Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«85 »
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

What's induction and how can you use it to make ice cream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Induction burners use magnetic fields to induce currents in your cookware, which in turn heats them up. I'm using my portable induction burner to prepare ice cream mix because the Duxtop model I have has a built-in thermostat feature, so I can quickly heat up the mix but I won't risk overdoing it. It doesn't replace an ice cream maker. Unfortunately, the same magnetic mojo that heats the pans interferes with the circuits in my Polder temperature alarms - they start beeping randomly, changing settings, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitch...p?skuId=8812736

So, the mixer Iíve been interested in is on sale and I have enough rewards points for BBY that I could pay nothing for it. Thoughts? Any reason NOT to buy it? Background: I have a 4.5qt but it high capacity enough for double batches I want to do, and sometimes it struggles w the doughs.

Thoughts between these two beaters: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ter.kfew6l.html

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ter.kfef6l.html

I like how little surface area is in the first one, but the second would better match the accessories it comes with.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2018 around 11:30

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

Imo get a bosh or w/e since you already have the 4.5 qt. I view more in a bread rather than cookie lens though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

If I'm eating more fish now, is it worth getting a fillet knife to cut off the skin and such easier? If so, Victorinox (like the chef/pairing knife from them thanks to the OP rec) has like 7 different kinds, so uh how do I decide?

The victorinox are probably fine.

As a teen I worked deck hand for party style fishing cruises and myself and the other mates would use what ever el-cheapo you could find for a couple of bucks to fillet the tourists catch for tips. A little practice and you can fillet a couple hundred porgies an hour with pretty much anything with an edge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

What's a good electric kettle? my third bonavita in 5 years has died and it lasted long enough I can't keep the chain warenties going.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just make ice cream bases in a vita-mix. Put your thermometer probe through the hole it the lid and cut it when it gets to 160° F, strain it, and put in an ice bath.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Imo get a bosh or w/e since you already have the 4.5 qt. I view more in a bread rather than cookie lens though.

I ended up pulling the trigger cause itís a good deal, and I had a bunch of certificates to use, so it only cost me $100 and tax. Could have done free but I like having some on hand for random splurges. Now I just need to decide on which flex beater. Iím thinking the first one is the way to go, even if it wonít fit in w the rest.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Murgos posted:

The victorinox are probably fine.

As a teen I worked deck hand for party style fishing cruises and myself and the other mates would use what ever el-cheapo you could find for a couple of bucks to fillet the tourists catch for tips. A little practice and you can fillet a couple hundred porgies an hour with pretty much anything with an edge.

Are there any important differences in the types/styles though? Getting that sort of choice paralysis with too many options (obviously the white ones are just aesthetic, but everything else I have no idea about).

Lawnie
Sep 5, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit

Grimey Drawer

Get the 6 inch curved semi-stiff to start with. Itís almost certainly the right length and shape, but YMMV with the stiffness.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

Hold the line, I have shitposting to do.

I like my straight flexible but next time I'll probably get a curved flexible. All depends on how you like to cut. Curved is way nicer for skinning but for a beginner straight is probably best I guess?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

Are there any important differences in the types/styles though? Getting that sort of choice paralysis with too many options (obviously the white ones are just aesthetic, but everything else I have no idea about).

The point I was trying to make is that it probably doesnít matter for what you are trying to do.

What size fish are you going to be breaking down?

If you are routinely doing 100lb+ grouper/amberjack/dorado/Black tip then you probably want a larger stiffer knife. Something like a large butchers knife with a curved blade.

A huge stiff butchers knife is going to suck for filleting 20 3-5ib fish in a row though.

If you are filleting trout or or the smaller salt water fish like porgie or sheepshead or etc... then whatever is comfortable to you. You really just want to be agile enough to not lose a lot of meat with the carcasses. I preferred a curve because if you are doing a hundred fish in a row you want economy of movement and I felt I could sweep along the line quicker. It was probably in my head.

e: If you just want to clean up a side of salmon from the grocery store just use your sharp chefs knife.

Murgos fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2018 around 23:57

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005
I plan to live forever.... So far so good!

Iíve been making my own cold brew for a while and Iím wondering if there was a way I can make nitro cold brew. Or is this too ďindustrialĒ for an individual to make?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005
I plan to live forever.... So far so good!

Doom Rooster posted:

Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

I like the creamy feeling the nitro gives the drink. I donít think I like it enough to spend $250 though.

«85 »