Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Context: weird indie nerdphone OnePlus5 is infamous for the screens being installed upside down (and the company's insistence that it's not an issue)

Desk Lamp posted:

Apparently dialing 911 causes the OnePlus5 to reboot. I'd think of something else to say about it but that short sentence really says it all.

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm not saying we shouldn't feel empathy. I'm saying we should feel every bit as shocked and horrified when tragedy strikes regardless of the location.

There's a difference between being outraged and feeling horrified, though. More people should be outraged at what's going on around the world every day, but they're never going to feel the way they feel about stuff that happens closer to home. And to some extent probably can't. It'd be paralyzing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dross posted:

I am a white hot ball of activist rage that shines on all parts of the world equally at all times, unlike the slacker sun.

I am also the guy who writes all those articles with headlines that start with "why isn't anyone talking about [thing that plenty of people are talking about]"

Sent from my iPhone

Apart from the word "activist" I thought you were Trump for a minute there

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've inferred that the clapping thing is for emphasis, but it always makes me think of this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxFygFZTqd8

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

vermin posted:

I'm gonna pretend that having emotions in Vulcan society is like sprouting a surprise boner that everyone can see

Delsaber posted:

Every now and then Vulcan school kids get the TV cart rolled into their classrooms and have to watch videos about nocturnal emotions.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A man and his date are dog rapists.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star formation. When you're a star, they let you do it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

funmanguy posted:

That's one hell of a business card.

Not to mention his Law Blog.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jeza posted:

Minor Report

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Antivehicular posted:

I'm pretty sure Smug Al Yankovic is just Jonathan Coulton

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Blurred posted:

Moore will scrape home by a couple of points, but it won't be a narrow victory it will be a minor loving victory.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Don't politicize tragedies*

*if they're caused by a white guy with a gun

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mind the walrus posted:

No one with a brain has a problem with what SMG actually says or thinks, but it's all about how he goes about it. At best you can claim he's some genius troll/puppetmaster, but the truth is a bit sadder--he's a really intelligent, arrogant autistic dude with a special interest in cinema and exceptionally poor social flexibility. That rigidity makes him really enjoyable to read from afar, but if you take the subjects he discusses even a little seriously--or god forbid try to engage him on a topic--you will have a bad, bad time.

Quite true. SMG's initial posts on a subject are usually very insightful analysis, even though I usually disagree with his assessment of how these insights impact a film's quality. But when people start arguing with him, it very quickly becomes an insufferable wall of text to scroll past.

Content:

CommonShore posted:

I clearly remember being impressed the first time I saw a computer which could function without having to insert and swap floppy discs, and I have vague memories of being impressed the first time I saw a computer which could handle two 5 1/4 floppies at once.

World War Mammories posted:

How is your mother, by the way?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I heard once someone tried to give their horse a really long, unpronounceable name, and then for some reason they could play unauthorized games on their Wii.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Screaming Idiot posted:

First of all, I'm just happy to see a school teacher who isn't a kidtoucher. Secondly, if he's a history teacher, he's just boning up on his Benjamin Franklin material.

Oh, I thought that said Benjamin Franklin maternal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Friend posted:

Is Steamed Hams only funny if you've seen the episode or am I missing something else?

Well, like most comedy scenes, it's funnier if you watch it than if you don't... But unlike most Simpsons scenes, there is literally no other context to it, the scene stands alone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"It's the same exact joke!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

jojoinnit posted:

Jeremy spoke in class today :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Re: Frasier

Bust Rodd posted:

Someday I’ll finish the show, but I’d honestly rather rewatch 1-8 than finish 9-10-11

Laterite posted:

David Angell probably wishes he skipped 9-11 too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
No, I don't like Playboy, I just like bunnies so I put a bunny sticker on my car.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah let's all look at this instead.

boner confessor posted:

all the press secs are going to disintegrate in slow motion because they have an impossible job. you simply cannot make trump look good, he is a bastard. you can have all the talking points in the world and then thirty minutes before go time trump comes out and tweets about how he thinks squirrels are motherfuckers or whatever then you have to field a bunch of pro-squirrel questions

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real amazing part is they aired that episode with Crusher orgasming onscreen in a 90's primetime TV slot.

It's not an orgasm, it's just space happiness.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That being said, you can still eat cold cuts if you throw em on a frying pan for a few minutes first. But of course that half defeats the purpose.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This does include my own quote, but the reply is why I'm posting it here.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Allow me to introduce you to intern newbie busy-work level: JAPAN

Sir Lemming posted:

I thought it was Loss, except you have to assemble it yourself like IKEA.

AtomD posted:

When you get to the last panel there's always that little piece missing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well I guess if you're the Gatekeeper...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hate funny shirts so much, I should make a shirt that says, "Hey loser, I don't care about your funny shirt!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the travelling salesman problem

Aaaaaand now I finally understand why I failed that one job interview.

(Apparently none of my CS professors ever showed us an example of that particular problem, or I wasn't paying attention.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd ask for a refund on a CS degree where you never encountered the TSP.

To be clear, I graduated in 2007 and was recently switching jobs -- it's extremely possible I simply forgot about it. It's not like that stuff actually comes up in real work so it would be filed away somewhere in the "don't need" section of my brain for a decade.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wait, he can SEE farts?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

elise the great posted:

I would gently caress that up like a coyote in a rabbit nest. No questions, no hesitations, just utter obliteration, God getting revenge on the dinosaurs. Imagine me, a spy, furtive in the alley as the dark figures close in, knowing I have one chance left to live, looking down at this monstrosity clenched in my hands and knowing that it contains the one secret message that could lose my homeland the war. I would slam dunk that poo poo into my duodenum so hard I’d have to reel my hand back out by the elbow. gently caress you, I WANT THAT THING

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paladinus posted:

More like an old meme that needs to die.

So you'd more-like old-meme-less?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's just the anime-specific version of when someone goes on vacation and then won't shut up about "the way they do things over there".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Behind The Laughter followed by the movie is a pretty logical endpoint for the series.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/498211667818586112?lang=en

twice burned ice posted:

I see the cow made of butter, but what's that yellow thing in the background?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nah, gotta go with White Hot Sphere of Pure Rage.

We don't get to vote on Supreme Court nominees though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek was the original creepy obsessed shut-in magnet. (Just in terms of modern pop culture; I'm sure there were ancient Greek plays or something that served a similar function.) These days, everybody is a creepy obsessed shut-in, so it's all kind of a wash.

Edit: Not sure why I went all the way back to "ancient Greek plays" when I could've easily gone with "books" or "priesthood"

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Oct 3, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paladinus posted:

I really doubt they have that many.

I also doubt their claim to have the lowest prices. I guess that makes me a low cost denier.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"9 out of 10 people can't guess which thread this was from!"

"I wonder how many people will quote this..."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The wording just reminded me of those Facebook things, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jedit posted:

I think you just got whooshed.

What's that sound? It's my aeroplane.