Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is Elise an actual romantic option? Cause I was gonna make a post about how the writing around Estelle and Josh, even as early into FC as I am, was making me less and less sure the Rean/Elise bits in CS were supposed to be a joke like some posters have said.

Just lmao if Falcom actually let them hook up at the very end

She is an option and the writing is a little cringey but thankfully no making out, they just promise to "talk about their future together"

Hajimari: Thankfully all the bonding and romantic events are tied to an optional beach Michelam beach game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

gently caress you falcom, you had such a good father-daughter bit going for this in CS3, uuuugh

surprise it was brother/sister all along and you know how that goes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

After dealing with it being the emotional core of the story in Sky at least in CS it's only there for freaks who seek it out I guess.

E: Or freaks who want all the trophies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

After dealing with it being the emotional core of the story in Sky at least in CS it's only there for freaks who seek it out I guess.

E: Or freaks who want all the trophies.

A hint for that: choosing Skip All will automatically skip all the scenes bit still get to pick whose trophy you get.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

At least the Millium/Jusis relationship is still cute and not creepy.

Jusis isn't into Millium, right?

Right?

edit: god i'm so disappointed learning that altina is a romantic option. motherfucking falcom. come the gently caress on. Thats like if KeA and Lloyd was a thing. Ugh. Someone probably wanted to do that too.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 26, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sankis posted:

At least the Millium/Jusis relationship is still cute and not creepy.

Jusis isn't into Millium, right?

Right?

edit: god i'm so disappointed learning that altina is a romantic option. motherfucking falcom. come the gently caress on. Thats like if KeA and Lloyd was a thing. Ugh. Someone probably wanted to do that too.

Bad news. It is a more light Tita/Agate thing. People tease them about it and there is the exact same basic writing. However it is light enough you can just assume it is sibling and ignore Millium talking about how romantic it is and referring to 'other couples' as just her teasing Jusis

KeA and Reanne seem to avoid it entirely thankfully.

Edit: The weirdest loving thing is also a lot of people in story assuming Angelica and George are going to hook up like what the gently caress she has one personality trait and it is being lesbian as gently caress.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I thought it was a bit distasteful to give Elie boobs at big as her head, it looks really disproportionate, she isn't the only one to get the treatment either.

The Altina situation is weird because she was born to be unemotional and to follow orders a little less guilt in sacrificing her to make the sword of the end. In a heartfelt moment she is the first to rush in to hug him after saving him so she is only just so she is just trying to figure out her emotions, Rean ultimately doesn't really see it as romantic and more of a guardian if you pick this romance route

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

infraboy posted:

I thought it was a bit distasteful to give Elie boobs at big as her head, it looks really disproportionate, she isn't the only one to get the treatment either.

The Altina situation is weird because she was born to be unemotional and to follow orders a little less guilt in sacrificing her to make the sword of the end. In a heartfelt moment she is the first to rush in to hug him after saving him so she is only just so she is just trying to figure out her emotions, Rean ultimately doesn't really see it as romantic and more of a guardian if you pick this romance route

Dude literally says that he'll be waiting after she graduates. Maybe there is something later that makes that less creepy but his entire scene is him assuring her he chose to be there with her and all.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See this is why I always went with Alisa as the romance option because she is the 'canon'-ish one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

See this is why I always went with Alisa as the romance option because she is the 'canon'-ish one

The funny thing about her being canon is that I am pretty sure she gets less Screen time than any of the other choices post CS2. I honestly kept forgetting she exists because Emma's magic bullshit and her catgirl familiar end up so much more front and center.

It feels like they went 'she is the default, she doesn't need to do much.'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ah, getting the Elliot treatment. Truly nothing is more tragic.

Hope that's not really the case though. Halfway through CS2 and she's one of the better of the Class VII cast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah, getting the Elliot treatment.

egg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah, getting the Elliot treatment. Truly nothing is more tragic.

Hope that's not really the case though. Halfway through CS2 and she's one of the better of the Class VII cast.

Honestly I think she ends better than Elliot but Elliot has more to do than some. The real loser of VI is Machias, likely please he has the least overall family drama and no magic powers.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ImpAtom posted:

Dude literally says that he'll be waiting after she graduates. Maybe there is something later that makes that less creepy but his entire scene is him assuring her he chose to be there with her and all.

I thought this was Juna's romance route? Rean doesn't want to romance his students so Juna tells him to survive so she can graduate and they are no longer "Teacher and student" Musse route is more or less the same

Ultimately Alisa/Laura just seem to be the logical choices to me, as cringey as some of these scenes are they don't really matter to the overall story.

I was using these translations for the romance events so maybe they're not 100% accurate but I went through most of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/9kj11p/english_translations_of_trails_of_cold_steel_iv/

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think she ends better than Elliot but Elliot has more to do than some. The real loser of VI is Machias, likely please he has the least overall family drama and no magic powers.

Shame. He's cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

infraboy posted:

I thought this was Juna's romance route? Rean doesn't want to romance his students so Juna tells him to survive so she can graduate and they are no longer "Teacher and student" Musse route is more or less the same

Ultimately Alisa/Laura just seem to be the logical choices to me, as cringey as some of these scenes are they don't really matter to the overall story.

I was using these translations for the romance events so maybe they're not 100% accurate but I went through most of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/9kj11p/english_translations_of_trails_of_cold_steel_iv/

these translations read like two ELIZA bots trying to make gently caress

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

these translations read like two ELIZA bots trying to make gently caress

Sounds like an average date with Rean, then!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alisa is unimportant? Uhhhh, her mom? Sharon? Her dad?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

The funny thing about her being canon is that I am pretty sure she gets less Screen time than any of the other choices post CS2. I honestly kept forgetting she exists because Emma's magic bullshit and her catgirl familiar end up so much more front and center.

It feels like they went 'she is the default, she doesn't need to do much.'

This is why I've always argued that Emma should have been the female lead, not Alisa. It's so obvious that she's more connected to the overall story than pretty much everyone else, even before CS3 really ramped up the magic bullshit side of the curtain.

Obviously I haven't played CS4, but nothing about the ending of CS3 suggests that's going to become less true.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CS3 So i guess arianhrod makes 4/7 Divine Knights now

I'm getting kind of cranky about the dragging out of loving loredumps.

Starting Chapter 4 now.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GreenBuckanneer posted:

CS3 So i guess arianhrod makes 4/7 Divine Knights now

I'm getting kind of cranky about the dragging out of loving loredumps.

Starting Chapter 4 now.

Chapter 4 is the fun one, the dungeons that make you split up into groups I think are the best ones that Falcom does since you have to spread out your accessories and quartz. You should be able to finish by tomorrow and fire up IV :getin:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

infraboy posted:

Chapter 4 is the fun one, the dungeons that make you split up into groups I think are the best ones that Falcom does since you have to spread out your accessories and quartz. You should be able to finish by tomorrow and fire up IV :getin:

Maybe, the gf and me are doing some Halloween decoration, and probably will have a few hours of time to play....maybe.

also what the gently caress that chapter 3 ending. What the gently caress

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lol I think the mod who saw my report requesting a thread title change may have misunderstood me

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

Lol I think the mod who saw my report requesting a thread title change may have misunderstood me

Seems like something that's easily fixable once it's actually the 27th.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe, the gf and me are doing some Halloween decoration, and probably will have a few hours of time to play....maybe.

also what the gently caress that chapter 3 ending. What the gently caress

I still thing that laziest reveal I've ever seen is George Nome being Georg of the Gnomes, with the only difference being his name is now pronounced with both hard Gs.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I still thing that laziest reveal I've ever seen is George Nome being Georg of the Gnomes, with the only difference being his name is now pronounced with both hard Gs.

I loved that, it is just so dumb in the best way.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That's called hiding in plain sight. That I played the first two games twice before making that speculation makes me deeply embarrassed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I loved that, it is just so dumb in the best way.

I mean I burst out laughing.

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's called hiding in plain sight. That I played the first two games twice before making that speculation makes me deeply embarrassed.

When he brought it up in chapter 2 I assumed he was going to learn he was a descendent. I wasn't expecting the sudden heel turn.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
NISA let me preload the game already!!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

MythosDragon posted:

So uh.... I forgot to read the books cuz CS3's end was so intense, and uh.... Immoral Hero is terrifying jesus christ.
All the children's books in CS3 are incredibly hosed up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have some questions. I went to read that rpgsite review of CS4 and something stuck out to me.

quote:

The curse is a concept which at any given time can do essentially anything or nothing at all -- it can push a character towards conflict or allow literally any interaction that the writers so desire. It can possess a horse, it can be built into a Panzer Soldat, it can be conjured forth by music (and healed by it), and god knows what else more. 

What???:allears:

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
They better NOT make us fight Whitcomb or there will be WORDS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Curse is probably the worst aspect of CS4, on the level of Star Ocean 3's twist

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, I haven't played CS IV yet, but the curse is just a magical metaphor for nationalism, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I have some questions. I went to read that rpgsite review of CS4 and something stuck out to me.

What???:allears:

It turns a horse into a monster and then Elliot cures it with music

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So, I haven't played CS IV yet, but the curse is just a magical metaphor for nationalism, right?

The metaphor for what it is is super muddled. That is theoretically part of it but there are things that directly contradict that reading

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 26, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am sold

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Anyone able to download on PS4 yet?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Anyone able to download on PS4 yet?

No, but NIS America finally acknowledged it.

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1320806902998036480

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The curse is much better than Weissman's unexplained mind control at least, and that is the entire backbone of sky's plot too.

SO3's twist is arguably the worst twist ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like I'm reading something I shouldn't know yet