Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The duo behind Bakuman (whose 2 chapter prequel has been translated) and Death Note are publishing a new series. The next chapter is in the January issue, which probably means early December, since this is from the December issue (publishing November 4th). No, I don't know what the loving publishing situation is over there.

Anyway, the plot is morally ambiguous (like DN) and has a tool for the protagonist somewhat similar to the DN. Plus a grand competition which seems to be all the rage in shonen mangas these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I am ready for Death Note again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The only thing dumber than bakuman's ending was death note's, but hey, they usually do some good stuff before the train wreck.

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
sounds more like mirai nikki
but that was pretty death note so I guess

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this manga's terrible

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The only thing dumber than bakuman's ending was death note's, but hey, they usually do some good stuff before the train wreck.
Is this a common opinion...? I and my friends all like Bakuman's ending.

Platinum End doesn't seem like it will be too good unless some charming characters make up for the stupid plot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Relin posted:

Is this a common opinion...? I and my friends all like Bakuman's ending.

Platinum End doesn't seem like it will be too good unless some charming characters make up for the stupid plot.

I liked the ending of Bakuman, though the last third of the manga had some arcs that could have been cut/shortened. It's fine, if a bit generic/predictable.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

This looks hilariously bad, I'm gonna love hating it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ohba and Obata doing Mirai Nikki sounds like Inquisition levels torture.

Possibly even DA2 levels.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
God election candidates wasnt invented by mirai nikki, its actually kind of a cliche setting. An old shonen called Law of Ueki did it too. I'm sure there's a bunch more

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

God election candidates wasnt invented by mirai nikki, its actually kind of a cliche setting. An old shonen called Law of Ueki did it too. I'm sure there's a bunch more

I think the comparison to Mirai Nikki comes partly from the 2edgy4u aspect.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Platinum Bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah i'll read a couple more chapters of this before i realize how bad it is

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

Platinum Bad
Platinum Mad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I shan't read this bull crap. Good bye!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Relin posted:

The duo behind Bakuman (whose 2 chapter prequel has been translated) and Death Note are publishing a new series.

SOLD. I'm on board 100%. I actually like this kind of goofy setup too, I liked it in Mirai Nikki and I'll like it here.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

everything they do just screams that they think they're a lot smarter than they are

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

everything they do just screams that they think they're a lot smarter than they are

Maybe, but it's still entertaining.

That first chapter was neat. I'll stick around and see where this goes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh, so they're doing a dark, serious series again, just like the duo in Bakuman. :v:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
God should probably put some pants on.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 5, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just read the first issue, and as usual with these guys this is totally my jam. Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'm ready for Death Note with angels and the selfish pursuit of happiness!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

God should probably put some pants on.

If you were god, would you put pants on?
Even Christian God doesn't wear pants, learn some facts about god culture :mad:

The art is spectacular as usual, and I'd like to see where this goes.

e: Is there any place to read the raw, or a good translation? Because holy poo poo this is some bad English.
"I am an angel which belong with Mirai-kun"

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 5, 2015

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I just read the first issue, and as usual with these guys this is totally my jam. Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'm ready for Death Note with angels and the selfish pursuit of happiness!

As one bonzy buddy to another, i have to say i agree with you here.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is out.

It's better than expected in some ways, actually. I like that the main character is completely unlike Light; he's a decent but traumatized person who isn't interested in manipulating people or becoming God. The new villain who shows up at the end seems to be a Light clone, though.

It's also NSFW and quite tasteless, though. Hopefully there will be less of that sort of thing now that that particular villain is dead.

It's funny how the "angel" is playing the role of a Mephistopheles-style devil.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

New chapter is out.

It's better than expected in some ways, actually. I like that the main character is completely unlike Light; he's a decent but traumatized person who isn't interested in manipulating people or becoming God. The new villain who shows up at the end seems to be a Light clone, though.

It's also NSFW and quite tasteless, though. Hopefully there will be less of that sort of thing now that that particular villain is dead.

It's funny how the "angel" is playing the role of a Mephistopheles-style devil.

Obata grew tired of being stuck in Jump and had to draw as much TnA as possible. That was definitely a low point, but thankfully it was short lived. Hopefully there's more to Not-Light McMurder at the end. I trust Ohba as a writer but it's hard to do sociopathic characters well these days. He has sweet armor though.

Also Nesse has some Jotaro-Hair level mysteries going on with her clothes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should stop reading this in my office, woooow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are there translations up yet?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Mangastream's doing it, for now

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks.

That was a surprisingly good chapter. It felt like DN in that it's got a bunch of specific mechanics, but unlike DN it isn't a power trip where the MC is an intellectual badass. This poor dude just wants to work through his trauma but he has to deal all of this bullshit. I really like Nasse's pragmatic misunderstandings about how humans work. It's surprisingly intelligent commentary.

Although, it probably only works because it's just an open question atm.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I tried looking for this in kindle/viz manga and it seems that they're not selling them anymore. Whats up?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shrinkage posted:

I tried looking for this in kindle/viz manga and it seems that they're not selling them anymore. Whats up?

Are you sure?

http://www.vizmanga.com/platinum-end-chapters

e: Oh, it's just website only, I think that was your issue.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Are you sure?

http://www.vizmanga.com/platinum-end-chapters

e: Oh, it's just website only, I think that was your issue.

Yeah, it seems their rating just got changed to M and they cant sell em on their apps anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hard to believe this is by the same people who did Death Note. I like the immoral angel and some of the angel designs but I feel this isn't going to be a "good" series.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Huh, didn't realize a thread was made for this! Chapter 1 was the premise of Bakuman's Reversi story, but the instakill arrow they added sounds like too much of a brute force option. Hopefully it will be good! The monthly wait is going to be killer...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

Hard to believe this is by the same people who did Death Note. I like the immoral angel and some of the angel designs but I feel this isn't going to be a "good" series.

Eh not sure if I can agree that DN is a "good" series too.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This manga is cool, and I'm glad the protag isn't pure evil like in DN.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Death Note is good until after L dies. Then it feels like one of those times the author or editors force it to continue because it's popular

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 17, 2015

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Relin posted:

Death Note is good until after L dies. Then it feels like one of those times the author or editors force it to continue because it's popular

I don't know if this was ever actually talked about by any of the creators, but it seems like this is obviously what happened. Near is effectively just Diet L, anyway; it's pretty obvious to me that the series' climax was Light's "victory," and Deathnote would have been a much stronger work if it had just ended there. Or, if they wanted to do a Light-doesn't-win ending, just have L "beat" him. The fact that it went on for a bunch of volumes after that indicates to me that they had a planned ending to the series, set everything up for that ending, and then the manga became so popular it continued anyway to sell magazines or whatever.

Platinum End seems really bad so far. As someone who actually liked Deathnote and was sorta noncommittal about Bakuman, Platinum End just lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. The characters are flat and uninteresting from the first two installments I read; things seem to be moving too quickly, I think? Like in just the first forty-something pages we've got all kinds of murder and poo poo happening and I don't know enough about either the rules of the game or the protagonist to give a poo poo. PE seems like it would be much better suited to having a moodier, slower introduction to its trauma-driven main character, lead us up to the whole attempted suicide thing, and then start raining crazy.

Also, I think the angel is supposed to be cute/adorable/likeable, but she isn't. And the subplot with Rod-ton was like, what, six pages or something? Most of which was cheesecake? That poo poo felt loving pointless.

The art is gorgeous, and I might stick around for another update or two to see if it improves, but so far it's just not very good.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Relin posted:

Doesn't Bakuman have a subplot about that very topic? (The artist ending a manga when they want to end it, rather than keeping it going just because it's still popular.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Doesn't Bakuman have a subplot about that very topic? (The artist ending a manga when they want to end it, rather than keeping it going just because it's still popular.)

Well, that in Bakuman they want to end a series and the publisher wants to keep it going, and they basically churn out the first 6 chapters or so of the manga they want to do and insist on ending their current series. It's very possible that was inspired by the authors' own experience.

I'm just a sucker for everything these guys do, so I'm on board for the duration. The baps are just a nice bonus.

• Locked thread