Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
If Kryptonians are such ballers under a yellow sun why didn't they all leave for planets with yellow suns centuries ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Depending on the story, lots of them did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Over the years there have been many different reasons why Kryptonians never travelled, like they would get sick if they left or they were extremely xenophobic and didn't want to have anything to do with alien races.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes it's as simple as super tight emigration controls, sometimes Superman is modified by his parents somehow, or growing up under a yellow sun as a baby acclimates him in a way adult Kryptonians aren't.

Man of Steel did a variation on the latter.

Sometimes they just didn't know that yellow suns would make them kick rear end.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kraps posted:

Sups wink/eyebrow game on point

Why did they dress Captain Sternn up in a cape? :confused:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm not super well versed on DC lore. wtf is a dominator?

https://twitter.com/TheCWSupergirl/status/781539039853748224

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dominators are Legion villains, right? Hmm...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Dominators are Legion villains, right? Hmm...

Originally yes but they've been a modern day threat to the DCU since the 80's.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gatito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwU3p2fLtQg
Smiles, winks, inspires...
Yup, this is the superman we know and love.
Would it really be that hard to do something like that at the big screen?
Here it is with another score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrngeEuYh8

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

I'm not super well versed on DC lore. wtf is a dominator?

quote:

They are highly technologically advanced, and live in a rigid hierarchical society, in which one's caste is determined by the size of a red circle on one's forehead.

They better not change that detail

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Have they said how they're going to bring Supergirl into the Earth-1 universe? I'm catching up on season 1 now, but I'm sure there's nothing about it in there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think they are permanently.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That really is the One True Superman music.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ice cold horchata posted:

Have they said how they're going to bring Supergirl into the Earth-1 universe? I'm catching up on season 1 now, but I'm sure there's nothing about it in there.

Flashpoint, prob.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's weird, simply adding that soundtrack made the special effects/acting look about 30% worse. I guess it conditioned me to be looking for the seams.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not only have they established that Flash can run between dimensions, Wells can relatively easily build machines to go back and forthm, and Rip Hunter has a spaceship capable of it but Cisco's actual super powers include opening portals to other dimensions.

So there's really no hurdle or need in connecting Supergirl's world to Flash/Arrow's. It's more a question of finding a reason for them all to crossover with a mutual threat. But even there you could just have Supergirl's fly too fast and crash through dimensions like how Flash ended up in hers. Or a villain who can jump around, which we've already seen in Zoom and arguably Savage.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly I like that Kara and Clark are off in their universe. It cuts down on the "Why doesn't Ollie call up Supergirl to deal with rogue nuclear missiles? :downs:" complaints.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

howe_sam posted:

Honestly I like that Kara and Clark are off in their universe. It cuts down on the "Why doesn't Ollie call up Supergirl to deal with rogue nuclear missiles? :downs:" complaints.

Doesn't this come up in the comics too? I know this was a major complaint about the Marvel movies but come on, people should give it a rest already.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kraps posted:

Doesn't this come up in the comics too? I know this was a major complaint about the Marvel movies but come on, people should give it a rest already.

WHY DIDNT THEY JUST USE THE TIME TURNER TO KILL VOLDEMORT AS A BABY

AND WHY WOULD YOU ISSUE THIS DEVICE TO A TWELVE YEAR OLD

My immersion :argh:

Deuce fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 29, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

How does Superman shave?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His fingernails, his heat vision in a mirror, or inside the bottle city of Kandor.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Kraps posted:

Sups wink/eyebrow game on point

Pale Dinesh is cute. Always blue!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love how nonsensical the heat vision in the mirror thing is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mastajake posted:

Post Crisis Clark used a piece of Kryptonian metal from the ship that brought him to Earth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He can presumably control the intensity of his heat vision.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Kraps posted:

I've always wanted, for example, Steve Rodgers to try calling Tony Stark in a movie but for Tony to not answer. Then in the next Iron Man movie while in the heat of battle have Jarvis or whatever his ai is called these days say "incoming call from Steve Rodgers" and Tony yells "a little busy right now Jarvis!"

Just to show that sometimes they might be dealing with poo poo of their own at the same time and give anyone who complains about them not always teaming up a plausible explanation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

I've always wanted, for example, Steve Rodgers to try calling Tony Stark in a movie but for Tony to not answer. Then in the next Iron Man movie while in the heat of battle have Jarvis or whatever his ai is called these days say "incoming call from Steve Rodgers" and Tony yells "a little busy right now Jarvis!"

Just to show that sometimes they might be dealing with poo poo of their own at the same time and give anyone who complains about them not always teaming up a plausible explanation.

"I don't have a phone, tell him to send a raven."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kraps posted:

When done well, the explanation is that there are so many threats to Earth and its citizens at any given time that everyone handles things at different levels. Superman can't help you take down the Riddler, even if a bomb is going to kill orphans, because Granny Goodness just sent an army to blow up Earth because Wonder Woman rejected Darkseid again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One more reason Justice League Unlimited is the best piece of superhero media.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

mastajake posted:

"Heat vision" should be the ability to see heat.

Since eyes are light receptors, not projectors the concept of radiant heat vision is nonsensical from the start. Or maybe Kryptonians can also project sound waves out of their ears and use their tongues to instill flavours into food. :iiam:

All that aside, this season looks promising.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

"Heat vision" should be the ability to see heat.

Since eyes are light receptors, not projectors the concept of radiant heat vision is nonsensical from the start. Or maybe Kryptonians can also project sound waves out of their ears and use their tongues to instill flavours into food. :iiam:

All that aside, this season looks promising.

My understanding of how he got heat vision was that it kind of branched off from super vision. A writer goes "he can see through stuff with x-ray vision," someone else says "actually, he needs to be able to project x-rays from his eyes for that to work" which turns into "he can heat stuff up by shooting x-ray vision at it" and ends up with "he can shoot heat rays out of his eyes."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

When done well, the explanation is that there are so many threats to Earth and its citizens at any given time that everyone handles things at different levels. Superman can't help you take down the Riddler, even if a bomb is going to kill orphans, because Granny Goodness just sent an army to blow up Earth because Wonder Woman rejected Darkseid again.

Batman is just territorial. He doesn't need help, stay out of Gotham.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

McDragon posted:

How does Superman shave?

Presumably the same way Supergirl does.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BreakAtmo posted:

Presumably the same way Supergirl does.

Sometimes the fan fiction writes itself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've been rewatching select episodes from last season, and the next thread title has to be The non-threatening cast of a CW show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

One more reason Justice League Unlimited is the best piece of superhero media.

One of the best episodes was when the Justice League fought a wizard who was summoning an army of demons, but all that happened off screen. The episode was actually about some random low-level superhero who had been put on crowd control duty during the wizard battle and discovered that a scientist had accidentally unleashed a miniature black hole that was going to swallow the city.

That's what I'm hoping for from the crossover, each hero deals with their own part of the Dominator invasion, and it ends with each of them thinking they saved the world

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was Green Lantern.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Tree Dude posted:

Jarvis or whatever his ai is called these days

Friday

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the best episodes was when the Justice League fought a wizard who was summoning an army of demons, but all that happened off screen. The episode was actually about some random low-level superhero who had been put on crowd control duty during the wizard battle and discovered that a scientist had accidentally unleashed a miniature black hole that was going to swallow the city.

Booster Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Booster Gold

No it was Green Lantern

• Locked thread