Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I find the water spots and detergent remnants really adds to the patina of a damascus steel pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Croatoan posted:

First off, NEVER WASH YOUR KNIVES IN A DISHWASHER! The detergent is a micro abrasive that is literally dulling your knives. I was joking.

As for washing whisks, it's easy peasy to have a big bowl of soapy water and get this, you can whisk it clean!

So sharpen and hone them, unless you have a good quality knife, they're just a cheap flat chunk of metal. You could sharpen up a Coke can.

(One exception being bread knives because you can't sharpen those and they already have a limited lifetime.)

Anyway I also use my stand mixer as the bowl for my immersion circulator so don't listen to me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I just lick my cleavers clean and then wipe them on my pantleg1.

-----
1 Assuming I'm wearing pants2.
2 To find out what I wipe them on if I'm not wearing pants, subscribe to my onlyfans.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

lol just lol if you don't clean your knives by just pinching the blade between your bicep and forearm, and pulling it through like an anime swordsman

I've been upgrading some random parts of my kitchen that have been frustrating me. Just got a myweigh scale with an AC adapter and now I never have to worry about the scale timing out halfway through a measurement like my old one was (maybe a battery issue?) It's also big and looks like a science scale so hell yeah.

I also finally bought a thermapen. I want to keep it looking nice so I was thinking about getting a holder for it but that seems a little expensive. One thing that's nice though is I could just put it on my knife strip. I guess there's this too, but idk if I like the look of it.

I guess what I'm asking is, how does everyone else store theirs? Also, would just attaching a piece of steel to the back of the pen harm it? I have a piece left over from an old car cell phone mount.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scholtz posted:

I also finally bought a thermapen. I want to keep it looking nice so I was thinking about getting a holder for it but that seems a little expensive. One thing that's nice though is I could just put it on my knife strip. I guess there's this too, but idk if I like the look of it.

I guess what I'm asking is, how does everyone else store theirs? Also, would just attaching a piece of steel to the back of the pen harm it? I have a piece left over from an old car cell phone mount.

Mine stays in the pocket of my apron at the restaurant, and in a drawer with a ton of other utensils at home. I’ve had it for 5 years. It looks brand new.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Scholtz posted:

Uhh my kitchen drawer?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've always found the most effective way to clean my beater whisk is to put dish soap in the bowl and some water and run the mixer for a while. Cleans up the bowl, cleans up the whisk, just wipe, spot-scrub any stubborn bits, and rinse

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Scholtz posted:

I have the silicone boot with the magnets on mine, and it was really loving annoying to get on, but now that it's on it's at zero risk of coming off accidentally and the magnets are quite strong. It's really nice to just stick it to whatever random metal is nearby (usually the microwave or fridge) between uses. It's pretty sturdy and would be fine without it too, but I think overall I'd recommend the silicone case just for the magnets.

Edit to answer the other part of your question: when I'm not using it I just stick it to the fridge door with the magnets. Keeping it in a drawer would be slightly less convenient but not a big deal.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the plastic gear in an entry level kitchenaid with a lead one from the higher end model?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therobit posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to replace the plastic gear in an entry level kitchenaid with a lead one from the higher end model?

I'm not sure but the higher end models (the lift bowl ones) I think have entirely different geartrains because the tooling is designed to distribute the force downwards into the bowl and thus upwards into the head of the mixer. The cheaper ones to my understanding use tooling which expresses force in a lateral axis so the drivetrain is strong in a horizontal plane.

Even if you could, that gear is plastic (or nylon with glass fibre fill or w/e) because it's very easy to access and if you gently caress up and suddenly introduce a load into the geartrain higher than that the system is designed for, it'll break first.You don't want to replace it with a sintered gear or something and end up destroying the motor or breaking some shaft deep in the motor.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

therobit posted:

my father fixed mine when it broke, and I think he replaced the plastic gear with a metal one.

either way, the replacement was cheap as gently caress on eBay.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm not sure but the higher end models (the lift bowl ones) I think have entirely different geartrains because the tooling is designed to distribute the force downwards into the bowl and thus upwards into the head of the mixer. The cheaper ones to my understanding use tooling which expresses force in a lateral axis so the drivetrain is strong in a horizontal plane.

Even if you could, that gear is plastic (or nylon with glass fibre fill or w/e) because it's very easy to access and if you gently caress up and suddenly introduce a load into the geartrain higher than that the system is designed for, it'll break first.You don't want to replace it with a sintered gear or something and end up destroying the motor or breaking some shaft deep in the motor.

My understanding was that some models use a lead gear that is just a little more robust than the plastic but will still break before the motor.

Empty Sandwich posted:

my father fixed mine when it broke, and I think he replaced the plastic gear with a metal one.

either way, the replacement was cheap as gently caress on eBay.

Thanks! Honestly, with the Pro600 on sale at Costco for less than $300, I was kind of hoping to find out it was really expensive and have an excuse to buy something fancy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So ThermoWorks has a new small cheap instant-read thermometer out.

https://www.thermoworks.com/dash?quantity=1&dash=1

3 to 4 second readings, accurate to 0.9°F, AND it’s only $40 bucks!!? Yes, please! :allears:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

So ThermoWorks has a new small cheap instant-read thermometer out.

https://www.thermoworks.com/dash?quantity=1&dash=1

3 to 4 second readings, accurate to 0.9°F, AND it’s only $40 bucks!!? Yes, please! :allears:

Wonder why they didn't just make it a ThermoPop MKII.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Are there good or bad vacuum sealers for sous viding?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Canadian site warning

https://www.amazon.ca/Freshlocker-VS160S-Machine-Automatic-Stainless/dp/B073DGT7XY/ref=asc_df_B073DGT7XY

I like this one a lot. I use third party bags with it that are cheaper, but they don't work as well as the brand's ones, to be honest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

.Z. posted:

Wonder why they didn't just make it a ThermoPop MKII.

Ignoring that they’re on ThermoPop Mk4 now, this isn’t as good. From the staff response on the linked page:

quote:

Here is how a Thermapen Mk4 and DASH compare:

• The Thermapen (our most popular product) is the leading, professional-grade instant-read thermometer on the market and uses precise thermocouple sensor technology. This allows it to read temperatures faster and more accurately than lower-cost thermistor digital thermometers – such as the DASH – do. This is one of the primary reasons it is preferred by many well-known publications and personalities in the food world.

• The thermocouple sensor in the very tip of the Thermapen is so responsive that once it comes up to temperature (in 2-3 seconds) it gives you “real-time” updates on temperature changes and temperature differences in your food. Because DASH uses thermistor technology, it cannot respond as quickly or as accurately as a Thermapen Mk4 can.

• The Thermapen Mk4 has features that make it easier to use. For instance, it wakes up as soon as you touch it. Its display automatically rotates and its backlight automatically comes on when it gets dark. You don’t have to push buttons to make things happen with a Thermapen like you do with a DASH.

• A Thermapen Mk4's display rotates 360°, so it is always rightsize up; DASH's display rotates 180°.

• A Thermapen Mk4 has a larger operating range (the temperature the housing can be exposed to) than DASH. (-4 to 122°F versus 32 to 122°F)

° A Thermapen Mk4's display is larger than DASH's.

• A Thermapen Mk4's probe is folded down into the housing for storage; DASH requires that you put a cover on it to store it.

• Dash comes with a lanyard; a Thermapen Mk4 does not (although, you may purchase a protective boot that has a lanyard, if you wish).

• Dash's battery (CR2032 (3V) will last approximately 5,000 hours; a Thermapen Mk4's battery (1.5 volt AAA) will last approximately 3,000 hours.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Ignoring that they’re on ThermoPop Mk4 now, this isn’t as good. From the staff response on the linked page:

You are mixing up the Thermapen and the Thermopop.

I'm refering to this: https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop

As far as I can tell the main differences are that the Dash is more accurate in the lower temp range. 0.9F vs 2.0F, but in in the higher range it's less accurate 4.5F vs 4.0F.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Are there good or bad vacuum sealers for sous viding?
Like nearly all kitchen equipment questions, the answer is yes but.

There's a big divide between seal-a-meal style vacuum sealers and chamber vacuum sealers. You can do a lot of poo poo with a chamber vac that you can't do with most consumer-grade vac sealers. But most home cooks really aren't going to need/want/even know about many of the things you can only do with a chamber vac--compressed watermelon or whatever. A chamber vac his a hulking monstrosity compared to a seal-a-meal type, so there's the storage issue. Chamber vacs also start in at several hundred dollars and an industrial one (PolyScience or whatever) will set you back at least a grand unless you buy used.

Leaving that aside, if we're just talking about seal-a-meal style vac sealers, there are a bunch of fiddly options that you may or may not care about--integrated cutter, vac sealer roll storage onboard, that kind of thing. Apart from that, cheaper vac sealers definitely tend to have weaker compressors. Which, somewhat paradoxically, is exactly why I prefer the cheapest Rival vac sealer to more expensive options. Because you're not going to be able to pull anything close to a full vacuum, like a chamber vac. So that's off the table. So what does a stronger compressor get you in a seal-a-meal type vac sealer? It makes it harder to seal wet/liquid stuff--my US$30 Rival takes several seconds to asthmatically wheeze it's way through evacuating a small vacuum bag...which is really convenient if you're sealing some protein in with a bunch of oil/herbs/whatever, sealing some eggs/Hollandaise/whatever, and so on. A more robust vac sealer zips through all the air and next thing you know you've got sauce or egg or whatever wicking its way up to the neck of the bag, loving up the seal.

So, if you're looking for recommendations, mine is: go cheap. When I first got into s-v I bought the cheapest model Rival. It lasted several years until it stopped sealing properly (that is, not forming a vacuum properly...the heat seal part was still working fine). By the time it failed that model had been discontinued, and so I bought the cheapest model of Rival that was available then. That was between six and seven years ago, and it's still working fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cheap also help since you can usually start the sucking manually. I have to waste quite a bit of bag to guarantee the old one at costco would latch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

.Z. posted:

You are mixing up the Thermapen and the Thermopop.

I am, and I even own both of them! Sorry about that.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I am, and I even own both of them! Sorry about that.

No worries.

But yeah, I wonder why they didn't just update the Thermopop vs creating another product line. It really doesn't seem like they are that different.

I guess they didn't want to make a MkII and bump the price $5?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

.Z. posted:

No worries.

But yeah, I wonder why they didn't just update the Thermopop vs creating another product line. It really doesn't seem like they are that different.

I guess they didn't want to make a MkII and bump the price $5?

I’m guessing it’s a form factor thing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
My brother had an instant pot but he moved out, I'm thinking of getting another one, this one https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Air-Fryer-One-Touch/dp/B07VT23JDM?ref_=ast_sto_dp includes an air fryer and sous vide options, does anyone have experience with the sous vide and air fryer options? I have an anova, but I wouldn't mind freeing up the counter space, and I love buffalo wings.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have used the sous vide function before. It works fine, but isn't flexible, you are limited to the space in the pot and you can't clip things to the side well. If you are only cooking for yourself it works fine, but even if I do a big rear end steak it doesn't always fit in well.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Pro Home Cooks on Youtube just did a vid on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634iiu71L1M He seemed to like it. He didn't use the sous vide function.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

swickles posted:

I have used the sous vide function before. It works fine, but isn't flexible, you are limited to the space in the pot and you can't clip things to the side well. If you are only cooking for yourself it works fine, but even if I do a big rear end steak it doesn't always fit in well.

Okay cool, so I'll just hang on to the Anova and use it if I'm cooking something big but I don't have to keep it on the counter anymore.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Posting this here and there, but looks like there's a decent discount on a neurofuzzy zojirushi model. I have a cheaper one than this and I love it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14174915-zojirushi-ns-zcc18-10-cup-neuro-fuzzy-logic-rice-cooker-136-75-free-s-h

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sextro posted:

Posting this here and there, but looks like there's a decent discount on a neurofuzzy zojirushi model. I have a cheaper one than this and I love it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14174915-zojirushi-ns-zcc18-10-cup-neuro-fuzzy-logic-rice-cooker-136-75-free-s-h

I have a 5 cup model that looks exactly the same. Zojirushi makes a great product, and if you have never had a fuzzy logic rice cooker it makes much better rice than a cheap Amana cooker from Target or wherever. That's a good price too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone got recs for a good whetstone to get as a moderately nice gift (~$100)? Doesn't have to be ridiculously high grit or anything, but would be the only whetstone in the house.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got recs for a good whetstone to get as a moderately nice gift (~$100)? Doesn't have to be ridiculously high grit or anything, but would be the only whetstone in the house.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but you straight up cannot sharpen a knife with a single grit. Look on amazon for 1000/6000k grit combination stones (you flip it over for the other grit). The King KW65 is the one I use and it's very good for the price. If you want to spend some more money get a sharpening stone holder so it can fit in the sink, and/or a leather strop with a polishing compound (the final 'stone' in a proper sharpen). Good luck! If the recipient is new to this it's worth providing some good youtube tutorials or w/e also because you can gently caress yourself up somewhat, or worse, the whetstones.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You aren't mistaken, and yeah that completely slipped my mind. A combo stone might work well, or maybe two stones could be good. I'll try and look into the other accessories you mentioned.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

You aren't mistaken, and yeah that completely slipped my mind. A combo stone might work well, or maybe two stones could be good. I'll try and look into the other accessories you mentioned.

I only mentioned the other stuff because you wanted to spend that much. The KW65 set is very well priced and it's all I use. I don't bother with a strop - curious how many people in this thread actually do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I don't bother with a strop - curious how many people in this thread actually do.

I've never stropped a kitchen knife. I find that a few strokes on the steel gives me more than enough edge to do whatever it is I need to do. I've also never sharpened the factory edge on my DR Connoisseur knives in the last ten-odd years, but I am very meticulous in caring for my knives so I don't have to do these things.

I'm just a moderately skilled homegamer though, and the most difficult thing to cut that usually shows up on my board is tomatoes and fresh herbs. I don't do a lot of boning either, but when I do I have an old Chicago Cutlery 6" utility/boning knife that I use. It's also the knife that lives on my cutting board for general duty. I've made numerous attempts to keep a good edge on it but after a decade of that I've concluded the steel is too poor to keep it for more than a month of cutting things like cheese and bread and cooked sausage.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 9, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I only mentioned the other stuff because you wanted to spend that much. The KW65 set is very well priced and it's all I use. I don't bother with a strop - curious how many people in this thread actually do.
Yeah, I pretty much always strop my kitchen knives.

Beach Bum posted:

I've never stropped a kitchen knife. I find that a few strokes on the steel gives me more than enough edge to do whatever it is I need to do. I've also never sharpened the factory edge on my DR Connoisseur knives in the last ten-odd years, but I am very meticulous in caring for my knives so I don't have to do these things.
Do you only use it on St Clement's Day or something? Because otherwise I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea of a knife being meticulously cared for and a knife that hasn't been sharpened in more than a decade.

SubG fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 9, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubG posted:

Same. When I started actually spending the time to use whetstones, the strop seemed to make a big difference in getting them really sharp.

(this may be because I'm bad at using whetstones still)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SubG posted:

Do you only use it on St Clement's Day or something? Because otherwise I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea of a knife being meticulously cared for and a knife that hasn't been sharpened in more than a decade.

I use them daily. The edge is still sharp. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eke out posted:

Same. When I started actually spending the time to use whetstones, the strop seemed to make a big difference in getting them really sharp.

(this may be because I'm bad at using whetstones still)
you should finish each stone with stropping motions if you are not already. Get rid of the burr without using felt/cork.

Aligning the blade is important for any sharp knife to get the most out of it. I recall I twisted handle of a knife the wrong way when it was on a mag strip and until I gave it a strop I could not even go through an onion easily. One you get hard enough you gotta use a strop instead of a rod.

Beach Bum posted:

it's just physics man. Have you tried other knives recently? Shuns or Globals are probably the best out of box edge you can find at a bed bath or wherever.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it's just physics man. Have you tried other knives recently? Shuns or Globals are probably the best out of box edge you can find at a bed bath or wherever.

I have not. However I could post a video going through some paper or an onion/garlic/tomato or something if it would make you feel better. Having used a great deal of lovely knives at relatives homes I am reasonably certain my knives are more than reasonably sharp.

Fake edit: I now have a couple bare spots on my forearm just to be certain they're still up to speed.

Real Edit: I dunno maybe we have different standards, which is likely the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

If you're happy with a Dexter Russell that's been used daily for more than a decade and never sharpened then, yeah, I think we probably have different definitions of "sharp".