Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

EmmyOk posted:

I have convinced a good number of pals to come over and get drunk for 194. Some are big boxing heads and are asking for some good technical but still very exciting UFC fights to watch beforehand. Recommendations?

Edgar/Maynard II
Henderson/Pettis I
Lawler/Rory
GSP/Condit
TKZ/Poirier
Matt Brown/Erick Silva

Edit:
Oh and Johnson/Uncle Creepy I
Aldo/Mendes II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

then he didn't think the UFC backed him hard enough on his voluntary testing that could not really be done because there was no standard in place for such a thing even though he totally sent someone to dumpster dive outside of Johnys house and found a bunch of PEDs and told Dana who refused to take his word on this and unilaterally issue a ban on a fighter and ruin a title fight or whatever.

Lol what in the gently caress are you talking about. GSP was upset because after he voluntarily submitted to VADA testing and asked Hendricks to do the same, Dana said in public that it made "both of them look stupid" rather than supporting his champion in proving he was drug free. He didn't ask Dana to ban Hendricks, he didn't ask for the fight to be called off, he didn't say poo poo about finding PEDs, and your thing about "could not really be done because there was no standard in place for such a thing" is kind of undercut by the fact that like three months after he retired the UFC announced they were going to random test everybody exactly like he wanted.

Seriously, did GSP say something unflattering about Rich Franklin in an interview because you were really weird about this then and you're being weird about it now.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nah that whole testing thing was BJ's MOm levels of bad taste.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
lol didn't the UFC steal his belt when he was showering or something?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Edgar/Maynard II
Henderson/Pettis I
Lawler/Rory
GSP/Condit
TKZ/Poirier
Matt Brown/Erick Silva

Edit:
Oh and Johnson/Uncle Creepy I
Aldo/Mendes II

All the lists so far have been good but I want to add Hendricks / Condit. It's so loving good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haha everyone in the country has seen all of Conor's UFC fights! Aldo/Mendes II is a great call though to introduce them to Aldo. I've shown them Mendes I and Cub but an extended fight is needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hoping to get them to watch all those before 194 but definitely going to start with Hunt/Bigfoot because they love heavyweights. Then Rory/Robbie II for the absolute war that it became as well as a great example of how someone majorly on the backfoot can keep their head in the game and make a comeback. Thrillashaw/Barao as a showcase of fast and excellent movement. Will definitely have to get them to go through the rest after I whet their appetites with those first 3 though!

mewse
May 2, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

definitely going to start with Hunt/Bigfoot because they love heavyweights.

Since they're boxing fans, you can probably tell them that Hunt broke his thumb during the bout and that's why he couldn't put Bigfoot away

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me Alexander Emelianenko v. James Thompson is still the best MMA fight of all time and the best way to get anyone into MMA.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

Lol what in the gently caress are you talking about. GSP was upset because after he voluntarily submitted to VADA testing and asked Hendricks to do the same, Dana said in public that it made "both of them look stupid" rather than supporting his champion in proving he was drug free. He didn't ask Dana to ban Hendricks, he didn't ask for the fight to be called off, he didn't say poo poo about finding PEDs, and your thing about "could not really be done because there was no standard in place for such a thing" is kind of undercut by the fact that like three months after he retired the UFC announced they were going to random test everybody exactly like he wanted.

Seriously, did GSP say something unflattering about Rich Franklin in an interview because you were really weird about this then and you're being weird about it now.

It came out later in an interview with Dana or Lorenzo (I can't remember) that it they said it was weird because it had never been done before and no one could agree on anything and would no way be enforceable by any governing body and would be opening a whole can of legal worms and poo poo. It wasn't written into bout agreements or part of any formal drug testing procedure used by the AC or the UFC at the time. So what if Johny tests positive and you pull the fight and take millions of dollars away from a guy based on an irregular standard of testing (for MMA fighters operating in that time frame) and gently caress up your own main event in the process. What if Johny says "no thanks, I'll have regular drug testing instead of this new, enhanced testing". Is the UFC supposed to issue a press release calling him a pussy who is clearly on steroids? Do they pull him from the fight? It just made no sense. If anyone deserves a ton of credit for the new drug testing, it's Lorenzo for putting up millions of dollars and risking being hosed when a bunch of fighters pop. Maybe you give George a tiny fraction of credit for talking to the UFC about it but now he is coming off whiny, especially after having this new drug testing in place already. Great, you knew that a bunch of fighters were probably on PEDs back in 2013, so did the rest of the world. Also he is driving me crazy with this will he/won't he return despite the division being extremely much better off now than when he left.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

Seriously GSP didn't even piss and moan he was just like "aye-uh can we-a do this for the every-one?" and got denied. Made even more comical in contrast by Hendricks rejecting the offer, but also having a personality that's whining about everything 70% of the time

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It came out later in an interview with Dana or Lorenzo (I can't remember) that it they said it was weird because it had never been done before and no one could agree on anything and would no way be enforceable by any governing body and would be opening a whole can of legal worms and poo poo. It wasn't written into bout agreements or part of any formal drug testing procedure used by the AC or the UFC at the time.

Yeah, and that's a fine reason for the UFC to not mandate it at the time, but there's a difference between not mandating it and saying "no comment", and saying that your champ is making himself look stupid by trying to get more stringent testing.

quote:

Also he is driving me crazy with this will he/won't he return despite the division being extremely much better off now than when he left.

Yeah so maybe just say this instead of reaching for reasons to dislike him based on completely reasonable things he did two years ago

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
Even in denying to try the program at the time, having a supporting stance for GSP's proposal/goal was a hell of a lot less of a favor than giving Conor an opportunity to fight an off-season non-champion for a fake title. Less lucrative too if we would've had GSP already back and fighting because of it. They really hosed that one up and backed the wrong guy (Hendricks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, and that's a fine reason for the UFC to not mandate it at the time, but there's a difference between not mandating it and saying "no comment", and saying that your champ is making himself look stupid by trying to get more stringent testing.

Yeah so maybe just say this instead of reaching for reasons to dislike him based on completely reasonable things he did two years ago

Meet me in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753897

• Locked thread