Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Someday I'll have a rally car that looks half as cool as that one :allears:
Fixed for me. Loving this thread, great motivation to get off my rear end and do things that aren't video games :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t86304-diy-auto-manual-swap.html

Saving for future use - Also gives me ideas about the wiring mess of the SFC. Which my father is now trying to talk me into keeping permantly and using as a track car..... GG am I the sensible one in this family???

Well research tonight as it's too goddamn wet to even think about working on either car. So putting into the filing cabinet that almost certainly will need a genuine wreck to salavge a lot of parts... which as I have said, that was the point of at least the Forester in the first place.

That and a wiring loom for a manual turbo WRX / Forester GT. So... yeah time to go to the wrecking yards and go parts hunting. Or roll for sale groups and try my luck.. there is a 98 LX for 800 bucks unregistered, wonder if I can lowball that one and see if I luck out again....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f145/05-xt-into-sf5-swap-question-570714/

More notes for later... having a baaaaaad idea.

Day 3

Okay so tonight's job is to get the air cleaner off and drain the oil so we can check if the Grey Lady has spun a bearing.

Future reference for the emissions tubing.

Annnnd gone

Undertray and air box out

Oil out and lets check the drain plug....... hmmm. No sign of metal. The oil itself was dirty but clear of metal too.

Cant find my oil filter removal tool so a loving big set of grips will do. Cut the filter open and.... no metal in there either!

Okay so the previous owner was wrong, this hasnt spun a bearing. If anything I'm betting the bottom end is in good order. So our thoughts of a bent valve are looking better and better, and this engine more and more looking like a going concern.

:D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I cant help myself

There goes any money in the account for a month.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I feel like this is some kind of misinterpreted urge to have fewer cars, dealt with by moving the powertrain from one into another.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

How was your Saturday? I did this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So yeah. Another couple of grand spent picking up Forester parts, this time from a guy who had his pride and joy T-Boned by an old lady who forgot you should take your foot of the gas.

"So where is this going?" they ask.

I point to the red Forester that has the trailer that we're loading parts on. They got my idea idea very quick and rather liked it :D

So in addition to the above pics...

Leather interior goes to the grey Forester, engine / gearbox / ECU / diff goes to the eventual remotoring of the red Forester

OKay so after all that hauling poo poo around (and wonder how the hel I am going to get the engine off hte trailer and working out how to toss a gearbox into the GC8 for safekeeping), I returned my attention the Grey Lady. Mostly for my own reference.

After a fair bit of effort the intercooler came off

- cute isnt it?

Yeah I think we might put in a bigger one.

Now it all becomes a lot easier to work on

Power steering and air conditioner pumps now out of the way

And that closed Saturday

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sunday

Working out my plan of attack

Starter motor comes out

Catalogue fuel lines, begn work on turbo and bellhousing - KB and crew arrive. My plan of systematically remove and catalogue where everything goes back is out the window with the "gently caress it, everything off"

Certainly makes pickig up the engine easier.

After some manhandling (two people can do it) it's in the garage ready to be stripped ot the shortblock

And that's where we end on the Grey Lady for this evening.

And here is my 2.5 litre motor off the trailer after a lot of swearing and effort.

Renewed plan of attack

a) Find out the issue with the 2 litre motor, fix and reassemble. Put on a TD04 (Gotta be better than a TF035!) and a better intercooler.
b) Work out what the hell we are going to do witht he GC8 WRX
c) Red Forester driveline switch
d) Service 2.5 litre motor and switch turbos to a VF34, STI 2008 intercooler, Killer B pickup and windage ray
e) Wallet recovery
f) Red Forester sleeper mode.

I'm actually really happy to find a Forester XT for cheap - I personally think it'll suit the SF Forester better once we get to that. But I do need a list of parts to execute it.

Wow this thread really has gone off into a hugely unexpected direction, hasint it? I thought it would be failure to finish the MY06 WRX and some half hearted attempt at the RX7... nwo we're going full throttle at THREE none of twhich were considered a week ago.

Oh and inbetween that there's the WRC2 rally car to be given it's last WRC hurrah in November. That got a new oil pump in between grey Forester workings, timing belt reinserted, covers on, fired up and oil pressure verified.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 6, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Dammit, I'm getting urges to work on my GD stuff now. Just need to machine the new transmission and then put the front LSD in... and get a new clutch... and fix other stuff while I'm in there... :shepspends:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love how crazy motivated you've gotten lately.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Dammit, I'm getting urges to work on my GD stuff now. Just need to machine the new transmission and then put the front LSD in... and get a new clutch... and fix other stuff while I'm in there... :shepspends:

I just managed to work out what your username says and I'm like :facepalm: how have I not been able to read THAT before?

Rhyno posted:

I love how crazy motivated you've gotten lately.

The My06 was depressing to work on and a big slog. Every time I worked on it or even looked at it, it' was a reminder I broke something I really loved. This current array of sheer madness is like a breath of fresh air that reminds me working on cars can be truly fulfilling and not just a painful grind.

And also, every single person who has seen the grey Forester is urging us on to resurrect it. I was under it yesterday and it's just so bloody straight, clean and not a scrap of rust anywhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 8, 2016

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just found this thread and saw you have a first gen Rx7. Im now subscribed and have to go back to the beginning and read all the poo poo. I heard there are Foresters here too, I cant wait to catch up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The RX7 is what I'm most interested in too but engine swaps on other poo poo is certainly fine by me too. Basically I just want an FB and have done since forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, now I really have no excuse for not getting off my duff and replacing control arm bushings on my 2.5TS.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ugh, all of this... now I'm checking local classifieds for Subarus old enough I don't have to pass emissions, and also for EG33s. Dammit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You know how I went from 0 FB RX-7's to 3 in one month? I think it's spreading...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh dear that thread rename threw me for a bit there.

So anyway we're going to get the engine on a stand so we ca....

Okay moving right along and ignoring the fact there's a fourth Forester here tonight *for reasons*, ever seen what a WRC2 engine looks like?

We're been discussing what could have gone wrong with the GT's motor so before it's on a stand, we took the cam covers off to have a look

For a motor with 192,000 kms on it, it's in drat good condition. More to the point, there is just no sign on a bent valve, the valves move as they should and clearences are spot on. We have compression on all four cylinders. I'm starting to consider we may have pulled the motor for no good reason at all, altho pulling the heads still will be done so we are sure. I'm suspecting we may have a perfectly good motor that can be reassembled and run for another 200,000 kms. No complaints there

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hoarding things is awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm glad I'm not the only car hoarder here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only car hoarder here.

Fitting post/title combo.

I had 4 Rabbits once. I still have Rabbit parts in the garage, although they're dwindling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I had 4 Rabbits once. I still have Rabbit parts in the garage, although they're dwindling.

Friend moved out of town and couldn't take his massive collection of Audi 4000/5000 parts.

Guess what is now littering my garage and took two truckloads to move there?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

Friend moved out of town and couldn't take his massive collection of Audi 4000/5000 parts.

Guess what is now littering my garage and took two truckloads to move there?

Do those use the same airbox as a MK2 VW?

I can't find a loving airbox anywhere.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Haha man, I fuckin love this. I kinda wish I had another Forester that was rusty so I didn't have to drive my good one in the winter even though that's what it's made for. I hate you for your multiple foresters and FB, goddammit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have entirely too many cars and yet I looked at another Forester for sale and had thoughts.

Save me :(

Annnyway.....

A few rather rare Group N items appeared, KB just had to carry them on the train.

Up on the engine stand, this weekend's job is to take the heads off and see what we got. I think I will be annoyed if I've done all this work and it turns out to be good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Now I said the GT was supposed to the be car I wrecked for parts (and we now know how THAT went). Well the black base model auto is ... well... a heap of poo poo.

Blown head gasket, dodgy mods....
Clear coat is also going

I think it's had a front end accident

So yeah, it's poo poo. 375,000 kms. And 600 bucks. Whick is a drat good price anyway you cut it still, except when you compare it to the outragouesly cheap price I got the GT for. Seriously, I paid 500 bucks for a goddamn turbo Forester....!

Anyway, this one for parts. Kinda amusing I find a spares car for the one I was originally going to pull apart for spares in the first place.

RENEWED plan of attack....

a) Find out the issue with the 2 litre motor, fix and reassemble. Put on a TD04 (Gotta be better than a TF035!) and a better intercooler.
b) Part out black car
c) Work out what the hell we are going to do witht he GC8 WRX
d) Red Forester driveline switch
e) Service 2.5 litre motor and switch turbos to a VF34, STI 2008 intercooler, Killer B pickup and windage ray
f) Wallet recovery
g) Red Forester sleeper mode.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that in the past week you've gone off the loving deep end. Did you put that Rick & Morty sticker on there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I love that in the past week you've gone off the loving deep end.

He's just re-awakening the part of his brain that likes Subarus.

My personal problem topped out at three cars, but if I had more space they would probably be sending expeditions into my Subaru hoard to try and make contact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He's just re-awakening the part of his brain that likes Subarus.

My personal problem topped out at three cars, but if I had more space they would probably be sending expeditions into my Subaru hoard to try and make contact.

I owned five at once a few years back. Not counting the GF's car. My neighbors hated me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Do those use the same airbox as a MK2 VW?

I can't find a loving airbox anywhere.

CIS? I think it does....

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I owned five at once a few years back. Not counting the GF's car. My neighbors hated me.

No, I mean three Subarus. I had like three other cars at the time too but those don't count.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think this household wins in the Subaru hoarding contest

Subaru 1 - MY06 WRX
2 - MY07 WRX
3 - MY99 Forester Limited
4 - MY96 WRX Wagon
5 - MY 99 Forester
6 - MY00 Forester GT
7 - 2007 WRC2 Spec-C

AND......

VE Commodore SS-V
Mazda RX7 Series II

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So lets get this motor opened up and find out what we have....

First things first, Vogon Engineer spent some time putting the timing belt together to see if we can see if we had compression etc. A bit of oil down the bores, give it a twist and.... yep we do. All four have good compression.

I set about with the teardown, get the passenger side bank off. This is what I saw - lots of carbon buildup and the oil / degreaser we had stuck down the inlet to test sealing. Interesting it hadnt drained in any way but had started the e-carbonisation. That's why it looks like a oilslick

A minute wipedown and this is what we have. Not bad for 192,000 kms

No lip to indicate wear, bores still have the factory honing marks, no sign of detonation. A bit more cleaning up and we are goooooooooooooooooood

Hmmm..... bit of seepage from a water gallery probably. That headstud does protude into one so this is possible and expected.

Heads are carboned as expected.

So...... now I have the very big chance I've pulled this motor down for no reason. The other bank comes off tomorrow.

Oh..... gotta show these

Factory tools to remove timing wheels. Makes an otherwise awkward job at least straightforward.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 13, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Every time this thread comes up I start looking at internals for my EJ20 build, which I really don't need parts for as it's a few projects down the line. I suspect you've done enough Subaru stuff by this point that it looks easier than I've found it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Every time this thread comes up I start looking at internals for my EJ20 build, which I really don't need parts for as it's a few projects down the line. I suspect you've done enough Subaru stuff by this point that it looks easier than I've found it.

Rotary powered cars are stupid easy, Subarus are basically Lego - just need to get the right order for everything and a standard 49 piece toolset wont cut it. My biggest problem is finding them again in amongst the toolbags KB has mixed them into.

I'll show my "Smash the gently caress out of it" breaker bar later today :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Rotaries are stupid easy until you're starting to try to figure out where the last 10-5% of power available out of an extend port (well, we call them street ports over here - not bridgeport anyway) 13B is. But that's fun I guess.

I guess I'm just mildly pissed off because I'm trying to figure out pistons for a built EJ20 that will hold the power I want but won't need a rebuild in a couple years and that's a dataset that's pretty drat lacking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Company23 makes a clone of the Subaru factory tool that's much cheaper for cam locking.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OH FOR FUCKS SAKES I DID ALL THIS loving WORK AND THE MOTOR IS loving GOLD AGGGGGGGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

- What is this thing called anyway? It's broken which seems to be the only thing that is not perfect
- About to take the cams out
- Bump sticks out

The breaker bar (Dubbed the *censored* Basher), useful for huge leverage, destroying doors or beating the poo poo out of politicans

Ummm.... yeah that one is a bit dirtier and rustier than I would normally like

So anyway, after a lot of applied violence, the heads came off to reveal ....

Carbon, oil from testing and degreaser... and..... with some cleaning

Uhhhhhh.... there is no sign of the bent valve and of ANY motor damage. This thing is good internally - Well gently caress all that work for nothing. We could have just put a timing belt on it and away we go.

Altho I suppose this would be a case if we didnt tear the engine down, it would have been damaged.....

Right. So its a clean up then bolt it back together with a bigger turbo. This grey Forester just gets better and better even with the now known to be completely unnessary engine out and teardown

What's not so good is the red GC8.....

Start attempt 1 failure. That wiring is a complete nightmare, I'm really not sure how the hell I'm going to fix this. Thread title is 100% accurate

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 14, 2016