Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

scuz posted:

How are you liking the liquid cooling on the CPU? That's been on my "to tinker with" list for a while but haven't been able to find anything that I like.
When I built my latest rig last year I tried water, but the way the case was setup basically made it impossible. Now I just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Computer chat again, haha...

I'm running a quality c. 1992-2008 build, myself. Intel Q9450 (4 cores yo!), 8GB RAM, Asus P5E64 WS Evolution motherboard, like an 80GB HDD because I don't even have a torrent program on my system (seriously, it's got like 60GB free), and five, count em, FIVE Quadro NVS290 video cards*. Each dual output. All y'all who have less monitor outputs on their computer than they have fingers are loving scrubs :smug:

And it's all stuffed into a hugenormous InWin Q500 case from the early 90s that I'm pretty sure will survive a nuclear attack.

* I don't game, so I don't really need 3d acceleration. All I need is monstrous amounts of screen real estate for my electrical engineering CAD software. These cards are $25-30 each refurbed on amazon and you can get them in PCIe x1 and x16, so you can use drat near every slot on a modernish motherboard.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

Thanks man. Yeah I posted a bit in there

Looks like just rash and a really loving bad sprained ankle. Probably gonna have a wicked loving neck ache later, too. Head hit pretty good. Nice gouges on the face shield.

You gone to a doctor yet?
I got hit by a car on my bicycle a few weeks ago, and I felt mostly fine other than impact damage. Now my neck is on fire, my back can't stand for more than 30 minutes without pain, and I have to go to physical therapy.
Take care of yourself, use ice, and keep motrin handy.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Computer chat again, haha...

I'm running a quality c. 1992-2008 build, myself. Intel Q9450 (4 cores yo!), 8GB RAM, Asus P5E64 WS Evolution motherboard, like an 80GB HDD because I don't even have a torrent program on my system (seriously, it's got like 60GB free), and five, count em, FIVE Quadro NVS290 video cards*. Each dual output. All y'all who have less monitor outputs on their computer than they have fingers are loving scrubs :smug:

And it's all stuffed into a hugenormous InWin Q500 case from the early 90s that I'm pretty sure will survive a nuclear attack.

* I don't game, so I don't really need 3d acceleration. All I need is monstrous amounts of screen real estate for my electrical engineering CAD software. These cards are $25-30 each refurbed on amazon and you can get them in PCIe x1 and x16, so you can use drat near every slot on a modernish motherboard.
:stare: Gonna request of a photo of this, yup.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

InWin Q500

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just had a 2 hr interview for a great job. The job is basically mine once they do a background check and piss test. However this company is loving insane. I'll be on call 365 24/7. IDK if I can do that. Maybe it is just the kick in the rear end I need?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just had a 2 hr interview for a great job.
I'll be on call 365 24/7. IDK if I can do that.

Decide how great it really is to you.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

You gone to a doctor yet?
I got hit by a car on my bicycle a few weeks ago, and I felt mostly fine other than impact damage. Now my neck is on fire, my back can't stand for more than 30 minutes without pain, and I have to go to physical therapy.
Take care of yourself, use ice, and keep motrin handy.

Yeah, they had my rear end in an ambulance within five minutes. Xrayed and ultrasound on everything. Feel mostly fine still other than the road rash, which feels like fire.

About to take a muscle relaxer and knock the gently caress out

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well it's basically the best job you can get in my field -- fiber optics fusion splicing. I'm trying to think long term and considering how poo poo my back is, it might be a good idea to take up a trade where I sit on my rear end all day anbd is always in demand as opposed to being a cable monkey sweating my balls off for peanuts. I basically talked to the boss and the head splicer and then he went over all the equipment and poo poo with me to make sure I wasn't totally full of poo poo. I tend to be honest on my resumes and interviews so they don't catch me lying later on.

EDIT: Part of my pops' Christmas gift came in the mail today. He used to have a gold '78 with a black bird but this was the closest I could find.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 30, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They probably want you on call so that if they get a gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress SOME INCOMPETENT DICKWAD JUST PUT A BACKHOE THROUGH THE 500 STRAND CABLE BESIDE I95 AND NOW ALL OF EASTERN MASS HAS NO LINK TO WESTERN MASS gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCKFUCK call at 3AM due to a construction zone screwup, they can wake you up, have it fixed before business hours, and roll in a vast lake of money, scrooge mcduck style.

As long as the pay rate makes up for it that'd be fine with me.

I'll see what I can do about pictures of the computer, my desk is a disastrous pile of broken jeep and computer parts right now and needs cleaning badly and I've only got 4 monitors hooked up to it till I beg/borrow/steal/buy more.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That's exactly it. They are owned by the biggest fiber optics company in America and strictly work for Comcast. I'm gonna see what they offer me for pay and weigh the pros and cons.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

How are you liking the liquid cooling on the CPU? That's been on my "to tinker with" list for a while but haven't been able to find anything that I like.

It's nice, but it's significantly more expensive than a decent copper tower air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 without actually being better at cooling the CPU by any consequential amount.

I got it because the case supports it and it's kind of neat and i've never used an AiO CPU watercooler before.

mariooncrack posted:

Are you thinking about overclocking? It's not really needed unless you plan to.

Not even then. Copper tower cooler will cool just as well for ~30% less money.

The Locator posted:

Thanks for this, I had no idea. Maybe I'll put the new SSD in my existing system and make it the boot drive with a clean install on it, upgrade to 10, and then transfer it. Although I do have a CD/DVD drive in both the old and new system, so I could do it like the article says also.

The Locator posted:

Follow up on this - Why does it really matter if I don't have USB support during the install as long as the keyboard and mouse work? The only USB devices I have are things I don't need during the install, can't I just install 7 from the CD/DVD drive which is SATA, and then do the upgrade to get the USB support enabled after it's upgraded to 10?

If you're installing from disc, that'll work OK as far as I know, and as long as your motherboard came with a drive disc like it ought to. (7 doesn't have built in drivers for... pretty much any of the hardware at this point, ethernet included)

Darchangel posted:

edit:
My PC looks like this inside :smug: :
[snipt]
(not my actual machine, but since they all look alike...)

My old desktop just prior to the upgrade:

Power Mac G5 case gutted with an mATX PC board backplate kit installed :v: it was neat and won me a casemod competition for stealthiness but was a bit capped out on GPU power while running a 1440p monitor.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 30, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

literally a fish posted:

If you're installing from disc, that'll work OK as far as I know, and as long as your motherboard came with a drive disc like it ought to. (7 doesn't have built in drivers for... pretty much any of the hardware at this point, ethernet included)

Thanks. Motherboard arrives tomorrow supposedly, so I'll know for sure then. I can't imagine it not coming with a driver disk.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

stump posted:

Will they not need run for about 500 miles to scrub the mould release compound off?
No you don't need to do that. I used to hold off mounting my winter tires until there was snow forecast that day.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, they had my rear end in an ambulance within five minutes. Xrayed and ultrasound on everything. Feel mostly fine still other than the road rash, which feels like fire.

About to take a muscle relaxer and knock the gently caress out
Saw you mention it here and in more detail in the crash thread. loving oblivious people, glad you made it through with only minor damage.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just had a 2 hr interview for a great job. The job is basically mine once they do a background check and piss test. However this company is loving insane. I'll be on call 365 24/7. IDK if I can do that. Maybe it is just the kick in the rear end I need?
Don't you drink a bunch? That's going to have to stop if you're going to be on call. I'm probably on call about 3/4 of the time over the course of a year and it's not bad but it's always in the back of your mind that you could be called at any time and have to rush to work. Depends a lot on the job whether you'll get called once a month or a couple times a week.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Don't you drink a bunch? That's going to have to stop if you're going to be on call. I'm probably on call about 3/4 of the time over the course of a year and it's not bad but it's always in the back of your mind that you could be called at any time and have to rush to work. Depends a lot on the job whether you'll get called once a month or a couple times a week.

Yeah and I do enough drugs to kill the average man. I've always lived my life with the mentallity that I would kill myself or die at an early age so I never really gave a gently caress. But it's funny how your perspective changes when you get older and start to settle down.

EDIT: I told my roommates about the on call situation and they all started laughing their asses off. :cheers:

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a call from my insurance company. It was not the call I wanted. The guy that hit me is claiming I intentionally hit him (and still claiming I turned from the middle lane). He's also claiming "severe injuries".

I've put the same video on a different Youtube account (one which has no other videos and no online presence whatsoever) as unlisted, and given the links to both my adjuster and Geico's adjuster. Already has 3 views in the past 10 minutes. I know the Geico adjuster was on her way out of the office, so the views are likely from my claims adjuster. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to view the domains that the views have come from tonight or tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Got a call from my insurance company. It was not the call I wanted. The guy that hit me is claiming I intentionally hit him (and still claiming I turned from the middle lane). He's also claiming "severe injuries".

I've put the same video on a different Youtube account (one which has no other videos and no online presence whatsoever) as unlisted, and given the links to both my adjuster and Geico's adjuster. Already has 3 views in the past 10 minutes. I know the Geico adjuster was on her way out of the office, so the views are likely from my claims adjuster. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to view the domains that the views have come from tonight or tomorrow.

Seems like his own claims should pretty much hang him when the adjusters look at the video, where you clearly turned from the outside lane (and stayed in it). The 'severe injuries' is just a giant joke based on the video, where he can't have felt it hardly at all except as one of those 'oh poo poo' bumps where you know you just hosed up.

Does that moron not know that you have video of the accident after you showed it to the police on scene? I'm pretty damned amazed that the cops didn't issue him a citation either, such bullshit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's the thing, I SHOWED HIM THE VIDEO when he started arguing with me. Then showed the cop the video in front of him. Then he tried to argue with the cop, which resulted in the cop shutting him down really quick. He even tried to claim I had edited the video (that would be some loving ninja editing right there, especially given the fact that my tablet has an Intel Atom processor - I think it would take about 20 minutes just to load the file into Windows Movie Maker on that thing).

He's also claiming the accident happened at highway speeds (... coming out of a turn? really?) and that he was alone. He had his wife with him.

I probably barely touched the striped line during the turn (that city paints the turn lines really wide for some reason), but the impact happened just outside of the intersection, and well within my lane.

I'm pretty pissed at the cops myself - especially since the cop stated "damage is under $500, so I won't write a report" (just repainting a bumper is $300ish, and my bumper needs to be repaired or replaced due to a crack in it, so add at least another $200 to find a used one, sand it down, and prep for paint - and my headlights are now pointing different directions, so there's damage behind the bumper).

blk
Dec 19, 2009

This is making me prioritize hard wiring my dash cam and getting them for the other vehicles in the scuderia.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Based on my own experiences with minor crashes, there is no such thing as an "Under $500" crash anymore. I had a guy bump into my '12 Fiesta on the freeway (traffic was bumper to bumper, maybe 5-10mph). The only visible damage was a gouge in the plastic quarter panel, and a broken tail lamp with a slight visible bend to the frame where the light mounts.

The panel alone was $850, and the supporting structure under it was bent (because the plastic flexes you know), and the repair ended up costing over $2500.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I ever get in an accident I don't think I'll tell the other person I have a dashcam. Then they can make up ridiculous lies and look like an idiot.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

gently caress I should get and hardwire a dashcam.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dashcams on every vehicle in the fleet, except for the Enfield.

CB650
1998 Explorer
Bus
Beetle

The Enfield hasn't been ridden in nearly 10 months. I'll get around to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp, finally saw some white foam under the oil fill cap--looks like the Mazda's afflicted with a bad head gasket after all. I wish it had just done that right off the bat instead of playing coy, then I wouldn't have done the valve seals. My bad for not doing a leakdown test I guess but the drat things are notorious for seal problems so I went for it.

At this point I figure I'll try and sell it, see if I can get better than scrapyard prices. gently caress me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

If I ever get in an accident I don't think I'll tell the other person I have a dashcam. Then they can make up ridiculous lies and look like an idiot.

This. Never tip your hand until the police arrive.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I need to replace my current dash cam with one that I can do playback on the spot. Right now I have to get the memory card home and extract it on the desktop, which is fine I suppose, but it would be nice to be able to show it to an officer on the scene if it was an issue.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I know better... now.

Either way, the guy filed a claim knowing full well I had a cam. A very, very fraudulent claim.

Just got another call from my insurance adjuster (guess she's working late?). She and I both acknowledge I went over the line slightly during the turn, but she said it's very obvious that the guy fully intended to take my lane, either through stupidity or.. who knows what the gently caress, and my crossing the line briefly didn't contribute to the accident in any way. She also mentioned she wished everyone had dashcams so that she wouldn't have to do the he said/she said poo poo.

She's going to get approval from her manager in the morning to deny the other guy's claim 100%, she just needs an actual copy of the video to put with the claim instead of a youtube link. So I'm putting it in Dropbox for her, hopefully she can get it from there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That's the thing, I SHOWED HIM THE VIDEO when he started arguing with me. Then showed the cop the video in front of him. Then he tried to argue with the cop, which resulted in the cop shutting him down really quick. He even tried to claim I had edited the video (that would be some loving ninja editing right there, especially given the fact that my tablet has an Intel Atom processor - I think it would take about 20 minutes just to load the file into Windows Movie Maker on that thing).

He's also claiming the accident happened at highway speeds (... coming out of a turn? really?) and that he was alone. He had his wife with him.

I probably barely touched the striped line during the turn (that city paints the turn lines really wide for some reason), but the impact happened just outside of the intersection, and well within my lane.

I'm pretty pissed at the cops myself - especially since the cop stated "damage is under $500, so I won't write a report" (just repainting a bumper is $300ish, and my bumper needs to be repaired or replaced due to a crack in it, so add at least another $200 to find a used one, sand it down, and prep for paint - and my headlights are now pointing different directions, so there's damage behind the bumper).

sounds like the cop sided with the straight dude

:texas:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The cop sided with me and ripped him a new rear end in a top hat when he kept trying to argue. :colbert: Cop just didn't feel like filing a report.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The cop sided with me and ripped him a new rear end in a top hat when he kept trying to argue. :colbert: Cop just didn't feel like filing a report.

Oh I must have missed that part :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I know better... now.

Didn't mean to come off as a dick, just something I've learned from 10 years of bouncing.

You should probably track down the officer and ask him to provide a written statement as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yup, don't ever give the other person the time and opportunity to think of a bullshit rebuttal. Then you look sane and they look like irrational idiots stumbling trying to pull a half believable lie out of their rear end.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last time I was in accident, I was on my bike and the officer wrote up a "Record of Collision" which is definitely not the same as an Accident Report. Chick's mom called me up saying that I was harassing her daughter and there's no way that damage to a bike could manage to be $500.

I learned my lesson; always get an accident report.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Are there any good rear view mirrors with cameras built in, or is that not a thing yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'm thankful for time traveling jive turkeys

• Locked thread