Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Could someone (re)upload the 100% save for TitS? I'm just getting around to starting SC and the link in the first page is dead.

My personal save is off by 2 goddamn BP because I forgot to turn in the very last monster hunt quest before the point of no return and only realized it after I'd spent several hours fighting those loving monsters-in-boxes for the ultimate weapons.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Excellent! Thanks.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - I hate fishing. Can someone just tell me EXACTLY where the gently caress I'm supposed to fish to get the Pearlglass Fish, and EXACTLY what rod and bait I need for the Rolent "Diaset's Secret" quest?

Pearlglass fish can be caught with Earthworm, Dumplings or River Snail as bait. The rod doesn't matter, it only determines what bait you can use. The starter rod can use Earthworm, so that's enough to catch Pearlglass. As for locations where Pearlglass is catchable, there are two in Rolent. One next to the bridge in Elize Highway and one in (end of chapter spoilers) Mistwald near the tree where you find Luciola and fight the chapter bosses.

I recommend savescumming just in case you get unlucky and don't have much bait.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

One last thing: Is it possible to find the original recipe for Rolent's "Nostalgic Recipe" quest currently?

There's no bonus BP associated with that quest. There is only one way to resolve it, so don't worry too much.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Well just beat SC. That was a good game. I really want to redo the final dungeon bringing different characters to every boss to see how they react, but I'm all Trails'd out for a while I think. I'm curious about one thing though, (ending spoiler): What happens if you bring Kevin to the final battle? Does he sneak out to finish off Weissman and somehow no one notices? Or does that scene change?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm at the part in FC where you have to sneak over to the cathedral to meet Julia, and I'm starting to get a sinking feeling. Is there any dumb stealth section like that in SC?

Thankfully, no.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 27, 2015

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Omobono posted:

Speaking of the Carnelia, isn't the full set in the library in one of the embassies? I remember going :argh: at that.

By the way, there are absolutely no sidequests, missable collectibles* (that I'm aware of) or anything in chapter 9. Only plot, plot and more plot.

*technically speaking you turn in the Gambler Jack reward for an ultimate weapon in ch 9. I don't think it counts as belonging to ch 9.

There kinda is one actually, related to the Gambler Jack reward.

When you get to the residential area and find the Data Crystal Z, you can backtrack to the first house and use the "Read Crystal" option on the computer to get a second piece of Zemurian Ore. If you turn in the data crystal to Russell before doing that you can no longer get the second piece.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm super bummed I won't be able to use Cheat Engine on ToCS to play battles at 5x speed. I saved 30 hours of my life by doing that with SC (comparing time played in-game vs. time played as reported by Steam).

Still going to buy it, I willingly give my life to Falcom.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

So bonding points in Cold Steel: is there some arcane optimal spending pattern that unlocks secret stuff or am I free to use them as I see fit? Since you can apparently farm tiny amounts of link XP in battle I assume you can max out everything anyway.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Really Pants posted:

Also, make the "leader" a ranged character because it's so much easier to faint monsters from behind with ranged attacks, especially Machias' shotgun.

Monsters have a limited chase distance. Move up to the monster so it chases you, run away until it stops. Walk up to it and wait for it to turn around to return to it's original spot you can get an easy faints with any character.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ToCS Ch. 2: It feels like I'm always broke. I can only barely afford to upgrade 3-4 weapons for my 5 party members. They're all still using default armor, even.

Is this normal? It just feels wierd there's a ton of shops with multiple items to buy and all I ever buy is the next tier of weapons in every new city.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Has anyone managed to beat (Final Chapter ToCS) Loa Erebonius on Hard without cheesing in some manner? I was level 65ish and had to resort to S-Craft spam via Zeram Powders. Besides that or Chrono Burst abuse I really don't see how you're supposed to kill it without grinding a bunch of levels.

Also this game has an even worse cliffhanger ending than TitS, drat.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Slur posted:

One of the things that bugged me about SC's ending:

Why does nobody ask any members of Ouroboros who the Grandmaster is? Joshua and Renne were both former members, and could have fessed up easily. Any of the defeated members in the tower were not exactly in a position to bargain either. Wouldn't it make things much easier for the party in any situation to just target her and get rid of the root of the problem? And wasn't Kevin in a prime position to ask that to Weissmann?

Presumably because they don't know. Joshua/Renne/Leonhardt were only Enforcers, and there's no reason for an Enforcer to have that knowledge when the Anguises exist precisely to carry out the Grandmaster's plans. If anyone does know her identity it's maybe the Anguises, but even that we don't know for sure.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just starting up 3rd. From a quick googling it seems there's no real missable stuff in this one? Thank Aidios.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The 3rd guardian on the 6th plane is kicking my rear end. Goddamn Cassius. I can handle the fight fine until he buffs up damage and speed and then he just wrecks me with back to back turns and/or his S-Craft. Seems like a massive difficulty spike, I hadn't had any trouble at all until this point. Am I going to have to cheese with capsule-fueled Grail Sphere spam? I'm playing on Hard, btw.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

In Trails 3rd, for the finale I suspect are they gonna pull one from the classic JRPG tropes and force me to use all characters for the final dungeon. Should I buy update gear and quartz up everyone before going past the point of no return?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Extremely easy. You can download other people's cheat tables which means the hard work of finding memory addresses is already done.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

How does no one post the ultimate Falcom video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhO37PCNAu0

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

When THE gently caress is Ys 8 coming out on PC?????????

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

There's no way to transfer a CS1 save from PS3 to PC, is there? I might as well ask if anyone has a PC CS1 save with the best rank and best dance partner (Laura, of course).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just started playing Ys8 PC and jeez, this port is absolutely god awful.

I've never had any problems getting my controllers to work with any previous Ys game, yet somehow this one had me troubleshooting for hours just to get it working. First my controller wouldn't get detected. Then it got detected except the right stick didn't control the camera, but I know the right stick was working because pressing it did center the camera. I tried emulating an XBOX360 controller with BetterJoy, rebinding stuff with the steam controller config, going straight XInput, etc, none were really satisfactory solutions.

It's now at a playable state but it's still hosed up in several ways. The confirm/cancel buttons and skills aren't rebindable so I have to confirm with the 9 o'clock button and the skill panel's layout is all hosed up respective to the actual buttons that activate the skills. Also the prompts everywhere are extremely wrong because neither the XBOX nor PS4 button configs are close to matching the actual layout of the controller.

The game's also managed to hang twice during cutscenes in like 1.5 hours of gameplay. gently caress NISA forever.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CS3 coming to PC on March 23rd.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

They also added local co-op to Ys 8!? :eyepop:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jeez, that monster chest in Mainz road is a very nasty surprise. Good thing I save every time I see one of those. I'm used to them being hard battles, but randomly having a couple of level 35 bosses in a level 15 area is way meaner than usual.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm at what feels to be pretty close to the end of CS3 (just finished Ch4) and while I'm enjoying myself, I feel like the characterization and storytelling in the Cold Steel series has taken a huge nosedive from earlier Trails games.

90% of boss fights are you crushing the absolute poo poo out of some supposedly uber-powerful person only for them to cackle in the post fight cutscene about how they were holding back and are actually completely fine and now suddenly all your characters are winded. This happened in earlier CS games as well but in 3 it happens nearly every single fight.

It's kinda gross how every female peer Rean interacts with ends up having the hots for him (aside from Angelica but that's a whole 'nother :can:). That scene in Ch3 where Rean gets kissed by both Sara and Claire within like 5 minutes because he listened to their sad backstories was so god drat embarrasing in how much of a pure juvenile fantasy it was. It probably wouldn't feel so awkward out if it wasn't such a specific and singular obsession with Rean. There's no romance or desire really expressed towards anyone else aside from gags from 1-dimensional characters like Angelica. I'd at least expect some relationships to form between the new students, but nope. It is pure teenage male fantasy focused entirely on Rean as the player standin all the way down.

This minor, but my biggest pet peeve is that nearly every scene of plot exposition is a meeting or conversation that has some third party listening in. Apparently every single wall and door in Erebonia is entirely worthless at soundproofing. It's completely impossible to hold any sort of confidential meeting without someone eavesdropping.

All that said, I do actually enjoy the overall plot. The whole factional nature of both the overt and covert conflicts backdropping the story is really great. It's a suprisingly complex web of various actors with distinct motives each pulling towards their own ends, and you get to try to unravel the mystery as you go along. If only there was more of that in the cutscenes and less of well... everything else.

I'm probably being overly harsh. I do realize Cold Steel is very much a school drama harem anime with gundams and thus things like these are to be expected, but it almost feels like self-parody at this point. Maybe it's because I'm very far removed from playing Sky FC and SC, but I remember those games having far better plot and characterization and not leaning quite this much into tired anime tropes. I did play the new Zero TL just before CS3 and while some of these tropes are present to some extent, it was a lot more subdued than it is in CS3.

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old and cantankerous. Anyway, I'll take a McFlurry with my order, thanks.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Regarding Angelica: I really liked her as a character in 1 and 2. In CS3 every single line of dialogue from her is just hitting on whichever woman is on screen at the moment, which quickly becomes as tiresome as everyone gushing about Rean all the time. I don't remember her being quite this bad about it in previous games, but I might have just forgotten.

Endorph posted:

I think they overplay the Rean harem stuff a bit but I'm fine with it conceptually because like, it's actually understandable why girls would like Rean, speaking as a girl. He's a handsome guy, he clearly cares about other people, he's relatively proactive, he actually has a sense of humor. He's more engaging than a lot of harem protagonists because he actually has some back and forth with people rather than just kinda blandly accepting it.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Rean is not appealing, he certainly is. What bothers me is that he's the only man in Erebonia that anyone appears to be attracted to. There's plenty of other handsome/caring/cool/accomplished guys around Rean, but you don't see anyone talk about how they are crushing on Jusis, Kurt, Ash, Randy or really anyone else at all. The fact there aren't any relationships forming between any other characters makes the Rean focus feel extremely forced to me. I guess there is an implied Jusis/Millium pairing? But it's played off more as an Agate/Tita dynamic than actual romatic love. And it makes me wonder if it didn't only happen because Millium isn't one of Rean's love interests so she's free to be with someone else in the writer's minds.

Shinjobi posted:

I have seen Cold Steel's true face now. I am sad.

:same:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Maybe I'm as dense as Rean but I always viewed Agate/Tita to be very much big brother/little sister, despite a bunch of people teasing them at various times about it being something romantic. While Tita definitely crushes on Agate, I never got the impression from Agate that his interest for Tita is anything other than brotherly/fatherly.

Especially considering they met in Sky FC when he was 24 and Tita was 12, which would make that interpretation of their relationship gross as gently caress. Even by their ages in CS3 a 28 yo getting on with a 16 yo is pretty drat hosed up.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ao/CS3 (maybe CS4?) spoiler question: So I know Mariabell ends up becoming the third Anguis as the replacement for Weissmann, at some point before CS3 (during CS3, they mention Vita being outvoted 6 to 1 by the Anguis WRT the Phantasmal Blaze plan, which implies there is a third Anguis already). I figured this would get revealed during Ao, but it isn't (or I missed it). The way Campanella and Arianrhod talk during the final chapter of Ao, it doesn't seem like Mariabell is the third Anguis yet, since they mention Ouroboros is no longer directly involved with events in Crossbell and what's happening is not their plan. Unless they mean that this is Bell's personal plan and not Ouroboros' as an organization? There's a small hint towards this during the final dungeon when you beat Shirley. Shirley says something like "Maybe I should take her up on her offer", by which I assume she's hinting Mariabell offered her a spot as an Enforcer. Which we know she ends up taking, as we see later in CS3. But if this is true, this also implies that Bell's already the 3rd Anguis, unless the offer actually came from Arianrhod instead. Which seems unlikely to me given Arianrhod's noble knight shtick. So where does this bit of information actually get revealed? Is it a NG+ scene or something?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Erpy posted:

As for Rean, he didn't truly become "evil". What happened was that Osborne was going ahead with the Crossbell annexation with or without him and Rean was put in a position where the hero of the empire could either sit back and watch two roughly equal sides engage in a long and drawn-out conflict with plenty of casualties on both sides (to say nothing of the Crossbellians getting caught in an extended crossfire) or he could help Osborne achieve a decisive victory that would at least end up relatively bloodless for all involved. Rean being someone who hates even seeing enemies lose their lives in the conflict, chose the latter option even though he hates the situation he's in.

I know this is what the writers were going for but it didn't really land for me.

If Rean really was opposed to this aggressive colonial war, why the hell wouldn't he try to stop it? Osborne has maneuvered him into the perfect position to do so. He's the famous hero who saved the royal family, beloved by all. Plus he has a shitload friends in extremely high places. Him speaking out against the invasion in public and getting all the other prominent figures he personally knows like Olivert, Alfin, General Craig, Governor Regnitz, Viscount Arseid, Jusis, etc., to join him would definitely help sway public opinion against the war.

Not to say this would have stopped the war, but it would at least open an avenue of actual political opposition and resistance to Osborne. Instead Rean shrugs and goes "Oh no, I am so conflicted about all the war crimes I'm doing, but I'm only doing them for the greater good." gently caress off, Rean.

Extra stuff with minor CS3 spoilers: I also don't buy this walk-back they try to do in CS3 where they attempt to explain that while Rean was constantly participating in all these wars of annexation, he was only helping people and saving lives while doing so. Come on. During the CS2 epilogue he's down in the Geofront trying to steal the database full of every Crossbell citizen's data to hand over to Osborne's secret police.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

U-DO Burger posted:

Crossbell took out Garrelia. Even as a shounen protagonist there was no way in hell Rean could have successfully swayed public opinion against retaliation/invasion

E: also, it's OSBORNE. he would not have allowed Rean to gain that war hero status it if it meant he could have stopped his plans to invade

Let's not award Osborne any more omniscience/12D chess proficiency than he already has. Though I guess Osborne could know his son well enough to know Rean's too much of a coward to do anything other than meekly march into oppressing people because he got a fancy signed order.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nate RFB posted:

I mean think about it this way, you have a literal member of the Royal family that our lovely Chancellor has sworn loyalty to who has thrown everything but the kitchen sink at sinking such plans, from scrounging up political capital abroad to basically literally recruiting his own personal army in Class VII. That he had to do that despite being in the position that he is should tell you just about everything you need to know about how powerless Rean would also be in this situation. The world keeps turning with or without him and Class VII and I think I actually sort of appreciated that at the time.

Also I think calling Rean's actions war crimes is pretty unrepresentative of both the text and the character. Which is not to say that Falcom loves to treat war crimes as weirdly easy to forgive elsewhere (Azure honestly is probably the most egregious).

Here's the thing: You correctly mention Olivert's opposing Osborne in a myriad ways, doing everything in his power to fight back. Contrast that to Rean, who doesn't do anything to oppose Osborne's invasion of Crossbell. In fact, he does the exact opposite and actually helps instead. After all his speeches of "never giving up" and "fighting against impossible odds", Rean ends up looking like an incredible hypocrite. It stands in absolute contrast to the rest of the game.

I was being mostly hyperbolic when I said war crimes, but giving Osborne's shady secret police access to all the personal data of an occupied population is pretty drat bad. That action by itself might not be a war crime but it's clearly meant to enable one.

U-DO Burger posted:

it's less about omniscience and more an acknowledgement that at the end of CSII Osborne has significant power, is completely ruthless, and likely has control of the press, so any resistance from Rean could be easily quashed before anything could possibly come of it.

You might be right, but it doesn't change the fact that Rean doesn't even try.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

uiruki posted:

I thought that Ys 9 was worse than 8 in pretty much every way, and the framerate didn't help. Pretty much everything they added (the extra verticality, the wider movement, wider areas, the big town, the expanded collect-em-up, the "encounter" system in the town, the story's chapter structure) all felt like they dragged the game's pace down even compared to the already kinda flabby 8, and the performance on PS4, even Pro, is genuinely bad at times, heading sub-20fps during busy fights in the city - luckily the dungeons fare better.

It's still worth playing though, there's not really anything coming out now that does what these games do better - it's still very good. Just a bit disappointing after how much I genuinely loved 8.

To be clear though, don't preorder this game on Switch until it's known how it performs.

This is why I'm buying Ys9 on PC after Durante works his magic on it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ys always has bitchin' soundtracks but 8 is still a cut above the rest, easily the best since Oath in Felghana.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Finally got through CS4. Liked it, but I was definitely tired of the Erebonia cast by the end. Biggest plot disappointment: Crow should've actually died like every other immortal. Real waste of a sept-terrion miracle bringing that guy back, tbh. That's probably been discussed to death (lol) here already.

Best plot stuff: Olivier/Schera's wedding, the images at the end were very cute. Olivier is basically the connecting thread between the 3 arcs and his wedding felt like good closure on all three. That said, I hope for Kuro they at least attempt a clean break and start limiting returning characters. CS4 suffered a lot from having too huge a cast and having to give everyone something to do/say at any given time.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

MythosDragon posted:

Meanwhile, my favorite aspect is the returning cast, and my biggest disappointment in CS4 was how much they tried to limit it to one or two scenes rather than actually give me the huge hell yeahs I wanted all across.

Well yeah? The reason you don't get the "huge hell yeah" moments is precisely because of the ridiculous amount of characters. It's just untenable to have so many characters in a game and have them all contribute meaningfully. That's how you end up with these awful stilted scenes where 30 different characters each take their turn respond to a major plot development with a one-liner.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PaybackJack posted:

- P.S. I really enjoy how Adol is a genuine hero and likable guy despite being the silent protagonist. The ending good byes in these games always feel very earned. Someday, maybe in X, Adol will find a gal and settle down and when that happens I'm going to bawl my eyes out.

Adol already has a life partner wtf

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

infraboy posted:

I thought it was something I missed but nope the previous games mentions of Hamilton are that he is a male, I have no issues with them making Hamilton a female for Calvard games even if they have to change up some of the previous dialogues.

I figure this was more of a translation thing than a retcon. In English there's no real way to refer to a third person without using a gendered pronoun, at least not without the dialogue sounding really weird and/or contrived.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PaybackJack posted:

Uh, that's definitely you projecting. Especially when it comes to dealing with people from other countries and seeing their names, using 'they/them' is very common and not weird at all. In academic writing, you should be using they/them so you don't reinforce biases when referring to other's work.

You're right, I generalized too much. Obviously when gender is actually unknown, using 'they/them' as pronouns is fine.

However, in this specific case the character in question is supposed to be a famous person in the world. The people talking about Hamilton are supposed know her gender, it's not a secret to them! So the translators have to decide whether to write very strange sentences so you can keep the gender neutral as in the original (which you can see in bad anime localization when they refer to "that person"), or just make an assumption and use either he or she so you can write more natural dialogue, which is what was done in this case.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I saw a streamer play through the Sky trilogy recently and, not having played them since they released, I was loving impressed at the quality of the writing. I had forgotten how good it is, like not just the plot itself but the prose even in casual dialogue is really good. The localization on those was absolutely amazing.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ooof, that Rixia screenshot and the other even worse spoilered stuff from previous page.

Falcom seems intent on making it really hard to stick with this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Junpei posted:

Whoever said you can't have boobs and plot at the same time is a coward and a liar

how does Rixia having a busty model invalidate the political plots and labyrinthine mythos and mysteries and character backgrounds?

Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with big titty ladies in a game, but Rixia's model is just comically bad. It looks like something out of a shovelware steam hentai game. Does anyone actually find that poo poo titillating?