Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anne Whateley posted:

The best plastic wrap is a cheap one, stretch-tite

I believe that is the costco brand, yes. For a long time, Costco used to sell giant rolls of that, but, they have disappeared in favor of Kirkland branded boxes, which feels and acts identically, implying that they are still making it but as their house brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I miss the old Saran Wrap with the pollutants.

It worked better :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Discussion Quorum posted:

I just bought some Kroger brand to replace some Great Value that lasted me many years (I don't use much plastic wrap) and holy poo poo it's so, so bad. To the point where I'm seriously considering tossing the nearly full roll and buying something else because gently caress potentially dealing with this thing for the next 5 years or so.

Just return it?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I have 2 rolls of the costco stuff and to me it wasn't as good as some of the name brand stuff I get at kroger or whatever. It was a total pain to get the roll started, it smells funny, and the cutting mechanism was inferior to the name brands (partly the film is just too wide for the cutters so it often doesn't start the cut nicely).

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
When I was in college I bought cheap plastic wrap and that poo poo never stuck to anything it was unreal.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Smart and Final has good wrap with the slicer like the old Costco stuff

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

teraflame posted:

When I was in college I bought cheap plastic wrap and that poo poo never stuck to anything it was unreal.
Yeah, this is the Kroger garbage experience for me: sticks to nothing but itself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Did goons just spend a page talking about plastic wrap

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pfft Glad? Personally I prefer the Wrapé wrap made by a small shop in Switzerland. The stretch ratio is far superior

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For the folks talking knives, there's a knife thread if you want to get super nerdy.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

BBQ Dave posted:

Ok I'm a believer.

We have super cubes too so I made a big batch of split pea soup with ham hock and kept it super thick so that it can be diluted after defrosting and thus save more freezer space. Then as you advised I froze them in souper cubes and then vacuum sealed. Pretty great, makes me wish I had a bigger freezer.

Also did a couple sous vide steaks, I don't have a circulation machine but I used a thermometer and they turned out great (didn't take pictures).

One of us! One of us!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just return it?

I didn't buy it, like, yesterday. I probably had it for over a month before even opening it. Like I said, I don't use much plastic wrap.

While I am wasting Jeffrey's ones and zeros complaining about kitchen wrap, Great Value unbleached parchment paper is another "get something else next time" purchase.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I bought one of these ten years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-914...981636799&psc=1

I don't think I'm even halfway through. But I also own a ton of glass containers with lids that I use 95% of the time I need to seal something.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My vacuum sealer may be on the way out, but I'd rather fix it than buy a new one if it's possible to do so.

Specifically, the problem is I'll begin the process of sealing something in a bag, but once the suction stops, air seeps back into the bag. During the suction process the bag will seem fully vacuumed. I imagine this has to do with the seal on the inside of the machine, but I don't know how to fix this. The seal itself is fairly simple foam, doesn't seem particularly compressed.

Anyone have advice for this? Do they sell new seals for these kinds of vacuums? Specifically I have a Gourmia GVS425.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I believe that is the costco brand, yes. For a long time, Costco used to sell giant rolls of that, but, they have disappeared in favor of Kirkland branded boxes, which feels and acts identically, implying that they are still making it but as their house brand.

Kirkland brand is branded with both stretch-tite and kirkland labels:

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-stretch-tite-plastic-food-wrap%2C-11-78-in-x-758-ft%2C-2-count.product.100116718.html

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

My vacuum sealer may be on the way out, but I'd rather fix it than buy a new one if it's possible to do so.

Specifically, the problem is I'll begin the process of sealing something in a bag, but once the suction stops, air seeps back into the bag. During the suction process the bag will seem fully vacuumed. I imagine this has to do with the seal on the inside of the machine, but I don't know how to fix this. The seal itself is fairly simple foam, doesn't seem particularly compressed.

Anyone have advice for this? Do they sell new seals for these kinds of vacuums? Specifically I have a Gourmia GVS425.

You probably have a loose spot in the foam seal somewhere so it doesn't think its done and keeps going until the safety times it out and air goes right back in. When mine does that I just hit manual seal to force it to finish.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nephzinho posted:

You probably have a loose spot in the foam seal somewhere so it doesn't think its done and keeps going until the safety times it out and air goes right back in. When mine does that I just hit manual seal to force it to finish.

I've tried this, but in the time between hitting manual seal and the vacuuming process finishing, air seeps back in. I'll play around with the seal a bit more and see if I can replace it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

As a last ditch effort, if you can't find a replacement maybe try a bit of food-safe mineral oil on the foam? Often times gaskets and such get a little bit of grease to improve sealing, but that may not help much if it's a gross leak.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't know about that specific model, but on the cheapest-one-I-could-find Rival I used to have the foam seal was just friction fit into its channel. After a couple years it started doing what you're describing, and I fixed it by just pulling the foam seal out and putting it back in "upside down", which fixed the problem for another couple years.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anyone got a set of stainless, all-metal skewers for kabob/yakitori/satay/kkochi/whatever they really like? Strong feelings about round vs flat skewers?

Been using bamboo, tired of having to soak 'em ahead of time.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have these Norpro skewers and they're decent but stuff will still spin on them sometimes. I'd prefer a middle ground between these and the really broad kofta-style skewers, but they're serviceable.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
These are great. Flat, just wide enough to keep solid stuff from spinning. Kofta not amazing. Very sturdy and the points are just sharp enough to be super effective but not dangerous.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FZAVU6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The included rails are really useful in some situations too.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I got these long long mans from Home Depot. I couldn't find many other options at that size/price. My two criticisms are that the points aren't beveled, so it's tough to get vegetables on without cutting a pilot hole, and that the wooden handles are flush with the metal so if you grab them wrong they can be spicy. They also make a 17 inch size.

I prefer flat to round because cooking over high heat gets really difficult when you can't flip the food reliably. It makes smaller chunks tougher to deal with. I really do need to try kofta on them someday; they're basically made for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
One of the local public libraries has specialty cake pans to borrow. I think that's an awesome idea.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1668672103258701826?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Well this is a surprise

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank private equity. They were bought in a leveraged buyout, the new owners insisted on creating and selling InstaPot branded items that had nothing to do with pressure cooking. The same company owns American Pyrex, which is why the dishes now explode in the oven from time to time.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They closed all their outlet stores, even the one in Corning, NY closed. They had the world's largest pyrex measuring cup there. It wasn't made out of pyrex though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the most evil item they sold was an instant pot branded slow cooker which looked very similar to and cost almost as much as the actual pressure cookers

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Clark Nova posted:

the most evil item they sold was an instant pot branded slow cooker which looked very similar to and cost almost as much as the actual pressure cookers

That hardly counts as evil. Even among kitchen equipment.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Whoever buys the remnants, bring back the old borosilicate formula, plz

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brother Tadger posted:

From your lips to God's ears.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Guess I shoulda posted this before buying the thing, but what would you check when buying a used stand mixer? I just picked one up off craigslist for $50

I pressed on the drive mechanism to make sure the gears didn't slip, didn't feel any broken teeth. It's missing the whisk, but does have everything else.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Not that PYREX, unfortunately :(

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what-is-the-difference-between-two-pyrex-types/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Borosilicate cookware is easy to find on Amazon

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

What do you all like for a salt cellar? Lid vs no lid? I finally wore out the Tupperware knockoff I've been using. I have one of those swing lid wooden ones for Maldon salt, and it's fine, but something ceramic might be nice.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

What do you all like for a salt cellar? Lid vs no lid? I finally wore out the Tupperware knockoff I've been using. I have one of those swing lid wooden ones for Maldon salt, and it's fine, but something ceramic might be nice.
I just use a delitainer. Same for other commonly-used spices that don't get dispensed from a shaker or grinder.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My wife has a set of those ceramic jars with hinged lids, and the smallest two (probably 1/4C and 1/2C respectively) were too small to be of any other use. I use them for sea salt and kosher salt, respectively.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use an anchor hocking custard cup with a plastic lid

The lid is loose enough that I can open it with my thumb

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

Emile Henry salt pig.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I’ve got a ceramic one with a wooden lid that someone brought back from Barcelona; it’s very pretty but the lid is attached such that it will not stay up no matter what which is annoying. Kind of want to go back to a plain wooden one, redoing my kitchen soon so maybe it’ll get replaced then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My wife had a 1-cup Dutch oven for some reason, so we use that.