Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
oh boy chapter 8 of trails sc is going to be... a whole endeavor huh :negative:

they really made some choices with the back half of this game. they do not seem to have all been good choices. they are certainly not choices that make me think i will have any energy left to play another game of this after finishing this. doing four bad identical dungeons in a row, culminating in the worst boss fight so far where you just have to equip a bunch of anti-deathblow and petrify accessories, cast all your room-wide AOEs, pray for good RNG, and inevitably use a retry to make the fight easier, and then being told to walk around this entire loving world you have spent a combined 100 hours in to defeat even more unique fights that i have to imagine will have even more bullshit in them, aaaa

i could just not do all these quests, i guess, but i've managed to do them all this far. how am i supposed to stop now :shepface:

please tell me the next game does not feature liberl in any form. if that means the bad guys win and it has to be wiped off the map so be it

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The other Trails games (not Sky) do not take place in Liberl, no.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If your reacton to "you can walk around the entire game world and talk to everyone" is not something resembling excitement, you might just not be that compatible with trails.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Amppelix posted:

If your reacton to "you can walk around the entire game world and talk to everyone" is not something resembling excitement, you might just not be that compatible with trails.

i wanna go to the drat sky city and beat the dang game and instead there's 20 more hours of side content, somehow

i might be more excited about this in the morning since i just marathoned chapter 7, but holy moly looking at this list of hidden content in this chapter is stressing me out

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm not saying you have to enjoy that. But i am saying if you don't, it might be in your best interest to cut your losses and not go further into the series.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it's pretty easy to enjoy the games and not talk to every NPC you encounter multiple times . Outside your time at the school, in Cold Steel I didn't feel like I was robbing myself of something if I just wanted to finish up a chapter quickly and move on. You just miss out on some world building stuff, which is nice to have, but missing it doesn't ruin the story or anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, I was watching my brother play and only half paid attention whenever he was "doing the rounds" and I still enjoyed the games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No I'm not trying to be all "if you don't talk to everyone you are not a tru trails fan" just that this kind of thing is one of the main appeals of the series and it will continue happening in all the rest of the games so if it annoys someone now it will probably continue to do so later.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it is fine to find Sky SC ch. 8 a bit exhausting and tedious beyond even the usual Trails norms. In theory it's an interesting intersection of gameplay and story but in practice it wears out its welcome very quickly. Nothing for it but to power through it (or, well, take an understandable break).

FWIW this is the last time in the franchise you will have to actually wander around Liberl's map on your own; Sky 3rd as previously mentioned is a completely different sort of thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just fyi the guild secretaries will ask you to check out certain places and you should listen to all of them

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Or you can just...not do the side content that doesn't interest you? Especially if you're ready to be done with the game?

That seems like a better way to go about things, imo.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think i just blitzed through that chapter, it's definitely the worst part of the Sky trilogy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm 80 hours in (CS1) and I'm not even done chapter 5 yet.

I'll grant 10 of those hours are probably from leaving the game on and cooking and talking on the phone or whatever but even still, it's meaty. (I am still pretty grumpy I can't put the PS4 in rest mode, or simply minimize the game without the game clock persisting...)

Other people are like "huh i beat the main story in 30 hours" and like, I'm sure you did, but sometimes I spend 15 minutes deciding who gets what quartz, or taking an extra hour just to talk to the same NPC I did an hour before that because something major in the story happened and I wanna read that loving flavor text change for every NPC in the entire city :shepface:

Yeah, it's flavor text, yeah, it doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but I enjoy it.

That 100 hour achievement doesn't look like such a pain in the rear end, especially since the plat takes a minimum of two playthroughs ANYWAYS.

What does not carry over to NG+?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

NG+ does a shop kinda deal where you pick and choose what to bring

I think the minimum points you get lets you keep your notes progress and bond levels?

There’s other stuff like start with 100k Mira, unlimited bond points so you can see all the events, keep master quartz levels

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What does not carry over to NG+?

Every time you do an NG+ you get 5 points to spend on the carryover menu. You need 15 points for all the stuff so that's sort of bullshit:

"Status" is character levels, orbment slots, and master quartz levels. "Other Outfits" is stuff like, there's one cutscene where Rean is practicing swords with his jacket off, and that's an outfit. Kinda lame. A lot of the kids don't even get any extra outfits. "Max Bonding Points" lets you see every free day event.

If you're only doing two playthroughs I'd pick Link Levels, Items, and Max Bonding Points.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 7, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SC is the most exhausting game in the series by leagues. Don't feel bad and don't force yourself. Took me 4 years and several stress induced breakdowns to finally finish it and see all the event variations based on choose your party. Absolutely would not have been able to do it without CS giving me extra love for the series. Meanwhile, I did the same with TC in a month immediately after SC starting from chapter 8, despite grinding for all the doppel weapon drops cuz I wanted to have 1 of every item, my playtime said 100 hours by the end despite the game only being half that long and I never really stopped having fun.

Did a test to see if that timer flow thing is true, cuz I don't remember that at all and I 100%ed CS1&2 on both Vita and PS4. The clock continues while minimized, yes, but rest is safe. Atelier games do the rest = playtime though.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
There's a stellar screenshot LP of SC by Really Pants on the LP Archive that I'd recommend if playing the game itself is burning you out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1280502328521523200

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I keep trying to watch a video summary of Zero/Azure and I am so BORED

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ethiser posted:

I think it's pretty easy to enjoy the games and not talk to every NPC you encounter multiple times . Outside your time at the school, in Cold Steel I didn't feel like I was robbing myself of something if I just wanted to finish up a chapter quickly and move on. You just miss out on some world building stuff, which is nice to have, but missing it doesn't ruin the story or anything.

I never talk to npcs unless it's needed for a sidequest,.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I keep trying to watch a video summary of Zero/Azure and I am so BORED
I can't imagine those games (or really, any of the Trails games) come off that well in a summary.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I can't imagine those games (or really, any of the Trails games) come off that well in a summary.

It was perfectly fine for Trails of the Sky series, so I figured Azure/Zero would be the same but the content is just so uninteresting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure what to tell you. E: Like, genuinely, this is a dead end conversation. I would disagree that Crossbell is any less interesting in setting, story, or cast compared to Sky but I can't speak to any sort of experience one might have in a video summary format, maybe it comes off poorly in whatever video you found or maybe it's just its very pitch doesn't appeal to you, and either situation I can only respond with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 7, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i wanna go to the drat sky city and beat the dang game and instead there's 20 more hours of side content, somehow

i might be more excited about this in the morning since i just marathoned chapter 7, but holy moly looking at this list of hidden content in this chapter is stressing me out

chapter 8 of SC is what convinced me i don't actually care about doing all the sidequests in every rpg i play.

i love SC but chapter 8 is a low point for the series for me, simply because there's so much side poo poo to do, and it was dumped into my lap at a moment when all i wanted to do was see what happened next in the main plot

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It was perfectly fine for Trails of the Sky series, so I figured Azure/Zero would be the same but the content is just so uninteresting.

tbh the prospect of watching a story summary video of just about any long rpg story i enjoy sounds really boring

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trails games really don't have very interesting stories at the macro level, a story summary would cut out most of what makes the series good imo which is the character writing and incidental writing

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Crossbell is the best subseries so far for me, easily.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

imo the only good thing about sc chapter 8 is the sidequest at the royal academy, that was fun

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

dmboogie posted:

imo the only good thing about sc chapter 8 is the sidequest at the royal academy, that was fun

I love Trails in the Die Hard

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NOW I HAVE AN ORBAL MACHINE GUN

HMM HMM HMM

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I finished the third Trails in the Sky.

Despite my doubts about the dungeon crawler format, it actually ended up working pretty well. You don't spend any more time in it at once than you would traveling between cities in FC or whatnot, so it wasn't very overwhelming. And since there aren't any sidequests, you don't have to take what feels like an hour+ break between areas to take care of things, so it felt like the plot actually flowed a lot better than in the first two games. The fact that the game showers you in sepith and unlocks the higher tiers of quartz fairly early helped, since random encounters are at their worst at the very start before you have any real aoe to use. The new turn bonuses are a great addition, since they all felt impactful enough that I actually had to plan around them at times, while all the old ones were just... there. Instant KO got me way too often before I realized what was going on though. And after I did too.

Regarding the story, I was really invested in the past between Kevin and Ries, and how it was connected to whatever was going on, so that definitely helped keep up my motivation. I suspect that if you aren't as interested in them or the other big mystery of "who is this guy who is totally not Loewe", it probably will feel a bit thin. "Childhood friends, but now it's complicated" is absolutely my favorite type of plot, so I was biased towards it from the start. I can see why people call the game skippable, because for the most part, the game feels like an encore performance for the cast from FC and SC, where they have a surprise reunion and go on one more adventure. That made the farewells at the end even more emotional, though, because now even the encore is done, and you're saying goodbye to the group as everyone is splitting up for real and fighting their own battles.

Using the doors as a way to spread lore and cover the six months since the last game seemed cool, but they dragged on a bit. I fully admit that this is probably a self-inflicted problem because I let them pile up and did them all at once before the endgame instead of pacing them out.

All the chests cheering you on for the final push and saying goodbye was the best moment in the game.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
I think 3rd is easier to appreciate as a game in retrospect, given how much lore it sets up for future entries. Thankfully, a lot of western fans got to do just that by virtue of having played CS1 and CS2 before it. I'm not sure you get the same effect if you're playing through the series in release order.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I personally didnt feel like TC had the CB and CS setup as a focus at all, there are like 2 incredibly minor instances for each arc that are not needed at all, mostly just a teaser to get hype. It was almost entirely a sendoff to the Sky cast as an apology for SC treating most of them awfully and I adored TC for it.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 9, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Once again, I find myself at the end of a Steam sale staring at Tokyo Xanadu and thinking, "Is there anything about this that stands out enough to make it worth the time investment and the $12?"

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

Once again, I find myself at the end of a Steam sale staring at Tokyo Xanadu and thinking, "Is there anything about this that stands out enough to make it worth the time investment and the $12?"

Its fun and good. Absolutely worth 12$. It does have the crossbell issue of 2 hours to talk to NPCs though, but Limited Time Sale Addict Mom is cool and I have to know her Saga. You too unnamed volleyball girl who is addicted to breaking people's noses with spikes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

I personally didnt feel like TC had the CB and CS setup as a focus at all, there are like 2 incredibly minor instances for each arc that are not needed at all, mostly just a teaser to get hype. It was almost entirely a sendoff to the Sky cast as an apology for SC treating most of them awfully and I adored TC for it.
i'm sorry, but i have absolutely no clue what you're talking about with all these two letter acronyms.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Amppelix posted:

i'm sorry, but i have absolutely no clue what you're talking about with all these two letter acronyms.

TC third chapter of trails in the sky
CB crossbell?
CS cold steel
SC second chapter

Honestly the only one I raised my eyebrow at was CB because I’ve never seen it used, but the rest get dropped all the time it feels like

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

never have i ever seen 3rd referred to as "TC"

it doesn't even call itself third chapter!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

But it is Third Chapter, and I'm not gonna suddenly say FC SC 3rd, that's dumb even if intentional.

And the Crossbell games need an arc name, and I can't think of anything better than Crossbell itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean i don't care what you call it, but like i said your message was impenetrable without actually spelling all those out.