Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Page 4 Customs Agent :ussr:

Congratulations... the wait is OVER! Here's another Father & Fun intermission: Shecky plays Papers, Please! Well, he plays for 8 minutes or so, then I take over. But we talk and talk and talk. I actually think it's one of the more interesting chats we've had! And as the link implies, yes, this will be a 2-parter.

(not my image, by the way, but totally worth sharing. i found it here: http://imgur.com/qqbfnAy)

Intermission: Let's Play Papers, Please, part 1

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Also, in case anyone is curious, here's some information on JFK's bunker on Peanut Island... as featured in Father & Fun! (there were financial problems, no surprise to us Floridians!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lly-viable.html

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Good news everyone! Part 2 is ready for Shecky playing through Papers, Please! We don't get too far into it, but we do continue our neat little discussion about the Cold War and also early early early television.

Also you may be noticing a few changes I made in every single post... it turns out there's only 1 C in Shecky. The nickname comes from Shecky Greene (which I knew, but then forgot).

Intermission: Intermission: Let's Play Papers, Please, part 2.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Well... bad news, but also good news (?) everyone! I was transferring to a different school, to pursue a degree in Physical Therapy Assisting, and I just found out I can't make the deadline for the PTA program. So that really sucks. BUT! I'm trying to stay positive and basically the end result is I have a whole year to commit to making Let's Plays at a pretty regular pace.

That's the plan, whether I like it or not. :staredog:

But the numbers don't lie. I know interest has dropped in my LP's. A friend of mine even said my pacing is too slow and I don't talk enough. What I'm trying to say is: I really want to make more LP's. Until something clicks and I get some acting gigs, I really want to entertain everyone. Especially you! So as much as this may hurt, I'm open to suggestions and even criticism. Tell me what I can do to generate interest, and keep that interest. My current plan is to do a solo LP alongside another Father & Fun, so, two updates per week. I want to generate enough of a backlog that if Shecky has acting or whatever and can't record, I can at least post two solo LP videos that week. And as you may notice from the Co-Commentation Station thread, I'd love to chat through other peoples' LPs as well. You can post or PM me, or reach me on on Steam though my name will be slightly censored because you're not allowed to have "steam" in your username, nor, apparently, "steem."

That's the state of my world right now. Good night, and good luck.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 26, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Espresso Steampunk posted:

Also, in case anyone is curious, here's some information on JFK's bunker on Peanut Island... as featured in Father & Fun! (there were financial problems, no surprise to us Floridians!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lly-viable.html

This seems like a conspiracy theory, wow.

But the numbers don't lie. I know interest has dropped in my LP's. A friend of mine even said my pacing is too slow and I don't talk enough. What I'm trying to say is: I really want to make more LP's. Until something clicks and I get some acting gigs, I really want to entertain everyone. Especially you! So as much as this may hurt, I'm open to suggestions and even criticism. Tell me what I can do to generate interest, and keep that interest. My current plan is to do a solo LP alongside another Father & Fun, so, two updates per week. I want to generate enough of a backlog that if Shecky has acting or whatever and can't record, I can at least post two solo LP videos that week. And as you may notice from the Co-Commentation Station thread, I'd love to chat through other peoples' LPs as well. You can post or PM me, or reach me on on Steam though my name will be slightly censored because you're not allowed to have "steam" in your username, nor, apparently, "steem."

I enjoyed your FTL LP :v:
Also good luck on trying to get into PTA, fellow post-secondary rat race buddy!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

This seems like a conspiracy theory, wow.

I enjoyed your FTL LP :v:
Also good luck on trying to get into PTA, fellow post-secondary rat race buddy!

Thanks, and thanks again! I've actually been playing a ton of FTL lately; I've almost beaten the dreaded Normal mode with every ship/variation! :awesomelon:

So I'm thinking about posting more of those videos. And I thought I might put a twist on it, and mostly talk about sex stuff while streaming, just so I can call it Space Smut. But each playthrough takes about 2 hours and I don't know if I have that much to talk about, on any subject, even one so near and dear to my heart! Though it would be a hysterical thing to get internet-fame for doing? And the answer is yes: I DO have to come up with some wordplay for every project I do.

Quick update: this weekend I hope to record the commentary for our final Outlast video! Followed shortly thereafter by our Notes/Docs podcast... wordplay-based-title coming soon (that's what she said).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sorry to find this thread so late in the game. I am glad it exists though and hope to see more of your work!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Sorry to find this thread so late in the game. I am glad it exists though and hope to see more of your work!

Thank you very much, and I'm glad you've found my little LP. Late or not, I will happily claw my way out of obscurity, one user at a time, and I can't do it without you!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Just a fun extra thingy... I took a screenshot of the "Morphogenic Engine" that was written on the marker-board. If anyone is into this sort of thing, maybe let the rest of us know if it makes any sense whatsoever?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
It looks like an actual differential equation (I haven't taken a math class in 8ish years), but it also doesn't look like a very special/complicated one. Nothing worth setting yourself on fire over, anyway.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Sutureself posted:

It looks like an actual differential equation (I haven't taken a math class in 8ish years), but it also doesn't look like a very special/complicated one. Nothing worth setting yourself on fire over, anyway.

Still not sure what makes it an "engine" unless it's some archaic usage of the word.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This a fantastic idea for a LP and I'm really enjoying it. I'd watch the poo poo out of more Father and Fun, especially if you picked something that could tie in with Scheky's history as a journalist or Drug War Correspondent, though I can't think of a particular game off the top of my head.

I also find it really amusing you guys are from South Florida, as I just moved down here less than a year ago, and I'm also a barista.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

This a fantastic idea for a LP and I'm really enjoying it. I'd watch the poo poo out of more Father and Fun, especially if you picked something that could tie in with Scheky's history as a journalist or Drug War Correspondent, though I can't think of a particular game off the top of my head.

I also find it really amusing you guys are from South Florida, as I just moved down here less than a year ago, and I'm also a barista.

Well thank you much! I'm kind of wracking my brains thinking of games, too. Shecky kind of needs to be dazzled by a game for it to hold his attention; whichever we choose, it ought to be sleek and contemporary or he'll zone out, haha.

And you picked a heck of a time to move down here-- it doesn't get much hotter than it is now (well, we top off around 108-degrees). What brings you down this way? Hopefully you're enjoying your job more than I did, but either way, don't get sucked in. Stick to an exit strategy! I worked there way too long, then I "got out" by becoming a yoga instructor... now I'm back in school because of course... being a yoga instructor doesn't always pay the bills. Now I'm cursed to wander the lands after dark, telling my story as a warning to all who will listen... :ghost:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh, I've been down here for a summer already. My folks bought a house down here and NJ is expensive, So I'm taking care of the house down here for them.

For games, I recommend seeing what Shecky might be interested in. Genre, story, subject matter, etc. Even if a game isn't necessarily smooth and fascinating to watch in full, you can always use the power of editing to make it a smoother, more interesting show. Beaglerush managed to take hour long XCOM missions and break them down into like ten~fifteen minute videos that are pretty entertaining. If you don't mind putting a decent amount of effort into it, you could probably make any game able to hold his attention. But definitely see topics and genre type stuff he'd like.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Oh, cool, I'm also from NJ! (though most Floridians are, haha) That's a good call on the editing; I will check out some of those XCOM videos! I know Shecky is big into solving mysteries... he was a PI for a bit and even as a journalist he enjoyed uncovering stuff and digging up clues, etc. I thought he'd really enjoy LA Noire, until I watched a let's play of it. I think the game is too grim for him, and I personally wouldn't much enjoy playing it. Wow, can't believe that was 5 years ago already! But I'm sure there's a good mystery game out there somewhere. Until then, I am waffling back and forth between two options.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Exporting the final episode now! I'll post it on Wednesday, then we'll get cracking on the notes/doc dump. In the meantime, here's a picture Shecky posted on facebook. Shecky, 20 years old, was stage manager for a play starring Jack Palance, who is 6'4 for the record. Some notable things Palance appeared in include Tim Burton's Batman, Young Guns, and City Slickers.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 7, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Turns out I'm a liar, because Episode 16 is ready tonight! This wraps up the storyline, though we have at least one bonus video left for the LP. I can't wait to get cracking on the next project, but Shecky's in a murder mystery thingy so I have to wait until he's got his lines memorized before I can torment him more.

Episode 16 - Do Not Turn The Valve

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just a fun extra thingy... I took a screenshot of the "Morphogenic Engine" that was written on the marker-board. If anyone is into this sort of thing, maybe let the rest of us know if it makes any sense whatsoever?

Near as I can tell the second formulae are about speed in two-dimensions, only written in overly-complex, nonsensical calculus.
dx/dt, long story short, is the calculus of distance over time (remember rise over run?) though these ones also factor in the y for the calculation along with some complex as gently caress third term which can mean anything (mu has a lotta meanings, though it seems to be used as a placeholder value here. That's weird as it should be u. Weirdly, the second placeholder value is v, which IS what calc people do). Real Calc people never leave the y in these cases. There is an entire branch of calculus dedicated to ensuring we're dealing only with x or only with y. So our friends are either lazy, don't give a poo poo, or the writer doesn't know what he's doing :v: (it could be some theorem I don't know admittedly).

Oddly, the formulae don't seem to have a z component. So our "morphogenic engine" works in only two dimensions, as otherwise there should be a dz/dt or something (you could also say that our z can be any value, but that's the mathematical equivalent of the writer throwing the bird).
ALSO! Our X and Y speed is determined by the rate of change of the loving angle theta. What's angle theta? gently caress knows! I guess it's the angle between the x and y components? So not only do we need y to determine our x, we also need

third term = (some magical equation mu/p) * (the rate of change of the rate of change of x with respect to theta)

gently caress me.

The first line seems to deal with our placeholder variables. This is totally wrong, it's like looking at a problem ripped from a differential equations book. When you have a v on one side and v' on the other, you need to integrate both sides. Remember that branch of calc I was talking about? Our friends didn't wanna do that here.
Anyhow, I can't tell you what N is. ditto for 2(pi)p, although 2(pi)r is the formula for the circumference of a circle.

These formula look a lot like formulae taken from calculus and differential equations theorems, only altered to be more complicated.
Also I am irrationally bothered that there is no e anywhere in here. e is a magic variable in calculus and everybody loves it dearly. It is used everywhere.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

That's not a v, by the way, that's a ν. Mu (μ) is a greek M, and Nu (ν) a greek N, so it'd make sense to have those as placeholders. At least I know I've used them when I did calculus/engineering 5 years ago.

First line seems like it's establishing a relationship between the variables and their derivatives, which isn't a sin in and of itself (if f(x) = e2x, I can write that f' = 2e2x => f' = 2f), and that would imply they intend to replace either μ and ν or their derivatives in the next line.

And indeed, the next part of the equation has μ'/ρ² and ν'/ρ. I assume the previous (unseen) part of the demonstration had a few N/2π that disappeared when they replaced the μ and ν.

I'm just not sure why the first line is part of the final result, as it should be hidden with the rest of the math that arrived to that paired movement equation. Similarly, that's not the kinda result I'd see anyone writing down on a white board.

As for what those things look like they'd be about, I could see some practical kinetics problems involving rotations and propulsion engines resulting in a speed equation like that, with d²x/dθ² being the radial acceleration/force? It's kinda gross and I'd hate to have to manipulate that but it seems mundane enough to me. All this inspires me is that the Morphogenic engine is made of rotors and pulleys and its inventor is overly proud of it.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Awww, you guys! I may not have the most posters, but I think I have the smartest posters!

:staredog: :science:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Honestly I'd love if there was a sequel that was horror oriented but was instead about playing as the Wallrider and murdering an Umbrella Corp style compelx of dudes. Still horror themed, but instead of surviving, youre relying on violent murder, and have to maintain a facade of horrific omnipotence to cover up your own weaknesses. It'd be a nice subversion on the established game.

Also, the missing fingers looked less awful to me and more like they were sloppily clipping through the floor.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Heh, I was trying not to look too closely at them fingerz.

Your concept for the Walrider video game sounds great. It could go between sequences where you have to avoid cameras and dogs that detect you, and you pick off troops and crazies while attempting to corner the Important Prey. And then there are sections where you have to defend your host body. There's certainly plenty of material in that concept! And it reminds me of Haunting Starring Polterguy, that old Genesis game where your job is to scare families out of their homes or something... I played the hell out of it but never finished the game.

There are tons of shooting-gallery-style horror/war movies, where people are trapped and being picked off by an alien, or a sniper, or a killer or ghost. But I haven't played any game that has successfully put me in that role. I was hoping the latest Sniper Elite game would do that, but it ended up disappointing the hell out of me. Sneaking around until I get an eyestrain headache, fire a couple bullets, then everyone's converging and I'm supposed to run, rinse, and repeat. No thx!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Honestly I was kinda thinking of how you can 'scare' enemies in the Arkham games (but not super really, which I find kinda disappointing), and the game being kinda based around the Predator sections. Like you're not actually an unkillable monster, but your goal is to come across as an unkillable piece of nightmare fuel. So it works kinda similar. You're sneaky, not to hide, but to scare. You kill a dude, and then get to make some kind of creepy tableau to further spookomize his friends.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
SpookyLizard, you certainly live up to your name!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Well, poor Shecky has been under-the-weather again. We hope that fixing his sleepy-gear will help. But this leads to a few things I wanted to talk to you all about. And "you all" is some heavy Floridaspeak.

1. Obviously the final update about notes/docs has been delayed way longer than is acceptable. I will post it whenever we get it done, but the time has come for me to start up on another Let's Play before I go stir crazy and also lose all my followers. This brings us two...

2. SEX?!? Yeah. I polled my friends. I said, "The only skill I have 100% confidence in is sex, should I talk about it?" The answer was a resounding, shocking, and somewhat-frightening "Yes!" But what game do I play? It has to be something that doesn't require much commentary, so I don't get interrupted too much during gameplay. But it should also be fun to watch, and maybe doable in 4-6 episodes (though I'm hoping it'll turn into some kind of sex-advice viewer-mail situation, in which case I'll just choose another game and keep it rolling). FTL doesn't quite cut it, I don't think. But maybe something like PolyBridge... Anyway, I'm totally open to suggestions! Hence, this post!

Rest assured, I am putting together a very cool LP for Hotline Miami 2, but the Espresso Steampunk Unnamed Sexy Project (ESUSP?) should be a fun diversion and help me learn OBS Studio in the meantime.

3. While these things are being sorted out.... do you want another tabletop-intermission? For Father's Day, I got Shecky the game Bards Dispense Profanity. It's like Cards Against Humanity, but with Shakespeare quotes, because my dad is into Shakespeare. My brother's coming into town next week, so would you be interested in seeing 15-20 minutes of this gameplay? I'd just post it in this thread, I believe.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
And here it is, the FINAL UPDATE to this Let's Play! I had some trouble wrangling Schecky, then I had trouble with a ton of plosive P's (most of which were fixed?) but here you go... our read-through of all the Documents and Notes this game has to offer. It foreshadows some of our memorable bad guys and explains much of the mysterious backstory.

There's also a plug for my next LP! I was hoping to have the thread for my next project ready, so I could link it from here. Alas, OBS is giving me a hard time (I should never have updated it) and I'm also taking a Physics class. So it will be another couple of weeks. But keep your eyes on the "Pose (and Discover) New LP's" thread, because I will be trying to get all eyes on my next project.

Thanks again, everybody, for making this such a lovely experience. Can't wait to entertain you some more! Until then... Episode 17 - All Documents And Notes

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kyu

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Buy

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Y=n

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

/

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yes ]

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Out

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lol whoops

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Ooo, that's the most posts this thread has seen in one day, that's for sure! :toot:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Haha, I've actually watched a bunch of these videos but I haven't commented on anything, so maybe you could see this as paying that all back with added interest or something.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

TWIST FIST posted:

Haha, I've actually watched a bunch of these videos but I haven't commented on anything, so maybe you could see this as paying that all back with added interest or something.

Well-played... well-played indeeeed. Also, glad you liked the videos!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Hurricanes are no joke, but since we're talking about spooky things, and sometimes things that relate to Florida...

Skull image of Hurricane Matthew spooks the Internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks again, everyone! Be starting a new LP (or two) soon enough!

• Locked thread