Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

gently caress you for making me think there was a Metroid announcement, OP.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Glad they got the Butt and Cox on board.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
going ham on za butt

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is topping Facebook trending for me lol.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

metroid fans are back in the dark ages, like the Time Before Prime. it will be tough waiting this one out

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno. A lot of them probably had their first exposure with Prime or Fusion. Super is as old as I am and probably is that way with a lot of fans. I bet prime is to a lot of us what super is to older people.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I cry whenever I think about how beautiful a 3DS Metroid would look

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they just remade SM for 3DS I'm sure it'd be a smash

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

super metroid with prettier sprites and tight GBA physics..good god

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its good how it is

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nintendo if you take the same bone ive been chewing for 15+ years and just rinse it a little, ill pay 20 bucks for it probably

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i want a new Metroid that is to Super Metroid what A Link Between Worlds is to A Link to the Past

it will never happen

frank.club posted:

I dunno. A lot of them probably had their first exposure with Prime or Fusion. Super is as old as I am and probably is that way with a lot of fans. I bet prime is to a lot of us what super is to older people.

what I mean is that we are in a similar era as before Metroid Prime was announced. metroid fans were desperate for a new game for years, the entire history of the N64. it's like Nintendo has forgotten about Metroid/doesn't give a poo poo, again. having Samus in Smash was like a terrible tease, same as having Lucas in Smash and never localising Mother 3.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i often wonder if they tried out a n64 metroid, and created some prototype of a turd like castlevania 64 and threw it out

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd rather not have a Metroid game ever again than a new stinker like Other M.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

probably not because the N64 controller was too weird and Super Metroid was Too drat Good:

quote:

This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?

I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn’t be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn’t a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn’t have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That’s something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid.

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/yoshio-sakamoto-discusses-metroid-64-metroid-dread-and-the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super Metroid was too perfect lol

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'd rather not have a Metroid game ever again than a new stinker like Other M.

Maybe Nintendo higher ups are more willing to experiment with Metroid. Super is one of the most complex games on the SNES, fusion is a pretty big departure in a lot of ways, licensing it out to a western dev for 3 titles, and finally taking one chance too many with Other M. Like imagine what the Mario version of Other M would be like. They'd never let that fly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frank.club posted:

Super Metroid was too perfect lol

Maybe Nintendo higher ups are more willing to experiment with Metroid. Super is one of the most complex games on the SNES, fusion is a pretty big departure in a lot of ways, licensing it out to a western dev for 3 titles, and finally taking one chance too many with Other M. Like imagine what the Mario version of Other M would be like. They'd never let that fly.
Nintendo have had tons of weird experiments: licensing the games for the CD-i, the Virtual Boy, tons of licensed educational games, etc. But they're definitely less careful with Metroid's main-series games than they would be with Zelda or Mario.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I recall seeing an interview with Miyamoto (I think?) which was pretty heavily implying that they are gonna significantly change up the next Mario game and take it in a whole new direction. I think this was an interview because of Mario Maker. can't wait for open world mushroom kingdom

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nintendo have had tons of weird experiments: licensing the games for the CD-i, the Virtual Boy, tons of licensed educational games, etc. But they're definitely less careful with Metroid's main-series games than they would be with Zelda or Mario.

I wonder if the Philips CDi Zelda made people feel like what other m made me feel like

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The CD-I games were made for a non-Nintendo system almost nobody owned, and Nintendo didn't bother advertising them at all themselves, I think.

Dec 26, 2012

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found it interesting enough to be worth the watch. Thanks.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this is now my phone's lock screen

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

this is now my phone's lock screen

Kind of strange, but who am I to judge.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

net cafe scandal posted:

Kind of strange, but who am I to judge.

You have to be pretty crazy to post on here! Hahaha, but seriously, make a new Metroid game Nintendo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't mind a Metroid game made by a competent dev studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bolverkur posted:

i want a new Metroid that is to Super Metroid what A Link Between Worlds is to A Link to the Past

it will never happen
it's called metroid zero mission :angel:

but yeah, I wish nintendo hired igarashi to make a new metroid game instead of that castlevania spiritual sequel, but oh well

• Locked thread