Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If some of them have wage rise on promotion clauses in their contracts sometimes you can save money by giving in to an opportunistic agent's demands right away. In my last save Stig Inge Bjornebye's son cost himself at least £200/week he was going to be entitled to because his agent was waiting in my office the morning after I won the title.

The agent made out with a couple of grand, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Exactly like real life, then

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished my tenth season at Wrexham and did a little imgur gallery of my key achievements and newgen

https://imgur.com/a/MOfVkwE

Getting the mod to add reynolds and mcelhenney made early progression easy, together with some smart loans, but it hasn't helped much since. Like, having state of the art facilities from youth has given me 1 premier league quality player (~150 PA) in 10 years.

Next season I might try to gently caress around with my tactics and see if I can finally get a premier league win. Will probably keep plugging away at this a few more seasons to see if one of my kids spawns, or I get my name on a stadium or something.

EDIT:
Competition winners for the main leagues are all very unsurprising.
- 2 wins for liverpool, 2 for city, 1 for chelsea, 5 for united
- 3 for atleti, 3 for real, 4 for barcelona
- 7 for "zebre", 2 for inter, 1 for lazio
- 10 for bayern (lol)
- 9 for psg, 1 for lyon
- 6 for benfica, 4 for porto

belgium / germany won the world cups, croatia/switzerland/spain won the euros

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 12, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Speaking of Wrexham, there is a long LP of an older version of FM (14, I think) on the archives. After getting sacked from another 2nd division team, the LPer was hired by Wrexham.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

KoldPT posted:

Just finished my tenth season at Wrexham and did a little imgur gallery of my key achievements and newgen

belgium / germany won the world cups, croatia/switzerland/spain won the euros

congratulations but also, switzerland won the euros? holy poo poo.

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of Wrexham, there is a long LP of an older version of FM (14, I think) on the archives. After getting sacked from another 2nd division team, the LPer was hired by Wrexham.

he's doing a new one now I think but the wrexham one will forever be legendary.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The "new" one was from FM18 and is long dead :rip:

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Is there any interest in doing another FC Parmos hotseat save?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The "new" one was from FM18 and is long dead :rip:

Sadly, yes. Still, long live the Dragons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The high point of the LP was when he abruptly lost his world class striker (alas, the Bastard of Wrexham) because he accidentally gave him a £0 minimum fee release clause instead of a £0 relegation release clause but the dumb AI bid his full value anyway

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The high point of the LP was when he abruptly lost his world class striker (alas, the Bastard of Wrexham) because he accidentally gave him a £0 minimum fee release clause instead of a £0 relegation release clause but the dumb AI bid his full value anyway

I remember that. I forget the in-game name of "The Bastard", but I do remember that he managed to immediately replace him with a Brazilian/Italian guy named Thiago who was just as good, or very nearly, and cheaper.

Seriously, the new guy had a 40-goal season the next year. Bloody marvelous.

Fake Edit: Just remembered the name of "The Bastard" as I was typing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Looks like this years ME oddity is your players running the ball out of play when they have a runways worth of space to control it in.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
Incredibly disappointed to win the last game of the season 3-2 by scoring goals at 90+2 and 90+4 only to find that there is no gesture to run around the room screaming and giving out high-fives (or anything to show excitement at all).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Caf posted:

Incredibly disappointed to win the last game of the season 3-2 by scoring goals at 90+2 and 90+4 only to find that there is no gesture to run around the room screaming and giving out high-fives (or anything to show excitement at all).

*waves arms frantically*

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
If It guys did not know it, there is the NewGan tool that generates “real” AU faces:

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/

This was my biggest game changer since I play fm because I always get annoyed by the stupid and bland 3D-Sims-Heads of new generated players.
It’s such an immersion breaker for me that I started new careers every 7-10 years because the pool of players with real phots, even with all the facepacks/mods, is empty after a decade. Fati is 27 then but the other 25 guys in his team have the horrible 3D plastic heads.

The NewGan tool generates me several thousand newgen pictures of 15 and 16 year olds every season within seconds, and a 5950x that is. Usually the calculation and generating new faces requires 10 or 20 seconds after the initial setup.

It’s loving amazing and highly recommended.

So instead of this 15 year old newgen youth player profile pic

you get this type of AI generated photo of a youth player:

https://github.com/Maradonna90/NewGAN-Manager/wiki/FAQ

This mod even acknowledged ethnicity, that’s the icing on the cake.
It completely alters my experience of long time saves.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 3, 2021

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
And I just this changed stupid poo poo

to this:

2 fresh new AI generated faces.

I feel that’s way more “realistic”, I can “relate” better to unknown and new players with photos instead of that boring 3D Sims Heads or blank/black placeholders.

Might be just me tho, at least wanted to share this tool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are like 35,000 faces in the pack and they all look kinda creepily alike after a while. Still a big improvement over the late-90s quality doughfaces though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Yeah, it’s still „limited“ and generic within that AI algorithm and pattern, but you usually need only the players in your league(s) and can narrow it down.

I prefer a white Caucasian generic AI 16 year old „photo“ to the awful plastic Sims heads.

Hopefully SI one day implements that tool or function for all generated players because it adds way more immersion, at least imho.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh and the FIFA 21 Icons Workshop mod is hilarious:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2369671987

The AI needs some weeks or even several months to „find“ the legends, and the top Clubs fight for their contracts,
All legends are free agents and 25/26 years old they are all between 180 and 199 CA and PA.

In my current save Bayern is dominating with Schweinsteiger and Figo that let Lewandowski explode.

Financial Fair Play funnily prevents the AI from signing and trading 100 legends because the Icons reputations (many are up to Messi and CR7 ranges around 9500-9800) and ambitions limit the possible Clubs that could sign them to like 10-20.

Maradona won’t sign for Schalke or Leeds or even Boca Juniors.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are like 35,000 faces in the pack and they all look kinda creepily alike after a while. Still a big improvement over the late-90s quality doughfaces though.
It's totally asinine that SI hasn't really made an attempt to improve the Newgen faces in years - still roughly the same quality as they were when they imported the FaceGen modeling from OOTP when it was under the Sega banner - but at the same time they don't have to since they know the userbase will just do it for them free of charge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vast majority of players don't touch facepacks or anything like that.

Regen faces change practically every year but making them amazing isn't going to attract many new sales. Even these "not a real person" faces probably aren't something that can actually be bundled with the game, it's not generating anything it's a folder of thousands of prerendered images that is larger than the rest of the game combined.

There's still a disgusting amount of people who play matches on 2d (which is now a clumsy skin on top of the 3d match engine, made to look like the old ones). Graphics aren't a priority for most of the audience.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Yep, can’t argue with that, I guess many won’t bother as it’s a manager game.
Still the facepack files have a huge demand every release, it’s an absolutely subjective POV if you feel it’s an important part of your immersion.
The sims plastic heads in my match engine and teamoverview etc. really killed my immersion ever other career save and I felt “disconnected”

The “photos” are a crucial party of my squad players and identity, and I understand if you don’t care about player photos.
That’s the beauty of the optional files here.

I even installed the “metal” logos and 30+ Gigabyte stadiums and city background skins/pack, it’s a a layer beyond match results , stats and squad building, at least for me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure zealand said there were about 200k faces. I did link the zgens back when they were announced, I find em pretty cool, and it's nice to see most of the youtubers using em now.

I still hope they change the manager to have features like genie or fmrte so it can just connect to the running game and find all the regens rather than needing the editor or fancy searches/exports to identify what needs new faces

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In researcher news the online system we now have for the database is pretty fun, I was messaging guys in Italy and the US on deadline day to get my players moved over rather than emailing the EFL head and having him do all the work, as it used to be done when I first started.

Researcher forums have always been an absolute ghost town, and foreign teams tended to have their own separate enclaves, so it's nice to be able to directly comment on a player and bully the Newport researcher into upgrading someone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Yep, can’t argue with that, I guess many won’t bother as it’s a manager game.
Still the facepack files have a huge demand every release, it’s an absolutely subjective POV if you feel it’s an important part of your immersion.
The sims plastic heads in my match engine and teamoverview etc. really killed my immersion ever other career save and I felt “disconnected”

The “photos” are a crucial party of my squad players and identity, and I understand if you don’t care about player photos.
That’s the beauty of the optional files here.

I even installed the “metal” logos and 30+ Gigabyte stadiums and city background skins/pack, it’s a a layer beyond match results , stats and squad building, at least for me.

I hear you, for years I've been copy/pasting random real photos into a folder and editing a config.xml file to give the players on my team and stars on other teams real pictures instead of Oblivion potatofaces.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Does installing these ai faces require running a downloaded executable? That would make it less appealing to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, there's an application that matches your regens nationalities and such with an appropriate face and then generates the xml that fm needs to show said faces.

Technically nothing would stop you from doing it manually, other then making a 5 minute task take hours

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Azhais posted:

Yeah, there's an application that matches your regens nationalities and such with an appropriate face and then generates the xml that fm needs to show said faces.

Technically nothing would stop you from doing it manually, other then making a 5 minute task take hours

Just trying to avoid running random *.exes, but I can see why it would be appealing.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Mandalay posted:

Just trying to avoid running random *.exes, but I can see why it would be appealing.

it's not random, guy behind it is a good dude if a bit ZaNy, but i've used it no issues

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is ground sharing a thing in FM21? I don't want to have to immediately build a new stadium once I get to the top flight because my expansion capacity is less than the required capacity and then go into administration. Last time I played in FM18 I don't think I could ground share.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a thing, but I've only seen it happen while waiting for a stadium to be built

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Azhais posted:

It's a thing, but I've only seen it happen while waiting for a stadium to be built

That sucks, is there anyway to at least have money left over to actually spend on players/staff or at least not go into administration once I build the new stadium? If worst comes to worst I'll just modify the expansion capacity to 13-15K in the editor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dreamsicle posted:

That sucks, is there anyway to at least have money left over to actually spend on players/staff or at least not go into administration once I build the new stadium? If worst comes to worst I'll just modify the expansion capacity to 13-15K in the editor.

You should ground share, yes. I've not seen it happen but was told it's implemented when I asked about it (think I was weighing up a save in Denmark and the second tier club's stadium didn't have enough seating for the top flight). How devastating it will be to your short or long-term finances idk, but I don't think you'll be forced to commit to building one the day you're promoted.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
How do you guys deal with interviews ?
Pre-match press conference
Post-match press conference
Final whistle interviews after the game ends
Transfer press conference
Transfer media phone calls
Transfer window calls
Etc...

It feels like a chore after some point and really feels repetitive as I always spam click the right positive answer box. Is there any disadvantage just delegating everything to your co-trainer?

And how do you manage the unhappy players that demand more playtime?
I signed a new job and feel I am forced to a system and have to be committed to players I plan to sell anyway, but holy poo poo, some careers are just a pain as I have whining players every 2 weeks about the playtime, contracts and ambitions.
In a worst case they are influential players and you have to face other teammates because they are unhappy as player A and B are unhappy.

Ignoring them or benching them hurts the morale nonstop and they have a red thumbs down over months.
It’s annoying.

The amount of divas and omnipresent team dynamics with their emotions feels “forced” at some points.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The team talks do stuff, depends how important you feel those things are. Your assman will 100% at some point talk about how your star player is up for sale and piss him off, so there's always that. If that's a risk you're willing to take, delegate all the talks.

Given that the press conferences are basically team talks given to both teams, I always do them manually. They're repetitive and tedious but you end up able to blast through them in seconds cause its the same poo poo you've answered before and know the right things to click. It really seems to help with complacency if you choose options that don't give your team an excuse to slack off, whereas your assman will definitely say that your #1 team playing the #30 team is gonna be a cakewalk and result in you losing 0-4 at home as none of your players are motivated and all of theirs are out for blood. :shrug:

People wanting more playtime get more playtime if I care about them, they get transferred or loaned if not. I mostly solve this by aggressively telling everyone they're squad players unless I'm absolutely sure they're going to be a star for the duration of their contract.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

How do you guys deal with interviews ?

I mostly let the rear end man handle them but will do it myself for a few important fixtures each year, or when certain other managers I want to make sure to poo poo talk are involved.[/quote]

Mr.PayDay posted:

And how do you manage the unhappy players that demand more playtime?

Sell 'em. If/when other players bitch about me selling 'em, sell them too. Best way to have a happy squad is to sell everyone that isn't happy with my benevolent dictatorship.

They're usually old and overpaid anyway and usually I'm only too happy to replace them with younger, cheaper players. When I take over a team it's rare for more than like 3 players that I inherited to still be there when the next window closes.

Doing that and surviving (i.e. not getting sacked before your entirely new team gets its match cohesion up) is not as easy as it used to be, but gently caress pandering to overpaid divas.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Thanks for the advices, appreciated.

Is there anything useful to do with your monthly salary as a coach or is it just a number after all?
I miss the old EA Football Manager economic, lifestlye and infrastructure options where you could enable stuff like merchandising, buying your wife gifts, train for marathons, care about fan clubs and supporter groups and meet them, expand your stadium and even individually build it. You could even buy shares of other clubs.
Some things were nice and added immersion, some were stupid, but you could deactivate stuff.
One option even allows investing in your club with your private money.

I wish FM21 was not “only” about coaching only but even owing a club and at least having some stadium, merchandising and youth academy and expansion etc stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
afaik salary is just a number, but the bigger it is the more it costs to fire you so its kind of a safety net.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Azhais posted:

afaik salary is just a number, but the bigger it is the more it costs to fire you so its kind of a safety net.

I guess that’s important for beeing bought out from bigger Clubs as a coach, too? So not going all in with salaries makes it cheaper to hire you as well, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr.PayDay posted:

I guess that’s important for beeing bought out from bigger Clubs as a coach, too? So not going all in with salaries makes it cheaper to hire you as well, right?

yeah, lowers compensation needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
What's a good site for skins?