Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just finished Trails in the Sky and am starting SC. Is there anything I should now going in? Are these Chain Craft things any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm near the end of Cold Steel 2 and every time a critical damage turn comes up within the first few rounds and Laura gets to whip out an S-Craft with double damage on her first attack and a constant 125% increase from her master quartz I feel giddy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm not sure I'd even call FC's ending a cliffhanger. You have a good idea of what's going on and no one is in immediate danger. It basically just serves as a way for them to tell you what the second game is going to be about.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm glad Munk was finally able to fulfill his dream of joining the local yacht club.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, it looks like he's probably being directly tied into the main plot through a connection with Barkhorn, but that's kind of hidden behind a few layers in the games we've had so far. Leaving Elliot as the only completely and utterly extraneous one in regards to plot points.

I'm pulling for Elliot to be crucial to the Calvard story in some shape or form.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

For those who've been paying attention have there been any major changes to the combat in CS3?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sweet butterfly decal.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I got to the last dungeon and decided I was through, so I just watched how it ended. It felt completely unnecessary.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pretty messed up we don’t get to see Altago.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I only played 8, did it take place before 7?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Well that’s confusing.

I looked it up and 8 takes place between 5 and 6.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 27, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve been assuming we get Ys next and the earliest we get CS4 is late 2021.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I beat CS3 and there’s one thing I didn’t follow that I’m not sure if I was supposed to understand. How did Musse become some super puppetmaster who was running things behind the scenes? There was like two month gap between me beating the section at her hometown and the game so if I missed something let me know.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it's pretty easy to enjoy the games and not talk to every NPC you encounter multiple times . Outside your time at the school, in Cold Steel I didn't feel like I was robbing myself of something if I just wanted to finish up a chapter quickly and move on. You just miss out on some world building stuff, which is nice to have, but missing it doesn't ruin the story or anything.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

One of my favorite weird tonal villain moments is at the end of CS3 when Osborne blows up Olivier's airship and you get shots of all the other villains wincing like they don't think that was a good thing to do. These are the same villains who are at that moment trying to help summon an evil god who will plunge the world into violence and chaos.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CS3 Ending: My interpretation was similar in that it seemed like Osborne thought he couldn’t stop his countrymen from going all violence happy due to the curse so he decides to put himself in charge of everything and channel the curse and the country’s craziness into a war with Calvard instead of letting the country tear itself apart. It’s been a while so some of that could be wrong.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

I also figure Gaius is the PC most likely to appear in future series after Cold Steel and Hajimari, and honestly, I'm pretty OK with that, too. (Maybe some of the temps are more likely, but Gaius is pretty up there)

Part of me always hoped this was the point of Elliot. Just him showing up as a traveling musician to get wrapped up in an adventure as the character who has some understanding of the mystery going on in the background.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I still thing that laziest reveal I've ever seen is George Nome being Georg of the Gnomes, with the only difference being his name is now pronounced with both hard Gs.

I loved that, it is just so dumb in the best way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

vandiar posted:

Have you gotten to the point where it connects you to a person or are you just at the point where you're answering the yes/no questions?

I tried it and it denies me after it asks how long ago the purchase was made. I assume because it has been more than 14 days since I paid for it and the policy says you can't do it after 14.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I played through some of the prologue and I'm not sure I like some of the combat changes. I get Advantages and Double Advantages, but the enemies all get turns after all my characters have attacked once. I thought I'd get multiple turns. Similarly with Breaking I broke some enemies and they just immediately recovered the next turn before anyone else acted. If this was how it was in 3 I've totally forgotten it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure that how my end game has gone in every Cold Steel game. I never use Arts really until I only use Arts.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 28, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If I’m going to be punished for breaking an enemy right before their turn is supposed to happen they need to surface what their break HP is and exactly how much break damage my attacks are going to do.

Honestly the action economy for the enemies seems out of control in general I've had monsters in random battles start to cast an art, cast the art, start to cast an art, cast the art all before anybody else even gets a turn,

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 30, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I get a chuckle about how in CS4 Falcom tries to obfuscate who characters are sometimes. If someone don't recognize Campanella and Lechter and are thrown off by "Green Haired Man" and "Red Haired Man" I'm not sure they should even be playing this game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hold up game, I would have been way more upset during the ending of CS3 if I'd have know that Valimar was also killed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah the combat in CS4 is mostly just more frustrating. Your orders are nerfed at the start and break status can end immediately after happening, to say nothing of the enemy instant-cast followed by instant-cast mentioned before.

All of this combined with the fact that it seems like every enemy can inflict some sort of status that keeps you from attacking and how every attack seems to hit multiple characters makes everything feel like a real slog. You do get good orders again eventually, but it feels like they've over nerfed most of the ways you can get ahead of enemies as the series has gone on and you are just left with "I can do a lot a damage."

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 2, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rean is perfectly fine as a character. The problem is that the writers decided almost every other character either needed to fall in love with him or think that he’s the coolest dude they’ve ever met.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I agree with this. I don't like Rean-Alisa as a pairing, but I do think the games would have been helped if they'd just decided it was canon and gone with it.

It's funny in CS4 when after Rean is back they have a moment alone, the only girl who gets one, and she gives him deep hug and says how thankful she is for him and then on your first bonding event she basically breaks up with him for dumb reasons like the game is giving you a pass to get together with any of the other girls.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve started to dread bonding events in 4 because almost every one with a female character ends with them confessing their love to Rean and him just being like “Okay, you ready to go back?” It’s so bad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Just avoid bonding scenes that have a literal love heart on the "spend bonding points?" prompt. There's more than enough bonding events to avoid the lovey dovey ones.

I need those character notes though and the juicy character info you get before the random declarations of love.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gaius and Elliot have been Rean's boys from the jump and he should always be hanging out with them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Altina rules and anyone who picks her as the final girl in the end should have the game auto wipe their save.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Unlike the other characters don't be afraid of her heart-tagged bonding events; they are not creepy. No idea about the final 'event' (the game will make it explicit if this is the case) since as Ethiser said anyone who picks that deserves a save delete.

I assumed it got all romantic in the end. The first bonding event seemed to be her realizing she liked Rean romantically.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like that Ash wants to date Tatiana and characters teasing him about it is really funny. It’s one of those good stories that plays out in the background that the series does well.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I finished CS4 yesterday. I enjoyed the game overall and was glad to play it, but I wish they’d just let us play as Ouroboros in the next games. My biggest problem with CS4 was the villains. The game just seemed to refuse to allow them to be bad people. Even the most Shonen of Shonen stories have most of the final villains be bad. Here it’s pretty much just Alberich who doesn’t secretly doesn’t want the good guys to win or doesn’t really believe in what they’re doing. I especially hated Claire. Like she doesn’t get to be such a sad sack about taking part in an evil scheme when it is fully in her power not to participate. Really though RIP Valimar. You were the best and deserved to live way more than Crowe.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Adept Nightingale posted:

I do appreciate that Cedric is like the only antagonist they don't even try to insist is redeemed in CS4. From end to end, an insecure, entitled little poo poo. It's refreshing in a game that tried to insist almost literally every other antagonist was being drug along purely by the power of the script curse.

Did they forget the scene before his fight where he has a breakdown after realizing what the curse has made him do?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Honestly thinking back on it Cedric might be the best villain in the game. That is some extreme damning with faint praise, but he realizes that while the curse made him do some bad things he was only influenced like that because of his own character flaws and that he needs to experience more of what the world has to offer to grow and become a better person. That is a way better character arc than what any of the Iron Bloods or Ouroboros got. His sister or Kurt still should have given him a good punch to the face at the end though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CS3 didn’t have nearly enough rival summer camps separated by a lake style antics between the two Thors.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It was extremely funny to me that at the end of CS4 all of Rean’s guy friends have a girl to hang out with, but all the girls that he knows are all alone pining for him.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As soon as I was able to I just used the same four characters as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think the hub idea works way better in Cold Steel 1 and 3. The school and town as larger hubs that changes as time passes works way better for me than the way it was handled in 2 and 4.

I would love to see an outline of what the Cold Steel games would have been like it they were just two games instead of four.