Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

El Jebus posted:

I thought you posted from your bike while on the road.

I do :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So November has started well, with my washing machine dying. I'm sure it's something simple (I think it's probably the pump, won't drain) but I'm considering just replacing it with a front-loader. This one is a very basic top loader (Whirlpool) that came with the house, and I've gotten over 10 years out of it.

Is a HE front-loader worth it over spending the money to get a repair guy out to fix the old one? I'm guessing it would cost at least the minimum service call plus parts, so a couple hundred bucks, and if I replace it I'd probably just get a $7-800 dollar one, Whirlpool or LG seem to have decent reviews in that price range.

I seem to remember a lot of discussion about washers here a few months ago, but of course I didn't pay attention then because my washer worked fine!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's been raining all day, so I've been laying in bed with Plex + Chromecast + catte.

Added 4TB to my desktop last night. I was down to <10GB free (out of 3.6TB). This should buy me some breathing room for a bit. And maybe let me drop cable, since every TV in the house has either a Roku, Chromecast, or PC hooked up to it.

14 inch posted:

:words: from end of Oct thread

:vince:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Is a HE front-loader worth it over spending the money to get a repair guy out to fix the old one?

At ten years old I'd say yes, especially with the super hard water we have in AZ. It's the route we went when our similarly aged toploader would unbalance every two seconds (and had developed a leak that wasn't yet visible). Got a couple of LG frontloaders at Home Depot on sale.

The pedestals are a loving ripoff, but still better to have them if you don't want to fold in half just to unload it all. Now I'm watching for any black Friday deals on dishwashers, since the racks on mine are rusting and cost $dishwasher to replace. And again, all the wear and tear of a ten year old machine.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The Locator posted:

So November has started well, with my washing machine dying. I'm sure it's something simple (I think it's probably the pump, won't drain) but I'm considering just replacing it with a front-loader. This one is a very basic top loader (Whirlpool) that came with the house, and I've gotten over 10 years out of it.

Is a HE front-loader worth it over spending the money to get a repair guy out to fix the old one? I'm guessing it would cost at least the minimum service call plus parts, so a couple hundred bucks, and if I replace it I'd probably just get a $7-800 dollar one, Whirlpool or LG seem to have decent reviews in that price range.

I seem to remember a lot of discussion about washers here a few months ago, but of course I didn't pay attention then because my washer worked fine!

I had this same situation last year. I wound up replacing my HE front loader with an HE top loader. After using it for a year no, I say gently caress a front loading washing machine. They have smaller capacity and aren't as reliable as a top loader. I paid $450 for my Whirlpool HE top loader from Best Buy..I think it was like $550 and $100 off at the time. On top of that, my energy company had a $150 rebate for purchasing and installing a new HE appliance, so I basically paid $300 for the thing.

It's easily got twice the capacity of the old front loader. It is a little louder, but I can put up with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hrm.. I hadn't really considered an HE top loader, as the reviews I read all mentioned issues with them tangling up and damaging clothes. I'll have to go down to Lowes in a bit and see what they have to choose from in both. Will also have to check into the power company rebate thing, I hadn't even considered that.

Edit: Bah, APS has nothing for washers, only for refrigerators, A/C, insulation, etc.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 1, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

Hrm.. I hadn't really considered an HE top loader, as the reviews I read all mentioned issues with them tangling up and damaging clothes. I'll have to go down to Lowes in a bit and see what they have to choose from in both. Will also have to check into the power company rebate thing, I hadn't even considered that.

Edit: Bah, APS has nothing for washers, only for refrigerators, A/C, insulation, etc.

Speed Queen or nothing.

gently caress front loaders for ever.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Going to start putting the e24 back together. What should I do about the plastics? They're in decent shape but not super black anymore.

Should I wash them and put them back on, or paint them with something? This is primarily the front grills and maybe the bumper surrounds.

I'm still trying to track down a set of world bumpers, and possibly a new airdam.
Thoughts?

Had to tow it since the drat thing refuses to start (has spark and injector pulse, I'm thinking FPR, since it also has fuel, but haven't verified pressure).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Speed Queen or nothing.

Where's your god now?
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-AFN50FS/dp/B0025ZN1FY

Damned nice looking paint.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I used a speed queen front loader at work. :v: Not one of the consumer models, but the giant black ones. I've seen them with a different name, too.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator posted:

Top loaders with no agitators are garbage, they don't work period. If you want a reliable machine that actually cleans your clothes top loaders with agitators are the best, yeah they use a bit more water but who cares, the savings in repair bills will offset it by a huge margin. gently caress electronics, you can pry analog controls from my cold dead hands.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Speed Queen or nothing.

Quoted for truth.

If I was going to buy a front loader drat straight it would be a Speed Queen. But their top loaders are superb and are a lot cheaper

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I bought my second hand washing machine about 8 years ago for £25. I've just realised that this means that it has outlasted around 6 of my cars. Clearly one of my more sensible purchases!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

The Locator posted:

Might be something as simple as the belt. Tip it up or pop the front panel off and check.

BrokenKnucklez and leica are right. Speed Queen is where it's at, but they are $$$$. Our basic front load machine is $1300, and the absolute cheapest top load machine is $800 new.

CharlesM posted:

I used a speed queen front loader at work. :v: Not one of the consumer models, but the giant black ones. I've seen them with a different name, too.

You'll see them as Ipso and Huebsch too. It's all part of Alliance Laundry Systems out of Ripon, WI. The small chassis and hard mount machines are made there, and the big soft mount machines are made in the Czech Republic.

They get pretty loving big too. We just won the bid to source and install two 275 lb capacity soft mount washers at a prison here in Georgia. They weigh 8200 lbs each. We're getting new pallet jacks just for this job. They're each basically an 8ft cube.

bandman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 2, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So my very first E30 was super clean, straight, and rust-free, probably would be worth around $5-6k today being in Wisconsin. This was pretty much the first car I had that brought me into the world of cars and getting my hands dirty, my first automotive love basically. I sold it to a work-friend at the time for dirt cheap like 5 years ago because I was dumb and frustrated with a transmission issue, which I could have definitely solved myself if I had been patient. He turned it into a drift missile and beat the ever-living gently caress out of it, destroyed all of the body panels, gutted the entire thing, etc. At least it got an M50 swap with a big-rear end turbo, so that was kind of neat. Well he had a poo poo year on the midwest drift union tour, whatever the gently caress it is. He put the car into a wall, HARD, and multiple times. It's getting scrapped now. My poor car :(

At least I finally got off my rear end and finished putting together some of the front end on my current E30, and got it off of jack stands and back onto the ground today. :unsmith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I finally figured out how to make a proper curry with that good kind of spicy that doesn't affect your tongue as much as it affects your mucus membranes through the air and through eating it and it loving rules

a pic of my slightly undercooked curry

My wife was in the other room dying but it's so goddamn good

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got a 3D printer? Need something relatively small printed out, and certainly willing to send some cash your way

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love Macklemore and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

May some one burn in hell for this sin.

Rhyno posted:

I'm strangely ok with this statement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm strangely ok with this statement.

gently caress a bus pass you got a moped man

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Tide posted:

Anyone got a 3D printer? Need something relatively small printed out, and certainly willing to send some cash your way

Geirskogul(sp? Sorry phone posting) does.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

El Jebus posted:

With pineapple? Interesting. I haven't had many beers with pineapple in them and most were not great as a result. I could see it working with a triple or double that has a lot of banana from high temps.

Yeah this has generally been my experience, an upscale grocery store near me had some pineapple infused light lager on draft over the summer and it was basically like drinking fizzy pineapple juice. Not bad, but not what I look for in a beer. I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise, but my wife and I were going to split a 4 oz glass of their quadruple aged with raspberries and vanilla beans but they gave us all four on the house.

The other two were brown ale aged with clementines, vanilla and ginger and another brown ale with chocolate graham crackers and marshmallows, if anyone's curious. If you live in eastern/central PA or western NJ it's definitely worth the trip.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

My friend and I will shout "DOWNTOWN" at eachother on nights out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

My friend and I will shout "DOWNTOWN" at eachother on nights out.

neighbors yellin at me like you need to slow down
going 38 dan chill the gently caress out
mow your drat lawn and sit the hell down

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

neighbors yellin at me like you need to slow down
going 38 dan chill the gently caress out
mow your drat lawn and sit the hell down

I just watched that music video again. There's some super AI motorcycle poo poo in it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I found out that the person whose job I'm taking tried to pin his fuckup on me and claim I stole the deposit and start up bags for my drawer (or tossed them in the trash or something). Boss laughed at him and told him to gently caress off since she watched one of the other guys on my drawer do the end of the day stuff on it while I was taking care of the delivery vehicles. I'm no longer the least bit sorry he got canned and I'm thouroghly pleased with myself for asking for his job the way I did. First night closing went awesome and my co-worker who would normally be stuck closing with him was over the moon to have someone working with him that would actually help with the cleaning and closing poo poo. :black101:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

I just watched that music video again. There's some super AI motorcycle poo poo in it.

Honestly I don't know nuthin about mopeds.

800 cash that's a hell of a deal.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yo that Eric Nally can loving sing. I thought a chick was singing until I looked him up. Weird Michael Jackson / Freddy Mercury vibe.

SHE GOT 1988 MARIAH CAREY HAIR VERY RARE MOM JEANS ON HER DERRIERE

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tusen Takk posted:

I finally figured out how to make a proper curry with that good kind of spicy that doesn't affect your tongue as much as it affects your mucus membranes through the air and through eating it and it loving rules

a pic of my slightly undercooked curry

My wife was in the other room dying but it's so goddamn good

How?

I want lamb vindaloo so god drat bad, but I hate having to order out for it.

Also on kind of a similar note, the sushi place we go to now regularly has fresh, real wasabi. It's so loving good. Your tongue doesn't burn at all, but as soon as you bite a chunk of it your sinuses and tear ducts feel like they just got hit with electricity.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I loving love Indian food. Also Mexican food. My wife has pushed me onto the road towards enjoying spicy food and it is a delicious journey to undertake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Honestly I don't know nuthin about mopeds.

800 cash that's a hell of a deal.

Paid 900 for mine :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Paid 900 for mine :smug:

I'm quoting! Watch the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhoLcsr8GA

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

How?

I want lamb vindaloo so god drat bad, but I hate having to order out for it.

Also on kind of a similar note, the sushi place we go to now regularly has fresh, real wasabi. It's so loving good. Your tongue doesn't burn at all, but as soon as you bite a chunk of it your sinuses and tear ducts feel like they just got hit with electricity.

I found a super helpful post on Reddit about it ironically

quote:

On the other hand, most Anglo-Indian food (familiar to Americans and British) is in the form of "curries" which use a slow-cooked dairy base (butter, milk, and/or cheese), and are spiced with dried ground or whole chile peppers. As a result, when you first taste them the fat conceals the capsicum from your tongue, gradually revealing it as your saliva breaks it down. Hence the "slow burn".

I guess the crux is that Thai food uses fresher peppers and highly acidic stuff while Indian uses very fatty things and dried spices in order to achieve the same thing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Fallout 4 coming out in 9 days. What is it called when you live in the city where some fiction is set? That-citying it? That's me in 2 weeks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I know, just think it's funny that this came out shortly after I got mine. My wife thinks it's hilarious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mafoose posted:

(Sorry phone posting)
Posting random walls of text from Miata.net?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
You nerds might appreciate this;

Just finished a PiDP-8 kit as made by this guy - I personally prefer the name PDP-8/pi, but that's splitting hairs and :spergin:

For those of you who aren't gigantic nerds, this is a 1/2 scale replica of a late 1960s DEC PDP-8/I minicomputer control panel, with a raspberry pi driving the LEDs and reading the switches whilst running a PDP-8 emulator. It has a serial port you can hook up a terminal to and everything! link above has more info.

It's so adorable and it works really nicely, clicky feel on the switches - only annoyance is that a couple of the switches are meant to be momentary while all these are toggle switches, but you can't win 'em all.

Now I just need to find an old VT220 or similar small-CRT-dumb-terminal to hook up to it and play spacewar! on.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

You mean Cycle Asylum, they keep us locked up for a reason!

E: Second floor! I'm so bad at keeping up with chat threads, I can go a week without noticing a new thread!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So Phoenix just (well, 30 minutes ago) had a 4.1 earthquake. Apparently the end times are upon us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

The Locator posted:

So Phoenix just (well, 30 minutes ago) had a 4.1 earthquake. Apparently the end times are upon us.

My friend on the Phoenix complained about this moments ago! If it's anything like the ones in Irving (DFW Metroplex) it may be good ol hydraulic-fracturing related quakes... Arizona is an oil state, right?

• Locked thread