Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I do appreciate that it's still possible to let your AssMan finalise European registration so that none of the 15 players you promised first team football to who didn't get registered will be angry with you.

Granted, he usually picks the absolute worst options in each position, but I'll cop to that being my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
A content creator, SiMaggio, has made a 20 minute video about 30 years in my Celtic Nations League database. The league where I have all the Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish and Irish teams in one system. I am absolutely thrilled with it. And Si is really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuLfYLWkHc

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

NutShellBill posted:

Funnier still is that there usually is no right answer.

"We're in for a fight next season; so get ready to put in the work."

<<WHAT? YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN US?!?">>

Hm.

"You know what, boys? I think we can stay up, next season."

<<WHAT?!? HOW **DARE** YOU PUT THE KIND OF PRESSURE ON US.>>

Hmmm...

"We might need to bring in some faces to compete next year, so be ready."

<<HOW. DARE.>>

fffff.....

"Let's curl up into a ball, and forfeit next season. Everyone still gets paid."

<<DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN US?>>

I honestly say as a little as possible at this point, and take the small hit for not making promises.

"OK fine, well, on an individual level, your form has been good."

"WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU. NO IT HASN'T."

"Oh, ok uhhh well I'm glad to know you have another level even you can reach."

"IM ANGRY AND I CANT LET THIS GO"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yell at people if they train badly, ignore your players otherwise. I used to also tell people I'm happy they got man of the match until one guy got it 5 games in a row and he decided the appropriate response was "gently caress you dad, I'm tired of hearing that"

Never speak to your players voluntarily

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It seems safe to praise a guy's game performance if he scored 2 goals and had a rating 8+ ("you were great in front of goal") or had 2 assists and a rating 8+ ("nice job creating chances"). But anything less than that risks making them pissy. And keepers almost never. Like only if they make 10+ saves and were man of the match.

Likewise it's generally safe to praise training performance if their training rating is over 7 and doing so once a month is a good way to raise your relationship with a new/young player fast.

None of that applies if a guy has a bad personality. In which case he shouldn't be on your team at all.

fakeedit: I'm pretty sure there's weirdness with praising the game performance of like a U23 player playing on the senior team, where the game thinks you're talking about his performance in the last U23 game

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i stopped talking to players after the time i congratulated a wonderkid on his first international cap and he got so mad he requested a transfer

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

jesus WEP posted:

i stopped talking to players after the time i congratulated a wonderkid on his first international cap and he got so mad he requested a transfer

You must've said it in a really sarcastic way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

• put arm round
  • pat on shoulder
  • handshake
  • make jerkoff motion

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I praise the 3 top performers in training each week (assuming they get more than an 8.0) and the last Friday of each month, I'll praise everyone who got an 8.0 or higher, including the players in the Youth squads.
And if a player gets less than 6.5 in training, I criticise him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't talked to anyone since my players thought I was stupid for slagging of Jose in the press in FM 08

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

i don't talk to anyone in the game or irl

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My FGR side are having a hell of a season. Second year in the Championship and tipped to finish dead last (again), we're eight games from the end of the season and all but guaranteed a play-off spot with a reasonable chance of snagging automatic promotion.

On top of that, we're off to Wembley to play Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final after absolutely shithousing Newcastle at their ground in the QF. Spent about an hour hanging onto a 1-0 lead, gave up a penalty in 90+3 and then Joe Willock decided to try to panenka it and our keeper just stood up and caught it easily. First penalty he's saved all season, last kick of the game, beautiful FM moment.

God I love this spreadsheet.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 29, 2024

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Playing in Norway is rough. None of the top top Norwegian players want to play in the domestic league, so they're off the table. You can only register 9 non-Norwegians, so you really have to get those guys right. The instant you have a 18-20 year old who breaks out, the big clubs come calling, and since you're in Norway, they just spam you with $7m offers for $25m players until they get unsettled and demand to leave.

Oh yeah, and since you play through the summer, other leagues' transfer window opens up in the literal back half of your season, meaning your best players leave with 10 games left in your regular season.

Best I've done is a couple of UCL quarterfinals. I got close last time, beat Spurs 1-0 away but lost 2-0 at home. I don't know if I'm good enough at this game to pull it off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Well, we squeaked promotion through the play-offs. Now time for my "only sign local-born* players" rule to really bite me in the rear end. £30M to spend for Premier League survival and very limited options... basically it's involved raiding Bristol City for anyone remotely decent and hoping that my rag-tag band of lower-league idiots can hold it together long enough for some kids to develop into competent PL-ballers.

*local being stretched to "anywhere I reckon I could drive to in about an hour" in this case. I might refine it further as I get a youth set-up worth a drat

e: lol and we lost our season opener 1-0 to Liverpool thanks to an own goal from our captain. It's going to be a long season.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 31, 2024

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IMB posted:

You can only register 9 non-Norwegians, so you really have to get those guys right.

Fire up the scout network and build your own home grown players, or just juggle squad registration when you want to bring in non-HG backups, it's free registration all season iirc.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

IMB posted:

Playing in Norway is rough. None of the top top Norwegian players want to play in the domestic league, so they're off the table. You can only register 9 non-Norwegians, so you really have to get those guys right. The instant you have a 18-20 year old who breaks out, the big clubs come calling, and since you're in Norway, they just spam you with $7m offers for $25m players until they get unsettled and demand to leave.

Oh yeah, and since you play through the summer, other leagues' transfer window opens up in the literal back half of your season, meaning your best players leave with 10 games left in your regular season.

Best I've done is a couple of UCL quarterfinals. I got close last time, beat Spurs 1-0 away but lost 2-0 at home. I don't know if I'm good enough at this game to pull it off.

At some point, my masochism complex is going to send me back to Finland, to find out if SI have finally fixed the awful fixture or winter break scheduling issues that have been in the game since as long as I can remember.
But not yet.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Talking of Scandinavia, some 27 year old has been hired to manage a 4th division Icelandic team base on his FM resume. https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming/football-manager-gaming-iceland-football-262214-20240211 Claims he's spent 12% of his entire life playing FM.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, cool, but at that level it's basically volunteering.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Pipski posted:

Talking of Scandinavia, some 27 year old has been hired to manage a 4th division Icelandic team base on his FM resume. https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming/football-manager-gaming-iceland-football-262214-20240211 Claims he's spent 12% of his entire life playing FM.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pipski posted:

That's not quite right, he was hired because he's a retired footballer who took over a 5th tier amateur side and did well, the FM stuff is just a sideshow.

Also Iceland isn't Scandinavia :argh:

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Has anybody seen the thing about a very specific offer for a player being accepted every time no matter what?

You can even add in a Selling Team Wage Contribution

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd heard about it.
Might as well just use the in-game editor, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just made the jump to FM24 after a billion hours of FM21. Holy hell is FM24 crashy. I can count on one hand the abrupt-crash-to-desktop experiences I had with FM18 or FM21. It happens all the time in FM24. Never (yet) mid-match, always when I hit continue out of match. Is this your experience or just mine?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I've only got about 40 hours in FM24 but haven't had a single crash. :iiam:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haven’t had any crashes but holy poo poo i think they’ve managed to make the problem of columns randomly resizing worse. also the weird piss filter on matches played in sunny weather is so bad lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

haven’t had any crashes but holy poo poo i think they’ve managed to make the problem of columns randomly resizing worse. also the weird piss filter on matches played in sunny weather is so bad lmao

I actually thought something was wrong with my monitor, it's hideous.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does the secondary column sort work for anyone? It's never worked for me.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I was managing a team in the 2. Bundesliga in FM23 and Australia approached me and I figured why not. They're hosting the upcoming 2034 World Cup so they automatically qualified, but FM put them in a qualifying group anyway and decided they didn't qualify out of the group before any of the matches started. I play and win all the qualifying group games and once the group is over I get sacked for not qualifying. Great job FM.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

I know the squad was underperforming but I don't think they were that bad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Of all the many Ancient Traditions of Football Manager, the one that pisses me off the most is Your Star Player Does His Knee The First Match After The Window Closes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Of all the many Ancient Traditions of Football Manager, the one that pisses me off the most is Your Star Player Does His Knee The First Match After The Window Closes

Or the variant phenomenon of Your Best Player Gets Ruled Out For Six Months In A Pre-Season Friendly And You Have No Wage Budget Left

First season in a new league is... interesting when your entire bench is two out-of-contract players who you can't afford to renew and three 15-year old academy kids. We somehow managed to pick up the previous season's top scorer (the extremely Ukrainian-sounding Pedro Benito) on a free, but he's broken too after scoring four goals in the first three games. It's going to be a long season.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I logged back into my FM save last night, after a few months break. Cork City moved to England and in the Championship. I have no idea who any of my players are. I have no idea what my various tactics are. I have no idea which tactic I use in which circumstance. I have very little idea of my finances. I have no idea what positions I need to be upgrading. I have no idea what I've done with my scouting setup.

What I do know is Miles is gonna "It's your tactics, mate" the new big FM upgrade this November, so I probably have about 18 months to figure it it out. Assuming I don't go all in on whatever new Farm Sim is coming.

Edit: I played one game and won 3-0. Away from home against Rochester.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 14, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's always perversely enjoyable to interview with PSG and have them go "Is a transfer budget of €360M and a wage budget of €9.5M/week sufficient" and say "no way are you mad I would need way more than that"

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Got my Celtic Nations League database up on the Steam Workshop. It's for the Feb/March Main Data Update so it works with the latest transfers. Lots of details on the Steam page. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3193385627

And in my Cork City > English System save I've gotten City into the Premiership after four years in the Championship. Started in the Bananarama South. My wage budget for next year is £450k.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Been itching to get back into the game since the data update and I think I'm gonna give your league a try, thanks Mrenda :)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

apophenium posted:

Been itching to get back into the game since the data update and I think I'm gonna give your league a try, thanks Mrenda :)

Please post updates on how it's going, as well as bugs. I'll get them fixed up for new dowloads so they're appreciated if you do find them. And updates will help me balance it better/change things should I do it again next year with the new FM, assuming they won't have messed with the underlying DB systems too much. Dunno about getting the women's game into it though, or if they'll even have the leagues setup for the Celtic Leagues. Although that could be fun if some country was missing.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, my "MLS that doesn't suck" mod is kludgey as hell. I just went a clean American League, but I had to do so many kludges (you had to choose Canada's start date because USA didn't show up without messing with Advanced rules, etcetera)

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
God dammit, I finally got my Norwegian team to the UCL finals (past prem leading Arsenal, Real Madrid somehow and Villareal in the semis) only to get cock blocked by Man City in the finals. Just couldn't figure out how to break down their defense. We actually played well, lost xG 1.2-0.8, had 48 percent possession. Thought we had an equalizer in the 89th minute but it was ruled offsides.

The guy who scored for Man City was a regen winger they bought for $291 million from PSG. Tough to compete with that, that's like 7 years of my squad's entire salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
So my Celtic Nations League database is going well. Attracting a decent level of Steam weirdo.