Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cat doter posted:

someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

Persona 4 has a much more robust character customization system. The love of Trails in the Sky is pretty much based on the charm of its characters and settings, I'm guessing, since orbments weren't exactly the deepest system in the world, especially given how only a few of them were actually any good. Despite the layout, combat isn't particularly tactical and holy poo poo did this game need a fast forward button on those animations. Persona 4 wins for its auto combat speed, if nothing else.

Both are pretty anime, but in different ways.

Edit: Also did not know Legacy of the Wizard was a Falcom game. That game could definitely use a modernized version, since it owned back in the day.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cake Attack posted:

i dunno if theres anything worthwhile but she gets a craft that steals, which turns her from bad into a thief type which are normally at least supposed to be weak

But rogues are usually among the highest DPS classes in most games/systems?

Also goddamn Chapter 2, drop some Time sepith, please. Do slime lumps (or their equivalent) show up in this chapter or should I farm the Jade Corridor so that I can make some sweet sweet Action 2 orbments?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What's the best level/part of the game to tackle the Hard Arena?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Really Pants posted:

drat. I sold the Jinu because it was weaker than the sword you get in the final dungeon. Now I'm replaying on Nightmare and I can't win the Star Door 5 fight to save my life. :saddowns:

Along these lines, are there other things that you shouldn't sell? Like the weapons you get in Chapter 3, for example?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Do we have a date yet for CS PC? Google only gives "summer."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is there anything worth stealing with Josette? Even bosses don't seem to have decent swag., contrary to my JRPG expectations.

Edit: Also, is there a bug or typo with the Evade quartz? I always thought that it was stupid that they only gave like, at most 5 AGI, when there are accessories out there that give like 50 and equipment that gives 100. I think I have Josh with some 200 or so AGI and he evades pretty often, but I don't expect much with...+5. Was there a 0 missing at the end?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

hepcat posted:

TiTS 3rd end game: what's going on with the giant shining pom and his minions at the bottom of the Abyss (Chapter 7)? My 4 characters are at level 135, I buffed Julia and used her S-craft with 200CP and it did no damage. How do you kill them? Is a particular character required?

Use S-Crafts. Agate is not required but helps for obvious reasons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Having finished TITS 3, I assume Lechter Arundel and whoever his co-lead in the student council was that had a portrait will appear in other Trails games. Also, is Olivier's plot with his Erebonian political intrigue continued in CS or Ao/Zero?

You loving game, you're not supposed to create more loose threads!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm surprised Sky 3 didn't have a 3 party dungeon to go along with the 2 and 4. I was also sorta disappointed that the dungeons weren't as intricate at the Phoenix Cave / final dungeon in Final Fantasy 6. Goddamn those were fun dungeons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Anelace peters out in the next few dungeons after you get her, especially as she gets overshadowed by people with more utility in crafts and spells. Although she is pretty solid in the endgame since she gets a free Zemurian-ore level weapon.

Richard is the actual broken katana-wielding character. I think a solid 75% of the damage done to the final boss came from him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

You don't need to equip the Jinu in the Nightmare Arena. Just give her a Zemurian katana (and then pass that one on to your other katana wielder because obviously).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Cold Steel 3 slated to be the end of the Trails-verse?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tae posted:

Hatsuu gonna overwork Burch since she no longer can do life is strange

Wasn't the prequel thing just because of a schedule conflict? I don't know if Life is Strange 2 would somehow continue the story (why???) or do a new thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I didn't use Zin in SC since he wasn't Estelle, Josh, Agate or Olivier, so what was broken about Thunder God Kick?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm playing through Cold Steel 1 and goddamn money is hard to come by. Am I missing something here? I just barely get enough to get weapons by the second day of the Field Study. Also Time Sepith, but that is like, every Trails game. They really need to spread out the good poo poo from Time, but unfortunately they're all part of the color pie. Maybe Mirage for Cast? I dunno.

Also I have no idea what Jusis and Machias are supposed to be good for, and Chapter 2 is dragged down by these two characters that don't really have a thing in combat (although at least Jusis can help Rean stunlock).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Not A game tease, so therefore XSEED is localizing Zero AND Ao!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The Colonel posted:

it's hosed up that La Tear had to die so Breeze could be the new aoe heal

Also hosed up that Aerial (and Arts in general) got nerfed to hell too. I don't think I've used offensive Arts in CS except for enemies that have high physical defense, and sometimes I just have Laura try to brute force her way through.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

One thing that I would like to share my appreciation of in the Sky series is that they didn't kill off Cassius for drama/motivation, even though all of my JRPG instincts were going oh no they're going to kill off the dad to raise the stakes. But nope he just has a job,like the other good classic JRPG Earthbound.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

My concerns about the series ending that will never come aside, I will say the Sepith system gives a lot of extra incentive to grind. EXP drops off fast, but I still kill everything I see just so I can mix up enough quartz to grasp UNLIMITED COSMIC POWERRRRRRRR

Really they just need to either increase Time sepith drops or spread out its Quartz to other types. Action is like the one Quartz that is pretty universally useful, and Cast is necessary to not make casters suck. CS for some reason moved Impede from Wind to Time (obviously because of the Delay effect but c'mon), which is not helping things!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Playing through CS1, Chapter 5, but are the events of the trade conference shown in the Crossbell games?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Kild posted:

I've not played a Trails game but why do they need all this extra poo poo like hacked money and speedhacks to just be played?

Sky's combat is incredibly slow so the Turbo Mode is a godsend for it and would have easily shaved a lot of time from when I played through it.

Cold Steel is incredibly, incredibly tight with money. You will likely have money to give 4 people weapons and like 2 people armor. I'm not sure how you're supposed to afford stuff like Evergreens without cheating or abusing Warm Egg Soup (or playing NG+, I guess).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Beelerzebub posted:

>Not using Mueller

WTF

Everything he can do someone else (probably Agate) can do better.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Despite finishing Trails FC close to launch, I just got back in SC (which has led me to forget some characters and stuff, whoops). The combat seems more difficult in SC. What are some recommended builds for Estelle, Kloe, Olivier, and Scherazard? I just beat chapter 2 and have Tita and Zin as well. I'm not good at RPGs at all.

You have three of the best spellcasters in the game. Aerial and White Gehenna are pretty solid choices for attack spells, but you'll likely be full of Time arts since Cast + Action are pretty much locks for all of them, and EP Cut gives you some nice space and mirage that you'll always need. Iirc Tita and Zin are not very good in SC, although Zin is occasionally useful on bosses since using his Stat boost craft + Taunt is actually pretty solid tanking (assuming the boss doesn't use Arts). But I couldn't look past their lovely SPD stats or the fact that earth quartz loving suck throughout the entire series so Zin has some terrible orbment choices.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I finished Cold Steel 1.

What the gently caress!? Also do all first parts of Trails games end with someone being revealed as evil the entire time?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Just turn them into visual novels already.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I assume it's Towa.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

One thing to note for Chapter 8 is that Grancel has a new shop. This new shop is good and you should make sure that you spend all your money at that shop before you deliver the last unit, since after that you'll be railroaded into the chapter finale and won't be able to return to the shop. I think there's also a way to abuse that shop, but I forget the specifics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ulio posted:

Does ys origin have cloud save? I had to reformat my computer and was already at the final boss...

If not we will just play again from the start sadface.

If your save wasn't recovered, I can send you save files for any character right before the last fight. It'll be on Normal though.

Speaking of Ys, I started playing Ys 1 after Origin and drat that music is sweet. The gameplay less so, but I understand that it is an old game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ys 1 and 2 has better music but much, much worse gameplay. It does follow up on Ys Origin, technically.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ulio posted:

Is there a recommended level guide for Ys Origin? I feel underleveled after Rado's Annex.

If it's about those special Karons you need to kill to charge up the Evil Ring, those things are always lovely to fight.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So...we're not getting a Calvard arc?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The bat boss is simple as poo poo compared to the last boss. I think I won that just through sheer luck.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rean knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to spend time with Emma.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The real focus should be to hire pro voice directors who give a poo poo about the product they're making.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've played it, but I think it'd be cool to spoiler the last two party members of the 3rd, since they were a dope as hell surprise to me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

The natural 30% evade makes getting to 100% super easy, so you can shove a couple of Shield quartz and also give her a decent shot of dodging spells.

It's so easy that you can ditch Falco in favor of Murakumo to make her autocrits deal even more damage.

The dodgetank build is so stupidly good in CS2 once you get Wrath.

I haven't played CS2 yet, but Fie as a dodgetank was crap because if you built it right, nothing should get an attack off. Also because Fie somehow forgot that she has guns and Range 1 counterattacks are poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Star Door 8 makes a lot more sense after playing Cold Steel 1.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hugo is a better character (gameplay-wise) compared to Yunica though? Like that shield thing he has is hilariously overpowered and lets you not give a poo poo about avoiding attacks and the fact that he's ranged really trivializes a lot. He also seems more relevant to the overall story than Yunica as well and generally has a better, albeit still very predictable, story arc.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fadam posted:

I had to use a guide to get past this part, is there some clue in the game that tells you this is how you get through it?

Obviously you play Ys Origin where this exact problem was solved in the exact same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

If you don't like Olivier, you might as well quit right now since he's involved in every single Trails arc so far.