Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Rooney nailed on for the next 3-4 years, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Blaming Barthalona for 'ruining football' and implying that everyone needs to all go back to playing 4-4-2 is the most english thing i've read in these last couple threads. Let go of the past. Adapt. Possession and press heavy ball is great.

Gigi Galli posted:

So what happened to Darmian? He was great for Italy when he last played but that was a while ago. Has he let the initial success go to his head?

He hasn't looked the same since he got wrecked by Sanchez. Think he got moved around from right to left as well for a minute there.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

quiet enjoyment posted:

Erm. Anyway. Quite excited for the midweek clash against Bayern. Even with Theo and the Ox out of commission we have got a chance again to score and win. JC will have another start and hopefully work as hard as he did against Swansea. A clean sheet would be would be fantastic, hopefully we don't lose our nerve and make the same kinds of mistakes we were making in the first half of the Swansea game.

We don't have much of a bench anymore which is scary. We've got to do some business in the winter but the chances are once again slim to none...

Welp, no matter the result I'm optimistic about the derby on Sunday as well. #COYG

Cappbell probably won't start against Bayern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...h-on-bench.html

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Far too much Man Utd chat in this thread tbh and not enough chat about Remi Garde's claret & blue army

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Business in the winter for Thee Arse? Wilshere, Rosicky, Arteta, Wellbeck, Ospina will all be like new signings.

Also, Ramsey, Ox, and Walcott will be back before then as well.. Wenger might buy one player... but I'd bet no.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Frankston posted:

Far too much Man Utd chat in this thread tbh and not enough chat about Remi Garde's claret & blue army

Aston Villa are terrible but I'm not sure if it would be more funny if they get relegated or if they stay up

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

blue footed boobie posted:

It's a much simpler and more logical conclusion that lvg's system makes players avoid risks rather than assuming that United have acquired a bunch of risk adverse players.

In that case I dont know why he is asking the questions of why players arent in the press conferences

Look at his comments from the conference thats just happened for tonights game. “I want to score like the fans want. The players want to score but you have to create chances first and then you can finish."

I cant see why he would be addressing the creativity issue if he isnt dealing with it

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's possible that van Gaal is being criticized because he is publicly admitting he doesn't know why his team aren't doing things, which seems to suggest either his team aren't doing what he tells them to do, or are and are then being made scapegoats when it goes wrong. Going on to then publicly criticize a player (which, putting aside this being basic bad man-management, has backfired spectacularly for Mourinho this season) only reinforces the idea that LVG doesn't quite have the ability to get his team to play the way he wants them to, and doesn't quite know how to handle either the press or his players. There's plenty of posters who aren't United fans, and hardly seem to be ABUs, chiming in to say that LVG doesn't look all that impressive.

He's still got United back into the top 4 and is a million times better than Moyes mind, so maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

So what would you rather he do, that he come out and say that they are playing how he wants? Not criticise a player that isnt playing well? I dont even get the criticising players thing, if anything I think Van Gaal is too defensive of his players.

He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do which is stabilize the decline and get us right back on the path

Bogan Krkic posted:

Big Sam had us in a 442 diamond last season but its Payet Moses and Lanzini behind Sakho now. The two clubs I watch every week are both playing a 4231, and the one I watch in person won the title last season with that formation playing arguably the best football seen as yet in the league. Suggesting that putting 2 up front automatically leads to more exciting football is daft and naive.

Broletariat posted:

Blaming Barthalona for 'ruining football' and implying that everyone needs to all go back to playing 4-4-2 is the most english thing i've read in these last couple threads. Let go of the past. Adapt. Possession and press heavy ball is great.

I wasnt suggesting that tbf (I never said ruining football or mentioned a 442 either). I just think a lot of teams have taken the easy option of sticking an extra man in midfield and stifling games which is leading to uninspiring football.

Gigi Galli posted:

So what happened to Darmian? He was great for Italy when he last played but that was a while ago. Has he let the initial success go to his head?

People will inevitably blame the Arsenal performance but I think it goes back to when Shaw got injured. He looked shaky in the next game as he was asked to play a little more attacking to make up for the missing Shaw on the other hand, and he ended up being subbed then. We had a couple of easy wins before Arsenal where he didnt have to do much but in the Arsenal match he was totally at sea and at fault for the early goals.

Its strange how bad he did from how good he looked at the start of the season.

Der Shovel posted:

"Memphis was dropped [...] the reasons aren't surprising. [...] Blind is spot on."

I agree with you that he's been poo poo, and I think the reasons for that are largely mental. He's got all the tools to be a great player but he's making the wrong decisions, and I hope that this is the wake up call he needs. But at the same time I'm worried this will just make him even worse because hearing in a roundabout way that his manager is talking poo poo about him to his national team manager probably won't do wonders to his confidence.

I dont see whats wrong with Van Gaals comments

"But Van Gaal said: I have said he is the greatest talent of his age but he is only 21 and you cannot expect consistency, He is at a stage of his career where he must adapt to many things.

“I’m convinced he’s coming back maybe stronger than before but we have to give him time, like we will with Martial when he is a little bit lower in his shape.”"

Der Shovel posted:

That is my point of contention: I'm not convinced he can get it done. I agree he's done a lot right: the defence looks good (although I think that's largely down to DDG and Smalling being in insane form, United as a whole have looked pretty shaky in many games), he did do what Fergie and Moyes steadfastly refused to do and bought midfielders. He's done many good things. United's attacking play just isn't one of those things.

Many pundits and ex-Reds have voiced their similar concerns: that LVG has the team playing boring and robotic football, that the players look afraid of making mistakes and that United are loving up by trying to retain possession at all cost, without then doing much with that possession. The attacking football is dire, and where I disagree with you is that I don't think he's going to make it much better.

I'm not saying he's happy with United going goalless for three games in a row now, or that he's chuffed United only had two shots on goal total in the past two PL games. I'm saying his system isn't likely to produce the kind of free-flowing attacking football many United supporters expect and like, and that having tons of possession and a couple of shots on goal is what we'll likely get.

And I hope to God I'm talking bollocks and as wrong as wrong can be.

Surely you can see Smalling being in form is because of the changes that LVG made? Playing him alongside Blind was a masterstroke in my opinion, and the way he's now much more confident has meant that seeing him line up alongside Jones isnt the worry that it used to be.

Im by no means defending the way we play because going to some of the matches is pretty boring, but also not. At half time in the City match I was thinking we'd played well and it had been a good match and the only issue I had was us not creating chances, and logged on twitter to see everyone saying it was a poo poo match. Maybe Ive seen too many poo poo matches but that one didnt seem that to me.

I dont think some of the pundits are being completely fair, Scholes for one stood out. He said something along the lines of "I wouldnt like to play in this team" and my first thought was if we had you in there we wouldnt be playing this way naturally.

Der Shovel posted:

My reasoning for this is that it's pretty much a guarantee that if, for instance, Fellaini doesn't start the game, he'll come on around the 60th minute and usually doesn't help the game at all. Moyes was worse, but is that really a good defence? Saying someone is better than one of the biggest failures in EPL history isn't much of a merit IMO.

A sub tends to come on about the 60-70 minute mark for one of the midfielders whenever theres a Carrick or Schweinsteiger on the pitch but that is more expected as it reenergises the midfield

Moyes used to bring on Valencia as an attacking right back for no real reason constantly. It made no sense.

[quote="Der Shovel" post=""452263251"I disagree. Taking Rooney out [b"]would[/b] instantly make United a better team, because he is currently utterly useless. It wouldn't immediately make United amazing because he's not the only player playing below their level (or the level they would need to be playing at), but he is a crucial player and is supposed to be playing a crucial role in the team. When he can't even get 5 meter passes right, that's a loving huge problem.[/quote]

Ive just seen LVG say this when asked why strikers struggle in his formation - "“I think it is an aspect of this team or this selection and also an aspect of game tactics, Also a reason is the shape (form) of the player". So maybe he's going to address that?

As I said before if it was me I'd drop Rooney but I dont think theres any point unless you change the system or get more from the players

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Frankston posted:

Maybe in order to do that you could facilitate a chat about them and what youd like to discuss rather than just complaining?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I think United will decline even more as the season progresses but still finish 4th, expect another splash in January that won't work but will get Taff's rod at full salute for a little while.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Garde's an idiot for taking the Villa job. He was being talked up as Wenger's successor and now he's going to have a big claret and blue failure on his record.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Without wanting to enter the world of Advanced Stats, there's not necessarily a problem with creating a low number of chances, as long as those few chances are relatively of higher quality and more likely to result in a goal than the higher numbers of chances created by other teams. Particularly for a team like United who tend to face packed defences, there's arguably some merit to the plan of creating two or three excellent chances and dominating possession rather than trying for more speculative chances, losing the ball and potentially being done on the counter.

In Hernandez' first season his goals/shots ratio was insanely good, partly because his finishing was great but also because he seemed to only ever shoot if he was all but certain of scoring. No half-chances, no long shots, etc. Contrast with someone like Ronaldo who shoots wherever possible and scores a pile of goals but also loses possession a whole bunch. Madrid are good enough defensively to deal with this, but recent history suggests United currently aren't.

The side is currently taking this to an extreme in our run of 0-0s, but a sample size of three games is not all that meaningful. Over the course of the season so far we've picked up the fourth most points and that is the only stat that really counts. The high possession, low-scoring approach is not going to win LVG any awards for style, but he won't mind too much if it keeps picking up points. And with a team that has struggled defensively in recent seasons, it's a pretty understandable strategy, at least in the short term. Build a team from the back, etc. Not conceding is great (pizza-worthy, even) so it's just a matter of getting that attacking fluidity back. Rooney has been loving garbage for a long time and actively harmful to a lot of our play going forward, so unless he personally improves (or is dropped) it's going to be tough for the team.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Big Taff Man posted:

In that case I dont know why he is asking the questions of why players arent in the press conferences

Look at his comments from the conference thats just happened for tonights game. “I want to score like the fans want. The players want to score but you have to create chances first and then you can finish."

I cant see why he would be addressing the creativity issue if he isnt dealing with it

It's entirely possible that he has unrealistic expectations of how players can work in his system. I'd be a lot more willing to believe that than a bunch of players fulfilling their life long dream of passing it sideways.

Bea Nanner posted:

Cappbell probably won't start against Bayern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...h-on-bench.html

I can't really argue with this. Wengy has said he'd be happy with a point, and this boobie would be too.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

People talking about Rooney being the only issue just annoys me. Darmian blew us the game against Arsenal.

The Big Taff Man posted:

People will inevitably blame the Arsenal performance but I think it goes back to when Shaw got injured. He looked shaky in the next game as he was asked to play a little more attacking to make up for the missing Shaw on the other hand, and he ended up being subbed then. We had a couple of easy wins before Arsenal where he didnt have to do much but in the Arsenal match he was totally at sea and at fault for the early goals.

Darmian was poor but some of the blame has to go to LVG for playing Carrick & Schweinsteiger together and getting them to push up and press.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Garde's an idiot for taking the Villa job. He was being talked up as Wenger's successor and now he's going to have a big claret and blue failure on his record.

Reportedly, Garde talked to Houllier about Villa before he took the job and Houllier said "I told him it was a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and they have a chairman who backs you." I think Houllier's information was out of date (or he has a very specific idea of what "backing" means).

It'd be interesting to see if Remi puts Agbonlahor on the bench. How did that guy become captain?

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 3, 2015

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Garde is a French Tim Sherwood - they're hosed.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope Mourinho gets the sack and is replaced by Sherwood.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sebzilla posted:

Without wanting to enter the world of Advanced Stats, there's not necessarily a problem with creating a low number of chances, as long as those few chances are relatively of higher quality and more likely to result in a goal than the higher numbers of chances created by other teams. Particularly for a team like United who tend to face packed defences, there's arguably some merit to the plan of creating two or three excellent chances and dominating possession rather than trying for more speculative chances, losing the ball and potentially being done on the counter.

In Hernandez' first season his goals/shots ratio was insanely good, partly because his finishing was great but also because he seemed to only ever shoot if he was all but certain of scoring. No half-chances, no long shots, etc. Contrast with someone like Ronaldo who shoots wherever possible and scores a pile of goals but also loses possession a whole bunch. Madrid are good enough defensively to deal with this, but recent history suggests United currently aren't.

The side is currently taking this to an extreme in our run of 0-0s, but a sample size of three games is not all that meaningful. Over the course of the season so far we've picked up the fourth most points and that is the only stat that really counts. The high possession, low-scoring approach is not going to win LVG any awards for style, but he won't mind too much if it keeps picking up points. And with a team that has struggled defensively in recent seasons, it's a pretty understandable strategy, at least in the short term. Build a team from the back, etc. Not conceding is great (pizza-worthy, even) so it's just a matter of getting that attacking fluidity back. Rooney has been loving garbage for a long time and actively harmful to a lot of our play going forward, so unless he personally improves (or is dropped) it's going to be tough for the team.

Yeah I agree with this. United couldn't deal with getting Ronald back, it would make them immediately worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Brony Car posted:

Reportedly, Garde talked to Houllier about Villa before he took the job and Houllier said "I told him it was a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and they have a chairman who backs you." I think Houllier's information was out of date (or he has a very specific idea of what "backing" means).

It'd be interesting to see if Remi puts Agbonlahor on the bench. How did that guy become captain?

Garde said that Lerner was ambitious lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Blue Star Error posted:

it's a no lose situation. if he keeps us up he's a miracle worker, if we go down he 'couldn't do anything'

Brony Car posted:

Lerner actually does back the managers. we let Lambert go on for far too long and Sherwood would never have been sacked if he managed to win more than 1 point in 8 weeks/had the players performing decently. Can't remember the last time that a Villa manager didn't get 'enough of a chance'

There are problems at the club, but they're due to the wage structure etc... things that a one-season manager doesn't really have to worry about.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 3, 2015

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

straight up brolic posted:

it's a no lose situation. if he keeps us up he's a miracle worker, if we go down he 'couldn't do anything'

Sherwood performed that miracle and look what happened to him. Going to a poisoned chalice club is a dumb move when he could have dicked around at rich French clubs for a few years and then waltzed into the Arsenal job like a French Moyes.

edit: I'm not sure Lerner backs managers so much as gives them enough rope to hang themselves.

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2015

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

This is a good point. Unless Villa completely tank (more than they already have, if that's even possible), no one is going to look at their relegation and point the finger at Remi.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

Sherwood performed that miracle and look what happened to him. Going to a poisoned chalice club is a dumb move when he could have dicked around at rich French clubs for a few years and then waltzed into the Arsenal job like a French Moyes.
Sherwood did not perform a miracle he restored a bit of confidence to a side with one of the best players in the premier league and managed to have them squeak by relegation. We've played poo poo football since we were relatively safe and Sherwood does not look like he has any idea that he knows what he's doing. Being a poo poo manager, regardless of results, got Sherwood sacked at both Tottenham and Villa, not a poisoned chalice.

Like he was saying that the issue with the team was loving fitness, as though if we ran harder and faster we'd be winning these games that we can't create any loving chances in because we have no midfield and teams just stack the wings with players because they know that we can't pass through them because he's keeping loving ashley westwood who's AWFUL in the team.

He also benched our only ambitious/good player after a few mistakes for loving Kieran Richardson. He had to go.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 3, 2015

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

Hmmm disagree, gathering some prem XP to distinguish himself from the other fancy dans overseas is useful - just look at houllier and ranieri

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

sebzilla posted:

I like this post

I just wish now and again Schweinsteiger or Herrera would take a punt from range.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Breath Ray posted:

Hmmm disagree, gathering some prem XP to distinguish himself from the other fancy dans overseas is useful - just look at houllier and ranieri

But Houllier and Ranieri performed in foreign lands and then got given a big club as their first English job? Thats what I reckon Garde should have done. Houllier wouldn't have got the Liverpool job he'd done what he did at Villa first.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Bastian Schweinsteiger wears a snood in training..... :smith:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

My Villa-supporting co-worker likes Garde, but is resigned to the fact that they're most likely still hosed

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

But Houllier and Ranieri performed in foreign lands and then got given a big club as their first English job? Thats what I reckon Garde should have done. Houllier wouldn't have got the Liverpool job he'd done what he did at Villa first.

You have to think the arsenal post will be the most contested in the prem. You just need CL football which you can get by outspending the others. And you get to live in London but not work for Roman. So I think arsenal would want someone who can provide continuity and arrive with an idea of how teams play in the prem. Well cya

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

bbbut Villa are a big club :( with great fans, fantastic facilities, one of the top 20 grounds in world football, and an ambitious chairman who backs his managers

Breath Ray posted:

You have to think the arsenal post will be the most contested in the prem. You just need CL football which you can get by outspending the others. And you get to live in London but not work for Roman. So I think arsenal would want someone who can provide continuity and arrive with an idea of how teams play in the prem. Well cya

you can't wait forever for Wenger to walk/we hired the guy that most rated Garde at Arsenal as our director of football

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 3, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Monk to Arsenal, and he can take Kyle Bartley back with him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Big Taff Man posted:

I like this post

I just wish now and again Schweinsteiger or Herrera would take a punt from range.

Thanks, friend. And yeah I agree, it's immensely frustrating. And I wish plan B was "shoot a bit more" rather than using Fellainis big hairy bonce any time we're not winning after 70 minutes. But I can see things clicking sooner or later, and at least we have a more solid denfensive base to build on.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

sebzilla posted:

Thanks, friend. And yeah I agree, it's immensely frustrating. And I wish plan B was "shoot a bit more" rather than using Fellainis big hairy bonce any time we're not winning after 70 minutes. But I can see things clicking sooner or later, and at least we have a more solid denfensive base to build on.

To be honest I dont have a problem with having a plan B of Fellaini, if anything in recent games hes shied away from that and brought him on in midfield rather than pushing him upfield. I think sometimes its good to mix it up and throw one up if we need to.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Big Taff Man posted:

I dont see whats wrong with Van Gaals comments

Well, if those are the comments Blind was referring to, then nothing. I got the impression that LVG had said something to Blind, which contributed to Memphis getting dropped from the national team. In that case, hearing second hand from the papers that your boss got you booted from your national team might not exactly make him LVG's number one fan.

quote:

Surely you can see Smalling being in form is because of the changes that LVG made? Playing him alongside Blind was a masterstroke in my opinion, and the way he's now much more confident has meant that seeing him line up alongside Jones isnt the worry that it used to be.

Maybe. Maybe not. LVG has definitely shored up United defensively, there's no question about that. But I would say it's something that gets overstated frequently. Palace, for instance, created several rather good chances and United were lucky to escape with a point. I would not hold that performance up as a great defensive effort, for example.

quote:

A sub tends to come on about the 60-70 minute mark for one of the midfielders whenever theres a Carrick or Schweinsteiger on the pitch but that is more expected as it reenergises the midfield

I just think it'd be nice to have some other ideas as well, especially since Fellaini has also been playing like crap recently. Instead it's just Fellaini on like clockwork and when he comes on, it usually kills what little attacking play United had stone dead, because suddenly there are two players on who can't control a pass let alone make one.

quote:

As I said before if it was me I'd drop Rooney but I dont think theres any point unless you change the system or get more from the players

I do. I absolutely do. When Martial was the striker, United's play flowed a lot better, they created tons more chances and scored actual goals. Yes, some of that was down to them changing the system (and some to them playing a striker who played like a striker instead of huffing and puffing about in midfield all match long), but if it's working, why shift away from it?

That kinda ties into my whole point. If it is, as LVG insists, a process, why does he keep undoing the good work he occasionally manages to do? Why not stick with what was working, or try to build upon it? It feels less like LVG trying to find what works with this team and more like him trying to force the team into playing the way he wants to regardless of how well it's working.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 3, 2015

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Blue Star Error posted:

but enough about jurgen klopp

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Bellerin out with a groin injury for the Bayern match.

gently caress

my

life

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal are two cb's away from having a very good injured XI

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Broletariat posted:

Bellerin out with a groin injury for the Bayern match.

gently caress

my

life

Arsenal's medical staff are a loving shambles.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Brony Car posted:

Default.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did you see how hard Berllerin hit that post? Not entirely surprising, shame tho'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Brony Car posted:

Probably because he grew up down the road loike

He's one of those players who I think of as perpetually 20 years old and I'm scared to look up his real age

• Locked thread