Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wirth1000 posted:

Never loving manage in the Malaysian league. Not because it's a garbage league full of garbage players but.... gently caress. The names. It's the most frustrating loving thing ever to keep track of who is who!!!

To be fair this is doubtless exactly what a Malaysian trying to manage newgens in the English leagues thinks about the endless sea of Pete Joneses and Richard Thomases and Lee Williamses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I had an end of season team talk that everyone liked and then the wrapup screen showed that half the team, whose morale had already been perfect, is now abysmal.

I initially freaked out but thankfully when I checked my squad status everyone was fine, so I guess it's just a graphical overflow bug.

I still suck though, I buy a guy whose stats are the best on the team and his morale and training are good but he's just nothing but mediocre, while a different guy I almost sold off because his attributes are weak for the newly promoted level is awesome, and I don't really understand soccer so I don't get it :shrug: The guy who inexplicably sucks has a Professional personality too.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 11, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also what the gently caress is with the facegen in 18? They deliberately made it godawful, far worse than it was 10 years ago, and also went out of their way to break all facegen mods. It's a huge gently caress-you to players that they actually went out of their way to implement and I must be missing something because I can't comprehend why.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If I could somehow get my hands on 14 I would. You're not the first person I've heard say that. As a brand new player to the series 18 seems pretty awesome to me though, aside from the weirdly worse-than-Oblivion newgen faces

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I’m still a new player and I’ve already learned to almost never promise anyone anything, because promise tracking is buggy as hell and you’ll usually auto fail.

Seems like unless you’re playing easy mode and gave yourself a huge starting rep and/or man management stat, it’s best to have an rear end man with high man management and/or captain with high leadership and basically never condescend to talk directly to your players about anything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My favorite thing about this game is misclicking during a press conference and everyone flipping their poo poo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wonder if a "constantly tell your team they suck and excoriate them in the press at every opportunity no matter how well they're playing" run is sustainable for any length of time without getting fired

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Now I want to download a gamey exploit-the-engine tactic to make my players overperform and spend a career bouncing from job to job being a complete rear end in a top hat to absolutely everyone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This game crashes a lot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, just the bog standard stock skin. I do play windowed though which apparently it doesn’t really like.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I haven't had it crash but it must have some sick memory leaks or something cos if it stays open for too long eventually it just stops rendering more and more match engine graphics

Yeah this might be it too. Seems like after a few hours it gets crashy. Though I’ve had it CTD just clicking through menus too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I lost interest in custom skins when I noticed that nearly all of them include warnings that they’re for full screen only.

I can’t understand wanting to play FM in full screen, it’s very much a game you tab in and out of while doing other stuff for me :shrug: I usually have it on my second monitor.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An interesting situation has come up in my Accrington Stanley game:

In our second year in the Premiership, we finished 5th and went into the Europa League.

Our third year was our beast mode year. Accrington and Man City ran away from the rest of the Premiership and dueled down to the wire for the title, neither team losing a match until February. Fourth to last match of the season, Man City comes to Accrington leading by 2 points and with a soft remaining schedule. So a draw probably wins the Premiership for City, a City loss and we’re in the driver’s seat with one away game at Tottenham and two cream puff home games to go.

As expected, Man City parked the bus from the opening whistle. But we broke through in the 88th minute and won 1-0.

Meanwhile, we’ve been dominating the Europa League all year and are now in the semi-final. Where we were drawn against the Spurs. Who are also our next opponent in the Premiership. This sets up the unusual situation that we are playing the Spurs three times (away, away, home) in 8 days.

Moreover, Tottenham is now on the other end of what Chelsea did to them a few years back: they were near relegation, fired their manager in January, have now come back up to 12th place. But still alive in the EL and thus still alive for a Champions League berth next year.

Accrington has long since clinched their CL spot, and so beyond extra hardware always being nice, doesn’t have much reason to give a poo poo about the EL, but desperately wants to win the Premiership fixture. Whereas Tottenham doesn’t give a poo poo about the Premiership fixture but desperately wants to win the EL.

Seems pretty obvious that in this situation the managers would have an implicit understanding without even needing to speak to each other: you don’t try too hard to win today, I won’t try too hard to win Tuesday. (Plus by lying down for us in the Premiership fixture the Spurs can stick it to City and that’s always fun.)

As an American accustomed to how American sports work, I find this fascinating.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 2, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my last Premier League season (details on last page) I played Tottenham six times:

League game (home)
They knocked us out of the Carabao Cup (away)
We knocked them out of the FA Cup (home)

And then right near the end of the season we drew them home-and-away in the Europa League semifinal, sandwiching our away League game against them, so we played them 3 straight times in 8 days.

We won 4 of the 6 games overall and lost 2, no draws.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

This happens to me in every game, every second season or so. There's def something weird going on in the engine to make it happen on the reg

Well I think the devs have openly admitted the game is rigged to draw rivals against each other in cups, though in my LLM game my piddly nothing team obviously isn't rivals with anyone in Real Football

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like the extra touch of realistic detail that megabastards always get 5-6 minutes of extra time when they're losing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For four straight years my team has been in the exact same Champions League group: us, Dortmund, Athletic Club, and whichever minnow found its way through the preliminary stages. Is this normal?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it's not really a big deal to me. I have to imagine Dortmund would be pretty pissed off about it by now, they're locked in a Groundhog Day loop of getting bounced from the CL at the group stage, winning the EL, rinse and repeat.

(That's the other thing, the first two times Dortmund qualified for the CL via the Bundesliga but actually the last two times they finished midtable but got back to the CL by winning the EL. :shrug:)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So I noticed, after a few hundred hours of playing matches, that whenever a dude (my dude or an opposing dude) got loose for a 1-on-1 with the keeper, he would fail to score an awful lot of the time. Like definitely less than half the time. For a long time I figured it was just luck of the draw, but eventually the sample size got sufficiently big to conclude something is probably amiss here. And I am very much a soccerfootball novice, but I’m pretty sure in real life a 1-on-1 break must result in a goal 80% of the time or more.

Googled it up, quickly realized that, yes, this has been widely noticed and is apparently new to the match engine in 18. And it goes a long way toward explaining why 3 striker tactics are so busted, probably.

Now obviously I don’t actually have any idea, but I’d bet a fair stack of bills I know the general outline of what happened here:

1. Playtesting of the 18 match engine quickly established that it produces far too many goals.
2. Attempts to solve this problem in a realistic way quickly made it clear that it would require a rebuild of the match engine, and it’s already too close to ship date for that.
3. So SI said, ehhhh, just make players really suck at scoring 1-on-1 with the keeper, adjust it till the engine produces the ~2 goals per game it should, and ship. We’ll try something different next year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Waroduce posted:

My team talks and press interviews consist of a steady steam of explitives and I poo poo talk other managers and teams constantly. I also handle my players very harshly and basically don't talk to anyone unless they're in the final year of their contract. If I like you though you don't get to the final year of your contract. I basically tell players theyre pussys and under contract and to get on playing the sport i pay them money to play.

can't imagine how that could have gone wrong at Arsenal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, yeah, that is what managing a low league semi-pro team is like. You can pretty much never keep good players ever and your employer is constantly struggling to remain in existence.

If you stay in your job a few years you start to get to a point where you can keep your own regens longer because they like you more--but at lower leagues even that effect is pretty small because they want to move to a better league ASAP and any bigger club that wants your best player to sit on its bench picking splinters out of his rear end as a just-in-case third string backup option can provoke him to demand you sell him just by casually mentioning it to the press.

Some people enjoy the challenge. Most people don't and choose to start in a top league. What you describe is basically the LLM experience, so if you're not enjoying it, by all means just start over with a bigger team. My own experience is limited, but it seems like you have to be patient when doing LLM and move slowly, and getting promoted before your team is ready to stick in the higher division can be a disaster.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You don’t, the work permit system is desiged to gently caress everyone else for the benefit of the megabastards.

Far as I know the only thing you can do is start a new game unemployed, simulate until Brexit, and if it’s a hard Brexit start over. Once you get a soft Brexit (English teams get X foreign players per squad) save, back up the save file so yoo can re-use it next time, then give yourself whichever job you want.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mickolution posted:

I don't know about this year, but in 2017 signing anyone from abroad post brexit was near impossible (I think the severity of the Brexit was somewhat random). Easy (albeit slightly cheating) way around it is to buy the editor and give the player English as a second nationality. Think it's around €5.

This is an option but it’s super cheaty to give yourself access to players your competitors in lower leagues (or even fellow non-megabastards in the EPL) can’t access. By all means play the game you bought in whatever way you enjoy most, but if you’re going to do that you might as well just use the editor to jack up the CA/PA of your own players.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK dumb question time, is there any way to stop the idiot data analysts from spamming my scouting inbox with dumbass "we should have a scout look into this world famous wonderkid that belongs to a megabastard and wouldn't actually join us at gunpoint even if we could afford him, which we can't!" emails that I have to waste time deleting

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume you’re not a megabastard since “too expensive” is a thing for you, so have you looked for a loaner? Megabastards often have spare keepers out for loan, sometimes pretty good ones and sometimes you don’t even have to pay for them. A loaner can tide you over until you get a real keeper of your own.

Your in-house 2 star keeper is probably fine for now though if he’s big and has high Communication

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If it’s not your cup of tea the third party scouting cheat utility is still there for you :cheers:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wish the board would quit freaking out all like THE FANS ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE JOE RANDO SIGNING when I sign a random teenager on a minimum salary free transfer because the only keeper on my U19 squad just broke his leg.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Awesome! I was just thinking, you know what one thing in FM still disappoints me, it’s that training doesn’t force me to do enough tedious but required clicking.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm optimistic that by 2026, assuming civilization hasn't collapsed by then, we'll get all the way back to the quality of regen faces FM enjoyed in 2012, and other games in 2004.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FM18 is the only game I have much experience with, but what I noticed was that, if you’re away and your opponent is using Counter mentality, you are probably going to lose and there’s gently caress-all you can do about it. I got curious as to why it seemed like I won at Chelsea and at City more often than at Watford and at Newcastle, and did a bunch of save scumming to try and find out. The only consistent thing I found was that: that if you’re away and the other team’s using Counter (as reported by your advance scout). Defensive or Standard, you’re probably fine, but Counter, you’re probably hosed.

(I know SI’s official lines are It’s Your Tactics Mate and that it has to do with complacency and blahblahblah, but I’m not sure I buy that. sassassin, do you have any technical insight about that?)

And no tweaks to your own formation or mentality seem to make any difference, at least that I could find in a few hours’ worth of save scumming. Even the 5-2-3 cheat tactics don’t seem to help much. Who knows if SI privately regards this as a bug or a feature, though.

Come to think of it, I never tested to see whether the player gets a similar benefit from playing Counter as a home underdog. But I bet you do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That may just be because teams that use Counter mentality also tend to do Attacking Set Pieces for their match prep. Assuming AI teams do match prep and assuming match prep actually does anything, neither of which is a fact I know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my current FM18 save I have a regen who is probably the best left winger in the world but he's Hungarian and every single goddamn international break he comes back injured. Every. Goddamn. Time. It's been going on for 4 solid years and it's infuriating. And he's gotten significantly injured like twice in training/matches for my team, versus like 11 times for Hungary. :rant:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

pffft my most promising kids are all on loan at Napoli and Monaco and Arsenal and poo poo, just waiting for a first teamer to piss me off and open up a spot for them :commissar:

e: actually it sounds like this mechanic might be a really strong discouragement from loaning out promising youngsters because I can only imagine how the AI's handling of mentoring will wreck them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

seems like this is the buggiest version in a while

Say FM players every single November

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

please don't post what my gf says to me in bed

:thurman:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm still on 18, but I had a really good Argentine wonderkid whose listed value was $18.5M, I had his asking price set at $80M because gently caress you, fellow megabastards, he's MINE.

Then, yesterday, out of nowhere, River Plate came in with a non-negotiable offer of... $103M plus 30% next sale profit. :stare:

I actually very nearly rejected it, because as soon as I read the words "$TEAM has made a non-negotiable offer for $WONDERKID" my hand is already moving my mouse pointer to the Reject button without my even actively thinking about it. Teams making lowball offers for my best players is just daily spam, you know? My brain registered the numbers and stopped my index finger just in time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that was my first question too but fax in the paperwork first, ask questions later!

I checked with the editor and River's transfer and wage budgets are both $0 (transfer is $0 and wage bill = wage budget) now but they have $330M in cash reserves. The offer was $69M up front, $20M deferred and $14M for 10 international appearances (which it will only take him two years or so to rack up so it's basically "as long as he doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury very soon" money). :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Low crosses in the box were the broken tactic last year so of course they were changed to being completely useless this year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So it's Determination, but different somehow?

Also I'm kinda getting from how Consistency and Concentration work that physical attributes are better to have your precious CA points invested in because they're not subject to nerfing by failing a Cons/Conc check.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 11, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does Stamina really matter much, though? I recall reading (might even have been from you) that players don't actually suffer significant performance penalties until they get, like, under 60% condition. (This is a big reason the 5-2-3 tactics broke the match engine, you can have automatic/complete wing-backs running 10 miles per game with no problems, thus effectively playing two positions each, thus letting you get away with playing the 3 strikers that kill the match engine without destroying your midfield defence)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IIRC your Man Management attribute actually has a significant impact on whether players react positively to you praising them and etc., doesn't it? If so then you either invest points in it or just never speak directly to your players ever.

(could just be an internet legend and it actually does nothing though)