Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

We're currently spending less than 10 million pa on wages and our transfer budget is only above 10 million because we're playing Champions League, but sure. I'm certain we'll be able to sign Sidibé from Monaco soon enough, possibly even before he's 40.

Other things my scouts enjoy include recommending random players that earn roughly half my wage budget playing in China or telling me that some kid earning a million playing for Man City's reserves could probably become a decent player for us eventually, maybe.

I should probably take control of scouting assignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
See also your chief scout saying "I think we should take a closer look at this player" and attaching a report to a guy you sold six months ago.

That's my second favorite time honored FM tradition that's still going strong, right behind every random player turning into prime Pelé anytime he's playing against any club whose kit he has ever worn, even if it was just a loan spell 8 years ago.

IT'S HAPPENED JUST AS EVERYONE EXPECTED IT TO

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

I should probably take control of scouting assignments.

Even if you do they still bring you recommendations from their knowledge base, plus agents pimping out their clients.

I quite like it like that tbh. My assignments never turn up many players because I get too specific and my scouts suck. Among the trash you occasionally find Mr Right, or at least Mr Right Now ahead of transfer deadline day.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sassassin posted:

Even if you do they still bring you recommendations from their knowledge base, plus agents pimping out their clients.

I quite like it like that tbh. My assignments never turn up many players because I get too specific and my scouts suck. Among the trash you occasionally find Mr Right, or at least Mr Right Now ahead of transfer deadline day.
I like it when you ask a new hire for player recommendations and three days later it's "Here are thirteen players, none of whom have any interest whatsoever in joining your squad."

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

man, a year into a stint and i completely forgot about mentoring, but when i went to have the assistant assign to get a rough idea of groups since i still don't 100% have a grasp on it, the option is just grayed out

is that a result of my situation or is there something bugged with it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

man, a year into a stint and i completely forgot about mentoring, but when i went to have the assistant assign to get a rough idea of groups since i still don't 100% have a grasp on it, the option is just grayed out

Did your assistant quit?

Mentoring isn't as important or powerful as the old system. I usually only have a couple of groups of 3 going at any time. If you have an older player with good squad status (impact from group none/light, impact on group average/significant) and an especially good mentality pair him with two kids (impact from group average/significant, impact on group none/light) who don't and forget about it. Beware of players teaching each other bad PPMs. If they play similar positions supposedly it works better. Ignore all assistant recommendations for which players to put where, they don't know what they're trying to do.

Most of the fluctuations you see in mentalities will be the result of overall team influence rather than the mentoring. Improving the whole group gradually via transfers is the important part, not the buddy system.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sassassin posted:

Did your assistant quit?

Mentoring isn't as important or powerful as the old system. I usually only have a couple of groups of 3 going at any time. If you have an older player with good squad status (impact from group none/light, impact on group average/significant) and an especially good mentality pair him with two kids (impact from group average/significant, impact on group none/light) who don't and forget about it. Beware of players teaching each other bad PPMs. If they play similar positions supposedly it works better. Ignore all assistant recommendations for which players to put where, they don't know what they're trying to do.

Most of the fluctuations you see in mentalities will be the result of overall team influence rather than the mentoring. Improving the whole group gradually via transfers is the important part, not the buddy system.

nah, he's still there

and yeah i know it's not as important, which is why i went a whole year without even checking it, but have a few younger players getting into, or close to, the first team so usually i have the assistant do it and i'll tweak it a bit so it was weird

just went to actually check and hovering over it "there are no recommendations" which is a new one for me

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Despite our fruitful relationship, I am not always convinced my board truly respects me.

sassassin posted:

Yeah, that screenshot I posted had nothing to do with scouting assignments, that was a newly hired scout I asked for a recommendation. He chose to recommend bankruptcy.

But I generally don't need scouts to recommend me, for example, Premier League players because I can't afford their wages. A lot of my signings aren't from scoutable leagues anyway, but I could assign scouts to South Africa, Argentina, Croatia etc. which would probably be more useful.

Not that I've done it yet, considering it's :effort: and I have so many scouts now that I get good recommendations anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do you need 5 coaches for the under 19s anyway?

Iceland's a decent country to scout for players on low wages. Surprising amount of talent in their domestic league.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sassassin posted:

Why do you need 5 coaches for the under 19s anyway?

It lightens the coaching load. I remember one board gave me more youth coaches than first team.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't think I need an extra youth coach but my captain is retiring and will need a job soon. And he is a decent coach, just not good enough to be a first team coach at the moment.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

The new update said there were certain assignments/responsibilites that weren't available to people. I had something like that turn up so I'm hoping it's fixed now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't think I need an extra youth coach but my captain is retiring and will need a job soon. And he is a decent coach, just not good enough to be a first team coach at the moment.

Jobs for the boys...

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagine not choosing your entire backroom staff solely by using 'favourite team = your team' as your search criteria

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

After about 5 years you can upgrade to “favourite personnel = you”

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, once I'm ~15 seasons into a save, I'll often look at staff members the game reckons I have a good relationship with when I need to fill a backroom position.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

the sex ghost posted:

Imagine not choosing your entire backroom staff solely by using 'favourite team = your team' as your search criteria

Sign players with the same criteria for maximum "plays for the shirt" PASHUN

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013
Did the new patch break the match engine yet?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

sassassin posted:

Jobs for the boys...
Wout isn't just any boy, he's a very good boy.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not that it matters for a single club save like the one I'm doing right now, but I do like to build up a personal retinue of staff members that follows me from club to club over time.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Roy Gato III posted:

Did the new patch break the match engine yet?

I’ve only played a few matches with it, but it seems much better than pre-patch.

It’s probably the most “realistic” I’ve ever seen the match engine, but I hadn’t played since...FM 13? so maybe there have been better iterations since.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's not enough changes to make it much better or worse. Some alarmingly FM20 moments creeping back into play, though.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Mrenda posted:

The new update said there were certain assignments/responsibilites that weren't available to people. I had something like that turn up so I'm hoping it's fixed now.

i think the issue was the squad i got was a bit on the older side, so not any useful groups to be made, it's fixed now that i got a full year + transfer windows to scout and find some younger players

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
What triggers the possibility of naming a stadium after you? I'm at Club Legend, level 100/100 according to the ingame editor, bu still no tick on the Can Name Stadium

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It’s virtually impossible. It might happen if you win like 10 league and 10 CL titles, but it might not.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
If I let my u18/u23 managers take care of individuals’ training, and set those teams to play with first team tactics, will players get retrained so they’re optimised for the role they need to play, or is that something that’s only set manually? It’d be annoying to spend the time bringing academy players through if I have to retrain them if I want to get the best out of them in the system I want to play

Like, if my first team always plays with a pressing forward as a lone striker, I’d expect every striker to come through the academy to be groomed to have at least some competency in that role.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 26, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Answers Me posted:

If I let my u18/u23 managers take care of individuals’ training, and set those teams to play with first team tactics, will players get retrained so they’re optimised for the role they need to play, or is that something that’s only set manually? It’d be annoying to spend the time bringing academy players through if I have to retrain them if I want to get the best out of them in the system I want to play

Like, if my first team always plays with a pressing forward as a lone striker, I’d expect every striker to come through the system to be groomed to have at least some competency in that role.

They'll learn new positions by playing there. Make sure you set it to always ask which first team players you'll lend them for games so you can tweak their selections to suit what you want in the prematch inbox item.

If you want optimisation of attribute growth you'll want them in your first team setup under your care. The ai is bad at training, individual or otherwise. But in practice getting a year of dodgy routines in a less desirable role isn't going to make much visible or meaningful difference to a player's profile, or performances when you eventually promote them. Just sign young players that will make good pressing forwards in the future if that's your strange kink.

Role competency - despite being a bar on the familiarity screen now - isn't an important thing. As long as they can play in that position, and have the right attributes, and know the system (tempo, width etc.), they're as ready as you need them to be.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can someone please tell SI that the McDonalds FA Community Shield doesn't count as a trophy so that I dont get triggered when Liverpool celebrate their fourth consecutive treble which doesn't include the European or FA Cups, thanks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I liked when winning the ~UEFA Super Cup~ pushed me to Club Legend status

e: I think one year there was a news item about my team winning an INCREDIBLE SEXTUPLE when they won, if I recall, the Community Shield, the EFL Cup, the Club World Cup or whatever the hell that silly mini-tournament in Fuckoffistan in December that I just send my U23 side to is called, the League Cup, the U23 league title, and then the PL title

e2: I mean SI clearly knows poo poo like the Club World Cup is unimportant because your first team players don't care when you don't register or play them in it, but it still boosts your rep and the ingame media count it toward trebles which is silly as hell.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 27, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sassassin you probably know this - I've been playing a lot over the last few days and I've noticed that VAR reviews for penalties are fairly 50/50, but I don't think I've ever seen an offside review that didn't overturn the goal. Is this, well, hardcoded?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EvilHawk posted:

sassassin you probably know this - I've been playing a lot over the last few days and I've noticed that VAR reviews for penalties are fairly 50/50, but I don't think I've ever seen an offside review that didn't overturn the goal. Is this, well, hardcoded?

Not sure, I've not played in a league with VAR this year. The less VAR interruption the better though imho, so they may well be limiting it to only come in when it's going to rule out the goal. Are all the VAR checks narrow photo finish ones or do you get some clear offsides going through the procedure as well?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
VAR for penalties/free kicks can go either way, which is nice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sassassin posted:

Not sure, I've not played in a league with VAR this year. The less VAR interruption the better though imho, so they may well be limiting it to only come in when it's going to rule out the goal. Are all the VAR checks narrow photo finish ones or do you get some clear offsides going through the procedure as well?

If I'm honest I've never actually checked the offsides haha, I've just seen them so often I assume it was off.

But christ, VAR interruptions happen 4/5 times a game. I played Southampton last night and there were 3 VAR penalty decisions (2 given, 1 disallowed, 1 missed).

edit: lmao very next game just had Firmino (circled) ruled out for offside after the keeper saved it and he put in the rebound

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 28, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Left foot clearly in an offside position through the defender's legs.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

sassassin posted:

Left foot clearly in an offside position through the defender's legs.

Left leg is clearly in an offside position by clipping through the defender’s body.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

got the game for christmas and it seems good.

got promoted with middlesbrough with an insanely poo poo squad so i've still got the magic.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/HipsterManager/status/1344693192122372096?s=19

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The kid from my u18s who was looking like the second coming of Henry just did his ligaments in a pre season friendly and is out for 7 months :cry:

Just signed Ronaldo on a one-year deal, though, so that'll keep his space in the squad warm

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm doing a Let's Play managing Tunbridge Wells in the 9th(?) tier of the English pyramid in the Let's Play forum. So far it's mostly been making sense of the financial mess... Two players earning 90% of the wage budget? Only in the lower leagues. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954715

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Nothing like getting promoted to Serie A and your entire first team coming up one by one with concerns about their contracts. Lads can you just staple all your requests for more money together and slide them under the door at once to save me clicking through 100 screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's extra funny because after promotion I was going to jettison and replace two-thirds of them anyway