Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt the backstories are foreshadowing. They are just kind of boring backstories.

The happiness stone has to be because man does it do nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The doors are just backstories for characters you presumably care about or are invested in. Some are important for future events but mostly they serve as rewards for the player if they like the characters and want to learn more about them.

Like the three goons from Ruan learning about the meaning of teamwork and winning a fight against Agate doesn't mean anything for the future, but yeah I kinda liked these recurring npcs and I was happy to spend an hour hanging out with them as they become bracers.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Don't know if Osborne talk is done but...

As someone with the rare experience of only having played Cold Steel 1 and 2 so far, Osbrone so far comes off as a pretty compelling antagonist.

Like, dude has a vision for Erebonia, through commoner reforms and annexing surrounding territories for economic growth. And he has a charisma that you can understand why someone like Machias' dad would work with him. But there's this underlying worry that the reforms and expansion are only benefiting him alone, and if getting Carl over to his side was manipulating his hate for Nobles with his niece's suicide. Then there's his uncaring ruthlessness in getting his way, Vulcan is one thing but I did understand from Scarlet's story and what happened to Jurai City and C that Osborne will trample over anyone who would stand in his way.

Then there's the Finale of CS2 where I fully believed his threat to crush Ouroboros underneath his heel if they got in his way was genuine and something he could actually do, what with how he walked onto the scene like Crow didn't shoot him in the heart and revealed that he was pulling the strings on all sides of the war with Rufus and the Imperial Army.

And then there's the thing with him being Rean's biological dad. It puts a whole new spin, because to me at least, the way he appeared in Rean's memory and spoke looked like someone who genuinely cared for his son. But now Osborne is using that connection to emotionally manipulate Rean into working for him. So does he still care for Rean, did he ever, or does he see Rean as another pawn for his agenda?

edit:

I'm going to get into the Sky Trilogy next and probably see a recap of Zero/Azure unless the official American releases come, but it's going to be interesting seeing what people think of Osborne and Erebonia as a whole from an outsider perspective

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 28, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I think we could have done without the Schera door. It contributes nothing and is just fluff, and wasn't even very entertaining fluff in of itself.

The only worthwhile doors where the Agate and Tita one, the Kloe one, the Happiness Stone one, the Richard one, and the Olivier one (which really should have been a post-credits scene for SC). I'd skip the rest.

Recommending people skip Star Doors 14 and 15 alone makes this unacceptable.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Star door 14 was just vapid teasing. It doesn't tell you anything of substance; it's just people standing around playing the pronoun game and pretending that things are happening but doesn't tell you what.

I know people rave about Star Door 15, but honestly I will never like the character. She is unenjoyable to watch and detracts from my enjoyment of the game whenever she is onscreen. SC She inexplicably gets a pass for all the mass murder she committed in SC. 3rd She is turned into the objection of the main characters' affection for no reason, but at least that story was wrapped up in 3rd so I don't have to see her again... Zero oh wait, that exact same story arc is repeated in Zero (again) and even worse, it comes at the expense of the main characters of the game I was supposed to be following (the SSS), as rather than the climax of the game being about the SSS, it's instead about Renne (when her story was already wrapped up in 3rd). And then she continues to haunt the franchise after that, and she isn't even enjoyable in her future appearances. She is insufferable.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008
I'd be more willing to believe the Happiness Stone story was just fluff if the things didn't keep showing up. I don't think they ever explicitly call them Happiness Stones after 3rd, but stones matching the description keep appearing. They're usually said to have some sort of warmth to them, and they always seem to be a perfect fit for whatever someone tries to set them in. Including the one in Sky 3rd, I think we're up to four now:
  • Zero: Shizuku finds one that she uses to make a pendant for Arios in a sidequest.
  • CS2: Anton gets one to go in the bracelet he gives to Sharon in the hidden quest in the epilogue.
  • Hajimari/Reverie: Cerberus finds one and gives it to Jingo. She trades it to Beryl (who recognizes it as being like one that appeared in Liberl), and that's the first link in a chain of trades that end with Jingo getting her own airship.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I guess Ouroboros new plan "Eternal Bad Opinion" is reaching it's next phase because wow at this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Star door 14 was just vapid teasing. It doesn't tell you anything of substance; it's just people standing around playing the pronoun game and pretending that things are happening but doesn't tell you what.

I know people rave about Star Door 15, but honestly I will never like the character. She is unenjoyable to watch and detracts from my enjoyment of the game whenever she is onscreen. SC She inexplicably gets a pass for all the mass murder she committed in SC. 3rd She is turned into the objection of the main characters' affection for no reason, but at least that story was wrapped up in 3rd so I don't have to see her again... Zero oh wait, that exact same story arc is repeated in Zero (again) and even worse, it comes at the expense of the main characters of the game I was supposed to be following (the SSS), as rather than the climax of the game being about the SSS, it's instead about Renne (when her story was already wrapped up in 3rd). And then she continues to haunt the franchise after that, and she isn't even enjoyable in her future appearances. She is insufferable.
Renne is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My advice to new players on what long, boring, offputting walls of texts to skip? This thread. Do not read or post in it. I will take this advice going forward and I pray for others to do the same. For their own sakes. Farewell, everyone *vanishes from the series like kurt* *sky kurt not cold steel kurt*

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Apparently Unisuga leaving Falcom was fake.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 28, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Unisuga leaving was actually fake news, he will stay a loyal salaryman

I personally love Renne. Is it confirmed all those guards died in SC or were they just unconscious as is typical for these games?

The episodes in Hajimari/Reverie overall were much are enjoyable and actually kind of a nice break from the main story and reverie corridor.

At least in TC you just have to do the doors once and if you feel like NG+ they're basically all skippable and the main story is actually rather short.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Renne strikes me more as someone else's idea of a cool character than as a particularly good character.

She did introduce us (sort of) to the DthereforeG cult, which is dark and interesting and flushes out the setting a ton. There's something to be said about Ouroboros as an organization when you can point to various members and say "they seemed to treat her well" and this other fuckin' nightmare factory and say "the horrors faced all but guaranteed she would be one of us"

Storywise, I don't feel like there's anything that Renne does that's not done better by someone else in the same game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Renne is snarky and I like the snark

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Seriously wondering how anyone could ever play anything past 3rd if they hate Star Door 14/15.

Also Renne is good.

infraboy posted:

I personally love Renne. Is it confirmed all those guards died in SC or were they just unconscious as is typical for these games?

Renne's pile might be alive just because of the whole promise with Loewe earlier.

Everyone else's is definitely loving dead. I mean, can you imagine Walter leaving people unconscious?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It seems weird to focus on Rennewhich she isn’t the first one to do that.

It was Richard

Also I forgot Richards door which doesn’t add much but I liked him and thought it was a great way to end his arc.

Also how was her story wrapped up. It ended specifically with the characters telling you it ain’t over

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 29, 2021

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was Richard

Also I forgot Richards door which doesn’t add much but I liked him and thought it was a great way to end his arc.

Also how was her story wrapped up. It ended specifically with the characters telling you it ain’t over

FC Richard wasn't a murderer. He didn't kill anyone during his coup. His motive wasn't throwing killing people for fun or throwing a temper tantrum. He was the only man willing to step up to the plate and save the country while the Queen was doing nothing and allowing her country to fall into ruin. SC Ironically Liberl only escapes conquest because of Richard's military build up and training, which was condemned by the protagonists for... reasons.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

FC Richard wasn't a murderer. He didn't kill anyone during his coup. His motive wasn't throwing killing people for fun or throwing a temper tantrum. He was the only man willing to step up to the plate and save the country while the Queen was doing nothing and allowing her country to fall into ruin. SC Ironically Liberl only escapes conquest because of Richard's military build up and training, which was condemned by the protagonists for... reasons.

Lol you missed the whole point of his arc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Moofia Boss Val posted:

SC Ironically Liberl only escapes conquest because of Richard's military build up and training, which was condemned by the protagonists for... reasons.

did you skip the whole second half of the game or what

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Cleretic level understanding of story as always

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hwurmp posted:

did you skip the whole second half of the game or what

That is what a Moofia does.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Please tell me you read the games in Google Translate, that would make me feel a lot better.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was Richard

3rd spoilers:
Personally, I've always felt a bit puzzled that Richard would quit the Royal Army and its Intelligence Division, only to found what's essentially a private Intelligence Division who basically ends up doing the same thing as the army's Intelligence Division used to do, except it also handles private requests. Given some of the secrets they're privy to, you'd think you'd want an Intelligence Division to act with oversight from either military command or the Royal family. Given Richard's patriotism, it doesn't make a great deal of difference in practice, but Liberl could be in serious trouble if he went MIA and command would transfer to someone else.

One neat little thing I did like about that door was:

3rd and Trails to Azure spoilers:
that it literally namedrops "the Reins brothers" as being operatives working under Richard. (stationed in Ored at the time the door takes place) Then in the next game you walk into the Crossbell Times and run into a junior reporter called Reins who's basically being used by Grace as her personal photographer and gofer and if you do an obscure sidequest near the end of Azure, you catch him (or rather he allows you to) relaying the situation to the colonel director and he admits to Lloyd that he's an intelligence operative who's in Crossbell to keep an eye on the situation there on behalf of Liberlian intelligence.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

3rd and Trails to Azure spoilers:
that it literally namedrops "the Reins brothers" as being operatives working under Richard. (stationed in Ored at the time the door takes place) Then in the next game you walk into the Crossbell Times and run into a junior reporter called Reins who's basically being used by Grace as her personal photographer and gofer and if you do an obscure sidequest near the end of Azure, you catch him (or rather he allows you to) relaying the situation to the colonel director and he admits to Lloyd that he's an intelligence operative who's in Crossbell to keep an eye on the situation there on behalf of Liberlian intelligence.

I forgot about the 3rd part of that, but I remember the Azure part and loved that callback.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I find it hard to believe that (FC and SC stuff) Richard's actions lead to absolutely nobody getting killed, since even excusing the black ops unit he's in command of, we learn in SC his second-in-command is ready and willing to murder her own people with a tank just to break him out of his 'committed high treason' jail sentence.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I liked Richard’s little redemption arc personally. He showed genuine remorse and Cassius never gave up on him.

He’s also pretty badass in the party in TC.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 29, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

replaying ys 1, someone please let me out of Dark Fact's Pinball Palace, it sucks and the floor is made of cheap particle board

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You may not get out of Dark Fact's Pinball Palace

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hwurmp posted:

You may not get out of Dark Fact's Pinball Palace

who can say if anyone ever did

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

is a Dark Fact kind of like a joker's trick

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The darkest fact is that you may not get out of Dark Fact's Pinball Palace

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i beat him through the power of brute force and luck, gently caress you dark fact your tickets are mine

i'm buying a magic wand at the prize counter and learning to shoot fireballs, just to spite you

Draxion posted:

is a Dark Fact kind of like a joker's trick

it is joker's trick in boss fight form

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thinking back on my TCS2 playthrough, the second Bonding Event with Emma has the choice to comment if she looks better with or without her glasses on

I chose the without glasses options, thinking it was going to lead to something later in the game, but nothing happened

Was there something I missed, or is that only if you chose Emma as the LI?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You didn't miss anything.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You get CS4 where she rockets from least interesting to most interesting.

I beat Dark Fact first try, on easy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Grandma Dr. Hamilton

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-details-12-more-sub-characters

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Haha wtf is this dude's weapon?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a longsword, have you never played Monster Hunter

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it looks more like a Gunlance.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It opens up into one of those math compasses because he needs to draw really big circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Haha wtf is this dude's weapon?

Looks kinda like Berserker if that was entirely a sword.