Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

And the final and best one:

xergm posted:

:nms: Aftermath of witnessing the power of God without side shields. :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

One More Fat Nerd posted:

There's a post in that thread a bit earlier from someone very angry about Cards Against Humanity where they discuss volunteering at a ostensibly for-profit game store that's a "registered safe space" and I honestly can't tell if they're trolling. I'd quote it but I'm bad at phoneposting.

Maybe they meant registered safe haven or similar program?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, IIRC he just got tired of it or thought it was promoting imitators and bad forum culture or something. Had he not done that he could have kept going indefinitely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

du -hast posted:

Link pls, I have never heard this tale.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512842

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What happens if Granos calls the police?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Of course this guy just Goebbels up the bait

We just to make him learn not to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC he got the basic concept of different grades of gold from a legit wacko somewhere else on the internet and developed it further for here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

so the system where a total stranger can give instructions to the robot strapped to your dick is flawed because there's an xss exploit on the site that wait can we go back to the first part again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

ever since the discovery of air liquefaction (1895) we have had a simple, cheap, quick, painless, humane method of euthanasia or execution -- making the person breathe pure nitrogen. they just lose consciousness and never wake up with absolutely no other effects. all the stories about nasa astronauts carrying suicide pills, for instance, are fake, because nasa's plan for irretrievable astronauts has always been to turn off the o2 supply while keeping the co2 scrubbers running, with the same effect.

any innovation in the field since then has therefore arisen entirely out of a desire to make executions more painful or gruesome

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought nitrogen caused spasming or something (after the person loses consciousness, so it'd still be humane but kinda horrible to watch) and helium or argon was a better gas for this

Krankenstyle posted:

imagine the inmate's last statement on helium :o:

Splicer posted:

when I killed your brother I talked just like this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After a story about being electrocuted as a child:

Baronjutter posted:

I'm confused about what sort of mess in a yard requires water at all to clean, let alone enough to make pools, and why there'd be a live extension cord in one of those said pools.

Halser posted:

gently caress if I know, I was just a young capacitor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mantis42 posted:

Oh wow, I just realized that Captain Planet is the Chad Toxie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ruflux posted:

I know in GTAV all the animals counted as witnesses, so even if you killed a guy way out in the middle of nowhere, if a bird or a deer or a rabbit happened to see you they'd call the cops on you. It's simultaneously infuriating since the cops in GTAV are terrible cheats with aimbots and wallhacks and stuff, but also hilarious because how and why would anyone set up the witness system like that I just don't know

Marcade posted:

So you play as Granos?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mozi posted:

that's what 'batter down the mast means', obviously you're not an old sea dog like myself

Hell Stink posted:

that's not what 'batter down the mast' means, obviously you're not a 14 year old like myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More like John Bore-man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

freeedr posted:

Someone tell me what song it’s to the tune of

"Particle Man", by They Might Be Giants

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dareon posted:

The fact that octarine is not on the visible spectrum should be a big one. :colbert:

They made a TV adaptation of The City & The City (somehow).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have the quote from a zookeeper about the different reactions various kinds of ape have to finding a loose screwdriver in their enclosure?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

They both look unwell. Maybe they are dying of tb, it could be a Christmas miracle.

Data Graham posted:

The only ethical consumption under capitalism

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

We can't make posts only visible to mods or admins.

I thought there was a command to move a thread to the mod-only forum which had essentially this effect? There are definitely threads that have been deliberately disappeared, first one that comes to mind is the Duke Nukem Forever thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

then some complete rear end in a top hat suggested that when the warheads were gone, the missile itself could do donuts over its target, belching out irradiated exhaust for days.

IIRC they came up with that plan only after realizing that the thing had no off switch nor any feasible way to add one. The least insane alternative would be to ditch it in a deep ocean trench but if you've gotten to the point that you have to put either of those plans into action I doubt there would be anyone left to care which it was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uptime Sinclair posted:

“why yes i have tried lsd”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have the quote collection from a previous GDQ event where it's a glitch-exploiting speedrun of the life of Jesus?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From the NYC thread:

Volmarias posted:

Peregrine falcon, eating a pigeon on 86th and 3rd, apparently doesn't give a poo poo that there's a bunch of people nearby watching it.

Spoilered image

Someone please caption this

Matt Zerella posted:

Ayyyyyy, I'm hawkin hea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clitch posted:

Isn't Zaurg also the "goon in a well"?

That passage is much older than Zaurg, it's just that prophetic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The Prick That Was Promised

The first entry for "goon in a well" in SAclopedia was written in 2009 and another cites a thread from 2006 but the link is broken. A lost ancient text of the forums.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a HOLE here. It's clean now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Duodecimal posted:

I want to say that might have been Hunter Thompson's obit of Jesse Helms...

Found this on Google, not vouching for the site, it was the first result. Not Hunter probably.
https://thewolfweb.com/message_topic.aspx?topic=588874

I'm pretty sure that's an LF original

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

There’s probably a book in explaining all of the ways these forums have influenced today’s culture. One chapter for each notable forum or subforum, go down the list.

I think the best we have right now is this extended interview with several of the SA old guard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Didn't they used to have something like this? Hellbanning or shadowbanning or something like that.

Yes, hellban was a state in which your posts would not be shown to anyone except yourself (you wouldn't even get the ignore list "jerk detected" message, it would be as if you hadn't posted at all). It turns out this is a huge pain in the rear end and resource drain for the forums code/server to do so it fell out of favor and was removed at some point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a namechange thread in YCS where they were offering to rename people after Quake levels. Everyone enthusiastically signed up thinking of the badass fantasy-metal names displayed in-game like "Azure Agony" or "The Grisly Grotto" but then they all got renamed with the boring codenames used internally by the editing tools so for a while there were a bunch of people with names like "E2M1" running around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lmao hon hon hon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cumshitter posted:

Crichton ,just spends so much time talking about stuff that has no meaningful impact on the plot, which from what I can remember is about a bacteria or a virus that only lives in the uppermost part of the atmosphere, making it a non-threat, that eats through human flesh. They figure this out because for a fighter pilot crashes his jet and the mouth piece that attaches to his oxygen mask is, for some reason, made out of a fleshlike rubber material. They somehow figure this out from a crashed jet filled with jet fuel that destroyed the body. It might have been a virus, but viruses don't infect rubber so it had to be a bacteria. Which makes the idea that they are having trouble killing it less believable. There's a scene where they actually do find the cure, but the guy watching the results of 1,000 petri dishes falls asleep and he misses it. This is never revisited as far as I remember and they just find a different solution.

IIRC some of this is backwards. For much of the book the Andromeda Strain is a direct threat to humans at ground level; the fighter crash is the first clue that it's mutating away from destroying human blood and towards eating rubber. The 1000 petri dishes thing is because he told the computer to run literally every test they had on it under every possible parameter value, producing a combinatorial explosion of results, and only later on do they realize what they should have been looking for and discover that it was buried in that pile all along. And by the time they get this sorted out the mutation foreshadowed by the fighter crash has happened to their lab samples and the result isn't helpful.

quote:

There's just so much rambling poo poo that has no impact on anything that in retrospect seems like padding to satisfy a minimum page number for his publisher.

It's a mystery/detective story rather than straight sci-fi so yeah, most of it is detailed descriptions of people competently executing procedures while fumbling around with limited information. And screwing up in boring ways like failing to read incoming news feeds or being called away from the lab at a critical moment. I think it's even presented as a dramatization of a fictional post-crisis debrief document. I liked it when I was much younger but I don't know if I'd have the patience for it today.

That said, Crichton is definitely bad and young me spent way too long giving credence to his climate change denial screed.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Feb 18, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antivehicular posted:

When I was a small child, my mom used to take me to an exotic pet store on the semi-regular, possibly for aquarium supplies but maybe just to let me gawk at the animals. It was one of those tiny, one-crazy-person-type businesses, and I have a very distinct, bizarre memory of catching a glimpse of an emu or rhea running around in the back room. I kind of wonder if it was a dream, because surely even the craziest Exotic Pet Guy in Alaska wouldn't have kept a goddamn emu in the back room, but... who fuckin' knows.

You'd think that, but in the mid-2000s someone was discovered to be keeping a tiger in a Manhattan apartment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are the cats OK?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AFAIK an admin name change does not generate any kind of notification to the user. So if you're logged out at the time you won't be able to get back in until you figure out what your new name is (and that your name being changed is the reason you can't log in in the first place). I'm not sure if it will immediately invalidate your session if you are logged in, the last time I had it done to me was long, long ago.

I have only ever seen it done either in response to an entirely unambiguous request (e.g. posting in a namechange thread) or as a big gently caress you to perennial problem posters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dudeness posted:

I don't have a quote, unless the thread tag can be considered a quote. It is very cool and I have no idea where it came from.

Looks like it came from Traditional Games, which I deduced by observing that its filename is "tg-wizs.gif"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will fight you right now in the street if you dont, as part of your daily regimen, drink a single beer and then eat the can

duz posted:

thats not what people mean when they say they are the goat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*yelling towards lowtax's house* don't give up, skeleton!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amberpos you philistine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quiet Feet posted:

Black & Decker should make a vibrator and call it the Lustbuster.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1264928178281213952

(Entire thread is great)