Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ezra's trying to get YYC named after Harper

http://www.therebel.media/harperairport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/tom-mulcair-post-election-niqab-1.3289816

quote:

Tom Mulcair says niqab position was a defining moment of his political career

Standing up to Stephen Harper on the niqab issue was the 'right thing' to do, says Tom Mulcair

I don't get this. Mulcair was reluctant to say anything about the niqab when it came up, and he hid behind the courts decision when it was discussed during the French debate. Is he trying to say that he was principled here?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Double post, but interesting thoughts from Peter Stoffer:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/peter-stoffer-ndp-name-change-1.3289821

quote:

Peter Stoffer, former Nova Scotia MP, suggests dropping N from NDP

Stoffer supports other party reforms including separating federal, provincial wings of the party

The Canadian Press

October 26, 2015

Peter Stoffer, former MP for Nova Scotia riding Sackville-Preston-Chezzetcook, suggests the NDP needs to make some changes. Among them: dropping the N. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

1 shares

126 comments

The New Democratic Party should drop the word "new," says former MP Peter Stoffer.

The 18-year veteran politician, who lost his East Coast riding last week, suggests the New Democrats should consider becoming the Democratic Party.

"It is a simple change, it's superficial ... but if you just call yourselves the Democrats ... people can digest that very easily," he said.

Stoffer, who was among those who pushed for structural party reform in 2001, also favours separating the federal and provincial wings of the NDP.

"If you join, for example, the Ontario NDP, you're an automatic member of the federal NDP," he said. "That has to change.

"We need to break that sort of string that ties us both together ... We're the only party that does that. I've been asking for many, many years now to change it and I think it's time we did that."

He also said the party should abandon the 1961 agreement that brought the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and the Canadian Labour Congress together to form the NDP.

"The reality is, labour votes the way they want to vote and that's the way it should be," he said. "But no political party should be tied to any ... one group over others. We should be a true democratic party for every single Canadian.

"Labour and the NDP need to have that mature conversation and say 'let's be the best of friends, let's ... work together for social change in this country', but don't necessarily need to be formally aligned."

'We thought we had the numbers'

Stoffer is among dozens of defeated New Democrats going through the painful send-off process — clearing offices and saying goodbye to staff.

"I have poor people working for me who are the best in the country and unfortunately they're now unemployed because of what happened," Stoffer said. "I know there's not much we could have done, we ran probably the best campaign we ever did, we thought we had the numbers, it just didn't turn out to be right."

Stoffer will briefly return this week to empty his eccentric Ottawa office, which features a pool table and dozens of hats and buttons he has collected over the years.

This will all be sold off to raise money for charity, he added.

I think becoming the Democrat Party is a bad idea, but separate wings of the party itself could be positive.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
What a petulant baby.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Why does anyone engage swagger on this. Any poster who has looked at a canpol thread in the last 6 months has seen him post the same thing over and over again.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

THC posted:

After 9 years of "Stevie" I think it's fair

Did anyone do this aside from Michael Harris?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Was there a not-lovely conservative minister?

James Moore is the only one I can think of that didn't do or say anything extraordinarily bad.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Health is going to be a big deal if weed is going to get legal

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

- McKenna was on CBC this morning and really needs to go talk to a speech person about her incredible overuse of the phrase "you know".

Seriously. It's a really bad tic. I had to stop listening because it was happening every 10 seconds.

I get that the new ministers want to show that they're going to be different but I kind of wish they had waited to be briefed a tiny bit before rushing to the microphones.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Rona Ambrose is CPC interim leader. Man how awesome a minister she was in Environment and Health. Very effective.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Obama has cancelled Keystone so I guess now everyone can shut up about it

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
There used to be lots of inuit and first nations art in that lobby. The dumbest thing about taking all those paintings and sculptures out is that there are foreign dignitaries going through that lobby all day every day. Instead of showcasing some fine Canadian culture, we opted to show how much we love the Queen, and that's it. Really dumb.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Yep, the Liberals should definitely bring back the first nations art. I'm sure they will, it's a given that they're the most culturally sensitive party and would only ever open the floodgates of poo poo onto a reserve if it was really super needed to increase urban property values or something.

She did not indicate if they supported the plan. I won't leave you guys in suspense, it turns out that they do not.

How does this increase property values?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Apparently Brad Wall is being Canada's Bobby Jindal and asking JT to suspend the refugee program until he can get assurances that no terrorists will be let in

Saskatoon, a prime terror target

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
How are Brad Wall's prospects in next spring's provincial election? Any credible challenge?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

The new more respectful sunnier conservative party ladies and gentleman

Yes, because fearmongering worked so well in the election

As if the UNHCR doesn't already screen them. And the CPC knows this. gently caress these clowns.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Fraternite/Nomenklatura slapfights were yesteryear's THC/PT6A slapfights. Thread never changes.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Oh, I do so hope the new Speaker-to-be rules against something brought by Scheer with the words "as my immediate predecessor decided..."

Can't wait for Scheer to be ruled out of order in QP. Worst speaker ever?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Wait for them to not only pass TPP, but double dairy farmer compensation on top of that.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I don't hear a D in that video but I don't think he said whore. It seems out of place considering the tone of his speech, I dunno.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

Somehow over the course of all those degrees, no one taught him how to actually write a coherent sentence.

Or that the word is "biased" and not "bias". That's the flag for me, when someone uses bias as an adjective.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
[http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/gay-men-will-be-included-among-syrian-refugees-in-addition-to-women-children-families

quote:

The federal government will include gay men among the Syrian refugees it brings into Canada as part of a plan that puts the focus on accepting women, children and families.

The Citizen has learned that while the Liberal government, because of potential security concerns, will not accept lone males — at least during the first wave of migrants — this approach will come with an important caveat. The government is sensitive to the fact that gay men escaping violence in the region could be persecuted, so they will be permitted to come to Canada.

So what's the "gay" screening going to look like?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Of all the campaign promises to break, or at least bend, this one is the most understandable purely from a logistical standpoint. Doesn't stop folks from lording it over them though.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I wonder what the outrage would look like if PM Trudeau had a vagina.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Who missed Hydro One chat?

The new Ontario AG report just dropped, http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_2015_en.htm

The last ever Hydro One report, http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en15/3.06en15.pdf

The tl;dr

Star story, http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...or-general.html

Beaten a few posts above you. You're not earning your red title today :(

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Geoff Regan has been elected Speaker Of The House. With the selection of Senator Furey of NL as Senate Speaker today, we are now lorded over by Atlantic Canada. Mwhahaha

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Cocoham posted:

So if I was to work a minimum wage job, mincome is bumping up my income to (minimum wage + mincome welfare)? Otherwise I don't see the incentive to work minimum wage jobs. Like you said, who the gently caress wants to work $3.75/hour when you can live fine not working at all?

No one is living "fine" on $800/month, that is the catch.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
The press gallery uses PMSH and PMJT pretty regularly on twitter, and have for a while (PMJT is new, obv)

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Last year I was driving in Cape Breton and I stopped to let a teenager walk across a marked cross walk. The car behind me pulled around me without slowing and was literally inches from slamming into her and most likely killing her.

I'm sure other places are bad, but Cape Breton is the most dangerous place I've ever driven. They kill each other with their cars there.

Maybe you've never driven in Quebec. In my time in Cape Breton, the biggest problem was people blocking the road because they were having a conversation with a car going the other way.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

I was actually including the extra two months in that 60% because they changed their 25,000 gov't sponsorships by 2015 to 10,000 gov't and 15,000 private by March 1st, 2016. The other 15,000 gov't sponsorships will happen in 2016 after March 1. The promise was effectively "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees in 2015" and what they're delivering is a rather underwhelming "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees for 2015 and 2016 combined". It's the usual Liberal shell game and I think it's a pretty valid thing to criticize him on.

They said 10,000 of the 25,000 by March 1st will be gov't and they have 3 months to do that, one of which is in 2015. That would distribute about 3,333 gov't sponsored refugees here by Jan 1st meaning they were 87% off on their initial promise and still 60% off by March. WIll they even make 10,000 this year? They have 164 so far and 2.5 weeks to go. Maybe they will keep the shells moving and count privates and gov't sponsorships the conservatives brought in earlier.

E: What a nice new av, I'll try to keep it.

Nothing like this has been done by the public service in over a decade. I think I can forgive the Libs for thinking they could handle it when in fact a lot of that corporate knowledge and experience had moved on during the Harper era. From the inside, I can tell you that I've never seen the machine move so quickly on such a huge scale.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Haha do people really think competitive government procurement could actually happen with this resettlement timeline? Maybe for some things, but the PG community is worked to the bone as it is right now.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Helsing posted:

I don't think anyone has even brought up competitive procurement for what is obviously a priority issue. I do however believe that as a citizen of a democracy it's my right to have my government's spending -- especially when it's been transferred to a private business -- be visible and traceable. And I certainly don't accept that the government can just choose not to tell me this information by mumbling something about "security".

Helsing posted:

It's bizarre to see people pending over backwards to justify the government refusing to disclose who it's paying and how much it is paying them on the grounds of something as nebulous as "security".

This is unacceptable for the very simple reason that it continues the feedback loop between private business and the current governing party. We've got a long history of this in Canada and we know what it creates: a feedback loop of corruption. It amounts on an invisible tax on everything the government does: instead of getting the best deal the government reroutes it's purchases through friendly suppliers and lets them overcharge. Then those politicians get extra money and resources to remain in power.

It's not a matter of this being a large or small purchase. It's about the kind of institutional culture that these attitudes perpetuate. As the old saying goes, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I understood this to be about competitive procurement as well as non-disclosure about vendors used, my apologies if that's not what you meant.

A lot of senior management in the public service is still trying to get over the battered spouse syndrome that the previous government inflicted. If this deference to "national security" continues in a few months then yeah, I think they will deserve all the ire that comes their way.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

McCallum was the one who said they weren't releasing cost for security reasons I believe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12/15/suppliers-for-syrian-refugee-welcome-kits-kept-secret-for-security-reasons_n_8809924.html

quote:

The government is taking "exceptional measures" to provide welcome kits to Syrian refugees, but the suppliers of goods and services will be kept secret for security reasons.

Remi Lariviere, a spokesperson for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, said procuring the items to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees is being done as "efficiently and cost-effectively" as possible. But details around costs will not be disclosed.

"Given the security implications of this initiative, the government of Canada, as per the National Security Exception, will not disclose the identity of any supplier or the location of where the work will be done," he said.

The government website says the exception can be invoked to exclude Canada from international trade agreement obligations for security reasons.

I wonder, if they would do that to avoid NAFTA obligations..

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

yellowcar posted:

gently caress

At least it wasn't rogers, bell, or telus.. right?

:(

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
This is all pretty rich coming from the Fair Elections Act Party.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
A referendum ballot with choices without FPTP would be fine with me.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

PT6A posted:

Dude makes a lot of money, as he's a prime minister and all, why shouldn't he spend it on nice vacations? D'ya expect him to take the Sunwing with the 8-hour unplanned connection to Punta Cana?

The Ottawa Citizen ragged on him for not vacationing in Canada. There's no satisfying some people.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/the-gargoyle-trudeau-reportedly-soaked-up-the-sun-in-caribbean

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
5 dead now. Yeesh.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/northern-saskatchewan-school-in-lockdown-after-shooting/article28351900/

quote:

Five people have been killed during a school shooting incident in northern Saskatchewan, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday.

Earlier reports said two people had died.

RCMP did not release any details about what they called a “serious incident.”

The source was not authorized to speak on the record and requested anonymity.

Premier Brad Wall issued a statement Friday expressing shock and sorrow at what he called “the horrific events” in La Loche.

He also thanked RCMP and emergency personnel who responded quickly.

The shooting happened at the La Loche Community School’s junior and senior high school building, which was put in lockdown, around 1 p.m.

Mounties asked parents and residents to stay away.

“We are in the preliminary stages of investigation,” the RCMP say in a release.

The Ducharme Elementary School a few blocks away was also locked down as a precaution.

“Saskatchewan Education and Social Services will be available to provide all necessary crisis support and counselling services to the school and the community,” Wall said.

La Loche is a remote Dene community of about 3,000 people on the eastern shore of Lac La Loche in the northern boreal forest.

The area’s NDP MP, who attended the same school, was setting up a constituency office in the community when the shooting occurred.

“We’re fairly shaken up. It’s a sad day,” said Georgina Jolibois, who was mayor of La Loche until she was elected federally last fall.

“My own nieces and nephews were inside the school.”

Jolibois said she went to the school and spoke with some of her family members, who were unharmed. She wouldn’t reveal details of the shooting, saying she preferred RCMP to release the information.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
It's almost as if confirmation bias is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Duck Rodgers posted:

Today Mulcair asked Trudeau about his new head of the civil service comparing Carleton grad students to Nazi brown shirts, and Trudeau just said he looked forward to working with Wernick to reestablish the professionalism of the civil service.

I mean, look at these thugs: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155415668400541

To be fair, Carleton produces a lot of assholes. Between Preston Manning dictating the curriculum for their political management school, to having Ian Lee (will answer any journo's call if they want conservative voice, regardless of subject) on their payroll, Carleton can be kinda lovely.