Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Don Dongington posted:

EZ30 out of an outback/Liberty?

Yep. Two small turbos and you got yourself a decent bit of power and a very respnsive engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah and that AWD BRZ thing hasnt popped up in a bit.....

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/1158678774323479/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yep. Two small turbos and you got yourself a decent bit of power and a very respnsive engine

I would love to boost the H6 in my new-to-me Outback, but it's to be the wife's daily and needs to pas US emissions and stuff, soooo... not yet.
I will instead live vicariously through you.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Are you going to do rods/pistons? They're not really where they need to be for boost.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Wrar posted:

Are you going to do rods/pistons? They're not really where they need to be for boost.

EZ30 has standard style rods and take to forced induction nicely

EZ36 has the wonky offset rods and are rather picky bout their forced induction levels

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ferremit posted:

EZ36 has the wonky offset rods and are rather picky bout their forced induction levels

YO IT'S YOUR BOY AL WITH SOME H6 FACTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJgvKnuIZg

It's like Woody reads the sub or something.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Thats not exactly true. EZ30's are similarly limited to boost as EZ36's are due to the internals else you are going to put rods and pistons through the sump. Not that you need much boost for either motor to get 250Kw ATW, the high static compression also helps to keep required boost low.

The other limiter really is the siamese bore design. It's got problems holding decent boost.

Don Dongington posted:

YO IT'S YOUR BOY AL WITH SOME H6 FACTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJgvKnuIZg

It's like Woody reads the sub or something.

And here I was thinking yeah I knew my EZ motors - drat I didn't know about the variable lift on the EZ30. Actually I'm not sure I've heard anyone else make note of that either, that is genuinely I think not generally known.....! And also I *really* expected the EZ36 to be better supported on the aftermarket, I know you can get the decks closed on a EZ30 and forged internals are no longer a problem to get but still.... the aftermarket really hasnt come to the party with the EZ36??????? Thats honestly a surprise as you can low blo a EZ36 and get some power numbers reliably a EJ20 or 25 is pushing poo poo up hill to match.Even with the offset rods (Oh hey there FA20 weakness) you *should* with decent rods and pistons be able to turn it up to 16-20 psi and get somewhere up to 350Kw ATW without decking the block and doing that much more.

I kinda need to rethink this now. My plan was to get a low boost EZ30 going (260ish KwATW in a GF8? Yeah that's going to REALLY go) then go stark raving loving mad on a EZ36. Maybe going psychopathic on a EZ30 really will be the way to go? I mean I had an idea to build a car that will get me kicked from WSID for going sub 10.5......

Like what else can I shoot for? If you want nutso rally cars thats been done. Full back to showroom restore? That's the Clubspec. Sleeper? Thats the stuff I have lined up for the Forester. Dunno, I dont seem to have ticked off absolute lunatic track weapon......

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What's the availability of E85 like in your neck of the woods?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

What's the availability of E85 like in your neck of the woods?

Not too bad. United E85 about 10 kms from home. Flex fuel systems are basically off the shelf for a GC/GF too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Like what else can I shoot for? If you want nutso rally cars thats been done. Full back to showroom restore? That's the Clubspec. Sleeper? Thats the stuff I have lined up for the Forester. Dunno, I dont seem to have ticked off absolute lunatic track weapon......

If you're talking insensible suggestions I've not seen anything mid-engined from you yet young man :colbert:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not too bad. United E85 about 10 kms from home. Flex fuel systems are basically off the shelf for a GC/GF too.

I was thinking for the EZ30, which pretty much means going Haltech or something of that nature I expect.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

I was thinking for the EZ30, which pretty much means going Haltech or something of that nature I expect.

Its more the Flex Fuel stuff just bolts in and plugs in easily to the chassis. Plus the supporting mods are well known like the types of pumps that fit, the fuel hoses etc as from the factory nothing on the fuel system is tolerant to ethanol. Plus making a Haltech work with a GF veeeeeeery much a no brainer now. Plus splicing in a EZ30 wiring requirements... fairly known as well.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you're talking insensible suggestions I've not seen anything mid-engined from you yet young man :colbert:

Well I did post pics of me in a F430 Challenge about 11 years ago and I reviewed it? Ooooh right *I* haven't done a lunatic mid engine car yet.........

Dunno, what could I do?

Now thinking of car reviews...... I drove an Alfa today. First one I have steered in like 25 years even.

Uuuuuuunfortuantly it was that SUV thing... the Stelvio I think it's called? Okay look bluntly put I dont know much about the Stelvio at all because the only SUV I've ever really given a poo poo about the Cayenne.... which is a guilty pleasure of mine. The earlier Cayenne's were actually loving formidible offroad package that could tow a house and a good thing to steer on tar so I *get* that one.

This Stelvio? I dont get it.

Okay look it's stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid fast in a straight line. Like nearly Tesla X fast, it makes some okay noises and the grip is stupendous. Steering is uhhh.... not the best I've used and the handling pretty much breaks into understeer after the grip limit is reached altho it kinda feels like it's trying to behave like a RWD. It fails. Trying to dance on the throttle doesnt work and honestly while I could HURL this fucker around a track fast by exploiting grip and being able to drive through a lot of understeer it's still .... underwhelming? Also I think the chassis will BITE if the front regains grip - it is much like what I think a lot of SUV's these days are actually very nasty handling as they just do not transit well. Honestly I would take a Model X to throw about first.

I do on the other hand appreciate the more traditional cabin over the Tesla even if you can see Alfa isnt really that great in screwing cars together (Neither is Tesla). Alfa never have been known for quality so *pass*. As a traffic light warrior it's.....well why the gently caress would you get this over a traditional wagon? Or even sedan? It's clearly not in any way set up to even consider dirt roads despite its' suspension pretentions. You buy a vehicle that weighs more, cant handle better (and it has to be worse), it's actually not THAT much better to get in and out of or to see around you and.... why? We're not talking Lambo why here either (why not?), its a genuine "Why the gently caress would you spend money to buy this thing, it's just utterly pointless?" It's not like it looks good either, altho granted it looks better than most SUV's but that ain't saying much.

And TBH you would buy something else to tow your Alfa race car to the track. Like a Cayenne.

Now I understand fast crossovers. I *like* fast crossovers, I have ownership history on that. But this is one vehicle I cant get away from the thought it would be a lot better as a proper fast wagon and not some SUV loving POS just because that's fashionable these days. It's in reality just not that good - the power and grip cover up flaws that I suspect are lurking (and also the whole so what the point of this thing again?*)

* - It point is to bilk people with too much money and give some of it to Alfa. Nothing else. It's a cashgrab based on OMG IT'S A ALFA SUV!!!!!!!!!. Yeah nah.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Do an AW11.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Double posting but CT I thought you'd appreciate this.

Guy I work with. 99, original owner (he's 75!), Never modified, original drivetrain, only thing he's done to it is have all the pinhole dents from errant shopping trolleys pulled about 2 years back.

I think at this point he's waiting for GC8s to start climbing before he sells it, he's made it this far.

Thing is a joy to look at though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AAHHHH YISS THATS MY FETISH

Sell it to me in a few years time pls.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Really the best looking of all Imprezas, IMO.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Now that I own an Outback 3.0 H6... I think I like Subarus. I need to try something in manual/turbo flavor. Or at least turbo.
Really wish they’d made the H6 with a manual - it feels like it would be a hoot. It’s not terrible with the automatic, once I convinced the thing that I didn’t want it to go into third immediately, and never downshift for anything. Thankfully it learns a bit.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Darchangel posted:

Now that I own an Outback 3.0 H6... I think I like Subarus. I need to try something in manual/turbo flavor. Or at least turbo.
Really wish they’d made the H6 with a manual - it feels like it would be a hoot. It’s not terrible with the automatic, once I convinced the thing that I didn’t want it to go into third immediately, and never downshift for anything. Thankfully it learns a bit.

I think you could get them with the STi 6 speed here in the 3.0 Spec.B and maybe a few other variants. Probably the "tuned by STi" variety. Apparently it really comes to life when you can wring it out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

As far as I know we didn't get such fun things, so I'll either have to swap an H6 into something, or a manual into an H6 car (which as far as I know, only the Outbacks got here in the US of A.) 'Sokay, the turbo 2.5 makes almost as much HP stock, and makes choo-choo noises to boot. I like the "Subaru noise", too, which the H6 lacks - though it can sound 911-ish with a proper exhaust. I'd look for a Forester XT, but my daughter turns 18 in November and will need a cheap, decent beater first. Thankfully, Texas is the land of no rust, so cheap running, driving cars are pretty easy to find. Working AC is a must, though.
Anyhow, enough of that - don't want to poo poo up CI's thread any more than that. I'll be posting those adventures over in my thread and the chat thread.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah, they definitely could be had with a manual behind the H6. Friend has an 06 liberty B spec sedan lurking in his garage with the EZ30 and 6 speed manual behind it. It’s the same manual as the STI got just minus the tricky centre diff. Which can be swapped in if the Internet it to be believed

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Ferremit posted:

Yeah, they definitely could be had with a manual behind the H6. Friend has an 06 liberty B spec sedan lurking in his garage with the EZ30 and 6 speed manual behind it. It’s the same manual as the STI got just minus the tricky centre diff. Which can be swapped in if the Internet it to be believed

I think the manual 6 maybe was AUDM only. US never got them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EZ30's came in manual with the Spec.B and the various Blitzen limited editions in Japan and Australia. Maybe Europe, tho I can say for sure. The six speed has some important differences between it and a STI six speed, mostly being it isnt actually as overly strong and being more refined to suit the nature of the Liberty, as well as the front / rear base split is 45:55 rather than 35:65 or 41:59. All Spec.B's ran the R180. I drove a Spec. manual at full attack yeeeeears ago and always thought it was one of the best cars I had ever driven. Honestly, thats where my desire for a Spec.B originally came from, it made such a strong impression.

However yes the trick DCCD can indeed be retrofitted, it's basically the same casing (actually all WRX 5 speeds can be retrofitted with DCCD if you know the parts to get....). I think the Blitzen actually had DCCD.

Pity the day it came for myself to get a Spec.B as chronicalled in this thread , I got a turd :(

I've said it before that the Levorg is very much a reimaging of a Spec.B.... however there is no doubt the 2004 version has a MUCH better sorted suspension.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Spec B here had the 2.5 turbo and 6 speed based on the STI, not the split case, with longer gear ratios and less fancy diffs. TY856WWEA for example.

I did a writeup on the 5 speed DCCD swap into a non-DCCD 5 speed once. It started with "it's 2018, don't do this"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hi. Havent posted in this thread for a while mainly due to higher priorities and... well not even in Australia.

I do have cat pics to post. Probably tomorrow after I do a few important things. Oh yeah and Canada is waaaaaaaay nicer in summer

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Meet Lily.

She's a big floof. Still not as big as Jack and nor she she even close to the departed over the rainbow bridge Stig even at the end of his life. Stig was one HELL of huge monster.

Lily may not make the journey to Australia one day because she doesnt like heat. We're not yet decided... but what cats are mine are tomorrow hers and what cat she has is mine

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lily may not make the journey to Australia one day because she doesnt like heat. We're not yet decided... but what cats are mine are tomorrow hers and what cat she has is mine
Awwww. Congrats, btw.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh god why do I even..... yeah nah not this time I know exactly what I'm doing and why :)

Been quite a week all things considered :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Probably best to know what you're doing when you do that! Not quite as permanent as it once was, but still pretty involved. :)
Congrats, my man.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Congrats, man. Such an adorable couple :3:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god why do I even..... yeah nah not this time I know exactly what I'm doing and why :)

Been quite a week all things considered :)

Congratulations old chap. How good is she at rebuilding Subaru motors?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
More importantly, how many sets of new in box 12A rotor housings did she have in her basement?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Zero, but she has a nice pedal bike or two so Cat's all about it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWD BRZ status -

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/2331156433772033/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/532855514184220/

MOAR AWD_BRZ status

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Just wanted to say I read your entire thread and it has been a wild ride. Glad to see you pushed through some dark times and are doing a lot better now. I'm living my crazy Subaru dreams vicariously through you. I might dabble in meth injection on my 15' STI (EJ257)and I was wondering if you have any experience with that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mustard_tiger posted:

Just wanted to say I read your entire thread and it has been a wild ride. Glad to see you pushed through some dark times and are doing a lot better now. I'm living my crazy Subaru dreams vicariously through you. I might dabble in meth injection on my 15' STI (EJ257)and I was wondering if you have any experience with that?

Thank you :) - yeah it's certainly been a few interesting years, both dark and pretty drat good.

I dont personally have experience with meth injection on a EJ257 (.... that didnt sound good did it?) but I know people that have. Mostly it's a drat good charge cooler esp if you are not using E85. If you are on E85, no point. Meth injection allows more aggressive timing as it is a great knock inhibitor too. But if you have access to E85, that's the way to go rather than meth injection

Cautionary tale tho - one the people I who did it had the injector before the turbo and fractured a feed line, spraying methanol onto the turbo. That... pretty much ended exactly like you imagined.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Rule of thumb for modern intakes is the best way to handle methanol injection is to set it up like a set of secondary injectors (so as close to the valves as possible) as modern intake manifolds are not designed to flow liquid. In a Subaru you could put them further out than most other intakes, since they do have a noticeable vertical drop space before the head, but there wouldn't be much benefit except maybe from a packaging standpoint.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Unfortunately I don't have access to E85 where I am. My plan was to use a throttle body spacer just before the intake but after the throttle body. I didn't want it pooling in the intercooler or washing down the throttle body. Is this a good idea?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mustard_tiger posted:

Unfortunately I don't have access to E85 where I am. My plan was to use a throttle body spacer just before the intake but after the throttle body. I didn't want it pooling in the intercooler or washing down the throttle body. Is this a good idea?

Trying make this mentally work as the actual Subaru throttle body is after the IC on the intake manifold. Did you mean the MAF?

Well been a while but....

Cleaned up one of the car parts piles / brush and trash clearing. Funnel Webs galore and also one very startled and hence pissed off Death Adder. Unfortunatly it lunged for a lawnmower, where the very startled operator decided that mowing said Death Adder might be a wise idea. It probably was..... but the resulting BLORCH of snake bits flying wasnt.

.... any progress? No. But it was good to open the WReckX up and begin the list again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Selling a few cameras, need to replace one that is broke so.....

Cat pics of course. It's with the nasty kit lens (EF-M 15-45 IS STM) in awful light but Canon have really caught up in mirrorless - the new 32mp sensor is clearly excellent too. I can already make it outperform the big rear end cameras in the crappy indoor light and it's waaaaaay beyond my Sony. I can barely wait to put on a good lens and see what this sucker can really do

(Canon M6 mk II. Yeah I know it's not exactly a camera you would think I would get but TBH... it's a lil weapon. I'm going to try it out for motorsport this weekend but I know that it may well outperform even my 1D if the reviews are to be believed.

Just dont expect good video features, the Cripple Hammer got those)