Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

captkirk posted:

Any recommendations on electric kettles with variable temperature control? I'm torn between the OXO adjustable (because OXO tends to be good and it doesn't have fixed temperature settings but lets you dial it) and the Cuisinart one that seems to be the standard. I want the variability for brewing different teas at the right temps in addition to the usual tasks of an electric kettle (instant noodles, speeding up getting pasta water up to temp, etc).

I've got a Chefman. Only thing I don't like about it is the increments on the side go 0.6L, 0.9L, 1.2L, 1.5L, 1.7L and it drives me crazy that they aren't like 500ml, 750ml, etc.

I ordered one of those Lodge griddles to throw on my Traeger for searing steaks and stuff and Amazon sent me a 17" cast iron skillet. Probably just gonna keep it because it seems like it might be more useful.

Also, my girlfriend bought me a Searzall for my birthday and that thing is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Clark Nova posted:

I bought this tramontina at Costco a few years ago when I had to re-buy induction cookware. The strainer thing works fine but I always forget to put it in and use it

I have a pot with a strainer but it's superfluous in my opinion. I just pull the pasta out of the water with tongs or a slotted spoon; you don't even want to get as much water out of it as a strainer does.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Looking for recommendations on some equipment:

- A good dehydrator. The one I previously had was one of those plastic ring towers that you stack and cleaning that was horrible. Looking to spend more for a better machine that'll be good for dehydrating everything and have racks that are easy to clean in a dishwasher.

- I like to make jerky and I was thinking maybe a meat grinder too to make my own ground beef to load into my jerky gun. Is this even worth it compared to buying ground in the store (which I've done previously)? Also maybe a slicer for cutting up eye round for traditional jerky.

- A good pizza steel for making a 12 inch pie. I have no knowledge on this at all except that steels are better at conducting heat for the home oven compared to a stone.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

captkirk posted:

Yeah, we're thinking of the same Cruisinart one. That's why I'm looking for other options, I irrationally chafe at the preset temps only.

EDIT: The Bonavita you referenced seems to have a large portion of complaints about build quality and DOA.

I got the 1L bonavita a couple months ago and have had no problems yet. The build quality complaints on amazon made me wonder if they were getting counterfeits, a concern I avoided by not buying from amazon.

SubG posted:

SBZ S210-1

I also received this thing last week following your recommendation in the knife thread and I’m really really enjoying it, so thank you for that

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Putty posted:

- A good dehydrator. The one I previously had was one of those plastic ring towers that you stack and cleaning that was horrible. Looking to spend more for a better machine that'll be good for dehydrating everything and have racks that are easy to clean in a dishwasher.

- A good pizza steel for making a 12 inch pie. I have no knowledge on this at all except that steels are better at conducting heat for the home oven compared to a stone.

You want a horizontal dehydrator. Excalibur makes good plastic ones, but to a large degree the expensive things are a brand name and a stainless exterior. All of them are just an electric heating element, a fan, and some racks. Digital temperature control might be something you care about, but really, just look for something with stainless racks and you should be good to go?

For a pizza steel, you want A36 hot rolled steel, like this one. If you are only going to make a few pies at a time, get a 1/4" thick steel. If you are going to have extended pizza parties, get 3/8". Look for metal shops near you for in person pricing, A36 sheet/plate is super easy to find. If it has mill scale on it, soak it in vinegar for a few days, give it a good soapy scrub, and then a single coat of oil like you would season cast iron.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 22, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does anyone have any strong feelings, either positive or negative, about any 6 quart pasta pots? I don’t need an insert, just something appropriately sized for cooking for my family.

The Bialetti is nothing special but is designed remarkably well as a pasta pot. It's oblong for spaghetti and Teflon so all you need to do is rinse and wipe dry to clean it. The lid locks on and has a strainer built in. About $40 on Amazon. It's one of those things I would definitely buy again.

Edit,

Putty posted:

- A good pizza steel for making a 12 inch pie.

Cast iron skillet is what I use but you need a really good glove because you have to pick it up where as a steel you can use a peek.

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 22, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Shroomie posted:

I've got a Chefman. Only thing I don't like about it is the increments on the side go 0.6L, 0.9L, 1.2L, 1.5L, 1.7L and it drives me crazy that they aren't like 500ml, 750ml, etc.

I ordered one of those Lodge griddles to throw on my Traeger for searing steaks and stuff and Amazon sent me a 17" cast iron skillet. Probably just gonna keep it because it seems like it might be more useful.

Also, my girlfriend bought me a Searzall for my birthday and that thing is terrifying.

a 17"? Jesus. I have a 15" and it's huge. 17 seems like you'd want one of those outdoor standalone propane burners for it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Putty posted:

- I like to make jerky and I was thinking maybe a meat grinder too to make my own ground beef to load into my jerky gun. Is this even worth it compared to buying ground in the store (which I've done previously)? Also maybe a slicer for cutting up eye round for traditional jerky.

I have a manual grinder I got for $12 at a redneck "antique" store. It was a fun project cleaning up the various extruders and it grinds nicely. It wasn't covered in old meat, there was just some corrosion. Idk if antiqie or thrift stores are even open in plague times, but based on my experience I'd recommend a cheap old manual grinder as the first step in seeing if grinding meat yourself is worth it. Of course, kitchenaid attachments work and I think can get down to around $40, $80 for a metal one IIRC

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Putty posted:

I have the cheaper kitchen-aid grinder (the plastic one) that I got for $25 and being able to grind your own meat for burgers & ground sausage really is really awesome. I'll never buy store bought ground meat again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have the cheaper kitchen-aid grinder (the plastic one) that I got for $25 and being able to grind your own meat for burgers & ground sausage really is really awesome. I'll never buy store bought ground meat again.
I'm really lazy so I couldn't imagine wanting to grind/clean every time - is it that much better when you grind it at home?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

I'm really lazy so I couldn't imagine wanting to grind/clean every time - is it that much better when you grind it at home?

If you can afford a butcher who will grind the meat to your specifications and cost doesn't matter then no, but quality difference between grocery store ground meat and what you'll make yourself for the same price is huge.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What do you mean quality difference and specifications? I like 85/15 for most stuff I cook but I'm not really opinionated otherwise.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The meat you buy to grind is generally higher quality than what Safeway or Kroger or whoever is going to put in their cheap ground meat. Plus, grinding comes with an up-charge because it's time & labor.

Say you've got $20 to spend on meat

-You can buy $20 in low quality store ground meat
-You can spend $20 on higher quality meat of your choice and probably get a similar amount as the lower quality store ground meat
-You can spend $20 on the same lower quality cuts the grocer uses for their ground meat but get more because you aren't paying for grinding.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 22, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grinding your own meat also allows you to make it as coarse or as fine as you want, as well as allowing you to (more or less) precisely control the fat content.

The difference is so stark with burgers that I literally couldn't go back to storebought ground beef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Kroger's ground for free when we had a Kroger's, not sure if any other stores around do that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had no idea that people made jerky from ground meat. All the jerky I’ve ever had certainly seemed like intact muscle.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Anyone have a lead on a solid Couscoussier? I'm really struggling to find any reputable looking reviews on the things.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I can't help but feel you'd be better off with a stackable steamer with changeable inserts.

Barring that, though, Cuisinox makes one that's probably a solid choice, if pricy

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Thx for all the info so far I'll be looking into it.

Subjunctive posted:

I had no idea that people made jerky from ground meat. All the jerky I’ve ever had certainly seemed like intact muscle.

It's easier to make, that's pretty much it. Instead of a marinade you use dry ingredients as ground meat isn't good at retaining liquid. It's riskier for food borne illness compared to solid muscle, but grinding your own meat would be safer or so I've researched.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone know of any sales going on for Memorial Day on the KitchenAid stand mixers? Trying to find a birthday present for my wife.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Anyone know of any sales going on for Memorial Day on the KitchenAid stand mixers? Trying to find a birthday present for my wife.

If refurb is an option I think you can order them from their website. I use a refurb and it is indistinguishable from new. Maybe she'd prefer that plus an attachment or something over a new one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Costco had the pro on sale recently but idk if they do right now. Snagged one for my wife.

You can find them on sale often on slickdeals

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
People were just talking in this thread about getting them for cheap on ebay, although you may not want a second hand gift for your wife

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
She doesn’t want me getting her something so expensive in the first place. Maybe if I tell her it’s a refurb, she’ll bite.

Thanks for the tips!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
A nice mixer is a gift for the whole household. Especially if you do a decent bit of baking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

A nice mixer is a gift for the whole household. Especially if you do a decent bit of baking.

I agree. I don't bake anything other than bread and love the mixer, though I do mostly benefit by my partner's use of it.

I have the pasta extruder attachment which I've used a few times but honestly thinking about getting rid of it because if your dough is slightly too firm it stresses the poo poo out of the mixer. I do find all the attachments are really overpriced, especially when hand-driven versions exist for so many of the functions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I got the nutrimill artiste for around 180 after the kitchenaid artisan I bought struggled to make a single loaf of bread. This thing has rocked after I started using it, and saved me like 100+ dollars as well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Happiness Commando posted:

For a pizza steel, you want A36 hot rolled steel, like this one. If you are only going to make a few pies at a time, get a 1/4" thick steel. If you are going to have extended pizza parties, get 3/8". Look for metal shops near you for in person pricing, A36 sheet/plate is super easy to find. If it has mill scale on it, soak it in vinegar for a few days, give it a good soapy scrub, and then a single coat of oil like you would season cast iron.

Why is a steel better than stone for pizza? Better heat conductivity? If that's the case, would a pizza aluminum be even better, or would it not hold enough heat?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why is a steel better than stone for pizza? Better heat conductivity? If that's the case, would a pizza aluminum be even better, or would it not hold enough heat?

TLDR Thermal mass + Pizzas cook fast and steel dumps the heat into the pizza faster than a stone does.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

TLDR Thermal mass + Pizzas cook fast and steel dumps the heat into the pizza faster than a stone does.

This. https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

Also durability. Sooner or later pizza stones crack.

As for the Steel vs Aluminum bit, it's mostly because steel took off and it's easier to find thick steel cut for ovens vs aluminum.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

.Z. posted:

As for the Steel vs Aluminum bit, it's mostly because steel took off and it's easier to find thick steel cut for ovens vs aluminum.
And you'd need an aluminium slab half again as thick as a steel slab.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The cooking steel is also more useful in a self defense scenario

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 27, 2020

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I bought my A36 circle on Amazon with free shipping, works a treat. I use it mostly on my small oven and it doubles as a low profile lid for my Dutch oven.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have recommendations for a pain de mie pan?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Food dehydrator recommendations? We’re going to have a lot of produce from the garden this year and would like to be able to preserve some stuff dried. I’m in a big city so I have access to any major big box store, but I would prefer to buy used if there are any particularly common decent models.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a pain de mie pan?

My wife recommends the USA Pan Pullman Loaf with lid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO3CN8

It gets good results, and the nonstick coating is really effective. I haven't had any problems with cleanup.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Food dehydrator recommendations? We’re going to have a lot of produce from the garden this year and would like to be able to preserve some stuff dried. I’m in a big city so I have access to any major big box store, but I would prefer to buy used if there are any particularly common decent models.

I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with an Excalibur, if you have the space.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Not kitchen equipment (at least not safely) but: I need a grill.

I'm looking for a gas grill, and probably a pretty small one at that - I'm likely to move into a small-ish dwelling with little outside space at the end of this year. Is there a gws hivemind recommendation?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Lawnie posted:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/videos/withering-bites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Red Crown posted:

Not kitchen equipment (at least not safely) but: I need a grill.

I'm looking for a gas grill, and probably a pretty small one at that - I'm likely to move into a small-ish dwelling with little outside space at the end of this year. Is there a gws hivemind recommendation?

You didn't give a budget so I'm going to assume it's modest since you want a smaller grill... I have a Char Broil, bought ~10 years ago on black friday for ~$200 or maybe it was $299, something like that, used it every day for the first year (yeah I was really in love with it). Sometime in year 2 it started heating unevenly. Year 3 the burners were rusted out and replacements never burned as well as when new. It's about 10 years old now and it still looks very good on the outside but I can't get it to heat evenly so I never use it. Mine has the side burner and I used it sometimes but any breeze at all blows the heat and flame away from the pot so for an outside space I wouldn't let that sway you.

If you can be talked into a Weber 22" charcoal grill, you'll be very happy with it and they last a long time. Get a chimney charcoal starter and those little wax cubes and in 20 minutes they'll be ready.