Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

so you admit that their reviews have criticism that goes beyond "not my star wars"

:confused: That's the opposite of what I'm saying. Just because the videos (or whoever repeats them) uses different words to say Not My Star Wars, it doesn't make it any less Not My Star Wars.

The Big Bang Theory once reminded the audience that a character was a total spergy nerd by having him make an earnest, unironic statement that he's allocated two hours to watch Phantom Menace and an hour afterwards to complain about it. Because complaining about Star Wars prequels is something funny. Funny when RLM made their videos, funny when a character on a divisive sitcom does it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

:confused: That's the opposite of what I'm saying. Just because the videos (or whoever repeats them) uses different words to say Not My Star Wars, it doesn't make it any less Not My Star Wars.

The Big Bang Theory once reminded the audience that a character was a total spergy nerd by having him make an earnest, unironic statement that he's allocated two hours to watch Phantom Menace and an hour afterwards to complain about it. Because complaining about Star Wars prequels is something funny. Funny when RLM made their videos, funny when a character on a divisive sitcom does it.

The Big Bang Theory is notorious for it's lovely writing and not 'getting' nerd poo poo.

Really, it's far nerdier to enjoy the prequels. Like, as a kid it's OK to enjoy them because you don't know any better but once you reach adulthood your tastes should mature and you should recognize the prequels for what they are (bad)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it'd be tough to make 3+ hours of criticism if they were well constructed movies. i don't get your malfunction. saying bad movie was bad = misterbibs in what loving universe.

Well, in the universe where saying people who think the movies aren't bad (hint: they aren't) is apparently bad taste or not knowing any better. This debate has been had a thoudand times all over the internet, and the end point of it is that the Prequels are flawed but not bad movies. Certainly not as good as the OT, but far from terrible. The have plenty of good points and interesting things in them. I'd do a huge effortpost about them, but a) you don't give a poo poo and b) cnut did it better.

And let's not kid ourselves: the Plinkett videos aren't 3hrs of criticisms. They're full of jokes, repetitions, and outright bullshit along with the valid criticism. They do a really good job of explaining why some people don't like the prequels and point out legit flaws of the movie sand are entertaining, but they also have moments where they go full stupid like when they go "Movies should have a protagonist, derp derp" or "All these characters are so forgettable, none of my friends in on it can list character traits".

As much as I love the RLM crew's videos, they aren't the be-all, end-all of cinema. Nor do they even aspire to be.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

The Big Bang Theory is notorious for it's lovely writing and not 'getting' nerd poo poo.

The joke I mentioned shows that they do get it, better than the nerds themselves. Wanting to complain about the Phantom Menace for an hour might seem like A Thing to a nerd, but the writers of that joke get that such an act is a funny thing to laugh at.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

The joke I mentioned shows that they do get it, better than the nerds themselves. Wanting to complain about the Phantom Menace for an hour might seem like A Thing to a nerd, but the writers of that joke get that such an act is a funny thing to laugh at.

The joke would work if the character decided to passionately defend TPM because only a NERD would care enough about TPM to have a strong opinion on it after all these years.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

On a scale of one to Socrates, how profound an aesthetic philosopher do you believe yourself to be?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

they go full stupid like when they go..."All these characters are so forgettable, none of my friends in on it can list character traits".

yeah you really can't compare me to bibs dude.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah you really can't compare me to bibs dude.

A really bad movie is something like Jack and Jill (which RLM brilliantly destroyed), which has absolutely no redeeming qualities. The PT have plenty of redeeming qualities, and if their flaws are such that YOU can't watch the movie (because tastes are subjectives and some aspect of filmmaking are more important than other to different people), then that's fine and normal. But when you go around saying they're terrible movies and everyone who likes them is wrong, all you're doing is looking like a complete insufferable tool.

Like, the part you quoted is the worst moment of the Plinkett reviews because it's such a bad argument anyway (all the characters, PT and OT, can be described super easily by anyone who's watched the movies AND those character traits have jack and poo poo to do with whether these characters are good or not). It doesn't belong in the rest of the review.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I am fully willing to ignore what strengths the prequels do have if that's what's required to not share an opinion with MisterBibs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

I am fully willing to ignore what strengths the prequels do have if that's what's required to not share an opinion with MisterBibs.

It is tempting to switch side just not to be on the same as MisterBibs.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anyway, i sure am glad that MisterBibs told Terry Pratchett's daughter that she is a bad feminist.

I'm glad that is the world I live in.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, in the universe where saying people who think the movies aren't bad (hint: they aren't) is apparently bad taste or not knowing any better. This debate has been had a thoudand times all over the internet, and the end point of it is that the Prequels are flawed but not bad movies. Certainly not as good as the OT, but far from terrible. The have plenty of good points and interesting things in them. I'd do a huge effortpost about them, but a) you don't give a poo poo and b) cnut did it better.

And let's not kid ourselves: the Plinkett videos aren't 3hrs of criticisms. They're full of jokes, repetitions, and outright bullshit along with the valid criticism. They do a really good job of explaining why some people don't like the prequels and point out legit flaws of the movie sand are entertaining, but they also have moments where they go full stupid like when they go "Movies should have a protagonist, derp derp" or "All these characters are so forgettable, none of my friends in on it can list character traits".

As much as I love the RLM crew's videos, they aren't the be-all, end-all of cinema. Nor do they even aspire to be.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Red Letter Media thread - Millennial Trash Discussion Station

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

To change the subject away from the worst human alive, "SME" has blocked the Episode 3 review worldwide.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Race Realists posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Red Letter Media thread - Millennial Trash Discussion Station

Do you not understand the concept of ensemble cast? Among other variations?

Or are you saying this pointless discussion should be taken to the Star Wars thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like, the part you quoted is the worst moment of the Plinkett reviews because it's such a bad argument anyway (all the characters, PT and OT, can be described super easily by anyone who's watched the movies AND those character traits have jack and poo poo to do with whether these characters are good or not). It doesn't belong in the rest of the review.

of all the things to call stupid in the reviews that might have been the worst example.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

of all the things to call stupid in the reviews that might have been the worst example.

No, not really. It's stupid easy to describe the characters they're asked to describe in like two or three words off the top of your head. Also, being able to do quick description of characters like that has jack poo poo to do with if they're good characters or not. It's a loving pointless moment because it's both obviously fake and is also obviously a bad argument.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, not really. It's stupid easy to describe the characters they're asked to describe in like two or three words off the top of your head. Also, being able to do quick description of characters like that has jack poo poo to do with if they're good characters or not. It's a loving pointless moment because it's both obviously fake and is also obviously a bad argument.

you like a lovely movie lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

you like a lovely movie lol

gently caress yeah, I like lovely movies, Best of the Worst is my favorite thing RLM does.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The actual best lines in episode 2 are after he genocides the sand people.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought the important part about that was people couldn't describe the characters in the way that they were asked. Not because the characters totally lacked any characteristics but because they were so drat unmemorable. Like Rich came up with a description of Qui-Gon that was completely wrong, but to honest I only say that because I saw the movie again recently and specifically tried to pick up on how they were trying to characterize everyone. When I saw the review the first time I thought Rich was pretty much correct from how I remember those lousy movies, which is not a good sign.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I thought the important part about that was people couldn't describe the characters in the way that they were asked. Not because the characters totally lacked any characteristics but because they were so drat unmemorable. Like Rich came up with a description of Qui-Gon that was completely wrong, but to honest I only say that because I saw the movie again recently and specifically tried to pick up on how they were trying to characterize everyone. When I saw the review the first time I thought Rich was pretty much correct from how I remember those lousy movies, which is not a good sign.

I call bullshit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I call bullshit.
Oh, ok.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

- They're not asking for deep characterization there, just super surface. Anyone who's seen the movie can do it.
- They're memorable even if you hate them, or people wouldn't still bitch about them to this day.
- None of this matters as to whether they're good or bad characters in the slightest anyway, the whole scene in the review is pure sophistry.

It's probably my least favorite moment of all RLM, because it is both obviously bullshit and even if it wasn't it still wouldn't be a good criticism. The RLM crew are better than that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh my god do you people tag each other in via pager or something.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

- They're not asking for deep characterization there, just super surface. Anyone who's seen the movie can do it.
- They're memorable even if you hate them, or people wouldn't still bitch about them to this day.
- None of this matters as to whether they're good or bad characters in the slightest anyway, the whole scene in the review is pure sophistry.

It's probably my least favorite moment of all RLM, because it is both obviously bullshit and even if it wasn't it still wouldn't be a good criticism. The RLM crew are better than that.

I, like, gently caress. You could ask me right now to try and describe Amidala's character in any kind of detail and I would seriously struggle beyond 'she's a queen and has a new outfit in literally every scene'. No, they are not memorable. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Not a single good thing has come of this thread, so I'm closing it. Go to the GBS thread if you want to talk about RLM.

• Locked thread