset about negative spin on dead refugees.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The most adorable criticism of a gay person in the thread so far.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

brucio posted:

Double post, but interesting thoughts from Peter Stoffer:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/peter-stoffer-ndp-name-change-1.3289821

I think becoming the Democrat Party is a bad idea, but separate wings of the party itself could be positive.

If nothing else, this could make it easier for the provincial-level NDPs and Liberals to merge, as needed (i.e. Alberta, probably..?)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow Chris Alexander is still in campaign mode and doesn't get that the party was just totally clobbered because they kept saying exactly the same stuff he's still saying now. What a moron.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Ikantski posted:

The most adorable criticism of a gay person in the thread so far.

As someone who works for a teachers union, I'm just chuffed about all this cash they've been receiving. Time to pitch some more upgrades.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

If nothing else, this could make it easier for the provincial-level NDPs and Liberals to merge, as needed (i.e. Alberta, probably..?)

The provincial level liberal party in Alberta is currently on life support - why would the NDP want to merge instead of letting them fold up and join?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Wow Chris Alexander is still in campaign mode and doesn't get that the party was just totally clobbered because they kept saying exactly the same stuff he's still saying now. What a moron.

Chris Alexander: In hindsight, I suppose I probably shouldn't have killed that baby. But, c'mon it's not like it was a Canadian baby! It wasn't even white! If I let it in it would have jihaded and niqabed all over the place.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 27, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"We failed to better communicate the nature of second class citizenship."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

"We failed to better communicate the nature of second class citizenship."

https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/

Sponsor
Chris Alexander Conservative

In case anyone was not clear he is a totally delusional.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The entirety of the CPC has no ethics whatsoever, none.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Look at this guy thinking mt pleasant is full of ~silicon valley types~

Ok let's not give Hootsuite too much credit. The area is filling up with yuppies.

Main 2nd through 7th is steadily transforming from auto body shops into condos. The people that are buying and living in those aren't baristas and artists.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

The provincial level liberal party in Alberta is currently on life support - why would the NDP want to merge instead of letting them fold up and join?

I'm probably just having nostalgia from the pre-Notley era, and I don't know enough about other provinces' situations to talk about those.

Is the whole "unite the left" A Thing at the provincial level elsewhere? I assumed it was in some places but not others. Doesn't Manitoba or something have a New/Green Alliance party?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

I'm probably just having nostalgia from the pre-Notley era, and I don't know enough about other provinces' situations to talk about those.

Is the whole "unite the left" A Thing at the provincial level elsewhere? I assumed it was in some places but not others. Doesn't Manitoba or something have a New/Green Alliance party?

It's definitely a thing that's been talked about - it might even happen for the most part if the liberal party continues to fade away. I'm constantly amused at how badly people outside Alberta misread that election - there was only one party that ran from the left in most ridings, the liberal party's leader had just stepped down because Raj Sherman is an idiot, and the right was pretty split by the PC's and Wildrose. It's not going to happen again.

e: goddamn it I missed that you're in Alberta too. Sorry.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Sedge and Bee posted:

A man who's party was accusing Trudeau of wanting to open brothels and drug dens on every street corner gets upset about negative spin on dead refugees.

To be fair, He didn't directly deny the immigration claim that resulted in the death of Alan, he just denied the one for his brother which in turn made the family give up, and sponsored the bill that increased the difficulty in applying. Totally unfair to criticize him, unlike the clear plan by the liberals to make weed lord brothels.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

It's definitely a thing that's been talked about - it might even happen for the most part if the liberal party continues to fade away. I'm constantly amused at how badly people outside Alberta misread that election - there was only one party that ran from the left in most ridings, the liberal party's leader had just stepped down because Raj Sherman is an idiot, and the right was pretty split by the PC's and Wildrose. It's not going to happen again.

e: goddamn it I missed that you're in Alberta too. Sorry.

No worries :hfive:
But yeah, just looking at the votes results, it appears the ALP pretty much didn't have any rural candidates.

What are the odds that WR and PC get together before the next election? Any chance they'd win, or does it depend how soon they get that ironed out?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Coolwhoami posted:

weed lord brothels.

We should replace the Sergeant at Arms' mace with a giant black dildo wrapped in Timewarp buds.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:weedlordbrothels: should be the liberal logo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

THC posted:

‘I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer’: Chris Alexander QQs about the campaign that cost him his job (w/ video)

“We’re still the party that sees reality as it is, doesn’t want to go on some hippy-trippy jaunt down memory lane and put marijuana in the windows of every store,” he said in an interview Tuesday on Ottawa’s Sparks Street.

“We’re trying to deal with the real issues that Canadians are facing. And we’ll continue to do that.”

The Liberals have promised to legalize and regulate pot but haven’t actually said it would be in the windows of every store.

And Alexander takes issue with the way his opponents characterized the Tories’ stance on immigrants and refugees, especially in the wake of a photo of three-year-old Syrian boy Alan Kurdi lifeless on a Turkish beach, which focused the world’s attention on a refugee crisis many feel Canada and other countries have failed to act on with urgency.

This scrutiny only increased when Kurdi’s Canadian aunt said she’d tried to get members of his family to Canada only to have them refused.

“I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer by other MPs and by people in the media. That was not pleasant.”

The Liberals and NDP took citizenship, immigration and refugee issues for “pretty unpleasant purposes,” Alexander charged.

“That’s the story that people insist on telling, that we are cold-hearted Conservatives, that we’ve never done the right thing. And it’s wrong,” said Alexander.

“We started bringing Syrian refugees to Canada on a large scale in January,” he said. “But nobody covered it. Somehow it became divisive that we hadn’t brought them all, by the middle of the campaign.”

Canada has resettled 2,500 Syrian refugees since 2013. Global News and other media organizations have been covering the issue extensively over the past two years.

Alexander predicts Liberal leader Justin Trudeau will have trouble following through on his promise to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year.

“Nothing’s impossible, but cost, safety, the operational standards for which Canada is renowned, are all issues,” he said.

“We have the best record in the world for refugee resettlement because we do it well. We meet certain standards. We check out who people are. We make sure human smugglers aren’t involved. We make sure identity theft isn’t involved. We make sure people are who they say they are. We make sure criminals don’t benefit from Canada’s generous refugee policies. When you start moving large numbers of people in short periods of time, all of that can be compromised.”

As Global News has reported, Canada doesn’t have the best record in the world on refugees, although we have taken in more than the United States. Advocates have argued there’s no reason Canada couldn’t bring in more people while maintaining security standards.

Alexander also takes issue with the campaign’s focus on new laws that gave him the authority to unilaterally strip dual citizens of their Canadian citizenship if they were found guilty of terrorism.

The Conservatives were accused of making it an election issue when they announced during the campaign their intention to strip the citizenship of people arrested on terror charges almost a decade ago. Justin Trudeau kept the issue in the headlines, repeating “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian” in his speeches and saying that the Conservative change was creating two classes of citizens – something that Alexander believes was a mischaracterization.

“Suddenly we ended up in a campaign talking about second-class citizens? That concept does not exist in Canadian law. It should not exist in public debate. We did not introduce it to the debate. When it was introduced by the party that’s now won the election, we didn’t counter it enough,” he said.

“We don’t have room in this country for poison like that :ironicat: and people deserve in an election to know what the law actually says, the protections they enjoy in this country, what opportunities they enjoy in this country compared to virtually every country in the world. But that failed to be communicated.”

Growing Ironicat.gif is needed.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

No worries :hfive:
But yeah, just looking at the votes results, it appears the ALP pretty much didn't have any rural candidates.

What are the odds that WR and PC get together before the next election? Any chance they'd win, or does it depend how soon they get that ironed out?

The PC's are in the process of dying out, if anything faster than the liberals. They were extremely hurt fiscally by the limit on corporate donations, and overall they're in heaps of trouble.

e: Let me be clear: that's the absolute best outcome of the election.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 27, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

Ok let's not give Hootsuite too much credit. The area is filling up with yuppies.

Main 2nd through 7th is steadily transforming from auto body shops into condos. The people that are buying and living in those aren't baristas and artists.

So what are they?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 2, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

The PC's are in the process of dying out, if anything faster than the liberals. They were extremely hurt fiscally by the limit on corporate donations, and overall they're in heaps of trouble.

e: Let me be clear: that's the absolute best outcome of the election.

Yeah, my read on it is kinda that the Alberta Party might supplant the PCs and ALP at the centre. I don't know a lot about them, or how their momentum is going.
But i think it'd be interesting/weird for Alberta to have only 1 of the 3 big federal parties represented provincially. :stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Melian Dialogue posted:

I've never argued against dissent against the state that isnt state sanctioned, I've argued against dissent against the state that is violent being inherently wrong. But blah blah blah diversity of tactics always comes out as a trope in this debate.

This isn't the diversity of tactics stawman you keep trying to build. You've literally argued that linking arms in front of a police line and refusing to disperse is violence and demands a violent response from the police. We're not talking about some anarchist shithead smashing windows and burning cop cars or chucking bottles at the police here. We're talking about people who are not initiating force against anyone being "justifiably" beaten. This is a thing you've argued, if you have archives, go look at your posts on the pipeline protests if it's not ringing a bell.

So it follows that if people who are not initiating force against someone count as "violent" then there is no such thing as non-violent protest, or at the very least the definition of violence is so malleable that it can be shaped to fit any situation where there is unsanctioned dissent. This is the problem.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, my read on it is kinda that the Alberta Party might supplant the PCs and ALP at the centre. I don't know a lot about them, or how their momentum is going.
But i think it'd be interesting/weird for Alberta to have only 1 of the 3 big federal parties represented provincially. :stare:

Ignore the names: the wildrose party at this point pretty much is the CPC. The Alberta party won't take the centre, although it would be nice if that worked out for them.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

Ignore the names: the wildrose party at this point pretty much is the CPC.

Well, yeah, but I mean ~it's fun to pretend~

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't support weed legalisation because when the revolution comes everybody will be too baked to rise up off the couch let alone rise up and smash the bourgeoisie

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

MrChips posted:

I don't support weed legalisation because when the revolution comes everybody will be too baked to rise up off the couch let alone rise up and smash the bourgeoisie

THE MAN is trying to keep us down, with legal :420:

:tinfoil:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Stephen Woodworth: What a loving whiner

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't support weed legalization because I'm old and white and youth culture makes me soil my pants

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Legalize weed so everyone can shut the gently caress up about it already

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't support weed legalization because I'm old and white and youth culture makes me soil my pants

You wouldn't have a problem with weeds if your pants weren't soiled.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 2, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chris Alexander couldn't be any farther off the pulse if his fingers were jammed up a cadaver's rear end. His perceptions of how anything truly is are an unending fountain of sad comedy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Indeed, since the posts you made were in reference to pipeline protests in B.C. where graphic video of RCMP assaulting unarmed, non-violent protesters was filmed.

I have not, and I don't think anyone here ever has, claimed that violent protest doesn't exist. However the police choke slamming (senior) citizens for standing in a line and refusing to move is egregious, and that is a thing you specifically defended by claiming that it was in fact violent to refuse to move for the police, hence the police were justified in a violent response. You justified violence on the part of the police by defining passive resistance as violent, if you don't see a problem with this then it's difficult to have a discussion for exactly the reason I mentioned earlier.

Melian Dialogue posted:

edit: To add some actual substance other than snark:

Actually yes, we are talking about anarchist shitheads smashing things and burning cop cars. This is literally "a thing" that happened at Rexton. Not to mention literal IEDs, and long-guns. Yet, despite these findings, people roll their eyes at the "tactilol" police response.

Its unfortunate that the Rexton demonstrations had plenty of merit on its own, but that they didnt self-police out the violent elements out (like I said, probably in the name of diversity of tactics). Thus, the police had to do it for them so no one would get killed or maimed over a political protest.

I'm having trouble tracking down the specific posts because you posted them as Swagger, not your current account and I don't have archives. But for the sake of discussion I'll keep trying to find them.

VVV...or not

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 27, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey it's time to rehash past threads by defining and/or remembering the goalposts.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow I kind of felt bad for Chris Alexander but turns out he's a densely retarded true believer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

infernal machines posted:

I'm having trouble tracking down the specific posts because you posted them as Swagger, not your current account and I don't have archives. But for the sake of discussion I'll keep trying to find them.

Maybe it's pretty ok that the discussion not go on :)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

THC posted:

‘I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer’: Chris Alexander QQs about the campaign that cost him his job (w/ video)

“We’re still the party that sees reality as it is, doesn’t want to go on some hippy-trippy jaunt down memory lane and put marijuana in the windows of every store,” he said in an interview Tuesday on Ottawa’s Sparks Street.

“We’re trying to deal with the real issues that Canadians are facing. And we’ll continue to do that.”

The Liberals have promised to legalize and regulate pot but haven’t actually said it would be in the windows of every store.

And Alexander takes issue with the way his opponents characterized the Tories’ stance on immigrants and refugees, especially in the wake of a photo of three-year-old Syrian boy Alan Kurdi lifeless on a Turkish beach, which focused the world’s attention on a refugee crisis many feel Canada and other countries have failed to act on with urgency.

This scrutiny only increased when Kurdi’s Canadian aunt said she’d tried to get members of his family to Canada only to have them refused.

“I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer by other MPs and by people in the media. That was not pleasant.”

The Liberals and NDP took citizenship, immigration and refugee issues for “pretty unpleasant purposes,” Alexander charged.

“That’s the story that people insist on telling, that we are cold-hearted Conservatives, that we’ve never done the right thing. And it’s wrong,” said Alexander.

“We started bringing Syrian refugees to Canada on a large scale in January,” he said. “But nobody covered it. Somehow it became divisive that we hadn’t brought them all, by the middle of the campaign.”

Canada has resettled 2,500 Syrian refugees since 2013. Global News and other media organizations have been covering the issue extensively over the past two years.

Alexander predicts Liberal leader Justin Trudeau will have trouble following through on his promise to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year.

“Nothing’s impossible, but cost, safety, the operational standards for which Canada is renowned, are all issues,” he said.

“We have the best record in the world for refugee resettlement because we do it well. We meet certain standards. We check out who people are. We make sure human smugglers aren’t involved. We make sure identity theft isn’t involved. We make sure people are who they say they are. We make sure criminals don’t benefit from Canada’s generous refugee policies. When you start moving large numbers of people in short periods of time, all of that can be compromised.”

As Global News has reported, Canada doesn’t have the best record in the world on refugees, although we have taken in more than the United States. Advocates have argued there’s no reason Canada couldn’t bring in more people while maintaining security standards.

Alexander also takes issue with the campaign’s focus on new laws that gave him the authority to unilaterally strip dual citizens of their Canadian citizenship if they were found guilty of terrorism.

The Conservatives were accused of making it an election issue when they announced during the campaign their intention to strip the citizenship of people arrested on terror charges almost a decade ago. Justin Trudeau kept the issue in the headlines, repeating “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian” in his speeches and saying that the Conservative change was creating two classes of citizens – something that Alexander believes was a mischaracterization.

“Suddenly we ended up in a campaign talking about second-class citizens? That concept does not exist in Canadian law. It should not exist in public debate. We did not introduce it to the debate. When it was introduced by the party that’s now won the election, we didn’t counter it enough,” he said.

“We don’t have room in this country for poison like that :ironicat: and people deserve in an election to know what the law actually says, the protections they enjoy in this country, what opportunities they enjoy in this country compared to virtually every country in the world. But that failed to be communicated.”

But I thought Chris Alexander was a smart dude who only sounded like a stupid brat because he had to toe the party line???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's pretty ok that the discussion not go on :)

Yeah, I got it. My apologies.