Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I can’t make my players stop being a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs. We’ve just set the record for worst discipline record in premier league history and it’s only January 8th

You know "Tackle Harder" can be removed from instructions, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I can’t make my players stop being a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs. We’ve just set the record for worst discipline record in premier league history and it’s only January 8th

It was a perfectly viable tactic in Nintendo World Cup

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I do wish I could be more specific with the instructions. I don’t really mind the 10000 yellow cards, even the occasional double yellow sending off. I’ll juggle the cumulative card suspensions

But getting a straight red for a blatant bad tackle 15 minutes into the game is gonna get your rear end busted back to the U21s.

You know the tackles I mean, where you know he’s going off before the ref even stops play

I did discover that “I can’t believe you got sent off so early, you absolute moron, what the gently caress” is one of the individual halftime talk options

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Azhais posted:

It was a perfectly viable tactic in Nintendo World Cup

If it's good enough for Kunio-kun...

To avoid cards, I've found aggression to be the key stat, along with tactics of whether or not you're going in hard, and staying on your feet. Guys with 14+ aggression are just going to pick up cards. You'll never feel cheated on the effort, though. Maybe the result, but not the effort.

Staying on your feet, as a tactic, has the the added advantage of guys not missing hilariously with errant tackles. Nothing quite like the feeling of the first minute ejection for a double footed tackle that missed by 4-5 feet.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 20, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, if you want it to rain red cards then high Aggression + low Tackling + Tackle Harder instruction is the recipe. High Dirtiness also helps, of course.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think I've got my Celtic Leagues database working. All the teams from the playable leagues in Ireland, Norn Ireland, Scotland and Wales are now under one FA, a total of 141 teams. I set the database up the first time and put a spread of teams from each nation in each division, weighted towards the higher rep teams being placed better, with Scotland naturally on top, but still with a spread from the nations. Then I ran it for a few years, a few times over, and looked at the results and re-ordered the teams based on that. In the new databse, after five years, there's only two non-Scottish teams in the top league (of 16 teams) and Celtic has won it five times in a row.

I've got a classic FA cup between every team. A cup with all the Irish teams in it, and a cup with all the Welsh and Scottish teams in it, then the two winners of those cups play a season opener against each other in the next season (this was an absolute pain to figure out in the pre-game editor as I wanted it to take place at the end of the season but I couldn't get FM to take winners from the finals a month beforehand, only from the previous season.) There's also a lower league cup and a Youth FA cup.

All the teams in the databse have an u19 team that plays in a competitive league, and gets money for it, and the top three leagues have a reserve team. I tried figuring out a way where if you ask your board for a reserve team in a league below that then it automatically puts you in a competition, but I don't think the money is there for the lower league teams to have reserves beyond an u19.

Speaking of money, there's about €210m in the entire league system, maybe a little less. This is somewhat comparable to Portugal, but I gave a bit little extra because this is supposed to be an English language rival for the Premiership. One thing I tried to do was spread the money out across the divisions, so it's not about going broke in an effort to make it to the top division. There's definite jumps in wage levels between leagues but most teams have managed to stay quite financially sound.

I think it's ready to play now. I've basically spent all week either setting it up in the pre-game editor, or running FM for hours as a test. Let's see what I can do with a save!

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Perhaps I’m just an idiot but it feels kind of arbitrary when your team suddenly starts performing badly just as you’re about to win the league.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pantsuit posted:

Perhaps I’m just an idiot but it feels kind of arbitrary when your team suddenly starts performing badly just as you’re about to win the league.

Sorry to hear about your team of mentally weak bottle merchants

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Sorry to hear about your team of mentally weak bottle merchants

I did install an England lower league pack and started unemployed. Got the job at Hyde United (level below national north/south) so it could be weak mentality. Feels very gamey, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Probably just your assman saying how awesome you are in the press conferences

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Did anyone say it's your tactics mate yet

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
It's your squad dynamics, mate

Edit: Speaking of which. I had a top top quality newgen come through. Just off being a wonderkid. Attributes at 18 to be starting for an average Championship squad. He just would not play well and I know it's because he didn't fit into any social group in the squad. Big Billy no mates, or toe sucker or something. There needs to be a, "FFS, take the lad out for a burger, will you?" button for your squad leaders.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tony Mowbray, age 86, is still working as a scout for Port Vale.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've been watching a long-running LP of Out of the Park baseball, FM's little sister, and the owner of the LPers team is a cheapskate (the game tells you the owner's personality) that no-one likes. To put things into context, the LPer over two seasons made over 100 million in profit and came two games from winning the world series with a budget in the bottom quintile of the league, and the owner only raised the team's budget by 20 million over those same two years. The owner just died, age 86, and we were glad... until his son took over the team, who is just as much of a cheapskate as his father but also demanding (of a small-market team with limited resources) and meddling despite no baseball experience.

Resigning in disgust after this season is highly probable.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Eric the Mauve posted:

in my save a 90-year-old pep is still hertha’s chief scout

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i think my biggest pet peeve for football manager match engine is how penalties are scored like, less than 50% of the time.

it's mental.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I kept stats on it for a while in FM21 and the penalty conversation rate was about two in three over about 150 efforts (in regulation play, not tournament penalties).

One thing that seems anecdotally true but I can't prove is that if a particular player misses a penalty he's likelier to miss his next one too, probably some kind of extra Pressure malus like the Striker Drought. My policy now is if you miss two in a row then you're done taking penalties for a while.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I found it quite humorous that they did a major survey of penalties (I presume all kinds) and found that, by far, just shooting it straight down the middle was the most reliable way to score one.

All they need to do is move the spot back a fair distance. That would give the keeper more time to react and more likely to save, and also raise the miss chance. That way, giving a penalty in live play would not be such a game-changing decision and it would make match results less likely to swing on the whims of officials and flop artists.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JustJeff88 posted:

I found it quite humorous that they did a major survey of penalties (I presume all kinds) and found that, by far, just shooting it straight down the middle was the most reliable way to score one.

All they need to do is move the spot back a fair distance. That would give the keeper more time to react and more likely to save, and also raise the miss chance. That way, giving a penalty in live play would not be such a game-changing decision and it would make match results less likely to swing on the whims of officials and flop artists.

was the survey before or after they changed the walk up rule? because when you were able to stop and pivot at will in the run up it seemed like every time you'd just send the keeper the wrong one and put it down the middle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just make everyone take penalties like beppe signori

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
E/N trying to get my pre-season bottom half projected team into the last continental spot of Eredivisie final week of the season, 2 points up on the next team where I win every tie due to a huge GD advantage. Three of my back line all break their jaws in training in the lead up (what the gently caress?). I lose my last game to a mid table team to a late goal from my fifth string CB missing an interception. The other team beats Ajax on the road.

I am save scumming gently caress you SI

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Three of my back line all break their jaws in training in the lead up (what the gently caress?)

Schedule fewer boxing sessions

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How can you be so disrespectful to a time honored FM tradition like the Run Of Injuries To Every Player At A Particular Position

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I lost three goalkeepers the day before a cup championship due to "a vigorous challenge in training"

Give me names FM, someone's getting transfer listed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pretty certain it used to give you names, because I distinctly remember releasing some scrub on a free after he wrecked my hot prospect's knee in U18 training in like FM18

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
With penalties, if a player with positive body language takes it, they seem much more likely to score.
If I'm managing a match, I'll often just pick whoever looks like they're having a good time to take the penalty.

If the guy taking it is having a poo poo game, he seems almost certain to shank it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Azhais posted:

I lost three goalkeepers the day before a cup championship due to "a vigorous challenge in training"

Give me names FM, someone's getting transfer listed.

As a former keeper who once suffered a slight concussion due to some boney knobhead tryhard in a corners drill, I believe that the appropriate penalty is death by rhinocerous goring.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

was the survey before or after they changed the walk up rule? because when you were able to stop and pivot at will in the run up it seemed like every time you'd just send the keeper the wrong one and put it down the middle.

When did they change the rule? I'm honestly not sure. It just works because keepers have no time to react - they just guess. It's essentially a sort of double-bluff that doesn't involve much physical skill, which is why I advocate moving the spot back.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

When did they change the rule? I'm honestly not sure. It just works because keepers have no time to react - they just guess. It's essentially a sort of double-bluff that doesn't involve much physical skill, which is why I advocate moving the spot back.

looks like 2010, so probably checks out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Obliterati posted:

I would kill for a goon multiplayer league

wish granted

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

karmicknight posted:

wish granted

extremely worth it

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've been playing my Celtic League's database. I somehow messed up the "Yellow Cards" setting. I wanted to set it to three yellow cards in any cup competition gets you a ban and five in the league. But I set it to three across all competitions. I'll tell you it makes for an interesting dynamic.

I'm not playing with a particularly aggressive team, but after the first month of games I'm expecting at least one person suspended every two or so games. Sometimes two players out. It's kind of a forced rotation situation and also demands you to be wary of players who are one card away from a yellow with a big game coming up, much more so than on the usual 5+ card setting.

I'm going to play on with it for a while and see how it goes over a full season. I think I like it too from a "Theme" perspective, where a lot of the league has the idea of it being about developing players for Scotland/Ireland/Wales/Norn Iron, and you don't want players developing into nasty fuckers.

The only other thing I'd really need to change if I released it to the public is the Irish teams were all set with their league to end in November. And with most players on one year contracts it means their contract is up not even halfway through this revised league. If I was making it available to everyone I'd need to go through and set every Irish player's contract (and the loans) to end in June, seven months later.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Obliterati posted:

extremely worth it

This is extremely funny with hindsight

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
Re individual training recommendations from your staff - they seem a bit pointless in that they always seem to proceed in a short loop of: get recommendation and apply -> a couple of weeks pass -> get recommendation to remove as 'no longer a weakness' despite no obvious change in stats (and surely not long enough to make an impact). Applying or removing these trainings must be about 50% of the recommendations I receive. Seems a bit poorly implemented if not a bug.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

That's certainly a name

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Serie A.jpg. Every other team lines up like this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Heading (hopefully) towards promotion to the PL and wondering what to do about my captain and right-back who's been with us since League Two and won't be good enough to start next season. Never easy to phase out someone that integral to the club, especially when they're still in the first half of their career

Then in comes Xavi with Eight Million Saudi Pounds and solves all my problems. Thanks for the memories, off you gently caress. Previous biggest sale was about £165k

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
The winter roster update definitely made some other tweaks

If nothing else, I’ve noticed high flair players actually doing tricky things. I’ve seen more heel passes this week than i have since release.

I came to make this post because my striker just scored an insane goal from 20 yards out on an actual :siren: overhead kick :siren: which is definitely a first for this year for me.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The winter roster update definitely made some other tweaks

If nothing else, I’ve noticed high flair players actually doing tricky things. I’ve seen more heel passes this week than i have since release.

I came to make this post because my striker just scored an insane goal from 20 yards out on an actual :siren: overhead kick :siren: which is definitely a first for this year for me.

There were patch notes released with the update. More bicycle kicks was one of the notes.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Not in the notes on Steam, I see it there on the full notes on the forums though

After a full EPL season I've still only seen that one attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Not in the notes on Steam, I see it there on the full notes on the forums though

After a full EPL season I've still only seen that one attempt

Yeah, they released more detail on their own forums. And still, one or two bikes a year sounds about right. Especially if it's a screamer scoring bike in a highlight.

I want to play again (leaving aside I have other games I also want to play) but I made a database for me to play in. Ireland, Norn Iron, Scotland and Wales all in one system. I don't think there's problems left in the database, but there could be, so I'd want to leave the editor on. However if I leave the editor on it'll be hard to resist "cheating."