Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Mysticblade posted:

Bro, I get you. Rean/Gaius will be real some day.

Gaius would never cheat on the wind like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just finished my Nightmare new game challenge run of Cold Steel 3. I adhered to the following rules:

A completely fresh, New Game file
Nightmare Difficulty
No Battle Orders
No Chrono Burst
No Dodge Tanks

There were a couple of very interesting fights where I really had to push the combat system, it was a lot of fun really. I'd previously done a No Quartz Hard run, not sure if I could do the above challenge and add No Quartz to it. It would probably be doable, but I would most likely hate myself by the end.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I wonder what the highest difficulty I can beat Cold Steel 3 on is if I limit myself to only using food items once I get an attack food recipe.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1321142754408239105

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Tonight I beat the fourth game in the Trails of Cold Steel franchise. It had extremely high highs, but also spent a lot of time in the dirt. It has some of my favorite moments, but on the whole I think I enjoyed CS3 more.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Saoshyant posted:

Anyway, someone please give me any tips to make money in this game 'cause I never seem to have any or being able to buy the latest equipment.

Septium Vein on your big damage dealers that are likely to clear regular encounters, Kaleido on Kurt as soon as you get it and spam the crap out of his double hitting craft on as many enemies as you can hit with it. Only upgrade weapons for physical damage dealers, skip every other defensive upgrade. How far in the game are you, I can give you better advice if you're further.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Actually, this is good advice for anyone that is at least a few hours into Act 2 of Cold Steel 4:

While in his demon unchained form, Rean's S-craft seems to hit many times, even though it only shows one damage number. While equipped with Kaleido, you get many, many procs. I played the back half of the game with him equipped with Emblem/Kaleido and just s-crafted every single random encounter and spammed them in boss fights.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

ill tell you whats devaluing the artistic merit of trails: not having a scene where anelace gets a girlfriend

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Oh, I also did a bunch of testing with Speed in Cold Steel 4 to figure out optimal breakpoints, you want at least 120 on everyone, then to shoot for breakpoints at about every 15 speed past that, so 135, then 150. As you get higher, it becomes less effective so you need more to be effective so start adding like 17 or so.

Also, none of this matters. Also, I'm doing a solo Altina Nightmare run right now, wish me luck.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

corn on the cop posted:

the real crime of CS4 is that i can't date duvalie

This is, in fact, the biggest video game warcrime of all time

As for the solo Altina Nightmare run, I'm a few hours in, just got to (early Act 1 spoilers) Saint-Arkh. The Rose was a little rough, but now I've got myself some Deep Ochers and an Evergreen, so things are going a little better.

edit: actually I don't want Rean to date Duvalie, he's not good enough for her

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Tae posted:

I don't see this brought up nearly enough, so I assumed most people think Angie is straight in the first place

How could anyone possibly think Angie is straight you'd have to be as dumb as a US President

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Post Cold Steel 4 theorizing:

So Aidios is definitely just A.I. Dios, or God A.I., right? Like this is just the biggest George (g)Nome of all?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Even if the characters around her are bad about it, at least there is a depiction of a heroic and strong lesbian character in my relationship building jrpg, and not what we got from Persona. gently caress that poo poo.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Would anyone be interested in me posting my summaries of my solo Altina nightmare run of CS4? I find some of the mechanics I have to use interesting, not sure if it's worth my time posting here though if no one is interested.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Solo Altina Nightmare CS4 Run Update #1

Rules

1. Whenever possible, Altina must be in the party.
2. If Altina is in the party, the only command any other character can issue is to move in place.
3. If Altina is in the party, only her Brave Order can be issued, and follow up attacks are not allowed.
4. If Altina is in the party, if possible, all boss fights must be entered with the other three characters dead.

Prologue Chapter
The first bit of the prologue is obviously without Altina, so I just rushed through that part normally. Once I got through the Lloyd section and got back to new Class VII, the run began in earnest. As soon as I started I stripped off everyone else's quartz and equipped them all to Altina. The first required tutorial fight was fairly easy, mostly because I had 3 meat shields to eat up hits until they died. I went into the second required tutorial fight with just Altina, which is a fight against like 7 enemies, many of whom are casters. It took me a few tries to land on the optimal strategy of 'They are weak to confuse and I know Silver Thorn', then I basically just watched them kill themselves. The third required tutorial fight wasn't too hard, and I just ran past all the other encounters in this dungeon to get to the Rose fight at the end. The Rose fight took me a while and a few attempts to solve, I ultimately landed on equipping the Sirius master quartz for increased counterattack damage and keeping the Insight status on myself the whole fight. Since I was mostly just concerned with keeping my HP and EP up the whole time, most turns were spent figuring out whether to craft, attack, move, or item, to create the correct amount of delay to get me to the next HP or EP heal turn, or to make me land on +Brave Points, Zero Orders, or Zero Arts turns. Whenever I would build up to 5 Brave Points, I would Ebon Crest and then immediately S-craft for maximum delay at which she would take like 10 turns in a row hitting herself. It took almost 45 minutes but I eventually whittled her down with only one major mistake where she landed on an HP heal turn. I survived her S-craft and got my one bonus AP.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Solo Altina Nightmare CS4 Run Update #2

Early Act 1 Saint-Arkh Arrival

Before leaving Eryn Village I spent a little time grinding enemies with Altina's S-craft and taking advantage of the hot springs to refill CP. I did this until I went up two levels and learned Ebon Shade, an incredible move for this solo run. Stealth makes you practically invincible and the physical reflect is a nice bonus. I made my way to Isthmia Great Forest where I ran up against my first real challenge, namely the optional AP boss Beholder monster there. It constantly summons adds that have have a chance to deathblow on hit and also cast a spell that inflicts nightmare. If that wasn't bad enough, the boss also randomly does a move that temporarily removes a character from the fight, which is an instant wipe if you only have one character. I skipped it for the moment and did some fishing. Well, a lot of fishing. Actually, um, an inhuman amount of fishing. The first few fishing spots in the game contain Snow Crabs which drop 3 U-materials. The first trade shop in Saint-Arkh trades U-materials for fishing bait, allowing me to basically fish as long as I want. I fished up enough U-materials to upgrade several colored emblems into their final variants, leaving me with 2 Deep Ochers, 2 Evergreen, and 2 Passionate Rogue. I will probably fish up enough U-materials to get two Still Blues as well, but for now this was fine. I also used U-materials to upgrade all of my stat quartz to level 3, gaining Shield 3, Defense 3, Action 3, Evade 3 and HP 3, and also made myself a Saintly Force. I went back to the boss with my new quartz and accessories in hand and tried a few different combinations, mostly defensive options at first, and I discovered that enemies can't walk over the corpses of your teammates so he had trouble getting to me in some situations, but this didn't help stop his instant kill move. Since the move takes the player inside him for a few turns, it doesn't count as deathblow, so I also couldn't resist it with accessories. Ultimately I decided on a more offensive plan, put on some Sirius and kept up Shining and Saintly Force, while using Ebon Shade to give myself room to buff and heal. The boss only had around 65k HP, and counterattacks were doing 10k damage, with another 10k out of my s-craft, so after 4-5 tries I was able to line up a run where I didn't get deathblowed and was able to burn him down relatively quickly. On the whole I was pretty happy I was able to complete this fight, I thought I was going to end up skipping it for sure. I stopped there for the night, tomorrow we work our way forward, though I am really not looking forward to the boss of this particular section, I've already resigned myself to probably losing the AP challenge unless I can cheese it out with dodge tanking. At this point it feels like I really have to change all my gear and quartz to meet whatever the particular challenge is which is pretty fun, but I'd imagine once I get access to some of the HP tank gear, especially a Grail Locket equivalent or Oberon, I'm going to just become unkillable.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Tesseraction posted:

I finally did it, I saw CS4's true ending.

Maybe I'm easily satisfied but that felt a lot more definitive than I had expected.

That post-epilogue Ouroborous scene was perhaps a bit too "drat STRAIGHT WE'VE GOT SEQUELS" but otherwise I'm pretty content.

Now go watch the Hajimari trailer and scream at your monitor in confusion like I did

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Solo Altina Nightmare CS4 Run Update #3

Act 1 Parm + Shrine

I finished fishing out some crabs and finished my collection of accessories with 2 Still Blue, 2 Evergreen, 2 Passionate Rouge, and 2 Deep Ocher. Headed towards Parm and stopped in at the Field Exercise Camp, completely forgetting you fought a Magic Knight there. It was a little touch and go, and I finished on a desperation s-craft that did 6300 damage when it had 6100 HP. I was really sweating it because I hadn't saved since I got the last accessory and I really didn't want to fish anymore. Moved on to Parm, picked up the sidequest and completed easily without combat. Headed to the Draco Shrine next, a fight I was a little worried about. The boss has instant cast spells that he spams with petrify, and as far as I know Insight only gives regular Evasion and not Magic Evasion, so dodge tanking was out of the question. The boss did take 200% Wind damage though, so I landed on a caster strategy. I equipped two Still Blues and some Mind quartz, and started the battle with Ebon Shade and Saintly Force, another Ebon Shade and some Nemesis Arrows. Running low on CP, I dropped Ebon Crest and let him and his adds hit me a ton to build up CP from the reflects, while casting more Nemesis Arrows, and finished him with a smack and an S-craft. Ebon Crest is fantastic for building up your CP when there are lots of opponents, and Altina's aimed s-craft allows you to purposely not hit some adds so they stay alive to give you more CP. Ended there for the night, tomorrow we trudge towards the double boss fight at the end of this area and me losing my mind trying to figure out how to beat the AP time limit.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I think handwaving away master quartz as an incremental improvement is a wrong, they basically added a job system to the game.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 18, 2020

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
S-crafts are a trick because in most games your super moves are for bosses, but in Cold Steel your S-crafts are for clearing regular encounters with Brigid/Gugnir

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Solo Altina Nightmare CS4 Run Update #4

Act 1 Hamel

Finished the story events up to Hamel and went to the games first major boss fight, Gilbert followed by Rutger. I was extremely apprehensive about this fight since it's two back to back fights and there is an AP time requirement on the second fight. I initially tried dodge tanking the Gilbert fight, but his nonstop healing spam combined with all the adds and the little damage I did usually spelled my defeat before I could get them all down. Combine this with an undodgeable craft that Gilbert has and that strategy was doomed. I tried shifting to a psuedo dodge tank that was more attack oriented in hopes I could burn them down, but testing that a little seemed like it was going to be a nightmare. What I ultimately decided on was double Deep Ocher for +800 defense and cast Crest to stack a large defense buff, Shining for evasion, and Sirius/Saintly Force for damage. With those buffs up the enemies couldn't hurt me at all, literally doing 1 or 0 damage on a hit, and I did enough damage on my ~60% dodge counterattacks to eventually beat them. I thought about the Rutger fight a lot and I just couldn't come up with a strategy to beat them in time that also let me beat the Gilbert fight. They take so many more turns then me beating them to the 36 turn limit was impossible and I ultimately just had to give up the AP to get past the fight. I'd consider it my first major failure in the run, but we're still cooking. I broke there for the evening, I believe when I start back up I will be able to fight the first Cryptid in the game, and I would really like that lost art, so we'll see what we can do.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Pretty sure Altina's the tankiest New Class VII member in CS4. You can get her HP, as well as her defense and Arts defense, ridiculously high with the right equipment and quartzes.

Her defenses are good, but her HP is subpar

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Fighting this Cryptid as soon as available at level 55 with just Altina on Nightmare might be my limit. Smashing my head against it for a few hours with different strategies now, not workin so good.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Well, I think I actually worked out a usable strategy, but it's so slow that I am not out damaging the occasional 10% HP turns the enemy gets, so back to the drawing board on that one.

edit: Does anyone know the damage calculation for Burn in CS4? Is it percentage health? Maybe I can fish for burns to kill it lol.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 23, 2020

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I want to create a machine and hook it up to the Cold Steel writers and whenever they type or say the phrase "Trump Card" they are shocked with a nonlethal amount of volts until they are pavlov'd away from it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Wait, have they said it's going to be a completely new combat system?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I will never understand the dissonance between people willing to get mad at a developer for making something too hard but then also refusing to push the big on screen button that says 'make this easier'. If it's too hard for you to enjoy, and they gave you a button to fix that, use it! No one cares what difficulty it says next to your save file, you're not less or more of a person for playing on different difficulties, and I say this as someone who literally imposes restrictions on myself to artifically boost the difficulty past nightmare. Games are for fun! Push the button that makes it fun!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm not mad at the devs I just didn't like that the boss was disproportionate in difficulty to everything leading up to it.

Yeah, I was venting there more about other people, didn't mean to directly address you.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I mean, a gimme like that feels a bit patronizing, no?

This is your ego playing tricks on you. If you think some is too hard, i.e. the developers made it unfair or unbalanced, then the solution is for it to be fixed and toned down in difficulty. There is a button on screen that does this, but you can't bring yourself to push it because ???
There is no mechanical difference between a developer patching a fight to be easier and pressing a button that makes it easier, it's just that people wrap up their self worth in the game and it's not good for them or anyone.
Developers aren't omniscient, and they know their systems better than anyone else so it can be hard for them to appropriately judge difficulty, and so they left it up to personal discretion.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Honestly, they should just ditch all difficulty names and just do like Kid Icarus and have it be a sliding numerical scale. Playing on difficulty '2' feels a lot better than playing on 'Easy'.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

the issue is that a lot of game devs have a real hard time finding a sweet spot between 'way too hard' and 'way too easy' when it comes to difficulty sliders, and some people enjoy 'too hard' more than they enjoy 'too easy', even if they'll still complain about 'too hard'

like for most people when they say a boss is too hard they just want it due to its omega aoe screenkill move slightly less, not for it to lose 50% of its hp, 80% of its damage, and for the game to give you 100 health potions.

If your argument is that the difficulty swings too easy when you turn it down, I feel like you've undercut that a bit with hyperbole.

If your argument is that people online are being disingenuous and just venting, I get that, but I also know people personally who have raged and thrown controllers and acted out in other self harming ways, so it's kind of hard to generalize people in one way or another. I guess the crux of my argument is "Do what is fun, don't get caught up in what the difficulty says, don't attach your self worth to the game, the developers aren't trying to pull one over on you'

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Right, sorry for engaging with you, that was my bad.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

The hell did I do to you? Does every person on this website need to be a massive dick to me for no reason? I've literally gotten death threats, rape threats, and weird essays about why nobody will ever love me in my PMs and poo poo and I'm seriously struggling why everyone reacts to me like this. Please don't do this. sorry if this seems like a weird meltdown im just exhausted

Hey, I certainly didn't mean to do this to you and I really have no knowledge of your posting history. Your reply of "Okay?" seemed to serve no purpose other than to be an attempt to make me feel bad, so I responded in kind. But seriously, I didn't mean to hurt you or anything, I hope you're ok and if there is anything I can do to help in my limited capacity as a name on a website I'd be happy to help.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

it wasnt an attempt to make you feel bad it was just an attempt at expressing 'i dont disagree but you're going a bit heavy on it for what was a pretty random 'this boss is kinda hard' post,' but ive gotten like 7 different weirdo internet stalkers because rando people get really mad at you if you dare post in a way they dont like in the games forum of somethingawful. anyway we're fine

Well, we'll be fine if you answer this question correctly:

Who is the correct Cold Steel romance option?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Got it in one

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

ImpAtom posted:

But Crow isn't *anyone's* little sister. It is well documented that Rean can only date little sisters.

Boo this person

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I don't like his story arc at all. It's a way less convincing redemption arc than... really any character who was in a similar position to him in previous games.

Does he need to be redeemed? The thing he was doing wasn't even definitely wrong.

Edit: Wait, what game are we talking about?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Azran posted:

About halfway through Ch. 4 in CS1, Rean just rescued Elise from the giant armor boss. Please tell me if I misread it, but the chat the girls had during the practical test seemed to imply Elise is attracted to her adopted brother?

You sweet, innocent soul. I envy your youth. Yes. Elise has a big crush on Rean, and it's one of the worst things in the series in my opinion. For what it's worth, Rean doesn't really reciprocate beyond 'over protective older brother' unless you as the player choose to make him go down that path.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Saoshyant posted:

I wish. No, it's a fixed number, always limited, never giving you full access to every character event. The idea is that, like real life, you only have so much time to spend with others, so you have to pick carefully who you want to spend it with.

Ah, yes, just like real life, I have too many friends and not enough time. Just too many dang friends.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

They left the url on the image is the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Clarste posted:

I like Juna but I do think it's weird that she's not just an SSS fangirl, but actually someone the SSS seems to personally know. I don't think that was necessary for her character, and it might actually have been even more emotionally significant if they didn't know who she was but gave her their blessing as a representative of Crossbell anyway.

I'll give it a pass since a core tenant of Trails games seems to be "Talk to everyone that exists every chance you get" so I think it'd be weirder if they didn't know her