Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Alain Post posted:

Apparently I should try ToEE but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Someday. Maybe even a simulplay.

Good luck. Last time I tried to play that game it crashed 5 times in 30 minutes and once I got past the crashes it corrupted my savegames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

im a known troll, check the postcount

:ughh: i cant believe i let my self fall for this stupid poo poo ..

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Good luck. Last time I tried to play that game it crashed 5 times in 30 minutes and once I got past the crashes it corrupted my savegames.

I grew up with this poo poo. PC Gaming is badass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alain Post posted:

I kind of have to stick with the tactical combat ones because my brain isn't wired to play RT+P games (or RTS games.) Controlling my party in like, BG2 feels like controlling the guy in QWOP to me.

I only managed to beat the game by soloing it with a wizard and getting a bunch of magic equipment really early through judicious use of invis spells.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Apparently I should try ToEE but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Someday. Maybe even a simulplay.

ToEE is a very nostalgic game for me. If you try it, you should definitely use the fan-made mods, at least for the bug-fixing, the original game is among the buggiest games I've played.

e: I believe the group that made it is called circle of eight or smth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wasteland 2 was incredibly disappointing and PoE is just kind of boring. Play Original Sin, Dragonfall and Age of Decadence

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
so many good answers, too bad about wasteland 2 huh? I should probably try some day regardless but for now I'll go fallout 1 then age of decadence. How is the best way to play fallout 1? getting a copy from GOG then using some mod?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Divinity: OS I already wanted to play but I didn't know the latest shadowrun was good, I remember the first one having some lukewarm reception

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

program666 posted:

so many good answers, too bad about wasteland 2 huh? I should probably try some day regardless but for now I'll go fallout 1 then age of decadence. How is the best way to play fallout 1? getting a copy from GOG then using some mod?

GOG, there should be some guides to how to get it to work in high-res on the GOG forums. Play both FO1 and FO2 imo (Fallout 1 isn't really that long of a game)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

program666 posted:

I think it's fun to get stacked int and charisma because there are perks to let you use bigger guns than your strength allows. I think I usually take 5 or 6 strength? I usually dump Endurance and Luck. But the magic of FO1 is pretty much any build can beat the game as long as you know how to play to your strengths.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's kinda well-known but 10 LCK + Jinxed + Unarmed is still really funny to play

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

program666 posted:

or fallout 1? I never played either

fo1 is good wasteland 2 is bad.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

program666 posted:

You dont need a mod for fallout 1.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Speech, small guns, and lockpick are pretty much viable in every fallout

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
age of decadence remembers book of the new sun if you play as an assassin

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
Why don't you play fallout as you would play any other game. just relax and play, no need for builds or advices. just relax. it's a easy game. relax and play.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PaulMorel posted:

age of decadence remembers book of the new sun if you play as an assassin
haha of course it does. Where?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did the Director's Cut make Wasteland 2 suck less? If not, what the hell were they doing?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaulMorel posted:

Why don't you play fallout as you would play any other game. just relax and play, no need for builds or advices. just relax. it's a easy game. relax and play.

Thats what I was trying to say; builds in that game don't really matter

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, I don't care for builds, I was just wondering if there is a mod that fix fo1 problems or something, like the restoration mod for fo2.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

program666 posted:

Oh, I don't care for builds, I was just wondering if there is a mod that fix fo1 problems or something, like the restoration mod for fo2.

I can't even remember any quest bugs off the top of my head. FO2 had a lot more of that stuff.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

program666 posted:

fallout 2 is much worse off than fallout 1 really, i dont think theres anything like that for it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

program666 posted:

Theres a mod that makes it wide screen.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Alain Post posted:

It's kinda well-known but 10 LCK + Jinxed + Unarmed is still really funny to play

I did this for my low int run, pretty epic

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

program666 posted:

The GOG version should have the last official patch applied and that basically fixes everything. Also FO2 just reminded me that people were already making fun of Tom cruise for being a scientologist in the late 90s

Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wasteland 2 was incredibly disappointing and PoE is just kind of boring. Play Original Sin, Dragonfall and Age of Decadence

i like wasteland 2 better than poe but only because rtwp is dumb

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Btw I won't say that Fallout/Fallout 2 are games where "any build is good" because you can still get screwed over by stuff like tagging Energy Weapons at the start without knowing that you probably won't find a single energy weapon for like the entire first half of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Benny D posted:

The GOG version should have the last official patch applied and that basically fixes everything. Also FO2 just reminded me that people were already making fun of Tom cruise for being a scientologist in the late 90s

Fallout 1 having a South Park joke makes me feel old as poo poo.

Dec 26, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Btw I won't say that Fallout/Fallout 2 are games where "any build is good" because you can still get screwed over by stuff like tagging Energy Weapons at the start without knowing that you probably won't find a single energy weapon for like the entire first half of the game.

the whole energy weapons/big guns vs small guns thing is really weird in fo1/2, it never sat well with me that 2 weapon categories just plain don't show up until halfway into the game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

having played a video game before i didnt expect good weapons to show up unitl i got further in

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's absolutely nothing to let you know that energy weapons are inherently superior to Small Guns in the Fallout setting. I don't like FO3 very much but they did the right thing by making the basic laser weapons trash guns for low level characters and it's telling that F:NV followed suit.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i cant think of any games in the nineties where big guns and energy weapons means bad trash you get early but i guess i mostly played quake and doom, where big guns and energy weapons are extremely win

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well it's an RPG and they're separate weapon categories. I mean I assumed Big Guns were good but even then I could accept the argument that it's like assuming Two-Handed weapons in a traditional RPG are inherently superior to daggers or something, when they generally have their own forms of balancing.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ah, i guess im just smarter then you then

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

The gun you use in fallout 2 is called the gauss rifle

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

01011001 posted:

i like wasteland 2 better than poe but only because rtwp is dumb
that's true, but I had much higher expectations for WL2 - I was expecting a follow-up to either/both of Wasteland 1 or Fallout 1, whereas with PoE I was expecting (and got) a Baldur's Gate follow-up and BG was always mediocre so who cares. i loving hate rtwp

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Alain Post posted:

There's absolutely nothing to let you know that energy weapons are inherently superior to Small Guns in the Fallout setting. I don't like FO3 very much but they did the right thing by making the basic laser weapons trash guns for low level characters and it's telling that F:NV followed suit.

I totally agree with you and still I figured energy guns would be a thing for later. I couldn't know for sure but the first thing I did was put all my points in small guns since I thought they would be the most common, so I would be able to deal with combat until I get the hang of the game. But I could be remembering wrong, it was like 20 years ago or something.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that's true, but I had much higher expectations for WL2 - I was expecting a follow-up to either/both of Wasteland 1 or Fallout 1, whereas with PoE I was expecting (and got) a Baldur's Gate follow-up and BG was always mediocre so who cares. i loving hate rtwp

Wasteland 2 was made by inxile who are mega retarded and the head guy is the guy who basically killed off the age of awesome rpgs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're retarded if you didn't think laser and plasma guns or miniguns and bazookas were going to be straight up better than lovely regular guns

Anyway a few of the small guns in FO1 and a whole bunch more in FO2 are extremely good at armor piercing which makes them better than energy/big guns in some cases. Also perks can help if you are determined to be retarded and not put points into energy/big guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Larry Parrish posted:

You're retarded if you didn't think laser and plasma guns or miniguns and bazookas were going to be straight up better than lovely regular guns

Then it should have been in the skill description.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 4, 2015

• Locked thread