Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, this is kind of a weird thing, but I am trying to play Trials FC for the first time since I updated to Win 10. Everything seems to work ok, but the logo movie is off color and repeats (meaning there is two instances playing on the left and right sides) on my monitor. Out of curiosity I tried to progress to the opening movie proper and it just plain crashed. I already have save files, and everything else seems to work as far as I can tell, but there is no other movies in the game, is there?

I think I will try redownloading the game to see if that helps...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Go into the Configuration Tool and check "Windowed Mode" and then fiddle with the resolution until it's big enough for you. That should fix it.

That fixed it right up. Thanks!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got to the final chapter in FC and poo poo just got real.

Is the final chapter a super sized one, or should I start setting aside money for SC right now (I am definitely getting SC)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 16, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Well for me, the gameplay is still functionally identical to the last two games, which has never really done it for me as much as the older ones. Couple that with the bad localization and I'm pretty cool on it as well.

For what its worth, I liked Memories in Celetica (Need to get back into it one of these days). Hearing it has a poor localization does seriously make me hesitate. :(

I mean, it was never a focus, but I did like the flavor that the world and characters added.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 11, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Has there any indication, beyond what we are conjecturing (which I also believe, given what has transpired), that Falcom has been actively upset by this? As in statements they've actually made.

They were likely already pissed about NISA missing the promised PC release. That their localization was so shoddy that even Japanese sites were talking about it may have taken it over the top.

But yeah, I highly doubt that we will know what the actual chain of events were.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still can't believe there are people elsewhere online defending NISA for having to relocalize the game from scratch and push the PC port back to December because it needs a major overhaul and still would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

I am pretty sure that is only Nightwolfe.

Okay, probably not because people are dumb, but that is what I hope.

Yeah, that.
VVVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 11, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

havenwaters posted:

She got snared by FGO so no one's perfect.

Fate Grand Order?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Erpy posted:

Keep up the good work, NISA.

Seriously, this is why people use Lorem Ipsum whenever they need placeholder text.

https://kotaku.com/the-french-on-ys-viiis-vita-box-is-literal-nonsense-1819981754

Apparently that was the meant to be a french equivalent to Lorem Ipsum, but yeah, it would have been a heck of a lot more noticeable if they just used straight lorem ipsum. Assuming they were paying attention at all.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The localization I could forgive; Actual localization people on twitter did say that a turnaround of a couple of months was very unlikely at best, and I wasn't expecting a miracle. The PC version being delayed out of the year is probably worse for them though, in terms of their relationship with Falcom.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am under the assumption that the Sky series should be played before the Cold Steel series, is that right? I left off on the beginning of the last chapter on Sky FC (Which I hear is still a good half of the game), but all the talk about Cold Steel is making it tempting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finally completed Trails in the Sky FC, a full 2 years after starting it and falling off on the final chapter intro, and finally moving onto SC.

I feel like it is fitting that I finally completed one of my white whale games on new years eve.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently NISA has their Ys 8 retranslation patch out? I am trying to decide if I want to play it right now, but I am rear end deep in Monster Hunter currently, not to mention that Dynasty Warriors 9 is in about a week.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got to say I was giving NISA the benefit of the doubt and was thinking that they merely just pushed the wrong build to release, which, while still not good, is something that bigger studios have done before.

But no, even with the delay they still release something terribly buggy. I get that eventually they need to release, minimum viable product, etc. The localization rework probably did not help either. Still, after everything with this release, they still expect to get a mulligan?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oof

https://twitter.com/nitomatta/status/1137135398793109504?s=21

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, at least Ys 9 being out gives me a reason to finally resume 8

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For serious, I spoiled myself on the bigger twists in Ys Origin way back when. Is the gameplay still real good at least?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

ys 9's premise had might as well be "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions"

adol has the unique distinction of being an "adventurer" in a world where roaming thrill-seekers who stab ancient evils to death are rightly viewed as dangerous lunatics by people who aren't personally familiar with them

To be fair (Haven't played IX yet. Want to), isn't this taking place in a part of the Romn empire, which Adol has fought at least twice by this point and would probably be on their shitlist?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is Ys IX? Reviews seem to say that it is basically 8, but wether it is better or worse depends on who you ask.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So in Ys 8, I think I am in Chapter 5 (where Dana joins Adols party proper ) How much is left of the game because christ it feels like it adds something else once I think it starting to wind down.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this would make more sense if there weren't plenty of otaku-based stuff that at least is willing to try.

Fuckin' Super Robot Wars can do an entire game about how capitalism is a greater evil than anything else and also lesbians are super cool.

In the most recent Yakuza game, when the main character (Very minor early spoilers about an unrelated game) started going off about how poor people are lazy and complacent was immediately put in his place by a monologue from his friend that basically boiled down to "No you loving idiot"

On Ys 9, looking from the outside-in this seems like a shonen-esque self reliance platitude that does not read well nowadays, driven out of control. This is me trying to be diplomatic here, though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 7, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is Zero good if I liked these games? :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

infraboy posted:

Zero is awesome until you play Azure.

Does this mean Azure is even better, or so bad it makes the previous game worse?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I kind of want to play Zero. On the other I am like 60 hours deep (Chapter 4) in Xenoblade 3 and I have been meaning to get back into that.

Really, I do have more than enough ridiculously large JRPGs in my life. Not that it has ever stopped me, mind. :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 30, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is the combat in Zero? I played Skies 1 and 2 and Cold Steel 1. I wouldn't call them amazing or anything but I thought they are bare minimum pretty fun.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I just want a thing where you can tell if an NPC has ran out of unique things to say.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Amppelix posted:

Why? There's no need for anything like that with how these games work. Everyone always has something new to say at the exact same time. That would just end up putting a star or whatever next to literally every character constantly (i guess it would help in remembering who you checked already though)

That, and it would help in cases where they may have another bit of unique dialog after you talk to them if that makes sense. Like, you talk to them once, then you could talk to them again and either get another unique dialog or they just repeat. I make it a point to talk to an NPC at least twice to see if that happens since it does sometimes in JRPGs in general.

I liked the unique dialog tracking in Xenoblade 3 and I would like to see it in other places :shrug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am thinking of getting back into Zero; Left off after the shortly after the part where Estelle and Joshua enter the story. I am a little wary since I never did complete Sky 2 though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

its not mandatory but that stuff does land better if you clear sky 2/sky 3. if you don't wanna bother you could read the LPs on lparchive

I am also tempted about playing it on steam deck so I could play it on my couch (Apparently Sky 2 is not compatible out of the box for Deck, though I do see workarounds on proton db, but I could remote play on it), but yeah, if all else fails I will just go through the LP.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am finally at chapter 7 of Sky SC after years of putting it off. I have a couple of questions:

1. I am still wondering if I want to play Sky 3rd or start Zero again after that, but I was wondering how much does Zero follow up from 3rd? I understand 3rd is kind of its own story while tying up loose ends from the first two games.

2. I think I crystalized the biggest thing that bugs me about Trails combat, which is generally fun. However, in the late game, at least on Normal difficulty, enemies tend to be large piles of HP that are tedious at best and unfun at worst. Does going up to Hard mode in Zero or 3rd fix this? I am hoping that it makes it deadlier for both sides, but I kind of doubt it. I ask this because I completed the prologue on Zero on Hard and I was wondering if I should continue.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I had forgotten that SC has one of my favorite tropes: Secret organizations filled with high ranking fight weirdos you need to face in every chapter.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In the last chapter of Sky SC, and I have a question: Do I need to worry about characters being suddenly forced in for a boss fight? I mean, I imagine that there will be sections where a character will be required (Namely: Scherazard and Zin for their respective rivals ), but my specific question is if there will be a chance for me to grind up any character I haven't been actively using if they are required, or if it comes up suddenly that I do not have a chance to do that and I may as well do it now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was looking up tips on the 5th boss and it says that being Tita on the 4th boss has an extra scene?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Edit: nevermind I think I understand now

EDIT 2: any tips for that 5th boss other than keep earth wall up and maybe have Kevin for his S Break?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 21, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I went back and fought the 4th boss with Tita and did I need to fight Renne with Tita in the previous fight? Because that was basically nothing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, that is Sky SC done and dusted. I got to say, while I was wondering if I should just move on to Zero, that scene with Kevin at the end makes me interested enough to play 3rd, assuming that it is Kevin centric

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The more I think about it, the more I wish that SC had an extended ending rather than Cassius on a dragon saying "Everything is fine! Story is over! Go home! :v:" , considering the state we entered into the final chapter. Like, maybe go around Grancel seeing the state of the world..

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am at the point where Estelle joins and I am surprised how much I am liking Sky 3rd.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why are you surprised?

Mostly in how focused everything feels, though I want to finish or mostly finish the game first to see if my thoughts still hold before I elaborate if that makes sense.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: actually nevermind, this does not seem as bad as I thought

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I am back to thinking the Sky 3rd fishing door is pure bullshit

EDIT: this loving baron cheats