Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MythosDragon posted:

Barring Berseria and Xenoblade 2, I can't really think of anything that has any noticeable increase in movement over CS3. Like, P5 certainly isnt doing much better there barring the extremely rare awakening scene or something. But this is animation, not graphics.

Did we play the same P5? Sure they don't have particularly fancy animations in the real world segments but there's lots of flipping, jumping, etc. in dungeons that's all animated very smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I wish I had the webm of the big fight scene at the end of CSIII on hand because holy lmao, I remember that being shockingly bad.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

Then I got to the actual end of Cold Steel 1 and goddamn I hate that game. They took everything that was cool and unique about their setting and spiked it into the trash in favor of generic garbage, and they didn't even manage to get through all the plot outline they already handed me at the end of the previous series. Is there anything at all for me to look forward to in the rest of Cold Steel, or are just we locked on the bullet train to anime town while we spend another entire game+ on events they already sketched for me with the worst cast from here on out?

Get out while you can.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Rean is like if you took every aspect that people disliked about Joshua and ramped them up to 11.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is the most wrong thing i have ever read in this thread where people sometimes post wrong things...

Cool, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

e; I suppose I should elaborate instead of just being a shithead. I was mainly thinking of 1. Legions of girls fawning over them despite lacking any personality or charm, 2. Mysterious edgelord powers that invited speculation but were ultimately not particularly interesting, and 3. Letting their insecurities drive them towards acting like a moron. I'm absolutely not saying I prefer Joshua over Rean if that's what you're upset about I think they're both bad actually, I just think Rean ramps up his particularly silly aspects.

Bland fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 8, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

I think if you think that (if he were real) Rean wouldn't have been insanely popular at his school, you'd be 100% wrong.

Everyone knows Jusis would be the real heartthrob irl.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thomas at least did something in CS3's final chapter. Gaius.... Ah, well

I'll have you know Gaius is the best drat uber driver in all of Zemuria.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

Even if the characters around her are bad about it, at least there is a depiction of a heroic and strong lesbian character in my relationship building jrpg, and not what we got from Persona. gently caress that poo poo.

Tbh the way I see it both Persona and Trails made their only LGBT characters lecherous perverts so they're pretty much equally awful in that respect as far as I'm concerned.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

there is a scene where a woman sexually assaults another woman and it's supposed to be a joke

Multiple scenes! :pseudo:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

I've seen very little from Falcom's last few releases to give me reason to believe they've suddenly learned their lesson about keeping a reasonable cast size. Like sure it's not impossible but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Oh god, please don't tell me they want to add more characters to scenes.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I mean, the Ys games exist. They could just take a page out of their book.

True, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I should really have just said Kiseki. There are more than a few cues the series should take from Ys.

Bland fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 27, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

the protagonist of what

Terper posted:

The game that was extensively talked about last page, Kuro no Kiseki!

aka this dude

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

I love Katsumi Enami's art and I know she didn't design these two, but these designs aint hittin for me.
I'm kind of sick of polite desk work type main girls, after both Elie and Alisa being like that.

Now I'm by no means a fan of Alisa but that doesn't sound like an accurate description of either her design or her character to me.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Junpei posted:

sometimes with the CS4 criticism I wonder if people just want the Trails series to be all political drama RPGs, all the time, and completely ditch Ouroboros, Sept-Terrions, Divine Beasts, and all of that

I certainly wouldn't mind if they toned those aspects down a bit.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Motto posted:

Official site is also open with character and setting details as well as first looks at the field and combat system. Wasn't sure if TLs were accurate, but seems like you really do swap between aRPG and turnbased combat, though I very much get the impression that the former is for making trash fights faster while TB is still the "real" system.

For one it seems like you need to enter command mode to access all your arts and crafts, and it's not like FF7R, you make a turn order bar popup and have to wait for the enemies to take their swings once you've taken an action in TB mode.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-details-characters-setting-and-battle-system-first-gameplay

quote:

A girl with brown skin, short-styled hair, and a petite physique who is also a young member of the high-ranking jaeger corps “Kurgha Soldiers.”

Having experienced serious combat training since childhood, she shows her fierce jaeger side in battle, but being a young girl unfamiliar with a large city, she also shows reactions expected from a girl her age in day-to-day life.

And she uses a gunblade. I guess Fi was popular enough that they decided to just do her again.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

it seems like she just uses a gun? and the 'young female jaeger corp member' thing is there but lbr, shirley exists too, and renne, criminal organizations in zemuria are required by law to have one teenage girl on payroll

The character bio thing calls it an "Assault Sword". Going by the gameplay video it's one of those wacky monster hunter style transforming weapons.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

If I didn't enjoy CS3, is it worth bothering with CS4? I want to see Estelle and Lloyd again and I want more Ouroboros closure, but I'm so sick of Rean.

No

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

It's not half the game it's the first of four acts and his return brings with it all the same baggage that bogs down the rest of the CS series.

I know I'm in the minority in this thread for my dislike of 4 but if you're coming in from the position of disliking 3 then you've probably got more in common with me than most others here.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Why do Estelle and Joshua even care about Rean? For that matter, Lloyd should still be pissed at him over the whole "I helped annex Crossbell" thing.

Pretty much every single interaction in 4 between party members from different arcs goes like this:

"I am honoured to finally meet you. I have heard so much about you, and also you are very cool."
"Oh no, not at all. In fact, it is I who is honoured to meet you. You are the very cool one here."
"Let us continue to express our humility and graciousness. Also Agate you should totally hook up with Tita."

Very little of their actual character gets to shine through, probably because they had to write so drat many of these cookie cutter scenes.

e; I suppose I should say as a disclaimer I played in Japanese, I have no idea if the English script was tidied up at all.

Bland fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 24, 2021

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

this is partly why duvalies the best character just because shes allowed to be petty and spiteful

shes comically ineffectual but its why all the funniest lines come from her

This at least I can agree with.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I'm very suspicious of anyone who ranks any Cold Steel game above Zero.

Also Rean and Crow in the top 5?

It's just recency bias, you see the same thing in all these character/game polls in pretty much every series.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

nah, crow and rean are extremely, extremely popular. this thread is frankly an anomaly for having any pushback to crow, especially. heck, if you had a poll with more female/younger voters, crow would probably be number two.

I've no doubt they're extremely popular, I also have no doubt that when they make a new poll after Kuro comes out the new guy will be the most popular.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Mirello posted:

finally getting to CS4. I'm pretty negative on the direction this series has taken, so mostly just finishing it out of obligation. glad to see that they have a little girl groping juna in the prologue. cool.

Is it true that Rean can romance the cat? lol.

Nah. His students and little sister though...

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

I disliked CS4 enough that it made me skip Hajimari but that doesn't mean I've completely lost faith in Falcom's ability to make good games. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce now that they're (mostly) free of the baggage of the cold steel games.

But if Kuro sucks too then yeah I probably will stop following the series.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Hajimari is more of a third Crossbell game than anything CS-related so that's already your in if what you to see what Falcom can do once they got from under Erebonia.

When I decided not to play Hajimari I looked up basically everything that happens in it instead so that I'm not missing anything for future games and I did not get the impression that the game tries to get away from the Erebonia arc at all. The game is like 80-90% tying up loose ends from Cold Steel, and even the SSS segment is heavily tied to Cold Steel plot threads. The game is all about retreading old ground (from both the Erebonia & Crossbell arcs) when more than anything I'm looking forward to starting over with a fresh core cast in a new setting.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Junpei posted:

Points to C 2, Swin, Nadia and Lapis

Indeed, I would have had a lot more time for Hajimari if it that was the only path.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/yourvinished/status/1418384283257999361/photo/1

Takahiro Unisuga (one of the main composers for Trails since SC) is leaving Falcom. Kuro is his last game there, seems like.

That really sucks, he was one of the last remaining genuine talents on the sound team. They're going to struggle to replace him, especially with how poor Falcom's reputation has become in the vgm industry.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really know much about the vgm industry but what's the story there?

Full disclaimer: This story has never been officially confirmed and is mostly based on leaks from anonymous sources on Japanese message boards. A few years back the president of Falcom Masayuki Kato sabotaged a live video game music event that the jdk band (basically a band hired by Falcom that would do shows playing Falcom music) were going to perform at because he was worried some people involved in organising it might be trying to profit off of Falcom's music. This earned Falcom a lot of enmity in the industry (some people have theorised they might have even been effectively blacklisted) and caused most of the jdk band members to sever ties with the company.

Then there's the whole deal with Falcom refusing to credit their composers, even though they generally have multiple composers contributing on any given soundtrack. There's a group of people on one of the Falcom discords that spend a lot of time documenting the comings and goings of Falcom's sound team and working out the appropriate credits for Falcom's soundtracks for those interested [Link]

Then to top all that off Falcom is just generally a low budget company that are never going to try to attract talent by way of generous monetary compensation, which is why they've been relying more and more heavily on outsourcing over the last 10 years instead of bringing in more contracted composers.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

So the JP version of Kuro just released digitally, would anyone be interested in a stream of it where I give a very rough translation as I go?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Question for any others playing Kuro, am I missing something or is there really no way to skip S-Crafts?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

I decided to do a video translation of the Kuro prologue to give people waiting for the western release an idea of what the game is like. I just finished the first half and I'll probably try to get the rest up by the end of next week (but no promises). It's not super high quality or anything but I saw someone doing a literal google translate video with hundreds of views so I figured surely some people would be interested in seeing some actual English. Game's pretty good btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDb420hqJmQ

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Levantine posted:

I didn't realize CS4 had a bad rep, but I feel like if you liked CS3 (and the others games), you'll like 4. I have yet to play a "bad" Trails game but YMMV.

I try not to post too much in this thread these days so as not to kill the vibes here for those that still love the series, but I really didn't like CS4 or Reverie, to the extent that I am now more or less indifferent to what was once one of my favourite series. I don't believe that's an uncommon sentiment, I think 4 was pretty drat divisive.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

Why is Hulk Jumping everyone's preferred method of travel in Reverie?

Because that way you don't have to worry about writing plausible explanations for why the heroes let the bad guys casually walk into and/or get away from the scene. See also: teleportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

I'm suuuuuuuuuuper hyped for Kuro.
I love everything Trails, and it's only gotten stronger every moment of the past 12 years.
But it's precisely that love that tells me not to compromise and wait for the best possible experience.

Is that what you think we've been getting :confused: