Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Hey there, do you like InFamous? Do you like non canon stories? Do you like Halloween? Do you like vampires? Do you like things so bad but know that they're bad so they just run with it and have a good time? Well I'm going to stream InFamous 2: Festival of Blood in about 10 minutes! Happy Halloween everyone!

https://www.hitbox.tv/kalonzombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

Hey there, do you like InFamous? Do you like non canon stories? Do you like Halloween? Do you like vampires? Do you like things so bad but know that they're bad so they just run with it and have a good time? Well I'm going to stream InFamous 2: Festival of Blood in about 10 minutes! Happy Halloween everyone!

https://www.hitbox.tv/kalonzombie

"How do we make a guy with electrical superpowers more badass? Make him a vampire!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Speedball posted:

"How do we make a guy with electrical superpowers more badass? Make him a vampire!"

The orange lightning is a nice visual touch.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I really liked second Son, Delsin as a character has as previously mentioned the right sort of background and archetype for going either way whereas Cole kinda seemed to veer more heavily.

Just in case anyone cares for clarity watching the evil run:

The reason the big bad was killing people to make conduits in infamous 2 is that the raysphere (and conduits) were emitting a type of radiation that gave non-conduits super cancer (or something) and he believed that the best solution was to evolve humanity into conduits to help them survive.

The effects of the ray sphere detonation while starting in not new york merely awakened the conduit gene, these people with the possibility of powers were gaining the by being exposed to the radiation/energy, hence why Delsin in bumfuck nowhere can get powers and when Cole did his whole kill all conduits to save humanity as a whole it did also kill alot of people with that gene (all at the time but again, wouldn't be an infamous game without powers).

Also infamous 2 was set in not New Orleans.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the idea is that Conduits can, and do, occur naturally. Otherwise Kessler wouldn't have existed to go back in time and create the Ray Sphere in the first place. And considering the Ray Sphere uses human life to forcibly awaken a single conduit, Kessler probably didn't even care about the side effects. So what Cole did killed all the Conduits who were awoken by the Ray Sphere, while leaving those who hadn't been more or less alone. And still allowing for them to awaken normally after the fact. The difference being that now the government is well equipped to identify and track Conduits, whereas before the RFI incident they could probably live more or less in obscurity.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
On the subject of the morality system in this game it really feels like an artifact of the previous games. It's called InFamous so it needs a moral choice system but in the end the evil part of Second Son seems tacked on. There are very few scenes that seem to change depending on Delsin's morality. The fact that Reggie sticks by Delsin no matter his morality and that he loves his brother and all are sweet but him being okay with you murdering people for no reason and killing cops who get in your way felt weird. Like if Second Son was written based on the assumption you would choose to be evil they definitely would have had a scene where Reggie calls Delsin out on stuff like that but he acts like nothing is wrong. You could say he's in denial but it just seems like laziness on Sucker Punch's part. Going by previous Infamous games supposedly based on trophy statistics a large majority would get the good-guy ending and not the evil one. Just abandoning the moral choice system entirely would allow for a better story. They could just have a linear story where Delsin struggles to find his own morality, trying to get what he wants and realizing how his actions affect others. At least in the previous game you could do evil missions while being a good-guy and vice versa. As others have mentioned once you make your first moral choice in the game you're pretty much stuck with it the rest of the game. I think most video games in fact have better stories if they are more linear. introducing multiple choices in a game means you either have to write around the different choices such that the outcomes are always the same or you to write an exponentially larger amount to realistically show the consequences to each and every choice a player makes.

About conduits and such, It doesn't make much sense how there are so many people with super powers now. Before the events of the first infamous people with psi and such existed but the one person strong enough to fight with telekinesis was considered a genius and would have been the ruler of the secret society of psychics or whatever if it wasn't for time travel shenanigans. After the first game some minuscule part of the population were getting super powers but then all/most were killed because that would somehow stop the plague killing people without superpowers? I think it was the guy whose superpower was awakening the latent superpower genes inside people who was the cause of normal people dying so I guess his death, which was only possible with the conduit-genocide device, was what stopped the plague. How is it there are more people born with superpowers is some genetic mystery I guess. Basically it's X-Men and conduits are mutants.

macfam fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 2, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

macfam posted:

Spoilers

I think that more or less the same happened between Cole and Zeke in the first game, so not much of a difference there. The game doesn't aim to be an exhaustive character study, its an excuse to play with different powers and be a moustache twirling villain that blows up everything and everyone at the drop of a hat if you want to. Because explosions and collateral damage is fun.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I think the idea is that Conduits can, and do, occur naturally. Otherwise Kessler wouldn't have existed to go back in time and create the Ray Sphere in the first place. And considering the Ray Sphere uses human life to forcibly awaken a single conduit, Kessler probably didn't even care about the side effects. So what Cole did killed all the Conduits who were awoken by the Ray Sphere, while leaving those who hadn't been more or less alone. And still allowing for them to awaken normally after the fact. The difference being that now the government is well equipped to identify and track Conduits, whereas before the RFI incident they could probably live more or less in obscurity.

This is I think how it worked when they realised "Hey poo poo we needed conduits" the ending of 2 explicitly had people dropping dead who had never manifested powers (which was poignant considering the overall tone of that ending).

On the subject of morality/endings man is infamous good at tugging at your heart strings, that evil ending to infamous 2 is some of the most heartrendingly well done "You are the bad guy" storytelling.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The continuity it the three games' stories has been iffy since inFamous 2. The games have a lot of weak spots and plot holes that they hope you don't think about.

The important parts: Conduits do occur naturally. The raysphere just jumpstarts when a conduit "awakens" to their power. The raysphere kills people and emits radiation. Both non-conduits and conduits who hadn't awaken their powers are susceptible to this radiation, creating the big, bad illness. The Beast could cure conduits by awakening their powers. GoodCole's ending in 2 has all of the conduits die around the world, regardless of whether they could or couldn't use their powers. This means that the conduit gene has to be some mutation that occurs later in life, or the game just hopes that their lose definition of "conduit" allows for leeway.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

poo poo yes. Three of my favorite LPers doing my favorite game I've never seen. Kalon how do you get such great people to commentate when you have such bad Ratchet and Clank opinions?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Infamous, and other video games, do indeed have some weird, perfect teeth. I think they should've removed teeth entirely from this game and just called it Infamous: Second Gum.

I'll see myself out

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The update's been live for a few hours now, but the forums were down and I had work and then uhhhhhh

Episode 2: Best Two Out Of Three? ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love how Delsin's ringtone is music from the Sly Cooper games :allears:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

We need to get your co-commentators in a steel cage match at the end of the LP and have them settle this rivalry once and for all.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wow, I don't think I could write Delsin as more insufferable and whiny if I tried.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Wow, I don't think I could write Delsin as more insufferable and whiny if I tried.

If it's anything like the other InFamous games he'll mellow out of whining so much and just get poo poo done.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This game has some amazing lighting effects, Just look at the evil smoke illuminate the surroundings as you shoot and melee stuff. It's a pity good just gets.. brownish-orange smoke instead of Evil's glowing red embers.

Mzbundifund posted:

He gets much better. He's basically an entitled art-school drop out at this point, but he's got a pretty good plot arc.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

We need to get your co-commentators in a steel cage match at the end of the LP and have them settle this rivalry once and for all.

I'm pretty sure that's the plan for the finale of First Light at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That has to be the weakest 'Render aid before character X' prompt I've ever seen. Wouldn't want Reggie to fall in the water and have to swim five to twenty feet so he could pull himself out!

What is he, Altaïr?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

RareAcumen posted:

That has to be the weakest 'Render aid before character X' prompt I've ever seen. Wouldn't want Reggie to fall in the water and have to swim five to twenty feet so he could pull himself out!

What is he, Altaïr?

After the Ray Sphere exploded in the first game, it created a worldwide epidemic. Suddenly, people started developing strange powers in exchange for their ability to swim.

Then there was a pirate called Gol D. Roger, who was the king of the pirates...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kurieg posted:

He gets much better. He's basically an entitled art-school drop out at this point, but he's got a pretty good plot arc.

Man I hope so. There was a person literally calling for help and he was sneering at his responsible brother for wanting to actually help, not ten seconds after claiming that he would change people's minds about conduits by being a 'good guy'. What a douchebag.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mzbundifund posted:

Man I hope so. There was a person literally calling for help and he was sneering at his responsible brother for wanting to actually help, not ten seconds after claiming that he would change people's minds about conduits by being a 'good guy'. What a douchebag.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable 'you think you're a black sheep but everyone else thinks you're a wolf in sheep's clothing' deal to finally set in on him.

I do like that the reason he's doing all of this hasn't really changed between the good Hero and evil Infamous sides. The Akomish people are awesome, ergo I gotta save them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable 'you think you're a black sheep but everyone else thinks you're a wolf in sheep's clothing' deal to finally set in on him.

I do like that the reason he's doing all of this hasn't really changed between the good Hero and evil Infamous sides. The Akomish people are awesome, ergo I gotta save them.

That's more to do with the fact that outside of a few instances, the cutscenes are the same between good/evil side unless you're in a good/evil mission.

It does make the evil playthrough somewhat... schizophrenic.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 7, 2015

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I enjoyed Second Son, but I found the stand alone DLC a hell of a lot better than the main game. Anyway Kalon, thanks for LPing this game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today my co-commentators get into a prank war.

Part 3 - Kickass Tag ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Speaking of the validity of Brontosaurus vs. Apatosaurus, recently the former was determined to be sufficiently distinct from the latter to warrant its own genus. (Yes, I know you're referring more to the century-old mishmash; this study is at most a year old.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Evil Path's Betty Phonecalls are heartbreaking :(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Re: Sly Cooper!

The turtle's name is Bentley! He was there in the first game, no excuses :colbert:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I don't like the evil karma bombs as much as the good ones. It can be hard at times to find enough evil stuff to fill up the meter in time, while a good bomb can be gained in pretty much any fight that's got more than a half dozen or so guys due to all the injured civvies that you can heal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like our main character started incinerating civilians just a little too quickly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It does create a nice synergy though, because one of the ways to extend your evil karma streak timer is to slaughter civilians until you can get an enemy to kill.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Gosh look at you running right in front of traffic. A real good run Delsin would look both ways when not in danger, and not make random motorists think they're about to run a dude over.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The park with the dinosaurs in it does exist. It's called the Pacific Science Center, right next to the Space Needle denoted by those three awning/arches things. It's a pretty awesome place filled with kid-friendly science stuff that you can see and interact with.

The layout looks right for the area you were in too, nice to see the detail done (the dinosaurs and plaques take the place of an interactive water spout pressure thing IIRC though they might have switched that out. Haven't been in years.)

Edit: Oh, they're having a Dinosaur exhibit as seen by the billboard in the evil playthough. That explains that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'd just like to say that the smoke grenades loving suck when you're evil, okay bye.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A relay is just a series of contacts strapped to a magnet that you move by running current through a nearby coil. It's not a magical techno-thing, it's just a fancy switch.

:goonsay:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Awesome! I love the inFamous series. This, the 2 PS3 games, and First Light are all amazing. I even bothered picking up the platinum for this one and First Light. I think what originally drew me to inFamous was the idea that it was a modern superhero story. I always say that basically every popular superhero was created by the 70s. So seeing Cole have his own origin and growth into a hero (cause I'm a softie and always do evil in the 2nd run) was great. It helped that the gameplay was very fun and the game overall felt more free than it actually was. In the case of Second Son, it was my first PS4 game. It looks stunning, the gameplay is just as fun as the first two games, and the biggest complaint I have about the game is that it's painfully short. Of all complaints to have for your game, that's a great one in my eyes. Once I catch up, I'll have more to say about the actual LP :)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today, we get a taste of what next time has in store for us.

Episode 4: Flesh Eating Death Gaze ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
"Why is Kept spelled with a K?"

-Writer man :v:

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Just confirming that Jane Eyre is totally The Catcher in the Rye for ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I really do love the billboard conversations :allears:

• Locked thread