Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
My Irish First Division team just won promotion to the Premier Division after a run of over-performance with some lucky loans and veteran players who will surely start to decline soon. I've strengthened the squad as best as I can after selling on a couple unhappy but talented players. My tactic is an overloading 4-2-2-2 with two wingers and two advanced forwards.

For those with more experience than I: can I still expect this tactic to yield results in the higher league? Should I adopt a more defensive play style? My board won't let me hire any better coaching staff or improve my training grounds and I've now used up the bulk of my transfer budget. I'd like to stay up if possible and hopefully improve things for a midtable run next season but I haven't found myself in this position before and would love some advice.

Thanks!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
You can absolutely qualify for Europe with a Div 1 winning Irish team, either through the league or a cup win. Winning the LOI is a bit more difficult unless you lucked into some loans, transfers or kids that win out against the more moneyed teams but is achievable.

Qualifying for Europe should be your goal. A win or two in the preliminary stages should clear any budget problems you have, then you get wage freedom to sign guys to win the league, then you repeat that.

The big problem in Ireland is the Summer League format, so you'll be in season 2, getting towards the hot part, before you're earning from Europe. It knocks everything on a season.

My one big tip would be to utilise your lower reputation for some good while you can. You can spot some good players with holes in their ability but that still work for your tactic. You'll be able to sign them for lower wages because your team's rep is low. The problem in Ireland comes when you should dominate the league, but you need to have a huge squad to balance out three games in a week during the European and domestic cup part of the season. Keeping everyone happy, plus attracting better players can be quite difficult. Thankfully Ireland has really lax registration rules so you can pounce on a guy who's been ignored elsewhere.

Within a few years European group stages should be your minimum target (before the board sees it as one) then it's a case of maximising money while slowly building up a team that can compete in knockout stages balanced against the fact that no footballer with half a modicum of pride would want to play in the Irish leagues. Part of this is also that you just won't get crowds unless you're a Dublin team (or maybe Cork?)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

apophenium posted:

My Irish First Division team just won promotion to the Premier Division after a run of over-performance with some lucky loans and veteran players who will surely start to decline soon. I've strengthened the squad as best as I can after selling on a couple unhappy but talented players. My tactic is an overloading 4-2-2-2 with two wingers and two advanced forwards.

For those with more experience than I: can I still expect this tactic to yield results in the higher league? Should I adopt a more defensive play style? My board won't let me hire any better coaching staff or improve my training grounds and I've now used up the bulk of my transfer budget. I'd like to stay up if possible and hopefully improve things for a midtable run next season but I haven't found myself in this position before and would love some advice.

Thanks!

As a general rule you should have a different approach for trying to win the league and trying to survive one, as the AI will perceive your relative strength differently and they set themselves up based on their expectations. When you're newly promoted teams will be Attacking and throw men forward with width, but if you're near the top by the midway point they'll be Defensive, sit deeper, restrict your space in behind etc. Getting your tactics right to exploit what other teams will be doing matters more than the quality of your players or staff.

You'll have to defend more after promotion. Advanced forwards will get joy on the break as there'll be space in behind (if they're quick). Drop the wingers to the midfield line to protect the fullbacks against overloads in wide areas. 4-4-2 simple as. Until teams get sufficiently scared of you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Tactically just do the exact opposite of what makes sense and you'll be golden in FM.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
So if I play a 1-3-5 set to fully defensive I'll stop conceding goals?

I'm rolling with the 4-4-2 and it's brought me to two wins two draws and a loss in the first five matches of the season. As long as my meager squad can stay healthy I think I'll be able to stay up.

I am worried about the dreaded tantrum spiral. Or poor morale spiral from losing just one match. What's the best way to combat that if you can't bring in new players? Just leave the sourpusses off the roster until we get a lucky win?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

You say that but in the old championship managers, the ones before the match engine let you watch anything and that still had John Aldridge and Nigel Clough up front for Liverpool.

2-3-5 was an effective and valid tactic for most situations

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

apophenium posted:

So if I play a 1-3-5 set to fully defensive I'll stop conceding goals?

I'm rolling with the 4-4-2 and it's brought me to two wins two draws and a loss in the first five matches of the season. As long as my meager squad can stay healthy I think I'll be able to stay up.

I am worried about the dreaded tantrum spiral. Or poor morale spiral from losing just one match. What's the best way to combat that if you can't bring in new players? Just leave the sourpusses off the roster until we get a lucky win?

Just win football matches and morale will be fine. Every good manager falls out with players. The worst thing you can do is overreact and drop good players who want to leave, they can easily change their mind within a few months if you're not throwing down ultimatums or making them train with the reserves.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
My 3-2-3-2 plays as a 2-3-5. One of my wide centerbacks or ball playing defender will inevitably join the 2 man midfield while the other 2 stay back, while my wingers and AMC are definitely part of the attack.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

sassassin posted:

Just win football matches and morale will be fine. Every good manager falls out with players. The worst thing you can do is overreact and drop good players who want to leave, they can easily change their mind within a few months if you're not throwing down ultimatums or making them train with the reserves.

I actually just did the latter, though it was a player I wanted to get rid of anyway. Got tired of him repeatedly bitching when no one would make an offer, so I kicked him down to the u18s. Kept winning and soon after he came crawling back for forgiveness. :colbert:

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I have never utilised loans all that much but have been playing a journeyman save for the first time. So I’m at this point in the save I’m playing as Parma in Serie A, and bizarrely, I have had a striker/winger (Alan Velasco) on loan from Inter for four consecutive seasons and have just renewed it for the coming season. He is worth €51m and is the second most valuable player on my team, and just one season ago renewed his contract with Inter for 5 years at €145,000 a week. For the first four years I paid €4,500 a week for the loan and in the new agreement I’m paying 10 % of his wage.

I don’t know if it’s technically a bug but it certainly doesn’t make sense. Inter have paid this man millions of euros to play for a title rival.

By the way, does anyone have a good grasp on how players are valued in this game? I have a striker who does real well for me - 25-30 goals per season (Wilfried Gnonto). He’s valued at approx €52m but a dip of form in the season had his value fall to €44m. I guess it really is an appraisal of the expected fee for him at a snapshot? I’m wondering if I should cash in on him since his skill is basically just being fast, having good movement and decent finishing. I think he could be pretty easily replaced.

csidle fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 16, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

csidle posted:

By the way, does anyone have a good grasp on how players are valued in this game? I have a striker who does real well for me - 25-30 goals per season (Wilfried Gnonto). He’s valued at approx €52m but a dip of form in the season had his value fall to €44m. I guess it really is an appraisal of the expected fee for him at a snapshot? I’m wondering if I should cash in on him since his skill is basically just being fast, having good movement and decent finishing. I think he could be pretty easily replaced.

Player value is a largely meaningless number based mostly on reputation, form and contract (wage and duration remaining). How much you can actually get depends on different factors and separate calculations, so I wouldn't plan any sales based on those fluctuations.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
Is there some hidden 'can't hit a penalty' trait? I signed a player with 16/16/15 (finishing/composure/penalties) and this dipshit is 0/4 through the first month of the season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No but there are hidden pressure, professionalism, temperament, and consistency traits that affect it.

If your default penalty taker has already bottled a couple chances before the penalty comes up, definitely don't let him take it, he failed his consistency check for the match and will probably miss.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A player whose body language is great also seems much more likely to score a penalty than someone whose body language is poo poo.

Alternatively, just get your GK to take them. I've yet to find a keeper that didn't at least match my 'best' outfield player over the course of a season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Caf posted:

Is there some hidden 'can't hit a penalty' trait? I signed a player with 16/16/15 (finishing/composure/penalties) and this dipshit is 0/4 through the first month of the season.

Pressure and Decisions are big finishing attributes in every situation. Determination indirectly for penalties, as it's an "I don't care what's happening" morale thing.

Decisions is honestly so important now that they should just remove it. We have more than a dozen different attributes for determining why and how a player might do something stupid, but they're all dominated by this blanket "are they stupid?" value.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The main purpose of Decisions is it's the attribute that gets tanked when someone plays out of position, isn't it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

The main purpose of Decisions is it's the attribute that gets tanked when someone plays out of position, isn't it?

The penalty is pretty minor unless their Versatility is poo poo.

Most of the mental attributes effect decisions a player makes. Do they engage when they should (Aggression)? Will they pull out if they might get hurt (Bravery)? Do they see the right pass (Vision) and if they do will they play it rather than going for personal glory (Teamwork)? Do they gently caress up more when under pressure (Composure) or when they have too much time to think (Concentration)? Try to do to much or play it too safe (Flair)? Big game bottler (Important Matches)? Struggles abroad (Adaptability)?

Having another layer of Decisions sucks. As a researcher I never really know what to put for most players, while they'll all have specific deficiencies I can savage.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I brought Finn Harps to EURO Cup quals after only a season. Made it through our first opponents, but lost hard to the next crew, a Swiss Super Lig side.

With the added cash to the coffers I made some big buys but we were never able to perform quite as well again. My youngsters never panned out due to poor training facilities and I wasted money on players my scouts swore were 4* at least, but who ended up being dunces who'd forget to breathe if I didn't tell them to.

So, eventually relegation loomed and I jumped ship to Shrewsbury in 2027, who were playing in League 2. They didn't have much money to play around with so I hung on to some draws playing extremely defensively. Then a £400k transfer offer came in for a center back who was planning on retiring. So I bought some of my better players from Finn Harps who were used to my system.

We went on two undefeated runs, one of 10 games and one of 11, lifting us into the playoffs. We won easy over Scunthorpe and played in front of God and everyone at Wembley (80k people is a lot!) against Leyton Orient. They erased our two goal lead and we stayed even through the extra time. It would be penalties.

My crew was dog-tired and I had already resigned myself to a loss. But Leyton's side was even more wiped and we eventually won out. Euphoria!

I even won League 2 manager of the year despite only being at the helm for about 7 months.

Love this game.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 20, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Two promotions in two years from League Two to the Championship, and smashing Rooney's Derby 5-0 in our second game including a hat trick from a player who's been with me the whole way up, and five other first season survivors on the pitch? Love this game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Do you have a sugar daddy or something because whenever I get promoted I end up selling and replacing my entire first team because they all want ridiculous contracts (and then sign elsewhere for half what they were demanding from me)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nope, just standard issue Forest Green Rovers in FM21. Sold Jake Young for £1.5M to West Brom after winning my second promotion which probably helps, and a few other smaller sales, and only signed players on frees so finances have been pretty safe. Nobody's on particularly big money though iirc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Well, we got promoted (2nd place) with the second-lowest budget in the Championship in our first season, three promotions on the trot. Keeper/captain damaged his spine in late December and I had no budget for fees or wages to get a replacement in until my pal Mikel Arteta let me take a youth teamer for £170/week who did admirably. I think we conceded about a quarter of all our goals for the season in the three or four games between those two events.

Expecting to get absolutely fisted in the PL, still got a couple of League Two veterans in and around the first XI (including my aforementioned keeper/captain who I would have replaced with Aaron Ramsdale if he didn't want more money than I can pay and decide he'd rather play in the Championship with Crystal Palace) so that should be *fun*

Dropped my 30M budget on a couple of wingers, a centre back and some assorted midfield prospects. Hoping my on-loan Arsenal striker does the business for the third season/league in a row and doesn't get injured ever because my front line options beyond him are a bad joke.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 30, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Quick question: Two of my players who have been with the club for three and a half seasons and playing regularly throughout are somehow still unfamiliar with either the formation or team mentality, both of which have been unchanged the entire time.

Are they just loving morons or what?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I started a new save in Ireland after my previous Waterford save. Cork because it's the second city so I'm hoping I can increase the match day crowd more than I could in smaller Waterford. I've been told some people have got them to a 15,000 seater stadium.

Cork start in the Irish First Division. I took them to an invincible season. Not a single friendly, league, FAI or League cup loss. I won the League cup half way through the season, which felt good. Quarter finals were the board expectation for the FAI cup, but in both cups I had an absolute blessed run. I only took on one Irish Premier Division team in each, and even in the FAI cup they were a mid-table LOI team, who I beat. My opposition finalists in the FAI cup were a mid-table first division team who parked the bus but we eventually broke them down. So in my first season I won the Irish First division and promotion, the Munster Senior Cup (mickey mouse cup,) the League of Ireland Cup (Carabao Cup equivalent,) and the FAI Cup which has me in the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Conference League without even being in the Irish Premier Division. I did this all with mostly the team I started with,.

I feel like I'm in trouble next year. Before promotion was guaranteed two of my best players were poached from me because I couldn't give them appropriate wages, and even then they signed for League of Ireland football for less than I offered them. I lost my best AMR, a guy who nearly outscored my starting striker, and also a D(RC) I didn't rate when I first looked at him, but he could play at centre back or full back and he allowed me a huge amount of versatility and cover during injuries/fatigue throughout the season. My wage budget has gone way up (almost four times what I had this year) but I don't have anyone lined up/scouted to bring in to really push us ahead. (My scouts are shite, my scouting range is shite, my coaches are shite, my rear end man is shite. We're a shite organisation that has a good fanbase, which is pretty much how it is in real life.)

The biggest problem going up is the amount of games we'll be playing. We have extra league games, the same amount of cup games, plus European games. The extra (minimum) six games wouldn't be a problem if they were spread out, but the season is piled up at certain times. The squad is in no way deep enough for this and my players will be shagged even without injuries (the problem I encountered with Waterford before I could build a proper double-squad to compete in Europe) especially with how we'll be expected to achieve more in the cups, with no improvement to our replacements. The other problem is that the wage budget we've been given is in no way realistic to survive with. Unless we have an amazing season and get European group stages within 18 months (Ireland is a summer league) the club will be bleeding money.

Now it's time for my off-season, and to prepare a team that can actually manage. Unless disaster happens we'll stay up, but I'm in a really strange position where I have shortages in positions and a worse team despite being in a better league, and I don't have to build towards European qualification because I got it from the first division, instead I actually have an opportunity in it. A really interesting save where my perfect start could be setting up long term issues, or stalling me a year or two.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Quick question: Two of my players who have been with the club for three and a half seasons and playing regularly throughout are somehow still unfamiliar with either the formation or team mentality, both of which have been unchanged the entire time.

Are they just loving morons or what?

Out of curiosity, are their individual trainings the same as the positions they play in? I've read before that training and playing positions not being in sync can affect familiarity. Don't know if that would make a difference with mentality, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Shroud posted:

Out of curiosity, are their individual trainings the same as the positions they play in? I've read before that training and playing positions not being in sync can affect familiarity. Don't know if that would make a difference with mentality, though.

Dunno lol I let my assman deal with all that boring poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shroud posted:

Yeah it's this.

Don't let the AI run your training, it is profoundly stupid at it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does the game even model city sizes when it comes to attendance?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Azhais posted:

Does the game even model city sizes when it comes to attendance?

I've checked in a third party editor, and cities have an entry, clubs are associated with a locale, and the city/locale has a population guide. However it turns out Cork is given the same population size as Waterford, despite Cork City being way bigger. I think they went on the "metropolitan" area, rather than all the satellite towns and that. Cork City the club does have a higher fan passion, though. So that's a thing as well that'll drive crowds. There's also minimum, average and maximum crowd sizes listed for any given season, and that can change.

I have no definite idea what affects crowd sizes, but at a guess it would be stuff like fan passion, competition performance, continental competition performance, league popularity/success, the nation's attitude to football and all that. It's definitely worth getting one of the free editors (there's two I think, and at least one lets you look at the hidden stuff in your save for free, it just costs money to be able to save changes.) You can poke around in the guts of the game and get a much better understanding of what's going on.

There's a reason a lot of the FM streamers play around with editors and even have teams of people setting up databases and specific situations for them. It allows them to have some better understanding of what's happening and to experiment with what changing certain parameters does. If you're bored of your save I'd say get an editor and start an experimental save where you play around with attributes (hidden and not) and other factors. You won't know exactly what's happening but it'll help your play long run.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

There's definitely some jank in building familiarity in players. The only surefire way to max it out on everyone is to be a terrible manager who never alters tactics or selections and trains players in bad attributes. Role choice for training *shouldn't* effect familiarity because they say it won't, but the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and sometimes they just outright lie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Role choice for training absolutely matters for tactical familiarity. It didn't used to but that came in with the training changes in I think FM20.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't have the game open, but some of the weekly training options include something like "individual role" training that improves tactical familiarity as well

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

I don't have the game open, but some of the weekly training options include something like "individual role" training that improves tactical familiarity as well

Individual Role training sessions are where a player does their individual position and focus work. If you have none of these sessions it doesn't matter what you pick for each player as they won't be doing it. It's why I always schedule at least one Goalkeeper session a week; it makes sure my outfield players are getting a bare minimum time to work on heir specifics.

Player tactical familiarity is a lot like positional familiarity in that it doesn't really matter. The worst that happens is they might moan and take a small morale hit every now and then. It doesn't have a noticeable effect on performance otherwise, and it's always better to play someone with the right attributes in a role that's good for the team/tactic, rather than having them do a job they're comfortable with that isn't so good for the team/tactic.

Overall team tactical familiarity does matter though, and that is influenced by individual familiarities. But you don't need to max it out to get the full effect, and doesn't require every player to be fully onboard. Never train a player in the role they're playing if you like the attribute spread of another role better.

You should also try to pick the roles with the smallest number of trained attributes to focus development. The training effect is so small to begin with that training a Complete Forward isn't going to do anything different than slapping "General - Outfield" in every box, but a Poacher might actually see improvement to their finishing by comparison (after a couple of years...)

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 6, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Aaron Collins is really, really not good enough to play in the Premier League (although he did get five goals in 8(19) last season) but he's sticking around for cheap depth across the front four and apparently to absolutely clown on u23 games.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Love having my U-23s manager yoink two players from my first team squad into an U23 game because they're 'unfit', leaving me without 11 fit players for a league game.
I moved them to the first team for a reason, you loving cretin.

[reloads]

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there anything that can be left to the AI in these bloody games? I'm a micro-managing twit so it wouldn't affect me, but AI management in this game seems to be universally as dumb as putting your socks in the toaster to warm them up on a cold day.

Edit: Fixed the worst possible typo that I could have made in this post.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
After winning promotion to the Irish Premier Division my season went as expected; I did not at all have the depth to truly excel. My goal was to make the European qualification spots, which I sort of did, but not really. I went on a good Conference League qualifiers run, all the way to the last qualifying round (but didn't make it to the group stages) but with having to rotate my squad I was doing rubbish in the league (rubbish in the sense I believe if you win the First Division legitimately then a top 4 in the Premier Division is possible.) Morale dropped, leading to more losses. I worked on getting a win or two and doing the praising training/form thing to bring the morale back up, and started doing a bit better. With three games left in the league I needed one win to finish in fourth and be guaranteed the Europe place but my team was absolutely shagged; multiple players in need of long rest; no-one finishing the game above the deep red stamina; few starting the next game which was always three days later with full stamina despite doing completely recovery sessions in training. I lost two and got one draw, and results didn't go my way, finishing fifth. I did however get to the FAI Cup final, and could steal the final qualifying place from the fourth place team if I won. I played the same team I lost to in the last game of the league but got the jammiest off-the post goal in the 88th minute to to win 1-0 and get me to Europe. Wahey, wahoo! We march on.

I've lost a few players I probably should have valued a bit more, but I feel like I've built depth this off season for a proper run at everything. I'll try and get a few loans in before the transfer window ends to increase this depth a bit more. This will be very necessary as after winning both domestic cups for the past two years my board now wants me to at least get into the final of both competitions. Hopefully they won't be too unhappy when that doesn't happen. And hopefully I get another good European run because otherwise my budget isn't sustainable.

I would like to know how to keep proper goalkeeping backup? I've found FM22, across all my saves, makes it very difficult to get good goalkeepers. Finding a good goalkeeper, then having a decent backup, and then a third "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" is even more difficult.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

Love having my U-23s manager yoink two players from my first team squad into an U23 game because they're 'unfit', leaving me without 11 fit players for a league game.
I moved them to the first team for a reason, you loving cretin.

[reloads]

You should turn off every "automatically..." option. The game is bad at itself. You should always be checking the reserves sides' lineup and formation every single game, because they will be doing something dumb every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Abolish the reserve team

Get good enough for the first team or go back on loan to Accrington Stanley Mr. Brazilian regen, your choice