Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A grizzled noir bracer detective man, hellbent on finding out who's been putting the cats in the trees in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They already made Sky 3rd though.
I don't know if I'm missing the joke really hard here but i was responding to a post about how sky 3rd does not have these things

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah I somehow misread your post as wanting a game without filler quests.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that basically was 85% of sky 1 and thats why I liked it so much. just exploring this world helping people out. very relaxed. even the big plot stuff at the end isnt that big of a deal for the world.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

A game where you play a custom Bracer with no real connection to the larger story and you're just dealing with Bracer stuff and raising your rank to unlock more difficult quests while enjoying the locales in one of the countries of Zemuria would be fine by me.

Yes please. At least one of the Pokemon Ranger games was pretty much this and I loved it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
still playing Ys 8, just found Silvia and I am very mad that she's apparently not a playable character. optional boss is okay but goddammit i want to play as gladiator grandma

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

playable old women in a video game?? haha, you must be crazy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amppelix posted:

playable old women in a video game?? haha, you must be crazy

And by old of course we mean '30+.'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If I didn't enjoy CS3, is it worth bothering with CS4? I want to see Estelle and Lloyd again and I want more Ouroboros closure, but I'm so sick of Rean.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Some Numbers posted:

If I didn't enjoy CS3, is it worth bothering with CS4? I want to see Estelle and Lloyd again and I want more Ouroboros closure, but I'm so sick of Rean.

No

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't know why you're all so down on CS4. I enjoyed it. It tied up a bunch of loose ends, some of them not very satisfyingly. I admit I basically inject anything Falcom does into my veins so I'm not objective, but I liked it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh no I liked CS4 but I also liked C3 and Rean.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

I don't know why you're all so down on CS4. I enjoyed it. It tied up a bunch of loose ends, some of them not very satisfyingly. I admit I basically inject anything Falcom does into my veins so I'm not objective, but I liked it.
It was a blast

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I mean, Rean is missing for like half of CS4 and it has a decent chunk of Estelle and Lloyd content so maybe you’d like it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Scrap Dragon posted:

I mean, Rean is missing for like half of CS4 and it has a decent chunk of Estelle and Lloyd content so maybe you’d like it

This give me hope.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It's not half the game it's the first of four acts and his return brings with it all the same baggage that bogs down the rest of the CS series.

I know I'm in the minority in this thread for my dislike of 4 but if you're coming in from the position of disliking 3 then you've probably got more in common with me than most others here.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

This give me hope.

The whole time Rean isn't on screen everyone is asking where Rean is. I really like Rean, but if you don't you will not enjoy the game.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

CS4 is a lot of Falcom's extremes. It spends a little bit of time with nearly all of the characters they've introduced across the series so far, so if you're here for just running around town talking to NPCs and want another chance to hang out with Randy, it's got that for you. It's also got so much great quality of life stuff that it's hard to believe how far they've come after what felt like a long period of mechanical stagnation.

It's tied to the dumbest loving story they've ever written, wherein they take some elements of the world and characterization they've been building up for, like, 8 games now and slam dunk them into the trash so they can bring in a villain stupider and more left field than you'd expect from an early Final Fantasy game. And you're getting the opposite of closure about Ouroboros. That shouldn't be very surprising though, they've been a lot less the focus in Cold Steel than either of the previous arcs.

In short: if you still love hanging out with Anton, play it. If you care about the story at all, run away. Personally I would be really salty if I'd gone through it myself, but watching my wife play I could be exasperated and roll my eyes from a safe enough distance to appreciate the Anton bits.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's just following in the grand tradition of the longrunning Shounen manga Trails has been aping from the start where the final arcs write checks that it can't cash but there are enough bits with characters you've gotten to know for 500+ chapters that it still feels like a good enough a place as any to end it all.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I do not like Rean, but I did like CS4 so ymmv

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
CS4 has playable Duvalie who fangirls out over meeting Cassius Bright so in conclusion it's empirically a good video game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ethiser posted:

The whole time Rean isn't on screen everyone is asking where Rean is. I really like Rean, but if you don't you will not enjoy the game.

Why do Estelle and Joshua even care about Rean? For that matter, Lloyd should still be pissed at him over the whole "I helped annex Crossbell" thing.

Edit: okay I'm actually glad I clicked that spoiler.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Some Numbers posted:

Why do Estelle and Joshua even care about Rean? For that matter, Lloyd should still be pissed at him over the whole "I helped annex Crossbell" thing.

Edit: okay I'm actually glad I clicked that spoiler.

Because Juna and Tita care

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Irony.or.Death posted:

CS4 is a lot of Falcom's extremes. It spends a little bit of time with nearly all of the characters they've introduced across the series so far, so if you're here for just running around town talking to NPCs and want another chance to hang out with Randy, it's got that for you. It's also got so much great quality of life stuff that it's hard to believe how far they've come after what felt like a long period of mechanical stagnation.

It's tied to the dumbest loving story they've ever written, wherein they take some elements of the world and characterization they've been building up for, like, 8 games now and slam dunk them into the trash so they can bring in a villain stupider and more left field than you'd expect from an early Final Fantasy game. And you're getting the opposite of closure about Ouroboros. That shouldn't be very surprising though, they've been a lot less the focus in Cold Steel than either of the previous arcs.

In short: if you still love hanging out with Anton, play it. If you care about the story at all, run away. Personally I would be really salty if I'd gone through it myself, but watching my wife play I could be exasperated and roll my eyes from a safe enough distance to appreciate the Anton bits.

This is basically how I feel about CS4 but I still kinda like it. The most egregious parts of it though are some of the worst stuff to come from Falcom.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CS4 has a better ending than Bleach

I liked CS4 overall more than CS3, but it still has its moments of bleh.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty much every single interaction in 4 between party members from different arcs goes like this:

"I am honoured to finally meet you. I have heard so much about you, and also you are very cool."
"Oh no, not at all. In fact, it is I who is honoured to meet you. You are the very cool one here."
"Let us continue to express our humility and graciousness. Also Agate you should totally hook up with Tita."

Very little of their actual character gets to shine through, probably because they had to write so drat many of these cookie cutter scenes.

e; I suppose I should say as a disclaimer I played in Japanese, I have no idea if the English script was tidied up at all.

Bland fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 24, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, at least in regards to Lloyd, they've already had a direct fight at the end of 2, where the end result was basically respect, and the Crossbell section of 3 where it was ended with him expressing thanks for helping the city while Operation Birdcage was in effect. Being confused about why Lloyd isn't angry at him about the "annex Crossbell thing" just implies someone haven't paid any attention to that plotline for the entire series - it's not something magically new to 4. Particularly given Rean's had heavy interaction with both Randy and Tio by that point who'd be feeding information back.

It's fine to not LIKE that aspect (and it's always been present in every arc, due to the shonen-like themes running throughout), but it certainly didn't come out of left field in 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

Pretty much every single interaction in 4 between party members from different arcs goes like this:

"I am honoured to finally meet you. I have heard so much about you, and also you are very cool."
"Oh no, not at all. In fact, it is I who is honoured to meet you. You are the very cool one here."
"Let us continue to express our humility and graciousness. Also Agate you should totally hook up with Tita."

Very little of their actual character gets to shine through, probably because they had to write so drat many of these cookie cutter scenes.

e; I suppose I should say as a disclaimer I played in Japanese, I have no idea if the English script was tidied up at all.

No that basically sums it up.

CS4 is utterly terrified of having any character have even the mildest antagonism with one another so it doesn't matter who you are they're all going to be besties and if they aren't it is just because you haven't punched best friendship into them.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CS4 is mortally terrified of any sort of interpersonal conflict whatsoever let alone between playable characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is partly why duvalies the best character just because shes allowed to be petty and spiteful

shes comically ineffectual but its why all the funniest lines come from her

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

this is partly why duvalies the best character just because shes allowed to be petty and spiteful

:agreed:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

This at least I can agree with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

This is very true. Though I wish we'd got to see her beat the poo poo out of Rufus.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

This is very true. Though I wish we'd got to see her beat the poo poo out of Rufus.

I wish the whole cast got a chance at that

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, at least in regards to Lloyd, they've already had a direct fight at the end of 2, where the end result was basically respect, and the Crossbell section of 3 where it was ended with him expressing thanks for helping the city while Operation Birdcage was in effect. Being confused about why Lloyd isn't angry at him about the "annex Crossbell thing" just implies someone haven't paid any attention to that plotline for the entire series - it's not something magically new to 4. Particularly given Rean's had heavy interaction with both Randy and Tio by that point who'd be feeding information back.

It's fine to not LIKE that aspect (and it's always been present in every arc, due to the shonen-like themes running throughout), but it certainly didn't come out of left field in 4.

I don't think it's out of left field, but tbh I was super weirded out that Tio and Randy were so cool with Rean.

But then Falcom can't get enough of shoving Rean adoration down our throats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think it's out of left field, but tbh I was super weirded out that Tio and Randy were so cool with Rean.

But then Falcom can't get enough of shoving Rean adoration down our throats.
i dont think its really a rean specific thing, the cold steel cast are in love with lloyd just from vaguely hearing about him once too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah Rean rules, it isn't his fault that every other character in the series is written to worship the ground he walks on.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This is the same series that had Zero/Ao's cast still be mostly fine with Mariabelle at the end of Ao - I actually thing their reaction to her in CS4 is a lot better - and still has Bleublanc be a mostly positively received character after being maliciously gleeful about attempting to burn Nord to the ground in CS2. No, everyone getting along with everyone (for the most part) is not something magically unique to Rean.

Hell, there's the "tragedy" of all the ILF members, despite that the only one with a real legitimate grievance we should sympathize with being S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Lmao https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1375108940971659268?s=20