Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I robbed and murdered my way to this pile of treasure fair and square, and trying to deprive me of it is morally wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
"A specter is haunting these woods," the wizened old wizard says.

"The specter of Communism."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*puffs bubbles out of bubble pipe* I emailed the author of that game and he said it's actually a parody ya ninnies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

"A specter is haunting these woods," the wizened old wizard says.

"The specter of Communism."

Delivers a negative level per touch attach and redistributes it amoung the Party.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god, I don't know why but that was just hilarious.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

*puffs bubbles out of bubble pipe* I emailed the author of that game and he said it's actually a parody ya ninnies.

You're a ninny.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that looks about right.

"How many copyrights is that sword worth?"

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Things I did today: bought my first board game this year. It's Mage Knight.

I call that a pretty good day.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

So basically never exchange copper for silver. Stockpile and trade straight for gold. If going the other way around and starting with Gold, turn it into Silver first before Copper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll be putting up the TG secret santa thread in a bit. Tonight, maybe, or possibly tomorrow.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

haha

Dec 26, 2012

Good.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

image link is broken.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen mentions of, though not actually watched, more than few "marathon gaming" sessions where a group tries to play a TRPG, usually D&D, for 24 hours straight or more.

Have any of you ever been in something like that? Could you describe the experience?

I can sort of understand marathoning a video game, especially a particularly open-ended or repetitive one, but I guess it sounds to me like unless you were doing something like the entire War of the Burning Sky adventure path in one long go or were relying heavily on random generation (and a heavy emphasis on combat dungeoneering for its own sake), that you'd run out of creative inspiration at some point.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've seen mentions of, though not actually watched, more than few "marathon gaming" sessions where a group tries to play a TRPG, usually D&D, for 24 hours straight or more.

Have any of you ever been in something like that? Could you describe the experience?

I can sort of understand marathoning a video game, especially a particularly open-ended or repetitive one, but I guess it sounds to me like unless you were doing something like the entire War of the Burning Sky adventure path in one long go or were relying heavily on random generation (and a heavy emphasis on combat dungeoneering for its own sake), that you'd run out of creative inspiration at some point.

A couple of months ago some friends and I did a marathon gaming weekend where we played an entire levels 1 - 20 Spellbound Kingdoms campaign in one three-day weekend. We calculated that we did 28 hours of gaming over two and a half days. It was the best campaign I've ever been in, and one of the best gaming experiences of my life. We stayed in a cottage by ourselves, spend a couple of hundred pounds on food and booze for the weekend and home-cooked awesome meals, ate shitloads of snacks and drank merrily. The cottage had a bluetooth sound system for appropriate soundtracks and it was in the middle of nowhere so we could be as loud as we wanted.

The fact that the GM sliced his fingertip off while cooking on day 3 and had to go to A&E didn't even stop us. We finished that campaign.

I found that you get an awful lot more done in a single long go than you do with an equivalent amount of gaming time of once per week sessions. If you play for four hours once a week, the first half hour and last 20 minutes of each session I find that not a lot gets done because people need to warm up and get into it and then nobody wants to start something important just before the session ends. With a marathon session, you all get into it and stay in that immersed roleplaying zone all day. It's an intense and awesome experience. I did find that we suffered what a lot of my friends who do LARP report feeling, which is the post event crash. You've had such a good, intense roleplay experience for like 3 days solid and you emotionally crash for basically the next week, feeling a bit lost and sad. It's weird.

Tenra Bansho Zero is explicitly designed to be played in this format so next year we're going to do the same thing and play that.

Overall, would recommend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know there's a bunch of people doing 24-hour RPG or board game stuff for Extra Life, although that's a charity thing so I don't know if that's really the same situation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

image link is broken.

It shows here, might be a browser problem. have it here then http://imgur.com/PTJp8BU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I found that you get an awful lot more done in a single long go than you do with an equivalent amount of gaming time of once per week sessions. If you play for four hours once a week, the first half hour and last 20 minutes of each session I find that not a lot gets done because people need to warm up and get into it and then nobody wants to start something important just before the session ends. With a marathon session, you all get into it and stay in that immersed roleplaying zone all day.
This. Back when I lived in Michigan, my friends and I would start playing at about noon on saturday and finish around midnight, with a break in the middle to get dinner. You get so much more involved with longer sessions just by dint of having a smaller % of the session time involved with getting people sat down and mentally prepped.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i just moved back home and immediately got rehired at my old job at the comic/gaming shop "yayyyyyyyy"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Secret Santa thread is up:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750564

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've done something like this recently as well over a weekend. Me and another GM both did two six hour sessions alternating. We had two concurrent stories that interacted with each other. This was pretty novel and great fun, also distributing the load of preparation was appreciated from both of us. It wasn't strait 24 consecutive hours, we streched it out over two days. I imagine staying awake that long is bad for concentration and sleep scedule.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doodmons posted:

Overall, would recommend.

Yawgmoth posted:

This. Back when I lived in Michigan, my friends and I would start playing at about noon on saturday and finish around midnight, with a break in the middle to get dinner. You get so much more involved with longer sessions just by dint of having a smaller % of the session time involved with getting people sat down and mentally prepped.

gnapo posted:

I've done something like this recently as well over a weekend. Me and another GM both did two six hour sessions alternating. We had two concurrent stories that interacted with each other. This was pretty novel and great fun, also distributing the load of preparation was appreciated from both of us. It wasn't strait 24 consecutive hours, we streched it out over two days. I imagine staying awake that long is bad for concentration and sleep scedule.

Thank you! Now the wheels are turning and I'm thinking about doing something like finishing a whole adventure module in one go.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Literally The Worst posted:

i just moved back home and immediately got rehired at my old job at the comic/gaming shop "yayyyyyyyy"

You gonna try some different dialog paths this playthrough?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whydirt posted:

You gonna try some different dialog paths this playthrough?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

It shows here, might be a browser problem. have it here then http://imgur.com/PTJp8BU

Much obliged.

Würm Update.

quote:

A couple cool news about the project:

-- A sneak peak PDF to Würm the RPG is now available for download. Inside you'll find a summary of the game system, a character sheet and a community sheet (used to track tribes). Download it HERE.

-- Update #6 on the Kickstarter page shows that the second stretch goal for the project (at 14000 Euros) will add the GM screen in English. My understanding is that all the backers will still get the PDF of the Screen, and pledges at 110 Euros and up (those that originally includes the printed French screen) will get a printed English screen instead of the French one, if the project gathers at least 14000 Euros.

-- Update 6# also mentions the translation of additional adventures with further stretch goals. These will be available in PDF for 45 Euros backers and up, and printed for 60 Euros backers).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So, Exploding Kittens: good or bad?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've played it. Setting anything about the art or whether you hate the guy who makes The Oatmeal aside or not, it's a game with virtually zero depth and no real replayability. The micro-light/party game market isn't really lacking in quality options so it doesn't really fill a niche in need of filling either. Somehow it isn't the single worst kitten-themed card game I've ever played though, unfortunately.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's Russian roulette but with too many cards, unfunny art and not really any depth. I wouldn't advocate playing Russian roulette either.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kai Tave posted:

I've played it. Setting anything about the art or whether you hate the guy who makes The Oatmeal aside or not, it's a game with virtually zero depth and no real replayability. The micro-light/party game market isn't really lacking in quality options so it doesn't really fill a niche in need of filling either. Somehow it isn't the single worst kitten-themed card game I've ever played though, unfortunately.

:catstare: MEOW :catstare:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's pure distilled fuckawesome. Like having a narwhal serve you a sriracha flavored bacon on le ball pit. #win #winning

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Is the worst Kittens in a Blender, cause I found that significantly more strategic than Exploding Kittens?

It's pure distilled fuckawesome. Like having a narwhal serve you a sriracha flavored bacon on le ball pit. #win #winning
You know I honestly cannot tell when you're being sarcastic.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know I honestly cannot tell when you're being sarcastic.

Add plutonis to your ignore list. In doing so you will avoid this problem altogether.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I still check Oatmeal's site from time to time. He's funny enough for me to bother, and I liked his review of the intelligent car.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
IIRC the Oatmeal guy is a blight on the world and must needs be slain for the sake of humanity.

Dec 26, 2012

This, to be honest.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Plutonis did nothing wrong.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

IIRC the Oatmeal guy is a blight on the world and must needs be slain for the sake of humanity.

:yeah:

SunAndSpring posted:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

• Locked thread