Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mystes posted:

I suspect one reason the Marshalls stores occasionally get legitimately good stuff that isn't garbage specifically produced for them is because companies want to sell off extra stock or seconds without advertising the fact that they're doing so or providing an avenue for normal potential customers to track them down which would cannibalize sales and/or drive down prices.

A lot of their stock is the last bits of discontinued items, whether totally discontinued or just revamped. A significant chunk of that is licensed items in sell-off, which is why they often have celebrity-branded stuff from no-longer relevant celebrities.

You have to treat shopping there as panning for gold, and have your phone in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
looking at the wolf website it looks like this oven might be discontinued. score for me tho

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Raise your hand of your immediate reaction was "its still on?!?!"

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Seconding the question from a page or so back about recommended food processors. We have a Kitchenaid one that is a solid 10-15 years old and I have managed to lose the main blade for it, looking around online this this appears to be the only one left in existence and for $40+shipping it's probably worth just getting a new one, especially as the handle on the container is also starting to get a bit wobbly.

Looking at the cheaper 7 cup ones, is there anything to go for/avoid? Are the combo blender/food processors worth looking at or no?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I have a ninja food processor/blender and its absolutely brilliant.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't recall where I read it, but there was a general axiom that you do not want less then a 10ish cup food processor. If you ever want to use it for dough, the recipe will likely be based on at least that. I imagine the stuff under the hood is not as good too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A couple years ago I got a Cuisinart 7-cup Pro Classic. It's been great. I definitely use it for pie dough, even double crust, but I haven't tried it for like pizza dough. Googling now, it looks like my specific model has been discontinued, but they make a new equivalent with fancier buttons.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have a large maple cutting board that I like to keep on the counter. I want something to elevate it so it doesn't ever sit in any water. There are feet that people will screw into boards but I don't want to put any holes in my board. Ideas we've come up with: cork strips or rubber washers. Any ideas?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
$2 solution: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/cabinet-and-furniture-hardware/chair-glides/51723

Edit: you said no holes, but those will be tiny nail holes.

Having said that, I've had a maple cutting board on my counter for 20 years, and have never had an issue with it when it gets wet. I mineral oil it maybe once a year.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Maybe cabinet door/picture frame bumpers, Scotch makes some that look just like the feet on my terrible glass cutting board.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
rubber feet with adhesive backing is your best bet

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
To conclude food processor chat, I ended up taking out a fourth mortgage and got this:

https://www.magimix.co.uk/food-processor/27-137-cs-5200xl.html#/28-colour-red

Haven’t even turned it on yet, but it appears skookum as gently caress.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bolind posted:

To conclude food processor chat, I ended up taking out a fourth mortgage and got this:

https://www.magimix.co.uk/food-processor/27-137-cs-5200xl.html#/28-colour-red

Haven’t even turned it on yet, but it appears skookum as gently caress.

How does a Brit pick up chinook loan words from the American Pacific Northwest?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

therobit posted:

I'd guess from AvE, who loves the expression almost as much as he loves tearing things apart to investigate their build quality.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 13, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

therobit posted:

I’m Danish. I studied in the US. My wife is Filipino. I’ve watched a fair bit of AvE. My expressions, grammar and vocabulary are basically the bastard child of a nine-way interracial orgy.

(The UK website was just the first one to pop up.)

Fake edit: is there a rich person who’d like to send AvE one of those to tear down?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bolind posted:

I’m Danish. I studied in the US. My wife is Filipino. I’ve watched a fair bit of AvE. My expressions, grammar and vocabulary are basically the bastard child of a nine-way interracial orgy.

(The UK website was just the first one to pop up.)

Fake edit: is there a rich person who’d like to send AvE one of those to tear down?

What with the 9-way interracial orgies, would you say you're more an antique Roman than a Dane?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

barkbell posted:

I have a large maple cutting board that I like to keep on the counter. I want something to elevate it so it doesn't ever sit in any water. There are feet that people will screw into boards but I don't want to put any holes in my board. Ideas we've come up with: cork strips or rubber washers. Any ideas?

Something like this is probably your best bet: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Stick-Noise-Dampening-Bumpers-12-pieces/dp/B001WAK6DS/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I am considering buying a Rice Cooker and looking for something compact as I'm not going to be using it everyday. Seen good reviews for the Yum-Asia Panda rice cooker, anyone got any experience with them at all?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone have any experience with Costco's all-clad rip-off pots? It looks like they're available for $200. But they also have a much lower oven safe temperature rating.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
380°F? That’s ridiculous

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

380°F? That’s ridiculous

That's surely not right? Like I have a pan with a rubber handle that oven safe to that temp.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 14, 2020

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dissimilar metals that are poorly bonded and/or poorly sized to each other CAN delaminate, warp, and pop at those temperatures. I'd hazard a guess that it's a case of same-factory-after-hours-but-lower-QA so they're just throwing that low temperature out there as a CYA. Reviews of them are littered with people mentioning warpage

Because otherwise it looks like it's all metal handles and rivets? That's all I can think of.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there another similar sort of pot set that you would recommend if this one has a bunch of red flags?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've been abusing a set of Tramontina tri-ply pots and pans for 7 years and they're as good as the day I got them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there another similar sort of pot set that you would recommend if this one has a bunch of red flags?

Buy individual pieces of all-clad factory seconds or when it goes on deep discount at Williams and Sonoma or sur la table. You can save easily over 50% that way.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
As much as I hate to say it because it's expensive but if you have the cash or can save up for them, All-Clad are worth it. The D5s not so much but they are awesome as well.

Ninja Edit: What I mean is that the D5s are simply not worth the price difference between them and regular all-clad. If I did it again I would go back and just bought the regular ones. I also would have piecemeal my set rather than getting the big 12 piece set. No one needs a loving all clad stock pot, that's dumb. Younger me was an idiot.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would say always go for individual pans, big sets are going to just have a load of pans you're not going to use day to do. My essential pans are

non-stick milk pan
18cm saucepan
20cm saucepan
frying pan (oven safe)

That's going to do 90% of stuff, then add in

Lidded Saute pan
Pressure Cooker ( I have a big pasta pot as well but if I didn't I could always use my pressure cooker with the lid off my saute pan, and have done for some things)
Dutch Oven
Crepe Pan
Jam Pan (if you make jam)

You'll acquire loads of kitchen poo poo over the years, just buy a small number of really good pans.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
not quite salient, and I don't know if Tramontina still makes them, but I got a boxed set of basic stuff as gift back when department stores were a thing. I've used them daily and run them through the dishwasher and they're still excellent. their Brazilian-made stuff seems to be indestructible

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

barkbell posted:

I just fold a towel under my cutting boards. Dampens the noise from chopping as a bonus.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

not quite salient, and I don't know if Tramontina still makes them, but I got a boxed set of basic stuff as gift back when department stores were a thing. I've used them daily and run them through the dishwasher and they're still excellent. their Brazilian-made stuff seems to be indestructible

Yeah I do wonder if the quality of their tri-ply has changed much. I got mine around the time Serious Eats released that Tramontina vs. All-clad article but it was so long ago and the brand is much larger & more wide-spread now, which often equates to a change in quality for these cheaper brands.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I just bought a few pieces of the tramontina tri-ply made in Brazil and like them. I wish the lips were curved like my all-clad pieces, tho

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Buy individual pieces of all-clad factory seconds or when it goes on deep discount at Williams and Sonoma or sur la table. You can save easily over 50% that way.

HomeGoods is another good place to look for discounted All Clad and Le Creuset and whatnot.

But if you need poo poo now, Tramontina is solid in my experience.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone tried the rebranded Cuisinart waffle makers? Are they as good as the old Waring waffle makers?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone tried the rebranded Cuisinart waffle makers? Are they as good as the old Waring waffle makers?
They make waffles just fine, but the build quality isn't as good as the old Warings, or at least the old commercial ones.

I got one awhile back and don't have any complaints about the quality of waffles it produces, but the fascia covering the body is plastic where it used to be metal, and there's a lot more play/wobble in the flip/rotation mechanism.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Do you have the single or the double waffle model? I bought the single online and thought it was fine, but a bit cheap and flimsy feeling. I handled the two waffle model in a store the other day for the first time and it seems to be much better. Less structural plastic and seems less wobbly overall. Now I have waffle regrets.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

Do you have the single or the double waffle model? I bought the single online and thought it was fine, but a bit cheap and flimsy feeling. I handled the two waffle model in a store the other day for the first time and it seems to be much better. Less structural plastic and seems less wobbly overall. Now I have waffle regrets.

I have a two waffle Cuisinart that is like 10 years old and works great still. They are just a pain to clean.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bought the Misen Complete Cookware fully clad set almost two years ago and it has been absolutely fantastic. Literally my only complaint is that some of the skillets are a tad heavy, but that's not really my complaint so much as my wife's. Every piece of the set gets used regularly, so there are no bastard pieces that I paid money to not use.

They have a TRYMISEN20 coupon code (through 9/18) that'll knock $85 off the price, too, which is nice. I just checked and the pre-discount price for this set hasn't risen at all since I bought it, so that's good.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So is the consensus on Misen now "Bad on release but they've sorted their poo poo out and are a good value now"?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

you ate my cat posted:

I have the double waffle version, WAF-F20. I think it's more or less identical to the Waring Pro WWM600 except for the branding and a slightly different on/off switch, and the WWM600 was basically a cheaper version of the older all-metal commercial Waring waffle irons (whose model numbers I don't know). The older Warings had a better hinge design (the WAF-F20/WWM600 hinges are mechanically fine as near as I can tell, but they have a lot more nooks and crannies that catch oil when you're spraying the irons and then collect crumbs and w/e, which the hinges on the older models didn't). They also had more solid-feeling controls (the new ones have a plastic rocker on/off instead of a metal toggle, for example). And the commercial models had a crumb tray under the irons, which was nice. And they have the same flip mechanism--the irons rotate along the axis of the handle, and then lock in place with a ball and detent. The Cuisinart just has maybe ten degrees of play inside each lock position. It's not a big deal and doesn't affect function, but it makes the appliance feel less solid.

Not trying to poo poo on the Cuisinart. Like I said I have no complaints about the quality of waffles it makes. And I sure as poo poo preferred paying like US$75 or whatever for the Cuisinart compared to like US$500 for an old commercial Waring. But the old Warings were built like tanks and the Cuisinart, it feels like a kitchen appliance you'd get for under a hundred bucks from amazon or bed bath or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Has anyone in here used or owned the Ikea Tillreda portable induction top? We rent an apartment with an absolutely terrible electric cooktop, so I'm thinking about just buying 2 induction tops or a double top to use instead. These are 60 bucks in Australia so seem like a good cheap option that's actually a name brand. I don't mind spending a little more if anyone can recommend any other plug in induction tops though. Thanks all!