Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Can't decide between Ys VII or 3rd with my steam gift card. I just played the Oath era games back to back and loved them, but I'm wary of how different VII looks. I like the Sky games, but they feel a lot weaker to me then the Cold Steel games even though I played Sky first. I burned out bad on FC though I liked SC. Interest in 3rd mainly comes from me liking Kevin far more then Joshua or Estelle.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: These...these are certainly opinions.

I vastly prefer Cold Steel's cast and setting. I don't care for Liberl at all while I find Erebonia super interesting.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like Rean more then Estelle.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

As a caster, Renne is superior is practically every way.

but Renne sucks and Oliver rules.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

Renne is 12 years old and has three PhDs and she has literally the best orbment in the series AND she has the highest ATS of the whole party.

Also, if you're going to post about Olivier, you should at least spell his name right.

I don't give a poo poo about any of that, the game isn't remotely hard enough for me to have to care about optimization.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Hugo is boring as hell to play as but he's the closest the game's plot comes to being interesting.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Liberl is kind of lovely and boring compared to Erebonia and strongly disliking the setting is a big reason why I partially bounced off Sky but love Cold Steel.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

hellfire take: I have never actually finished FC. I played up till about the end of Chapter 1 when it came out, bounced off it pretty hard due to the dying snail pacing, then came back and just read the LP before going into SC which is a significantly better game in every way despite still having some pacing problems.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Agate is cool but his weird romance with Tita is incredibly creepy

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Enforcers actually providing a strong running threat and rogues gallery is a big part of why SC feels so much better paced then FC.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

towa is barely less boring then emma. Jusis is cool.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

i can't imagine how broken as a person you'd have to be to scream bullshit asspulls at the end of Cold Steel 1.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

SC is a significantly better game then FC.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

crossbell can gently caress off till we get Cold Steel 3

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

doing crossbell at the moment is a waste of money and especially resources since everything needs to be jacked back together somehow for pc

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gundams are cool, the stuff with rean at the end is the most interesting character stuff we've gotten in a long time.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Crossbell sewer dungeon is loving awful like all sewer levels are, especially coming right off the back of the awesome castle.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

the nobles are trash as they should be (gently caress all nobility, it's part of the reason I dislike Liberl a lot) but that doesn't mean Osborne is good. He's still a huge fucker just for very different reasons.

Osborne doing whatever he needs to do to crush the monstrous hell faction of the nobility is absolutely justifiable, it's just arguable because he's more then willing to kill a few innocents to get there.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I was suspicious before but now I'm fairly certain you haven't actually played the games

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cold Steel is better then Sky.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

And in contrast to Kevin Ries is boring as poo poo

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cold Steel 2>Sky 2>Cold Steel 1=Sky 3>>>Sky 1

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rean is way better then Estelle and Class 7 both old and new rule.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Scarlet is a major antagonist in the first game and has a small but fairly important antagonist role in the 2nd. Plus like three or four boss fights it’s on you for not remembering.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Agate/Tita gets real fuckin creepy at times but I’ve never gotten that impression from Jusis and Millium. He’s definitely more fond of her then other characters but it never really came across as romantic at all.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rean rules and the CS1 cliffhanger is the hypest poo poo. More series need to introduce gundams.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Get ready for a ton more of those.

Thankfully most of them aren't as bad as characters screaming at Agate he should hook up with an underage girl.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Have you considered that it was in fact you who was bad at Oath and not the game itself.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Joshua sucks Estelle is ok Rean is good.

Elise is bad and Estelle x Joshua was bad.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No gently caress most of the moon doors.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

most of the moon doors are just verbose for the sake of it and are boring as sin. Or boring and creepy like Tita's.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I actually agree that world building in general is a waste compared to actually developing your themes and is a crutch fantasy stories like to lean on rather then having any coherent themes that are worth a drat. Trails struggles with this quite a bit but I don’t think it’s as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Also Ouroboros owns and have the best fights and songs.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cold Steel's an aggressive game but you can do defensive builds that are very effective. The main issue is that if you don't actually invest in defense you will be squishy and offense is a lot easier to build around. Plus some poo poo like Delay and Rean in general are just incredibly broken.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

A NPC like Becky has more characterization, development, and pathos than about 90% of the Sky cast, let alone the playable folks.

Honestly yeah. A lot of the new students even outside the party in 3 are fantastic too.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kevin was great and a way more interesting protagonist then Estelle.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mcburn rules and is better then loewe Tita’s mom is the worst character in the series

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I completely bounced off the series incredibly hard with TiTs 1 but I liked TiTs 2 and Cold Steel a lot. TiTs 1 is a slow burn compared to slow burns.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished Ys 8 and I really didn't care for it compared to the few I played before it (Origins, Oath, 7). The exploration and island setting were actually pretty cool but the combat felt incredibly loose and not nearly as good as the others with meh enemy designs and horribly inconsistent hitboxes for the Flash moves. The bosses all felt kinda samey and boring to fight especially compared to Oath. Skills also just felt less fun and impactful then in 7.

The increased focus on plot was also not particularly great when the plot was extremely boring. I actually preferred 7 and Origins plots by a lot and they weren't nearly as centered on it. The character stuff built around the castaways and the early survival stuff was cool and fun, but once you get to Dana it just got less and less interesting until I didn't care anymore at all by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The combat and enemy design in 7 was much better and that’s 95% of what i care about