Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Of all my cookware the ones I use most are:

12" tri-ply stainless - basically everything except fish and eggs
8" and 12" nonstick - fish and eggs, plus general "second pan" duties, if my wife didn't hate cast iron I'd have cast iron in the 12" instead of nonstick
6qt enamel Dutch oven
6qt Instant Pot (get a steamer insert)
2-ish qt sauce pan
Half and quarter sheet aluminum pans with matching stainless oven-safe racks

This covers probably 90% of my cooking needs (I don't make a lot of pasta). Maybe add a casserole dish or lasagna pan. If you're cooking for one you could probably get 10" pans instead of 12", but as a renter I've had issues with some electric ranges being specifically sized for either 8" or 12" pans.

I have a 10" tri-ply saute pan that I almost never use, I would make a batch of pasta sauce in the Dutch oven and then boil in the Instant Pot given the setup above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

XIII posted:

Enamel dutch oven

I've got two suggestions:

1. Depending on your needs, you might consider an Instant Pot instead of the dutch oven for an initial purchase. The set it and forget it + pressure cooker is mighty convenient.
2. Get a convection toaster oven thats large enough to accommodate a quarter sheet. It's nice not dealing with a full-size oven when only cooking enough food for one or two people.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a SO or family who is going to ruin your carbon steel, that's another reason to go stainless. No I'm not bitter.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

.Z. posted:

I've got two suggestions:

1. Depending on your needs, you might consider an Instant Pot instead of the dutch oven for an initial purchase. The set it and forget it + pressure cooker is mighty convenient.
2. Get a convection toaster oven thats large enough to accommodate a quarter sheet. It's nice not dealing with a full-size oven when only cooking enough food for one or two people.

Already got an instant pot, so that's covered, but solid thinking. And there's no microwave in the place, so I was eventually planning on posting in here about getting a convection toaster oven instead. Just figured I'd sort out my basics first

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

XIII posted:

Already got an instant pot, so that's covered, but solid thinking. And there's no microwave in the place, so I was eventually planning on posting in here about getting a convection toaster oven instead. Just figured I'd sort out my basics first

Fair enough. Though when it comes time for that, convection microwave ovens are a thing and may fit your life better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Good to know. Looks like I've got yet another thing to look into. Turns out there's a lotta poo poo you can fill a kitchen with.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Since you’re worried about storage, I live in a 350 square foot studio with a coil top electric stove (surprisingly not terrible) and I have, in some ikea shelves and my built in cabinets:

Stainless sauce pan, 9 inches
Stainless small sauce pot, the ikea 365 one (1.5 quarts?)
Stainless stock pot, 4 quart
Carbon steel flat bottom wok, bottom is 9 inches and obviously the top is wider
8.5 quart stainless steel stovetop pressure cooker that can double as a giant stock pot (includes a steamer insert)

Roasting pan with accruements, lives in oven
Baking sheet, two square pans, muffin pan, fancy pie pan, loaf pans, also live in oven

Tiered bamboo steamer
Stainless steel steamer that folds up (I like steaming okay)
Stainless steel cooking utensils I got as a set from ikea (ladle, spoon, spatula, pasta thing), tongs, wok spatula - these are on a magnetic strip on my fridge
Wooden spoon, silicone spatula, whisk, cooking chopsticks, spider, timer, can opener, the thing that you use to spread sauces over meat, cup and spoon measures, meat thermometer, dough cutter - one drawer
Three knives (paring, vegetable cleaver, meat cleaver), kitchen shears, and sharpening tools - another drawer
Stainless steel bowls that stack and nest in different sizes
Molcajete, grater that comes apart, funnels, strainer with small mesh holes, rolling pin, silicone baking sheet, 3 cutting boards, liquid measuring cup - on a kitchen cart shelf
Baking scale
Bunch of tupperwares

And that’s it! :yayclod: You can get a lot done with not too much in terms of equipment. Maybe I’ll splurge and get a fish spatula

Edit: in terms of appliances, I have a rice cooker and small food processor, the former gets much more use, microwave is built in

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Matter of preference, but I'd ditch the enameled dutch oven and just go with a Lodge combo cooker. They've even got a handleless version if you're like me and super tight on space and have a tiny oven. Makes using the frying pan a pain in the rear end tho.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh speaking of saving space, I wanted to show the thread this thing I just got: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/gekiyasukaguya/ket140064/?s-id=ph_pc_itemname

So basically it combines a salad spinner, food processor and a very half assed blender all in one gadget that doesn't use electricity. Everything stacks inside of it and it fits inside my pressure cooker. The food processor in particular works surprisingly well.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my carbon steel pan is virtually non stick

im impressed with how well it seasoned

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you wanted to cook eggs nonstick before nonstick technology, carbon steel was what you used

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

barkbell posted:

my carbon steel pan is virtually non stick

im impressed with how well it seasoned

Same with mine, because I never explicitly seasoned it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My CS wok has such a nice sheen. I know from growing up in fat bad times I dont use enough oil across all my cookware. For some reason that doesn't apply to the wok

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got a Di Oro scraping spatula and now I want to buy like 4 of their other shaped spatulas

It's perfect and feels like it could survive a bombing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No Wave posted:

Carbon is annoying. You have to dry it off and stuff. If I only owned a carbon steel pan I would be extremely upset and would probably stop cooking as much. Stainless steel is amazing, you don't have to do anything. I would always buy stainless first and just live with using more oil when frying eggs.

Seconding this, my carbon steel wok never gets used.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
A small thing, but does anyone have a brand of tongs such as the below that don't quickly loosen and become poo poo to use?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dphi posted:

A small thing, but does anyone have a brand of tongs such as the below that don't quickly loosen and become poo poo to use?

i just use ones that are a single piece with a bend. the scissors style i only have as a jar puller for canning

e.g.:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got 2 pairs of kitchen tweezers for Christmas. They’re incredible and I do not know how I managed without them for so long. Strong recommend.

To the goon getting kitchen gear: I would highly recommend trying to get some factory 2nds or other steep discounts on all-clad stuff to start off with. It really is the best overall cookware I’ve used in my life. Also, I don’t think carbon steel is necessary if you have a nonstick to complement stainless steel.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lawnie posted:

I got 2 pairs of kitchen tweezers for Christmas. They’re incredible and I do not know how I managed without them for so long. Strong recommend.

To the goon getting kitchen gear: I would highly recommend trying to get some factory 2nds or other steep discounts on all-clad stuff to start off with. It really is the best overall cookware I’ve used in my life. Also, I don’t think carbon steel is necessary if you have a nonstick to complement stainless steel.

drat, it looks like there's a factory 2nds sale going on currently, but, even at those prices, they're still a bit too spendy for me right now. If I were just looking for 1-2 things, I'd probably shell out the extra, but I'm having to buy enough stuff all at once that I gotta cut a few corners. (the kitchen ain't the only room I gotta worry about)

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

It’s pricey but breville has a toaster oven air fryer, they make quality stuff

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Toaster%20Ovens

I bought this last year and absolutely love it. I hardly turn on my actual oven anymore. Its big enough for a whole chicken (or a 1/4 sheet) and "air-frys" things just fine

Sportman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 17, 2021

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thirding (or whatever) the Breville suggestion. Did a chicken in mine for the first time last week and got results as good or better than my full-size gas oven (that doesn’t have a convection feature). It also reheats food (pizza especially) so much better than a microwave that it’s like trying leftovers for the first time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lawnie posted:

I had these on my wish list, didn't get them, and opted to try 14" chopsticks instead for price reasons. They're great, but I still might get the tweezers because I was drunk frying the other day which made the sticks much less effective :v:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend an outdoor propane wok burner with a cooktop that’s good for rocking the wok? I have a bayou classics jet burner but the cooktop is a little clunky for a round bottom wok

I have the Kahuna XL and it's pretty bad for that pro chef style smooth rocking motion where it rests on the burner rim and you don't pick the wok up entirely. The metal holder that the wok is in contact with is really rough out of the box and the shape of it isn't conducive to smooth movements. I think you could probably get it to be smoother with some sandpaper or just a lot of use. Maybe some other DIY hack with a wok ring? I haven't had much time to play with it before winter hit, to be fair. The burner itself is really nice aside from the gas knob being on the tank end of the hose instead of up near the wok. Also it's short but that's fixable too. For the price I'm pretty happy with it overall even if it didn't immediately turn me into Wang Gang

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

I had these on my wish list, didn't get them, and opted to try 14" chopsticks instead for price reasons. They're great, but I still might get the tweezers because I was drunk frying the other day which made the sticks much less effective :v:

You ever try to flip a long slice of bacon, only it slips out of the tip of the tongs a million times and you don’t have the dexterity to manipulate it flat while flipping? Never again with tweezers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawnie posted:

You ever try to flip a long slice of bacon, only it slips out of the tip of the tongs a million times and you don’t have the dexterity to manipulate it flat while flipping

a classic Goon Problem

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what do goons think of hexclad? seems like an interesting approach to nonstick. or maybe bullshit? idk

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

xtal posted:

If you have a SO or family who is going to ruin your carbon steel, that's another reason to go stainless. No I'm not bitter.

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what do goons think of hexclad? seems like an interesting approach to nonstick. or maybe bullshit? idk

It sounds like a good way to charge $200 for a nonstick pan. It probably works fine, but the nonstick will wear off just like a $20 pan will, except you spent $200 on it to start with

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nonstick has to be disposable. that ain't priced like it's disposable

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Regarding IR temp guns, can I just get any $20 unit or is there a recommended manufacturer?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Regarding IR temp guns, can I just get any $20 unit or is there a recommended manufacturer?

For the (lack of) precision you need for checking your pan’s temp, I’d just get whatever is cheap.

Also be aware they don’t work properly on highly reflective surfaces like stainless steel. Something about emissivity or something.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah I got one with adjustable emissivity but so far I haven't messed with it. That seems to be the only real "feature" worth spending a few bucks extra for.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

ThermoWorks makes a pocket IR thermometer that's around US$20.

If that's too much of a toy, their entry-level IR gun is usually US$70 but regularly goes on sale and I picked one up for around US$20 a couple years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo its probably not really worth getting one, not that useful unless you really want one

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The laser thermometer? For how cheap they are, they're totally worth having. I use mine mostly with my cast iron pans to know when they're hot enough for a steak. Or a baking steel is hot enough for a pizza. Sometimes it's really hard to know what the surface temperature actually is, even if it's in a preheated oven.

xtal fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 18, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

It sounds like a good way to charge $200 for a nonstick pan. It probably works fine, but the nonstick will wear off just like a $20 pan will, except you spent $200 on it to start with
my thought is that laser etching steel to expose aluminum underneath, as opposed to just slapping on a chemical coating, might eliminate the wear-off issue?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's also one of those things where once you have one you'll find plenty of reasons to use it that you wouldn't have used to justify buying one ahead of time. Like checking the temperature gradient on cooking surfaces, checking hot and cold zones in your fridge, checking dough temperature during proofing, contactless spot-checking soil temperature for gardening, and so on.

I mean if you're not likely to find yourself doing any of those things then yeah, you don't really need one. But I'm absolutely the kind of person who does and so it's absolutely justified the twenty bucks I gave for it a couple years ago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use my $25 IR thermometer ALL the time. It can be about 15° inaccurate on most things but as long as you keep in mind how imprecise it is it’s very useful to know whether your pan is 280° or 340° or whether your stew is 140° or 165°

It’s very inaccurate on stainless steel, maybe dozens of degrees off, but the solution to that is to put in some oil and measure that

I use it more than my thermapen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The teflon falls off on it just like any other Teflon pan. The steel pimples just do a good job of hiding the damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for posting that, that youtuber is super irritating but they sure do a great job of hiding that the pan actually does have Teflon.