Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just by virtue of the onion being the shape it is, I can’t imagine any auto chopper could get identical sizes for every piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's why I studied the blade

*you barely detect my katana shift from its sheath. For a moment, nothing about the onion changes. Then, three of my fingers and my ear fall completely off*

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Robot Coupe grater attachment is separate, not just a disc insert, and it’s about as big as the machine itself. It is grate though because it does pretty crisp square profile, closer to julienne than a box grater.

The main benefit of the Robot Coupe though is just that it has incredibly high quality internals, and is very unlikely to break down compared to consumer models. The one at my first restaurant looked like it was already a decade old, and we ran it actively at least an hour per day for the two years I was there, with zero issues.

That and it can run basically indefinitely without overheating. So, pretty decent at doing meat emulsions.

It’s not like going from a normal consumer blender to a Vitamix though. It doesn’t really open up new techniques AFAIK.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How well could I get by for a couple years buying a $40 Oster blender, and maybe a $200 cuisinart food processor? Especially if I like to make bean purées or doughs or lots of salsas

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fr0id posted:

How well could I get by for a couple years buying a $40 Oster blender, and maybe a $200 cuisinart food processor? Especially if I like to make bean purées or doughs or lots of salsas

Get any cheap piece of poo poo blender now for cheap, save up for a Costco sale on a vitamix down the line

A $200 processor you can probably keep for life or until it breaks

Dough you probably want a mixer for

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Steve Yun posted:

Dough you probably want a mixer for

I’ve got an 80s kitchen aid for that luckily. I just mean for pizza dough.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

BrianBoitano posted:

That's why I studied the blade

*you barely detect my katana shift from its sheath. For a moment, nothing about the onion changes. Then, three of my fingers and my ear fall completely off*

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Right I've decided to try a cast iron pan. Iearnt to cook with stainless steel and never really saw the need to do anything different. Also cast iron pan nerds are insufferable so partly out of contrarianism as well.

I have a cast iron griddle (a griddle) , griddle pan (pan with ridges) (why do these have the same name but are totally different) , Dutch oven etc but no just cast iron pan. If I wanted to get a decent cast iron pan in the UK where would I go? Not looking to break the bank on something I might not use that much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You have Lodge pans in the UK, it’s relatively cheap and pretty much the standard for the last 50 years in the US

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Local carboot, flea market, attic at your grandma's house. That's where all mine came from.

Otherwise, a Lodge frying pan off ebay is fine. Not the best, but absolutely fine.

Edit: Ebay, searching nearest first and then filtering by collection only can also be an option. poo poo is heavy and people don't want to ship it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 16, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah flea markets are good for that.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

The Robot Coupe grater attachment is separate, not just a disc insert, and it’s about as big as the machine itself. It is grate though because it does pretty crisp square profile, closer to julienne than a box grater.

The main benefit of the Robot Coupe though is just that it has incredibly high quality internals, and is very unlikely to break down compared to consumer models. The one at my first restaurant looked like it was already a decade old, and we ran it actively at least an hour per day for the two years I was there, with zero issues.

That and it can run basically indefinitely without overheating. So, pretty decent at doing meat emulsions.

It’s not like going from a normal consumer blender to a Vitamix though. It doesn’t really open up new techniques AFAIK.

Thank you! I look forward to lugging this dumb-heavy and unnecessary for my life appliance around for the rest of my life, 5 floor walk ups be damned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Discussion Quorum posted:

That has the same problem of not having a continuous infeed. Gotta dump and reload to do the next chop. No, what you need is one of these.

Lmao watch the video attached to this product. That's solid marketing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

You have Lodge pans in the UK, it’s relatively cheap and pretty much the standard for the last 50 years in the US

I've not really been aware of lodge in the UK. I've never seen them, I'll have a look around though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They're easy to get off Amazon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

They're easy to get off Amazon.

I'm always a bit leery about ordering things like that off Amazon, I like a physical shop for things that. But I'll give them a look see.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Aramoro posted:

I'm always a bit leery about ordering things like that off Amazon, I like a physical shop for things that. But I'll give them a look see.

Are you in London? Borough Kitchen stock Lodge. Or you could always order and return.

If you would prefer something made in the UK then have a look at https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/. They are spun iron rather than cast which is lighter but work in a very similar way.
I have a 30cm frying pan which I really like except the handle makes it slightly too big to fit in my oven.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 16, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Stupid Decisions posted:

Are you in London? Borough Kitchen stock Lodge. Or you could always order and return.

If you would prefer something made in the UK then have a look at https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/. They are spun iron rather than cast which is lighter but work in a very similar way.
I have a 30cm frying pan which I really like except the handle makes it slightly too big to fit in my oven.

Sadly I'm in far from London, well not really sad as London is awful, in Edinburgh. Those spun iron pans look interesting, I've seen their casseroles in a shop near here but not the pans before.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's also Emba, https://embacookware.co.uk/, except none of the third party stockists seem to be in stock anywhere so I'm assuming it's another case of the UK unable to run manufacturing companies sustainably . The parent company spun off some of their business for debt relief.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 16, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Those spun iron pan have insanely long handles. Absolutely bonkers, what in the world.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Looks pretty much the same as what you'd find on a Matfer or De Buyer carbon steel pan. Main thing I'd give the side-eye to is the wooden handle scales.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah if you can avoid a wooden handle, do so, so you can just throw the thing in the oven when needed.

Seriously though, if you do have a carboot near you, go take a look. Cast iron lasts basically forever, and people tend to dump it when they get older and can no longer lift it. I think out of my two frying pans, bake stone and massive le cruset roasting dish, I probably paid under £30 for the lot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Spunk iron

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah if you can avoid a wooden handle, do so, so you can just throw the thing in the oven when needed.

Seriously though, if you do have a carboot near you, go take a look. Cast iron lasts basically forever, and people tend to dump it when they get older and can no longer lift it. I think out of my two frying pans, bake stone and massive le cruset roasting dish, I probably paid under £30 for the lot.

Problem with those pans, wooden bit or not is they're 60cm wide so absolutely will not fit in my oven like it or not.

I did see someone giving away a full set of le cruset pans with frying pans, 6 in total including the hanging rack....

... Turned out the person giving them away had dementia and a Facebook account and was giving away everything in their house. Their daughter did manage to round up most of the stuff again, including the pans.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Aramoro posted:

Problem with those pans, wooden bit or not is they're 60cm wide so absolutely will not fit in my oven like it or not.

Yeah, this is the issue I have and never even considered when buying. They sell without the wooden handles but they unscrew if needed.

Either way I like it, but it's still just one of the pans I have that all cook food in different situations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just borrow an angle grinder and consider the handle length customizable

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I understand this is a me problem but when I see something like that I always question the entire product. Like it's supposed to be good to go in an oven but it won't fit in any standard UK oven, that makes me question if the whole product is well designed.

Grinding the handle down is something I have considered though

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Sadly I'm in far from London, well not really sad as London is awful, in Edinburgh. Those spun iron pans look interesting, I've seen their casseroles in a shop near here but not the pans before.

Eddingtons distributes Lodge pans in the UK, and from the map on their web site, it looks like there are several shops in Edinburgh that might sell them. Something to consider at any rate.

https://www.eddingtons.co.uk/Catalo...DLE-12-17L10SK3

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eccles posted:

Eddingtons distributes Lodge pans in the UK, and from the map on their web site, it looks like there are several shops in Edinburgh that might sell them. Something to consider at any rate.

https://www.eddingtons.co.uk/Catalo...DLE-12-17L10SK3

That's a good shout, I'll check them out. There's always Nisbets as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Aramoro posted:

How big is your oven?

30 cm pan with a 28 cm handle in a 50 cm square oven:

Exactly the same thing:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well poo poo

My old thermapen started working again just as my new one arrived

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Should I:

Give away old thermapen

eBay it

Keep it as a backup

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Give away to a friend in need.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like to keep a backup. They're cheap enough that if I wanted to give a friend one I'd just buy them one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SubG posted:

How big is your oven?

30 cm pan with a 28 cm handle in a 50 cm square oven:

I have a Neff under counter oven so it's about 40cm deep inside. 71 litres usable space.

Pretty much all built in units are 56cm deep l, not sure be seen one that would have 50cm of usable depth inside them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Well poo poo

My old thermapen started working again just as my new one arrived

Mine did this. I keep the old one for measuring outside water temp for swimming. I sometimes have to open and close it a few times to make it turn on, something the hinge mechanism is hosed up.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Update on the stovetop pressure cooker I asked about: I got a Fissler, since I got a good deal and it's also non-venting/closed-system.
Looking at the manual it only vents steam when you exceed the optimal pressure, but the pressure where steam starts to escape on this one is lower than the pressure required for the Kuhn one to start venting.

I don't think there is much practical difference if your stove can keep the exact temperature required for optimal pressure. If that is too much trouble the Kuhn one will probably be easier to run without losing flavor from escaping steam. (Or just get an electric one)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Fissler has a pop up knob with two white bands on it. The second one is 15psi and it always is raised to that level before it begins to vent. What pressure were you hoping to achieve?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eezee posted:

Update on the stovetop pressure cooker I asked about : I got a Fissler, since I got a good deal and it's also non-venting/closed-system.
Looking at the manual it only vents steam when you exceed the optimal pressure, but the pressure where steam starts to escape on this one is lower than the pressure required for the Kuhn one to start venting.

I don't think there is much practical difference if your stove can keep the exact temperature required for optimal pressure. If that is too much trouble the Kuhn one will probably be easier to run without losing flavor from escaping steam. (Or just get an electric one)
I don't think you necessarily lose flavor from escaping steam. If anything sometimes it increases flavor by reducing the liquid inside and thus concentrating the flavor into a smaller volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

tonedef131 posted:

My Fissler has a pop up knob with two white bands on it. The second one is 15psi and it always is raised to that level before it begins to vent. What pressure were you hoping to achieve?

Ok, mine works a bit different. It has a dial to put in target pressure and then the pop up thing is yellow, green or red of the pressure is too low, ideal or too high respectively. It only starts venting when it turns red, so exceeding target pressure. It was claimed earlier in the thread that all stovetop pressure cookers besides the Kuhn are already venting at target pressure.
The new Fissler ones have their target pressure at 11 psi and start venting above that though, so that's a 5C difference in temperature. I might need to adjust cooking time of recipes a bit if they are written for 15psi.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think you necessarily lose flavor from escaping steam. If anything sometimes it increases flavor by reducing the liquid inside and thus concentrating the flavor into a smaller volume.

I am going entirely by the Dave Arnold argument that Steve Yun mentioned. It might just be volatile flavors that I couldn't make out anyway.
https://cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/