Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

this is the first fm i've bought since 14. i got hired by nice and i have absolutely no idea what i am doing with the way training works now. is it worth trying to wrap my head around it or just tell my assistant to do everything? also why do journalists love it so much when i point my finger at them in press conferences? at least the match engine is noticeably more realistic tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

sassassin posted:

Rosenborg offered me the big job but moving to a new club is such a chore I can't be bothered. £21m transfer budget though...

i feel that. after i won the ligue 1 with nice i got offered the psg job. no thank u i’d rather stay here with my wonderkids and wage budget of roughly 2 neymars and not have to rebuild a team where literally over half the players want to leave for CL football

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

what would you do with a 200cm striker who cant finish and hates shooting but does have incredible dribbling skills

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

imagine being the psg manager, lol

edit: also a very Nice goal difference there

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i have noticed sometimes u get stuff in your inbox saying ‘Player X has been overlooked for the national team despite their excellent recent form’ and it turns out Player X is a washed up 35 year old whose “excellent recent form” has been for the B team. i wonder if something similar could happen for the ballon d’or

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i had an fm14 save where south africa won the WC with a solitary group stage win and only one goal from open play

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i'm just going to stick with my FM21 save which in 2035 has definitely entered bizarro timeline. i am managing liverpool - agnelli is the chairman and pep works for me as a scout. a left-footed welshman called "nyran giggs" has come through manchester united's youth academy. the qataris sold psg and they finally won the champions league for the first time the following year with a team made up of like half young loanees from chelsea and man city

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i had a martin martin come through my youth academy. meanwhile in the first team there is one left footed belgian called thibaut vandamme and another left footed belgian called thibeau vandamme

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i always thought it would be funny to do a save aiming to get luch-energiya vladivostok into europe

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

the one time i took the athletic club job i had the most ridiculous crop of wonderkids come through the academy. like 7 of spain’s starting xi were my players 5 of which came through the youth system in the same year

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

my favourite fm idiosyncrasy is the way in which every player declines physically in exactly the same way, first losing 1 point of dribbling around age 29 and then all their physical stats just cratering from age 32 on to the extent that a 36 year old is basically a shambling corpse

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i have a player in my current hertha side called Robert Fick. his surname in german literally means “gently caress”. so to me he is bobby gently caress

the sex ghost posted:

Do enjoy regens from random corners of the globe popping up in your academy. Trying to work out how and why a winger from rural Portugal who speaks 4 languages and can play for Switzerland made the long journey to try out for Bradford City under 18s

i had a right-back from papua new guinea come through the academy at my last club. he even ended up being good enough to be a starter for a PL club

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i'm in the year 2052 and shakhtar's academy are in the ukrainian premier league somehow

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

yugioh mishima posted:

i'm in the year 2052 and shakhtar's academy are in the ukrainian premier league somehow

in case anyone was wondering how they did, they had an, uh, record-breaking season!

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

csidle posted:

I am playing as Parma in 2032, competing for the Serie A title and hoping to finally win the CL.

I have just purchased a 16-year old wonderkid who has incredible attributes and would be a legitimately decent squad player if not starter.

However, I feel extremely weird about the prospect of playing a 16-year old in a top division. Is there a risk of me breaking him or his lack of maturity somehow screwing him up?

He's not even almost 17, it's a half year off, but Barca just came in for my starter in his position with an offer I couldn't refuse, so he could become a legit rotation option.

e: Playing FM 21.

a few seasons back i had a ridiculously talented CM come through the youth academy, i just started playing him straight away and he was the best midfielder in the world by 22. he didnt get poached by PSG (or to be more accurate, nantes, who are basically PSG 2 in my save) but he was also a supporter of the team, so maybe thats why he never left

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

in my save solskjaer stayed at man u until he retired (sometime in the 2040s IIRC). lampard was also at chelsea for a like 10 years but got sacked eventually. i think legend status at a club buys you a lot more patience on FM than it does in real life

the oddest managerial thing i saw though was probably guardiola leaving city after 2 seasons… so he could take the spurs job

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

last time i did the 'climb the english football pyramid' thing i found that the two challenges were getting from the national league into league two, and from the championship to the premier league. both of those took me a couple of seasons, or maybe three? can't remember. anyway if you can get into the EFL proper you've got a decent chance of hopping straight up the leagues into the championship, or at least it was that way on like FM18 or whatever version of it i did it on. i just signed lots of scandinavian free agents (cheap wages!) and loanees from further up the leagues. there was one danish guy i signed in the national league north who ended up still being a decent squad player for me in the PL

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tony Mowbray, age 86, is still working as a scout for Port Vale.

in my save a 90-year-old pep is still hertha’s chief scout

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

That's certainly a name

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

my points record in a 38 game season is 106. that year PSG came second with 103

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i’ve managed to negotiate a higher salary a few times. if you have a very good rep and you go to a team that has a smaller rep or if you’re a club legend you can usually get them to go one click higher but yeah, never managed anything more than that

edit: i also think your salary supposedly affects how much the players listen to you, like if your wage is higher than the player’s they’re less likely to get pissed off etc. no idea how much of an effect this really has or if it’s even really a thing though

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Answers Me posted:

I’m still plugging away on FM20, and I’m never that arsed about having an updated player database, but I am a sucker for shiny new features. Is it worth me making the jump to the new game yet, do you reckon?

I’ve been playing for 25 years at this point but have only bought about five different games. Dunno if that’s weird or about normal :shrug:

12 years or so here and i’ve bought three (3) versions

Probably will get 24, J-League being in is pretty cool and even if it’s a mess someone will put out a fix for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Eric the Mauve posted:

After many years of playing FM, I never promise a player anything, ever. If I try to sign a guy and he demands a promise to play him in a certain role or to strengthen {position} I nope right out. If a guy gets grumpy I sell him. Not worth the hassle. There are lots of talented players in the world.

The sole exception is if a guy demands to be sold I definitely will promise him that. Get the hell off my team if you don't want to be here.

This. and in any case when you promise ‘sell if a bid of [x] is received’, half the time teams will just try to lowball you because the player is unsettled and he’ll end up deciding to stay because there were no acceptable bids