Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm really glad I decided to check out this LP. It's interesting to listen to your dad open up about a video game, and while Outlast is a game that is kind of fascinating to watch, it is 100% a game I never want to play myself. So, thanks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Depending on if you're planning to continue this series after Outlast, do you have any other games in mind? It seems like you might want to stick with things that either provide a sense of tension, or are otherwise visceral or interesting as "spectator" experiences. If I had to make any general suggestions, I'd say to avoid open world-style slogs in the vein of Ubisoft games, which have a lot of kinda pointless downtime as you traverse from point to point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Espresso Steampunk posted:

As a girl once told me when I asked her out, "Prepare for crushing disappointment." I am planning on taking Schecky through Sleeping Dogs because it's my favorite game and I hope he'd appreciate the writing and cinematic elements. But he has no idea what a sandbox game is so after showing off a few elements I will more or less be speed-running it. I am well aware that it has now been LP'd a whole bunch so maybe it will be the third game, but it's definitely on my list (and I'd love to play it again).

That being said, no idea what other games I'd play. I thought I'd try actually making him play Alien: Isolation, having been introduced to the hide-and-death system, but that'd last a single video. I also thought he'd like rear end Creed 2 because he loves Italy... but that's another open world game and the plot will probably make him tune out. We might do a diversion of single-player Left 4 Dead? And I wanted to show him God Hand but my PS3 died and mkob's run is just absolutely putting me to shame. So... I guess I'm open to suggestions!

Sleeping Dogs will probably be okay. As far as Open Worlds go, it has a lot going on in it as far as interesting visual and audio design goes. The NPC street barks are all really good, and the city is great to look at. I would be concerned about like an Assassin's Creed or a Far Cry, where it's a lot of dicking around from point A to point B.
I think if you do an Assassin's Creed, do Brotherhood, and do it like a mini-series tour guide style with a completed save file. If he's been to Rome, maybe do a thing where you go to the landmarks and ask him how they stack up compared to the real thing? Definitely climb the Colosseum.

How does he feel about Batmans? Arkham Asylum is practically a metroidvania, and is a much more focused experience than the other games in the Arkham series. If you were thinking of doing God Hand, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance could work alright, too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Espresso Steampunk posted:

There are many reasons I would not put my dad through Far Cry, including tits, haha! The AssCreed tour guide thing is not a bad idea! He's not too big into Batman and I must say, I tried Arkham City on PS3 and did not enjoy the experience. I fully admit it's because I sucked at it and I didn't grasp the combat system (I did watch a great LP of it) but I'm not sure I want to dive back into that. Revengeance is a very tantalizing prospect, though. I don't know much about it but I did like what little I've heard. I'll do some research into that!

Lastly, my brother's coming into town for the holidays. I am half-tempted to do a few "family tabletop" videos, maybe even D&D 4e. But it would not be very visually-pleasing, especially since I hesitate to put my family's faces all over the internet. (My first F&F videos got almost 300 views, though my latest have stopped around 60 views each).

I had totally mind-blocked the Far Cry tits until you brought it up just now lol. The Arena girls in FC4 are all like "Eyes up here" when you walk up to them.

Yeah, Revengeance is a total Platinum Game through and through, and pretty much a non-stop weird visual spectacle. If you would have played God Hand, I'd consider Revengeance a valid alternative.

• Locked thread