Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Haha no one on his team ran with him, what a joke.

What the hell, Cavs? Isn't Love supposed to have some of the best basket-to-basket speed in the game? Wasn't that one of the first big narratives when SportsVue information started being publicized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tadashi posted:

What the hell, Cavs? Isn't Love supposed to have some of the best basket-to-basket speed in the game? Wasn't that one of the first big narratives when SportsVue information started being publicized?

Huh? Love doesn't have footspeed; he is a great outlet passer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

tadashi posted:

Back injuries can really limit that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think I might be a terrible fan because of all the schadenfreude I'm getting from Pels fans overreacting to last night. Apparently, many of them thought that a fast pace would fix every offensive problem and that Erman would turn them into a top defensive unit overnight (even in spite of the team missing four of its top five defenders).

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Love has never hurt his back, not to mention what Kibner said about him being an outlet guy

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kibner posted:

I think I might be a terrible fan because of all the schadenfreude I'm getting from Pels fans overreacting to last night. Apparently, many of them thought that a fast pace would fix every offensive problem and that Erman would turn them into a top defensive unit overnight (even in spite of the team missing four of its top five defenders).

Everyone on that team is dead, what did they expect? Also, AD had an outlier game of terrible proportions.

Here, feel better and let the soothing stare of McBob heal and cleanse your soul:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PantsFreeZone posted:

Everyone on that team is dead, what did they expect? Also, AD had an outlier game of terrible proportions.

Here, feel better and let the soothing stare of McBob heal and cleanse your soul:

His hair triggers me because of premature male pattern balding. :mad:

Most of them expected losing handily, but they apparently forgot what that kind of loss looks like. Fans are dumb.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kibner posted:

His hair triggers me because of premature male pattern balding. :mad:

Most of them expected losing handily, but they apparently forgot what that kind of loss looks like. Fans are dumb.

I was high during my fantasy draft and somehow ended up with Jrue, Eric Gordon AND Tyreke. I don't have enough starting players because of that.

They need 4 months to even see what they could have.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Love would rarely run the court on a break like that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

McBob never left the 90s. Never change.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying to google that love stat but not coming up with the right thing. I may have a a faulty memory, but I remember it was more a measure of guys running in a straight line from defense to offense, which was easier in Kevin Love's case, because he was only half heartedly defending.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

Love has never hurt his back, not to mention what Kibner said about him being an outlet guy

Love played most of last season with a bad back.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lockback posted:

This is Lebron for ever and ever.

https://streamable.com/41sz

Holy poo poo this is awful.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

edit: ahhhh basket to basket not back to the basket.

Still pretty sure he has back issues.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yes he does have a history of back issues and being an outlet guy has nothing to do anything. The original statement was "back to the basket speed" as in how well he moves in the post on offense.

Read it again

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Love played most of last season with a bad back.

I missed that but he doesn't run fast anyways

edit; Friendly reminder to everyone that league pass is free until Nov 3 so watch all the games!!

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 28, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I wonder when they'll start limiting Lebron's minutes this year. Part of the advantage of going to Cleveland was supposed to be the fact he could rely on Love and Irving to carry some of the load, but Irving's pretty much as big a health risk as Wade (if not more so, I think last year's the only time he's played over 70 games, and he still missed time during the playoffs) and Love's also had injury issues. That team still relies on him for so much, and he's played a ton of games already that they have to start thinking about cutting his time (or giving him more time off like the couple weeks he had last year). I have a feeling the East won't be nearly as bad as people think though, so it may come back to bite them.

Also, is it just age why people are so high on Davis? I understand he's good, but I don't see him getting much better than Orlando Magic Dwight, with less defense/more offense. I've not seen the Pelicans much, but the handful of games I caught last year he never seemed nearly as dominant as a lot of people make him out to be. What am I not seeing? I certainly don't see him ending up as good as say, Duncan or KG (which isn't an insult at all, but based on what I read you'd think he's a combination of Jordan and Wilt).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

alansmithee posted:

Also, is it just age why people are so high on Davis? I understand he's good, but I don't see him getting much better than Orlando Magic Dwight, with less defense/more offense. I've not seen the Pelicans much, but the handful of games I caught last year he never seemed nearly as dominant as a lot of people make him out to be. What am I not seeing? I certainly don't see him ending up as good as say, Duncan or KG (which isn't an insult at all, but based on what I read you'd think he's a combination of Jordan and Wilt).

he had the best PER ever for a person not named LeBron, Wilt, or Jordan last year and was barely old enough to legally drink

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

alansmithee posted:

Anthony Davis is a PG in Dhalsim's body.

He is the perfect specimen and he's going to destroy all of your preconceived notions on basketball much like Steph is doing when it comes to shooting.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 28, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

alansmithee posted:

I wonder when they'll start limiting Lebron's minutes this year. Part of the advantage of going to Cleveland was supposed to be the fact he could rely on Love and Irving to carry some of the load, but Irving's pretty much as big a health risk as Wade (if not more so, I think last year's the only time he's played over 70 games, and he still missed time during the playoffs) and Love's also had injury issues. That team still relies on him for so much, and he's played a ton of games already that they have to start thinking about cutting his time (or giving him more time off like the couple weeks he had last year). I have a feeling the East won't be nearly as bad as people think though, so it may come back to bite them.

Lebron played the fewest minutes per game last year than he ever has, so I think it's fair to say his minutes are reduced. What would you call reduced?

And basketball players get better with age, so Davis's age is important. He is better a year ago than KG and Duncan were, and NO ONE has put up the kind of numbers he has at his age.

Ultimately I think he will be very comparable to KG, but that's REALLY exciting. His skills with the ball are incredibly unique for a player his size, which is why people are so excited.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tony Snell is really good and will have a good season

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm trying to google that love stat but not coming up with the right thing. I may have a a faulty memory, but I remember it was more a measure of guys running in a straight line from defense to offense, which was easier in Kevin Love's case, because he was only half heartedly defending.

Yeah, I misremembered it. It had to do with Kevin Love running a lot in general:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/big-data-meets-big-dunks-on-the-cutting-edge-of-sports/#ixzz3psyhF8yz

quote:

Or, when players refer to Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves as a guy who “goes hard,” it’s because he really is doing the most running on the floor.

That wasn't exactly the quote. I think what I heard was on Hang Up and Listen or possibly a baseball podcast where they were interviewing someone about SportsVU.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was watching this new Hawks court projection thing:
https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/659384845097824256

thoughts:
1) neat. Does it look okay from any other angle or is it like those perspective drawings which are confusing and disorienting if you're not in the exact correct spot?
2) the dubstep wub-wub sound has become progressively more embarrassing for almost half a decade now. Please, default music, find a new sound.
3) at some point in the animation there are hawk claws which grab a basketball and stuff and I am reminded that Hawks are technically Raptors. This feels like a problem
4) I wonder if all Hawks fans have seen Over The Top and are aware that there is no distinction between a Hawk and Hawks?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

omg the hawks come out to the welcome to atlanta isntrumental that's fire

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tadashi posted:

Yeah, I misremembered it. It had to do with Kevin Love running a lot in general:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/big-data-meets-big-dunks-on-the-cutting-edge-of-sports/#ixzz3psyhF8yz

That wasn't exactly the quote. I think what I heard was on Hang Up and Listen or possibly a baseball podcast where they were interviewing someone about SportsVU.

I think you are mixing it with the fact that Love makes your team better in transition since he is great at hoovering up defensive boards and has a quick trigger on accurate outlet passes. He himself isn't super fast but he fits well on a fast team.

He does run a lot though, but on transition he's most deadly as a trailer to hit the straight-away 3.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

I was watching this new Hawks court projection thing:
https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/659384845097824256

thoughts:
1) neat. Does it look okay from any other angle or is it like those perspective drawings which are confusing and disorienting if you're not in the exact correct spot?
2) the dubstep wub-wub sound has become progressively more embarrassing for almost half a decade now. Please, default music, find a new sound.
3) at some point in the animation there are hawk claws which grab a basketball and stuff and I am reminded that Hawks are technically Raptors. This feels like a problem
4) I wonder if all Hawks fans have seen Over The Top and are aware that there is no distinction between a Hawk and Hawks?

make the inception bwoooooooooooom sound the default dramatic noise for everything

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
(with an exception of a slight uptick after the 62 game season in '11-'12) LeBron's regular season MPG has been declining steadily for the past 5-6 years

He's been pretty steady putting in 40+ minutes in the playoffs tho

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Nail Rat posted:

My high school coach would have murdered every single Cav not named Lebron in this scenario.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Based on yesterday's performance I would say that the only thing preventing the Pistons from going 82-0 is that our bench is loving awful.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lockback posted:

This is Lebron for ever and ever.

https://streamable.com/41sz

This is what the last pickup game of the night looks like for every fast break

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Notes on Kirk Goldsberry's new article on Russell Westbrook
grantland.com/features/russell-the-creator-westbrook-nba-oklahoma-city-thunder-western-conference-kevin-durant-serge-ibaka-kevin-love

1)

quote:

The box score encodes that sequence as three points for Ibaka and an assist for Westbrook, but that bookkeeping seems crazy. Like so many Ibaka field goals, this one was born in a galaxy far away from the eventual shot location — at the moment that Westbrook beat his man and compromised the defense. Yes, Ibaka’s reliable catch-and-shoot action neatly punctuated the sentence, but Westbrook provided all its language. To say that Westbrook “assisted” this shot is akin to saying George Lucas “assisted” the creation of Star Wars.
THIS IS A BULLSHIT ANALOGY EVERYTHING "GREAT" ASSOCIATED WITH LUCAS WAS THEFT NOT ORIGINAL CREATION*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qJ4BmXjY9I
EDUCATE YOURSELF

2) https://vine.co/v/O0U2q0FKmPa
:aaa: :aaaaa: :supaburn: :swoon: :supaburn: :aaaaa: :aaa: I'm so happy NBA is back

*speaking of theft, the vulgar thug Thabo Sefolosha stole a ball 4 times last game he's a great defender but a remorseless criminal

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nail Rat posted:

He should have just kept running and Bo Jacksoned out of the arena and into a two week hiatus.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lockback posted:

Lebron played the fewest minutes per game last year than he ever has, so I think it's fair to say his minutes are reduced. What would you call reduced?

And basketball players get better with age, so Davis's age is important. He is better a year ago than KG and Duncan were, and NO ONE has put up the kind of numbers he has at his age.

Ultimately I think he will be very comparable to KG, but that's REALLY exciting. His skills with the ball are incredibly unique for a player his size, which is why people are so excited.

I'm thinking like 30 mpg or so. Didn't Curry only play like 31 mpg last year? Pretty much get him on the Spurs plan ASAP. Alot of this is also just remembering how much he was trying to do last year in the finals.

And as for AD, I've not really seen him have much handles for his size (although he's good on the drive). Seems similar to Bosh or someone with that same kind of faceup game. I'm not sure I see him actually playing pseudo-PG like Garnett used to (although he is young so maybe?).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Based on yesterday's performance I would say that the only thing preventing the Pistons from going 82-0 is that our bench is loving awful.

If Drummond can continue shooting 60% from the line, he's unstoppable.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
stephen jackson is hosting sportsnation today, if you want to see how da trill stak is doing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

alansmithee posted:

And as for AD, I've not really seen him have much handles for his size (although he's good on the drive). Seems similar to Bosh or someone with that same kind of faceup game. I'm not sure I see him actually playing pseudo-PG like Garnett used to (although he is young so maybe?).

I feel like this might be very wrong. Davis is the was-a-guard-until-his-growth-spurt guy. Kevin Durant is the only other person in the league near AD's size with remotely comparable ball-on-the-floor ability. And comparing any big guy's handles to Kevin Durant is historically unfair. The guy has like a three yard sidestep. To me it's one of the most impressive physical feats in basketball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXonsFmXAmY

AD gets huge usage with comparably few turnovers. Maybe his handling just looks a lil janky because someone with 20 foot arms protects the ball differently than a regular PG? I dunno, you can sorta see it with the way Tim Duncan plays--a lot of 'quickness' in Bigs is in the economy of movement, if that makes any sense?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Anthony Davis ever fix his hosed up teeth?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DOOP posted:

Did Anthony Davis ever fix his hosed up teeth?

I think so.

He does not have very good handles, though. If they were Lamar Odom level, that would be great, but they're not. He can make one or two quick dribbles and go up. He will turn it over if he is pressured by multiple defenders or has to dribble more than a couple times.

His turnover rate has been low because, before this season, he wasn't asked to facilitate the offense. He got the ball where he could score (off of passes or offensive rebounds) or he would pass it back out. He doesn't really have great passing vision, either. As a result, he rarely had to make tough decisions when getting the ball; just had to shoot, dunk, or reset.

He has one or two post-moves, but can't handle double teams, yet. Those moves also don't work when the paint is crowded because they involve him spinning or just driving to the rim after starting from 10-15 feet out. He used to have fantastic touch within five feet of the goal, but that seems to have gone away as defenses have become more physical with him.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

I missed that but he doesn't run fast anyways

edit; Friendly reminder to everyone that league pass is free until Nov 3 so watch all the games!!

How does this work? PS4 app or something, or is there a way to get it on Verizon Fios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How does this work? PS4 app or something, or is there a way to get it on Verizon Fios?

Yeah, you want NBA Game Time on the Playstation store

• Locked thread