Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
It does. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hank Henshaw had better get reaaaaallllll melty from radiation poisoning at some point in the future. Because why else have him on the show?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not sure why Kara would actually like Schott who seems to be constantly hitting on her and first assumption when she tries to tell him something important about herself is she must be gay because that's the only logical reason she wasn't into him.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

greatn posted:

I'm not sure why Kara would actually like Schott who seems to be constantly hitting on her and first assumption when she tries to tell him something important about herself is she must be gay because that's the only logical reason she wasn't into him.

To me that was the most cringe-worthy line of the entire episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WarLocke posted:

This would explain why there's even a Limitless show. I thought the movie was pretty good but it seemed to be forgotten by everyone almost immediately.

He was executive producer on the movie too so it just seems like an idea that he's super into.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Pan Dulce posted:

EVERYONE looks huge next to Calista Flockheart. It was a point of contention in Ally McBeal that led to a couple of her costars developing eating disorders. And this is Kara Zor-El storyline that's closer to the Modern Age, Post-Infinite Crisis, Supergirl, not World's Finest, Earth-2 Kara Zor-L that becomes your "bodacious" Power Girl. I think Benoist is perfectly cast.

To :goonsay: the gently caress out over my own precious personal opinion, a women that can lift an M1 Abrams should at least look like she hits the gym every now and again.

Applewhite posted:

I would watch a power girl show if they chose an actress who was legit chubby to play her.

I don't think Power girl is chubby, she's just- big multiple ways in a manner that is not really considered ideal in modern America.

There is no :goonsay: big enough for that line.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

V-Men posted:

To me that was the most cringe-worthy line of the entire episode.

I liked it because it was obvious the show intended for Schott to come off as a douche and that men who assume they're owed sexual attention from women are douchebaggy.
I dunno why Kara hangs out with him though. He gave off a real "Loser Cameraman from Megamind" vibe.

Klaus88 posted:

To :goonsay: the gently caress out over my own precious personal opinion, a women that can lift an M1 Abrams should at least look like she hits the gym every now and again.

I don't think Power girl is chubby, she's just- big multiple ways in a manner that is not really considered ideal in modern America.

There is no :goonsay: big enough for that line.

Preach brother. Powergirl's best comic run was under Amanda Conner and the only power girl canon I recognize are ones that portray her as thiiiiiik.

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013
Lol if you cynical chucklefucks think Gotham is a better show than this. Sorry that this story of a lady who punches people through trucks isn't edgy enough for you

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one in the world thinks Gotham is a better show than anything. Is Scarecrow a major character in it? Cause you seem to be attacking a straw man.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ShakeZula posted:

Well she's not a reporter, she's a lowly assistant, so it makes sense that her office friends are other administrative support staff. Someone of Olsen's level being especially nice to her definitely caught her off guard.

She's the assistant of the owner, you've clearly never worked white collar to know what kind of power that means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

She hasn't actually been doing anything like that, though. They said in the episode it was the first time she had used her powers in a long time.

if you look at set photos from later episodes it does look like she's been doing a lot of training anyway. This was only a pilot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny because over in the comics movie thread people are saying Superman should actually be gaunt or lanky due to the nature of his powers, nothing in earth gravity could actually tax him enough to cause visible muscles to develop.

And they ain't wrong.

Similar with Supergirl, her body for should basically just be a reflection of whatever she eats and whatever metabolism her various powers take up, because she can bench a ton all day and there will be no strain so she ain't gonna get biceps.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aphrodite posted:

She hasn't actually been doing anything like that, though. They said in the episode it was the first time she had used her powers in a long time.

if you look at set photos from later episodes it does look like she's been doing a lot of training anyway. This was only a pilot.

This was also shot at least 6 months ago, maybe close to 8 or 9. She's bulked up a bit since then

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Klaus88 posted:

This raises some interesting questions about Superman/Supergirl. How do people who are unnaturally strong develop hypertrophy? Take the 1979 Superman, for example. Baby Kal El can lift a four ton truck like it's nothing, how does adolescent or adult Kal El challenge his muscles? Does he even need to?

e:f,b.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 29, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman obviously enters the bottle city of Kandor, where he is powerless, 3 times a week to hit the gym.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Superman trains in the hyperbolic time chamber which has 100 times normal earth gravity.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

as the last member of his race he

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

uh, he

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

greatn posted:

Superman trains in the hyperbolic time chamber which has 100 times normal earth gravity.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

as the last member of his race he

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

uh, he

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Well Goku has officially been levelled up to the point where his punches can destroy universes now if he doesn't control them properly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

This raises some interesting questions about Superman/Supergirl. How do people who are unnaturally strong develop hypertrophy? Take the 1979 Superman, for example. Baby Kal El can lift a four ton truck like it's nothing, how does adolescent or adult Kal El challenge his muscles? Does he even need to?

His physique is an expression of his powers. That's why he gets all scrawny when his powers are failing him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Kodiak posted:

His physique is an expression of his powers. That's why he gets all scrawny when his powers are failing him.

Also Flashpoint has Kal in a red sun chamber and he was all skinny, but as soon as he got out into the sun he gained his powers. And then killed a bunch of people. Flashpoint is bad.

I looked up what Power Girl looks like in Conner's run, and she doesn't seem thick at all. Musclar yes, but not thick. Though if you look at Kingdom Come she's pretty build.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
She looks great as Supergirl, you guys are crazy.

Pilot felt like they rushed through half a season. When shows speed through plot in the pilot, it usually says to me they want to quickly get it to the villain of the week stage. Season 1 Flash was awesome because they had this great season long build up and even the one-off episodes built towards that. This combined with the heavy handedness and crappy dialogue makes me worried the show won't be very good. We'll see if stuff picks up after the pilot though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

rapeface posted:

She looks great as Supergirl, you guys are crazy.

Pilot felt like they rushed through half a season. When shows speed through plot in the pilot, it usually says to me they want to quickly get it to the villain of the week stage.

Good. Seems like a lot of shows these days need to have a needlessly drawn out, complicated and tedious plot arc running through it to pad out an episode and drag the momentum and entertainment to a halt. Hopefully this show will be good old fashioned story of the week fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's not that, it's just that to me, they wasted several episodes worth of material in that pilot.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Also Flashpoint has Kal in a red sun chamber and he was all skinny, but as soon as he got out into the sun he gained his powers. And then killed a bunch of people. Flashpoint is bad.

I looked up what Power Girl looks like in Conner's run, and she doesn't seem thick at all. Musclar yes, but not thick. Though if you look at Kingdom Come she's pretty build.

I looked back at the Amanda Connor Power Girl series and you're right. I guess I was just remembering through rose colored glasses.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
FYI: The show moves to 8pm starting Monday since TBBT moves back to Thursday.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

rapeface posted:

Pilot felt like they rushed through half a season. When shows speed through plot in the pilot, it usually says to me they want to quickly get it to the villain of the week stage. Season 1 Flash was awesome because they had this great season long build up and even the one-off episodes built towards that. This combined with the heavy handedness and crappy dialogue makes me worried the show won't be very good. We'll see if stuff picks up after the pilot though.

Berlanti's always been really big on getting the trivial poo poo out of the way. That's why on Flash/Arrow whenever you see them start some romantic/family tension/whatever the gently caress subplot that would take up half a season on another show, it's almost always resolved within like three episodes tops. See: Joe telling Iris about her mother, and instead of Iris getting upset and spending like five episodes not talking to him, her saying, "It's okay, I understand why you did what you did." Boom, done, next plot point.

I think they decided, and rightly so IMO, that we don't need to see the origin story drawn out over half a season. One of the reasons they keep loving up Batman is they keep insisting that the audience needs to re-experience the origin story every time. They dragged out Arrow because it was their first comic show and they weren't sure the audience was going to be on board with it; with Flash they took care of the necessary bits in the first couple of episodes, and with Supergirl I think they just want to get her trashing Kryptonians ASAP.

Next week should give us a pretty good idea of how the pacing's going to work over the long term. I'm still hopeful the show can settle in and get really good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been trying to watch the pilot for three days now, and I can't stand it for more than 10 minutes. The writing is all over the place and the dialogue is just way too corny. The lead actress is awesome, but that's the only thing the show has going for it right now.

I'm hopeful though. Both Agents of Shield and The Arrow started out terrible and became good. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

I've been trying to watch the pilot for three days now, and I can't stand it for more than 10 minutes. The writing is all over the place and the dialogue is just way too corny. The lead actress is awesome, but that's the only thing the show has going for it right now.

I'm hopeful though. Both Agents of Shield and The Arrow started out terrible and became good. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Pretend it's Golden Age Supergirl! Then the cheesiness is a feature instead of a bug and you're free to enjoy some legit fantastic moments in between the eye rolling melodrama.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Preview from the next ep. Pretty great effects.

"Your cousin" jar: $1 so far.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pretty much episode one is a great big in your face "we are so TOTALLY NOT Smallville".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

Preview from the next ep. Pretty great effects.

"Your cousin" jar: $1 so far.

Lookin' good! Dialog's snappier too, although that was like a 30 second clip, so probably not indicative. Still, one can hope.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
The pilot was cheesy, lighthearted and fun. Basically, this is the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt version of Supergirl.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Pretend it's Golden Age Supergirl! Then the cheesiness is a feature instead of a bug and you're free to enjoy some legit fantastic moments in between the eye rolling melodrama.

I'll have to pretend pretty hard, considering there was no Golden Age Supergirl. The character did not debut until a few years into the Silver Age.
:goonsay:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Golden Age Superman Girl.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If it's silver age I wonder when they'll do this episode:

He's saying cousin the required amount of times.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm honestly rooting for it to be set in the modern age instead and for her sister to be revealed as Alex "Linda" Danvers and get possessed by an angel at some point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
will this be as good as the wonder woman pilot where she had three secret identies, yelled "DON'T COMMERCIALIZE MY TITS", and had a theme about how due process is actually bad

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also will this be the supergirl who was actually a clone from a pocket dimension named matrix who also merged with a literal angel and had shapeshifting powers and flaming wings

it was a really simple origin, can't see why no one remembers it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They'll have the Alt Universe story where Power Girl shows up and there will be boob window jokes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

also will this be the supergirl who was actually a clone from a pocket dimension named matrix who also merged with a literal angel and had shapeshifting powers and flaming wings
Like I said: God willing!

(Linda Danvers is objectively the best Supergirl sorry Kara)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
edit: diregard, i'm a dumb.

• Locked thread