Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Im mad Elise and Alfin were only playable for like 5 minutes each of CS2.
you'll grind out the reverie corridor with them and you'll like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
That's okay, cause the less Elise and Alfin are around, the better!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like elise and alfin a lot...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alfin sure dishes it out a lot for someone who can't take it. :colbert:

That's why she's good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alfin absolutely rules

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Alfin is an annoying ditz and Elise is walking light novel siscon stereotype. And together, they're just insufferable.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Alfin is an annoying ditz

i don't remember her being scatterbrained or foolish or anything. she's a very contemplative person who also happens to get her jollies by trolling her friends, like olivert

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Alfin likes to eat cats and that’s no good.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Alfin is fine she just gets weird around Elise who is the actual worst. At least Tita is fine when she's not around Agate or anyone who brings up Agate.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Alfin is an annoying ditz and Elise is walking light novel siscon stereotype. And together, they're just insufferable.
:chloe:

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

she's a very contemplative person who also happens to get her jollies by trolling her friends, like olivert

I guess the main difference is that her brand of trolling is nowhere near as funny or endearing as Olivert's. "Teehee, I bet you wanna gently caress your brother, Elise! I know I would if I were you~ <3" isn't a particularly entertaining running gag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh she gets some good lines in on rean during the pentagruel bit of cs2

also elise is kind of a fun character too, i like how firm she is about her student council stuff. really they're just done a disservice by the game leaning slightly too much into rean harem stuff, they're good characters on their own.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I guess the main difference is that her brand of trolling is nowhere near as funny or endearing as Olivert's. "Teehee, I bet you wanna gently caress your brother, Elise! I know I would if I were you~ <3" isn't a particularly entertaining running gag.

I don't know how you can say that when Olivert is "I would gently caress everyone"

It's only a shade removed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Elise is a really good character whose biggest flaw is the brocon. I feel having Rean as an overprotective brother becomes creepier when she's also obviously wanting to marry him. Which is a shame, because Rean's interaction with, say, Ash, was hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Elise is a really good character whose biggest flaw is the brocon. I feel having Rean as an overprotective brother becomes creepier when she's also obviously wanting to marry him. Which is a shame, because Rean's interaction with, say, Ash, was hilarious.

I think the overprotective brother shtick is one of those things that's funny until they overdo it. Him glaring at Ash is funny because Ash is, well, Ash. Him shooting down Patrick is funny because it's a running gag established back when they were still students who hated each other. Him glaring at random Thors students who say she's pretty is weird and overdoing it.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I don't know how you can say that when Olivert is "I would gently caress everyone"

I mean, him pretending to want to gently caress everyone is part of why he's better. He can annoy a wider variety of people and get all kinds of fun reactions out of them. And besides, those kinds of jokes aren't the end-all-be-all of the humorous aspects of his character. He also has a ton of great moments of slapstick and situational humor. Oh, and he can play the lute and piano really well, which the series even leverages in main plot events.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really think the only advantage he has over Alfin is that he's been allowed out into other games to tease people other than Rean, and that he's been afforded a more important role in the big plot in Erebonia.

But that's just my take on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Overprotective brother Rean is good

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I really think the only advantage he has over Alfin is that he's been allowed out into other games to tease people other than Rean, and that he's been afforded a more important role in the big plot in Erebonia.

I don't see Alfin ever doing something as eccentric as playing a lute to quell two bickering factions during an election. Or waxing poetic about love to an Enforcer's face. Or signing up for a martial arts tournament for shits and giggles. Or getting locked up for drinking a restaurant's most expensive wine and being unable to pay for it after the fact. It's not just that Olivert gets more screen time than Alfin. He's got way more entertaining personality quirks.

Idkbutlike2 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2020

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I feel like Elise suffers from the same sort of problem Agate does, which is that everyone around them in the writing is constantly winking and nudging them about Rean or Tita respectively. On their own and separate from that stuff, I do like them-- Agate is one of my favorite characters in Sky because of how no one takes his tough guy schtick seriously, and the (very) few moments Elise gets where her crush isn't in the spotlight and her actual sibling relationship to Rean is are nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you interpret Elise as gay for Alfin and the entire thing being a very long series of misunderstandings it becomes way funnier

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfin: Rean swept me off my feet and carried me in his arms as we escaped!

Elise: god i wish that were me

Alfin: ohooo

Elise: no youre misunderstanding the subject of that sentence - goddammit

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I generally don't really enjoy the scenes with Elise, but tbh it's probably mostly because I don't like her voice; most of the time she doesn't sound very convincing to me, and it detracts from my enjoyment during the many dramatic scenes she's present for

that said, the worst VA choice so far imo was giving Campanella a Gilbert voice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I generally don't really enjoy the scenes with Elise, but tbh it's probably mostly because I don't like her voice; most of the time she doesn't sound very convincing to me, and it detracts from my enjoyment during the many dramatic scenes she's present for

Shoutout to my favorite tl fuckup in cs3, the oldguy in heimdallr they accidentally gave a little boy voice

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, what was up with that poo poo? The fact that the Sky OVA dub handled Campanella better is kind of bizarre to think about.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

campanella is a nerd with a love for theatrics though, the voice fits perfectly

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A what voice, like deep?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Overprotective brother Rean is good

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

A what voice, like deep?

his voice is strikingly similar to Gilbert's battle voice from TiTS

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

It must be why he likes the actual Gilbert so much, they've got something in common

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how about when Micht sounded like a raucous drunken dwarf

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I distinctly remember almost dropping my controller when I got to Trista in the PC version of CS2 and heard him for the first time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hwurmp posted:

That is exactly how I pictured Micht, though????

Further speculation on characters to potentially pad out numbers: Xeno and Leo.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sorry guys, I think Rean sentencing people to death cuz they like Elise is the funniest joke in all of CS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

I didn't like it at the time I played CS3, and it feels especially bad now hearing his Japanese VA in Ao.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Endorph posted:

Alfin: Rean swept me off my feet and carried me in his arms as we escaped!

Elise: god i wish that were me

Alfin: ohooo

Elise: no youre misunderstanding the subject of that sentence - goddammit

The best part is this would easily resolve the most frustrating aspects of both characters.

Granted my immediate reaction the first time Alfin was on screen was:

<Cold Steel> Here, have Olivier but a girl
<CK> GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEE
<Cold Steel> PS her favorite joke is trying to get Rean's little sister to hit on him
<CK> WHY DO YOU DO THIS COLD STEEL

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I feel like Elise suffers from the same sort of problem Agate does, which is that everyone around them in the writing is constantly winking and nudging them about Rean or Tita respectively. On their own and separate from that stuff, I do like them-- Agate is one of my favorite characters in Sky because of how no one takes his tough guy schtick seriously, and the (very) few moments Elise gets where her crush isn't in the spotlight and her actual sibling relationship to Rean is are nice.

I'm very much in agreement here.

Agate and Tita and Rean and Elise are pretty much two sides of the same coin (with Rean being a combination of Agate and Erika) where the bond they share is honestly fine, but it gets weird because the rest of Zemuria, having seen the succes of their efforts with Estelle and Josh, are now adamant on pushing every duo of non-blood related characters with a sibling-like bond together.

The big difference is mainly the development they get before the shipping sets in.

Agate gets two whole games of being a tough-guy-with-a-soft-center whose act everyone (except initially Estelle) can see through, who went through some bad poo poo when he was younger before getting some sense beaten back into him by a man who went through a similar trauma he went through and who's able to let go of the chip on his shoulder when he finds a surrogate little sister to replace the one he lost. When he fusses over Tita spending too much time at ZCF among grownups and too little time among her peers, Olivier teases him, but strictly about him sounding like a concerned father/brother.

Tita gets two whole games of being a (non-insufferable) childhood genius who's smart enough to work alongside professional engineers at the local corporation but who doesn't really relate to her peers in Sunday School and who as a result is kinda lonely at times since her parents are away all the time who semi-adopts Estelle and Joshua as surrogate siblings to ease that loneliness, who finds another childhood genius to strike up a peer friendship with in Renne and who develops a schoolgirl crush on an adult guy when he literally takes a bullet for her.

It isn't until Sky the 3rd, after the player spent over 60 hours with them already, that the shipping gets introduced and the creepy teasing becomes their semi-defining trait.

Elise, on the other hand, falls prey to the shipping (at the start of Chapter 3) before she even gets her introductionary slow-pan. (at the start of Chapter 4) It also doesn't help that she's forced to share roughly 90% of her screentime in the first two games with Alfin, who insists on dragging the imouto-shipping into the spotlight kicking and screaming and then pin it in place and keep it there. So her slight brocrush is literally the first thing we learn about her and whenever she's on screen, she's usually accompanied by her angelic gremlin friend who insists on keeping the subject front and center. This makes it easy to forget that for the most part, Elise is a doting sister who's usually quick to catch on if Rean's insecurities are threatening to get the better of him, is usually in the right when she's calling him out on his schtick and who's trying to move on by encouraging Rean to pursue one of his classmates.

So I kinda feel the writers gave the character the short end of the stick, compared to Tita and Agate, and I honestly found CS3 an improvement on this front since she spends most of her screentime away from Alfin and when the latter teases her, she brushes her off instead of getting flustered, allowing the sibling-like relationship she shares with Rean to get slightly more attention.

Food for thought: can you really blame Elise for wanting to get with her brother when any other guy she'd pursue would risk getting stepped on by a Divine Knight pilotted by a comically overprotective brother?

Erpy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CmdrKing posted:

The best part is this would easily resolve the most frustrating aspects of both characters.

Granted my immediate reaction the first time Alfin was on screen was:

<Cold Steel> Here, have Olivier but a girl
<CK> GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEE
<Cold Steel> PS her favorite joke is trying to get Rean's little sister to hit on him
<CK> WHY DO YOU DO THIS COLD STEEL

<Cold Steel> Okay one more go at girl Olivier? Yes?
Cold Steel 3: Musse

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Elise is just a light novel trope played completely straight. She's got all characteristics of the prim and proper brocon imouto: she's got a hime haircut, an upper crust family background, and of course she attends some famous all-girls private school. They even went as far as to make her look like Miyuki from the light novel series Mahouka in CS3 and onwards, who has an even creepier brocon crush on her older brother. She was doomed from the start, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you sure know a lot about the various brocon characters in anime buddy

edit: also isnt a big point made of the fact that the schwarzers are barely even nobility, i wouldnt really describe elise as 'upper crust'