Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

Any recommendations for a decent set of MTB tyres that would be OK on the road but not be completely useless off road? My current ones are a bit chunky for the road.

I need to get back on my bike - I'm quickly spiralling through my 30's and my fitness is in the shitter. I do get some exercise walking up hills for work but not enough lately - my colleague who smokes like a chimney but runs an hour a night keeps leaving me in the dust!

I've barely ridden my bike, it's a 12 year old Kona Blast and it's still got the original tyres and pads, tyres are still good but the brakes are completely fried!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Be prepared to do it again in 5 years. And again in 10 years. And again in...

I'm fine with that..it was a 20 minute job.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

stump posted:

Any recommendations for a decent set of MTB tyres that would be OK on the road but not be completely useless off road? My current ones are a bit chunky for the road.

I need to get back on my bike - I'm quickly spiralling through my 30's and my fitness is in the shitter. I do get some exercise walking up hills for work but not enough lately - my colleague who smokes like a chimney but runs an hour a night keeps leaving me in the dust!

I've barely ridden my bike, it's a 12 year old Kona Blast and it's still got the original tyres and pads, tyres are still good but the brakes are completely fried!

Honestly, you can get away with a lot of poo poo running road tyres with even a mild tread off-road. I'm using a lovely set of thai tyres with a similar tread pattern to Vittoria Roadsters (without the central cut) and I regularly take it down a hardpack mountain trail. You've gotta take it easy on the off-camber corners and deal with a bit of skidding when braking but otherwise I can still hold a decent bit of speed. That said I am looking to put on a slightly more aggressive set of rubber soon since the current tyres are about due for replacement and I want to be able to hit the jumps without having to slow down so much.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a set of these DMR Supermotos on the mountainbike that I commute to work on because I'm too lazy to measure the broken spoke on my road bike.

They're certainly not mud tyres but general off road on hard pack they're fine for. Roll real nice too.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you want something slightly more aggressive I have some Conti RaceKings which roll okay on the road and have gotten me round Bike Park Wales a few times too. The only issue I have with them is the tread knobs get wrecked super quickly if you're clumsy and lock the back brake a lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Bro, do you even squat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

WHATEVER DAD

FINE HERE'S CABLE MANAGEMENT ATTEMPT V2

:ohdear: I don't think I did this right.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I know this is from a couple pages ago but it's important:

The Locator posted:

I bit the bullet on an entire new build, i7-6700K, GTX 980, Samsun EVO 500GB, 16mb RAM. The video card and SSD arrived yesterday (Amazon Prime) most of the rest arrives Tuesday the 1st when I'll be at work, so hopefully nobody absconds with it from my doorsteap, except for the CPU, which won't get here until Thursday... Guess I know what I'll be doing on Friday, which I have off!

Currently planning to stay with Win 7 Pro, but I might change my mind and get the free Win 10 update finally, who knows.

Keep in mind with Z170 that the only USB support you get on Win7 before installing the chipset/USB drivers is keyboard and mouse - they removed an old version of the USB controller spec so now it's XHCI-only, no EHCI.

Linky with explanation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/intel-skylake-z170-motherboards-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro scroll down to "Chipset Power and Installing Windows 7"

Yes, this does make it practically impossible to install the drivers without either another system to put your hard drive in or a CD/DVD drive (which aren't super common anymore) - I'd recommend just going straight to 10, tbh.
I pulled it off by doing the install on my old computer and downloading the drivers on it, then transferring the drive over and installing the relevant drivers - a bit of a hackjob, but it worked.

The Locator posted:

Good idea. Yes, I have full version of 7, 64 bit professional, even have the box with disk and key sitting right here waiting for the new machine. Once I re-install it to he new build, I'm sure I'll get the annoying pop-up to upgrade to Windows 10 again, and then I can accept instead of removing it from the update and registry. As you said, if I really dislike it I can roll back to 7.

My current plan is to clean install the OS to the EVO SSD on the new machine, and then once it's done with all the upgrades and stuff, add the hard drives from my existing machine, move everything from the current 1TB boot drive (other than the OS folder, so about 300-350mb of stuff) to one of the other drives, and then format the drive clean.

Is there a reason to limit the total number of separate drives in the system these days? My current system has 4 drives - 1TB boot drive, 1.5TB storage drive, a 120GB SSD that I used for games (but was too lazy to ever set up as a boot drive) and a 4TB storage drive. I figured to move all of the storage drives, but not the 120gb SSD to the new system as generic storage. Some day I should get a set of identical drives and set up a RAID to protect all my terribly unimportant poo poo from a drive loss (and to back up the SSD to).

See above :V There's no real reason to limit the number of separate drives. Just don't partition the drives into multiple partitions.

Oh are we posting internal shots? Just prior to HDD/SSD installation:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

angryhampster posted:

I'm fine with that..it was a 20 minute job.

Agreed :) At least they made it easy!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

Keep in mind with Z170 that the only USB support you get on Win7 before installing the chipset/USB drivers is keyboard and mouse - they removed an old version of the USB controller spec so now it's XHCI-only, no EHCI.

Linky with explanation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/intel-skylake-z170-motherboards-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro scroll down to "Chipset Power and Installing Windows 7"

Yes, this does make it practically impossible to install the drivers without either another system to put your hard drive in or a CD/DVD drive (which aren't super common anymore) - I'd recommend just going straight to 10, tbh.
I pulled it off by doing the install on my old computer and downloading the drivers on it, then transferring the drive over and installing the relevant drivers - a bit of a hackjob, but it worked.

See above :V There's no real reason to limit the number of separate drives. Just don't partition the drives into multiple partitions.

Oh are we posting internal shots? Just prior to HDD/SSD installation:

How are you liking the liquid cooling on the CPU? That's been on my "to tinker with" list for a while but haven't been able to find anything that I like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I really want to go nuts and run a peltier cooler setup.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

scuz posted:

How are you liking the liquid cooling on the CPU? That's been on my "to tinker with" list for a while but haven't been able to find anything that I like.

Are you thinking about overclocking? It's not really needed unless you plan to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've got an AMD 9590 I need to get a Motherboard and PSU for :getin:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I can't decide if I want to get a GTX 970 today or not. None of the deals seem great enough that they wouldn't be there any other day

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nodoze posted:

I can't decide if I want to get a GTX 970 today or not. None of the deals seem great enough that they wouldn't be there any other day

pro tip: "Cyber Monday" has always and will always be terrible.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

pro tip: "Cyber Monday" has always and will always be terrible.

Even the black friday deals weren't that impressive

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All the black Friday deals were pretty much matched by Amazon, so if you camped overnight at Best Buy for a TV you're stupid.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yay got hit on my way to work this morning.

Check your loving mirrors and over your shoulders before you change lanes into a loving motorcycle Jesus Christ.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

All the black Friday deals were pretty much matched by Amazon, so if you camped overnight at Best Buy for a TV you're stupid.

If you camp outside a shop, ANY shop you're stupid.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

Yay got hit on my way to work this morning.

Check your loving mirrors and over your shoulders before you change lanes into a loving motorcycle Jesus Christ.

lovely, hope you are ok and the bike is well insured. I'll go check the crash thread for details...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

literally a fish posted:

Thanks for this, I had no idea. Maybe I'll put the new SSD in my existing system and make it the boot drive with a clean install on it, upgrade to 10, and then transfer it. Although I do have a CD/DVD drive in both the old and new system, so I could do it like the article says also.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

leica posted:

Yeah for sure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

88h88 posted:

If you camp outside a shop, ANY shop you're stupid.

Actually last year Target had a deal on the brand new iPad that was $180 less than anything Amazon did and a $100 gift card with purchase.

And 5 years before that I got an engine hoist at Harbor Freight for like $79 so it was absolutely worth camping out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Actually last year Target had a deal on the brand new iPad that was $180 less than anything Amazon did and a $100 gift card with purchase.

And 5 years before that I got an engine hoist at Harbor Freight for like $79 so it was absolutely worth camping out.

But did you have sex on the engine hoist yet

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nodoze posted:

But did you have sex on the engine hoist yet

He can't be that heavy! (love you Rhyno)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Goober Peas posted:

He can't be that heavy! (love you Rhyno)

I bet his penis is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bucephalus posted:

I bet his penis is

Why do you think I needed the hoist?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

Why do you think I needed the hoist?

To get off the floor? :downsrim:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

lovely, hope you are ok and the bike is well insured. I'll go check the crash thread for details...

Thanks man. Yeah I posted a bit in there

Looks like just rash and a really loving bad sprained ankle. Probably gonna have a wicked loving neck ache later, too. Head hit pretty good. Nice gouges on the face shield.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

iwentdoodie posted:

Looks like just rash and a really loving bad sprained ankle. Probably gonna have a wicked loving neck ache later, too. Head hit pretty good. Nice gouges on the face shield.

I hope you feel better soon and the insurance treats you decently.

and also, i know you know this, but get a new helmet

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
^^^ You came back just to beat me to suggesting a new helmet, didn't you? ^^^

iwentdoodie posted:

Hit by a car and nothing broken is pretty drat good. Also now you can shop those sweet new Bell 6D or whatever that are the new hotness. I keep hoping my wife knocks my helmet onto concrete or something so I can upgrade with her blessing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

literally a fish posted:

Follow up on this - Why does it really matter if I don't have USB support during the install as long as the keyboard and mouse work? The only USB devices I have are things I don't need during the install, can't I just install 7 from the CD/DVD drive which is SATA, and then do the upgrade to get the USB support enabled after it's upgraded to 10?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

stump posted:

If your tires are original and 12 years old, even if they have tread on them they are not still good. New, good quality tires will make such a huge difference.

XC race tires roll well on hard surfaces. I've gone through a few sets of maxxis ikons and they do pretty well for what they are. Kenda small block 8 is another comparable tire and comes in more sizes. And then for some cyclocross courses (mostly grass and hardpack for example) I use a semi-slick on the rear, which has side knobs for cornering but is basically slick in the center to roll faster.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

^^^ You came back just to beat me to suggesting a new helmet, didn't you? ^^^

Hit by a car and nothing broken is pretty drat good. Also now you can shop those sweet new Bell 6D or whatever that are the new hotness. I keep hoping my wife knocks my helmet onto concrete or something so I can upgrade with her blessing.

Yep. Gear works. Without the boots my ankle would have been shattered most likely. If it had been summer I probably wouldn't have even had rash. It's just from where my jacket rode up and I slid like a god drat retarded dreidel.

I really want one of those obnoxious rear end Icons with the glow in the dark eyes. Or another AGV since it obviously just saved my rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

I'm not honestly sure what the best path to move Win10 upgrade to a new PC is. Does seem like a bit of a pain to make you install 7 first, then re-upgrade. Maybe with the registered key there is an iso you can download for fresh installs?

Once you've upgraded a machine, that machine's ID is registered with Microsoft for Win 10, and you can do a clean install. Only way to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, I think (upgrading installs 32-bit if your current OS is 32-bit). There is a tool to download the ISOs and/or make a Win 10 boot/install thumb drive. The tool works on un-upgraded Win 7 machines, so you don't have to upgrade first. You can download the tool from the link to "upgrade now" in the Win 10 systray annoyance, or just go here. The section under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" is what you want.

edit:
My PC looks like this inside :smug: :

(not my actual machine, but since they all look alike...)

Seriously. I dual boot Mac OS 10.10 and Win 7 on one, and my other one is an older Mac Pro that will only go up to 10.6, but I Win 10 runs great on it, even without any official Apple drivers. I may bump the newer one to 10. It spends 90% of it's time in Win 7 anyway.
I'd love to have an Intel i-whatever and all the Megahertz (my newer Mac Pro is a 4-core Xeon something-or-other at 2.8GHz), but I'm poor-ish, and this was a cast-off from work. I don't game on it much anyway - I use my Xbox 360, One, and PS3 for that. This thing does a little video conversion and bittorrent, mainly.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cheers for the tyre suggestions, something like the Kenda small block looks like what I was thinking of 👌

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

Once you've upgraded a machine, that machine's ID is registered with Microsoft for Win 10, and you can do a clean install. Only way to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, I think (upgrading installs 32-bit if your current OS is 32-bit). There is a tool to download the ISOs and/or make a Win 10 boot/install thumb drive. The tool works on un-upgraded Win 7 machines, so you don't have to upgrade first. You can download the tool from the link to "upgrade now" in the Win 10 systray annoyance, or just go here. The section under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" is what you want.

So this will work to install on a new, blank drive that's newly being added to a machine?

Went ahead and ordered the SSD, sticking with the 850 EVO since it's been so good on my laptop.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Drove with my new winter tires for the first time today and... it was interesting. Normally when it's raining I just take it a bit easier but now at couple of points it was actually kind of scary. First there's a slightly curved section of the highway which usually gets noticeably windy. Except this time, despite making minor corrections, it was basically being blown out of my lane, and since I felt I had very little extra grip, I just went with it and lowered speed some more. Then there's a decreasing-radius right-hand offramp that I can normally take at above 70 km/h. I'm pretty sure I was down to 50 or lower and I still felt like I wouldn't make the tighter part so I aborted the attempt and went straight instead :v:

I'm sure they're actually not that bad, but there's definitely a very different feeling compared to AD08s that will take a bit to get used to. Too bad there's nowhere to go to safely check out the limits of the new tires.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mobby_6kl posted:

Drove with my new winter tires for the first time today and... it was interesting. Normally when it's raining I just take it a bit easier but now at couple of points it was actually kind of scary. First there's a slightly curved section of the highway which usually gets noticeably windy. Except this time, despite making minor corrections, it was basically being blown out of my lane, and since I felt I had very little extra grip, I just went with it and lowered speed some more. Then there's a decreasing-radius right-hand offramp that I can normally take at above 70 km/h. I'm pretty sure I was down to 50 or lower and I still felt like I wouldn't make the tighter part so I aborted the attempt and went straight instead :v:

I'm sure they're actually not that bad, but there's definitely a very different feeling compared to AD08s that will take a bit to get used to. Too bad there's nowhere to go to safely check out the limits of the new tires.

You absolutely have to decrease your speed in dry/wet weather with Winter tires. Depending on the type and brand, it could feel like you're driving on tiptoes. Some Winter tires don't show that behavior as much, but there's a chance of it. Either way, your dry and wet cornering are decreased... and don't push them, because the best performance from Winter tires comes as they are new. There is a softer, gripper compound on the outer side of the tread.

Basically -- slow down until snow comes, then go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Will they not need run for about 500 miles to scrub the mould release compound off?

Got some new winter fitted to the work car today and given the wheel spin when I pulled off they didn't feel a grippy as the balding winters that were just on there.

Winters aren't amazing in the wet but they aren't as bad as cheapo Spinlong Hedgefinders in my experience.

• Locked thread