Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Two questions:

1) Is it possible for the manager-avatar to die of old age after many in-game years? I wouldn't think so, but it would be realistic if not advisable.

2) Now that it's been out for a while, what are the pros & cons of '22 vs '21? I did my research before bying '21 and everyone, not just this thread, pissed on '20, but the reaction to '22 seems more favourable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No you never die of old age. But realistically the probability is 99% your save file will die before you would, the game is really bad at going past 30 years or so of ingame time, and the badness grows exponentially.

I haven't bothered with FM22 yet but from what I hear it's worth grabbing on sale as a minor upgrade over 21. It's not like the 16-20 period where the match engine went backward pretty near continuously.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everyone in FM is immortal. Generally players and staff retire and vanish before that's apparent, but if you were to go into the editor, set someone's contract to expire in 200 years and then arrange a future transfer at the end, you'll have the crypt keeper lurking about in your locker room

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm surprised that no-one has made a 'long save fix' utility. Probably a lost cause.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Had a weird display thingy. I signed a 20-year-old full-back on a free to my newly-promoted Gateshead. He's got Spanish nationality and came up through the Barca academy, but has trained at Arsenal for long enough that he's considered homegrown in England and is a year out from gaining English nationality. Since Arsenal released him at the end of last season, he went back to being based in Spain and stopped accruing English residency time.

After I signed him, I got an email saying his work permit has been denied, I'm out £20k, and the transfer is in jeopardy. This was immediately followed by another email saying the transfer has gone through. I checked his profile and it shows him as having Settled status in England, his residency timer is counting again, and that he'll have no problem gaining a work permit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ever wanted to be even more disappointed in yourself than you already are?

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/become-newgen-fm22-fmfc

Now you can have a chance to appear as a newgen in game!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

"There's too much quickness training!"

*switches to strength training*

"There's too much strength training! Oh, and also there's not enough training in general."

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That way lies madness

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Azhais posted:

never forget when joey barton started playing fm and ragequit after getting into an argument with the player version of himself

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Just bought fm touch 22 for the switch. It's my first fm game. I started as hartlepool and kept most things decided by my assistant coaches. I kept my tactics as a 4231 control possession. I went through a year and I already got promoted. I never changed my tactics, but still got great results due to picking up a striker that got 22 goals. I feel like I'm missing a lot in this game. For instance, I saw the opposing team making goals after the goalkeeper kicked the ball over everyone's head and they ran like crazy to score on transition. What kind of tips do you have for a guy that knows zero about soccer but loves strategy games?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moktaro posted:

"There's too much strength training! Oh, and also there's not enough training in general."

Getting them to shut up about training intensity in general I've never quite figured out but going into your medical center and making sure the auto-intensity settings are on seems to help. The physical training otoh I get no complaints about when I rotate one of the three physical sessions each week. quickness->resistance->endurance->repeat. Seems to keep everyone happy and nothing is often enough to annoy them.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

grill youre saelf posted:

Just bought fm touch 22 for the switch. It's my first fm game. I started as hartlepool and kept most things decided by my assistant coaches. I kept my tactics as a 4231 control possession. I went through a year and I already got promoted. I never changed my tactics, but still got great results due to picking up a striker that got 22 goals. I feel like I'm missing a lot in this game. For instance, I saw the opposing team making goals after the goalkeeper kicked the ball over everyone's head and they ran like crazy to score on transition. What kind of tips do you have for a guy that knows zero about soccer but loves strategy games?

Should I be "playing" each game? I found that I change very little during a match. If we go down 1-0 I change mentality to attacking from balanced. Is that correct? I feel like I lucked into a successful season, or this game is easy enough to run on its own

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

After spending a couple years fiddling with training I finally said gently caress it and now just use a template I copy/paste across everything, which basically looks like this:

1 game in a week:

2 games in a week:

And everyone is always set to Normal Intensity and training at whatever position/role they play.

Before extra important matches I'll squeeze in Set Piece Delivery and/or Defensive Positioning if the fixture list allows (but of course usually it doesn't).

I'm sure I could get better development by minmaxing it more but it's too time consuming and the hell with it. The players develop adequately on this schedule and only the ones with low Professionalism/Determination/Natfit cry about it and they can go gently caress themselves. (A few players super high in those categories will complain it's not enough, in which case I'll increase their personal intensity until they turn around and cry it's too much and I say gently caress it.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Moktaro posted:

:argh: :argh: :argh:

The current level of training is low for this point in the season, while everyone is doing double intensity 3 sessions a day. Are they mad they’re not blowing their knees out in the weight room every week?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

I've been in there for years but never signed or even found myself. I think I'm a really short centre half or something I can't remember.

edit: Still only 18 but it's not looking good.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 25, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Getting them to shut up about training intensity in general I've never quite figured out but going into your medical center and making sure the auto-intensity settings are on seems to help. The physical training otoh I get no complaints about when I rotate one of the three physical sessions each week. quickness->resistance->endurance->repeat. Seems to keep everyone happy and nothing is often enough to annoy them.

One physical session every week (General Physical is fine), one goalkeeper session every week, and win football matches. That's 99% of complaints sorted. I only get them when fixture congestion gets in the way, and they never last long enough to be worth paying attention to.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The NxGn award is basically a shopping list :-

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I copied those training regimens and they've mostly shut up. Also we're currently in 1st and made the 1st round of the FA Cup again, with a puncher's chance against Newport County who are lower midtable a division above us (we beat Hartlepool last round). :getin:

And we're through to the 2nd round on penalties! 10 rounds, our long-serving keeper had to take one because we were down to 10 men, he took it with aplumb.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 28, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I guess realtalk on training I just copy Daljit's schedules

https://www.youtube.com/c/BusttheNet
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89jeeanjurzykfy/AACblxbokZzdUCaf3hbUCMe4a?dl=0

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think I broke it

I'm in the, uh, Vanarama National. I pay him £600/wk. I picked him up as a free transfer. I have no idea how I found him but god drat.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, that's decent form.
But this is good form:

(From FM08).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MapGoons Ligue 1 (and I cannot stress this enough) Uber Eats.

mp owns.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Just drew Metropolitan Police in the promotion playoff final.

gently caress the police. :getin:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Your entire starting eleven just got injured as they all collectively fell down the same set of stairs at the same time

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

They had 2 shots on goal and scored both of them.

We missed a sitter and had a chip hit the crossbar.

gently caress the police. :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

karmicknight posted:

MapGoons Ligue 1 (and I cannot stress this enough) Uber Eats.

mp owns.

I have heard MP is silly fun if you have the time.

Are you using touch and quick playing the games or playing them all? Either way that owns.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
we are sitting down for two three hour sessions a week, every week, forever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Incredible, I remember reading about these MP games with conditions like "can only join clubs outside football league" or "must win a Trophy in Scotland before you can take a job in England" which sounded very silly fun.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Chelsea: 38 shots, 4.77 xg, 5 goals.
Us: 5 shots, 0.96 xg... 5 goals. Equalizer in the 95th minute.

There is something intensely satisfying about FMing FM.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forgot a player had a clause in his contract to play as a deep lying playmaker (support). I used him all season as an advanced playmaker (support) where he was a star in the midfield and the fifth best selling shirt.

He demanded be sold because i disrespected him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I never ever promise a player a certain role. If they nonnegotiably demand it I end negotiations and if they're already on my team transfer list them.

My team does not tend to be stocked with high Ambition players

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They only need a few months of appearances in their favoured role, it's not a long-term demand thankfully. I'm pretty sure you can even cheese it by starting games in the role and changing tactics 5 minutes in.

Got to keep the superstars happy.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you play with Instant Result, the rear end Man will sometimes decide not to play someone in the role you've specified for them.
I got 60% of the way through a season wondering why my DL and ST were so angry about not getting game time in the role I'd set on the Tactics screen.

:ughh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Probably not happy because their manager stays home and waits for the results to come in on Soccer Saturday rather than doing his job.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

Probably not happy because their manager stays home and waits for the results to come in on Soccer Saturday rather than doing his job.

Nah mate I actually roleplay it as I'm totally smashed so can't remember the game, and my assman makes the calls for me because he's a good lad and has my back. Instant result? More like neck a bottle of cheap whiskey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hey, let's perform some thread necromancy!

As Port Vale in our first season in the Champions League, I just signed this 21-year-old Brazilian lad from a Brazilian team for £13.5M in the winter window:

No other team even tried to sign him. So far he's ripped off 6 goals and 3 assists in 8 matches (3 of them as a sub) and his attributes have already shot up even more. Now a list of megabastards already want him and he'll doubtless be off to Barca or PSG in the summer for his £97M minimum fee release. Not a bad piece of business, £80M straight profit and a lot of help toward staying in CL money next year.

Realistically though there is no way in hell a South American kid that good would still be playing in Brazil and available to random nominal CL teams. He would be in Barca's academy by the time he was 11. FM would be better if wonderkids past a certain level pretty near always appeared in a tip-top club's academy rather than still in his home country at 20 and easily found by looking at the Brazilian national youth teams. It's not like the game doesn't make things easier than real life for the player in a hundred other ways.

Yeah yeah I could have just... not signed him, but... but...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Neymar was still at Santos aged 20

e: Kaka didn't move until he hit his 20s, Ronaldinho went to PSG at 21. Obviously a different era but Rivaldo was 24 before moving to Deportivo La Coruna.

I guess the argument is nowadays they move sooner but it's hard to know how true that is without hindsight. The next big thing might be kicking about South America right now, just waiting for that move.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 15, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sebzilla posted:

Same with Kaka.

And there is the whole Juninho at Boro thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I actually did not know this, I thought he went to Barca as a teenager. :downs:

e: and he's my Under 18s rear end Man in my current Port Vale save, maybe he can at least hack it as a coach on a wet Tuesday in Stoke, Messi didn't even try. smh.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Premier League teams generally seem to sign two categories of players:
1) A first-team ready player
2) A young player who's willing to be at most a Fringe Player, but more likely a Breakthrough Prospect

For category 2, that seems to be players with 130-145 CA. These players will basically never get any gametime - they're just there to stagnate and die; they'll fail to get loan deals because the Premier League team will have to pay them £25k p/w to get them to agree 'Fringe/Breakthrough' status, and no-one who needs a player of that quality can afford the wages (or the Work Permit won't permit English clubs to play them).
So if that guy is too good to consider being a non-playing member of a megabastard's squad, he'll be fair game for anyone willing to give him game time at a level he's happy with.