Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I saw this griddle article pop up on serious eats the other day. I don't have any experience with the griddles mentioned so I can't vouch for it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Equipment adjacent question: I've been using the same dinnerware set for something like a decade. Was one of those $100 box sets for bowls/plates/side plats/mugs for 8 that I got alongside a similar flatware set. While the flatware has held up surprisingly well, the plates are starting to show some wear and a few are cracked. 99% sure this was just something I bought at a williams sonoma sale. Any good stuff available these days or should I just keep an eye out for their sales?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Equipment adjacent question: I've been using the same dinnerware set for something like a decade. Was one of those $100 box sets for bowls/plates/side plats/mugs for 8 that I got alongside a similar flatware set. While the flatware has held up surprisingly well, the plates are starting to show some wear and a few are cracked. 99% sure this was just something I bought at a williams sonoma sale. Any good stuff available these days or should I just keep an eye out for their sales?

Not sure if you have a Costco membership but they have dinnerware sets for $40/each. They're quite nice looking, come in blue or brown, and the best part is that each set has a large plate, small plate, large, bowl, and small bowl. No extraneous tiny coffee mugs that you don't need.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Get an eclectic mix from goodwill so that each piece is unique but vaguely related, either by color palette or theme. I love it.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m still on the fence about Unicorns because I hear they don’t grind very fine. I like my pepper ground SUPER fine, which is part of the reason I love my Peugeot Paris.

Super fine is right. If there's any kind of light breeze, the pepper out of my Peugeot blows away before it hits my plate.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

NIGARS posted:

Super fine is right. If there's any kind of light breeze, the pepper out of my Peugeot blows away before it hits my plate.

My FIL got a Peugeot for my birthday last year and it is one of those things I kick myself for not having bought myself years ago.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations on a electric counter top fryer? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting something to combat the mess/guess work of frying in my dutch oven.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I done hosed up.

When I asked for recommendations on an electric griddle, I really meant to ask for recommendations on an electric SKILLET.

gently caress

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i mean they’re more or less larger or smaller versions of the same thing and they’re all kind of good for making lots of eggs or pancakes at once and you already saw the SE thing

what is your goal and what’s wrong with yr stove, El Penis?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nephzinho posted:

My FIL got a Peugeot for my birthday last year and it is one of those things I kick myself for not having bought myself years ago.

My parents bought a Peugeot in 1986, but it was very different.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ulmont posted:

My parents bought a Peugeot in 1986, but it was very different.

you just need a good burr set on that motor and you can get a pretty fine grind I’m sure

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Problem with electric skillets is the metal is thin and the heating element is circular so you have one hot ring and a lot of cold spots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...10#.XODzEjBlCEd

Japanese toaster costs $275, only does one slice at a time

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...10#.XODzEjBlCEd

Japanese toaster costs $275, only does one slice at a time

Phhh. Fourteen years ago the state of the toaster art was Oh! Super Toaster, which had the same limitation but cost $10,000. $275 is a bargain by comparison.
( The sales pitch was that Oh! Super Toaster would cut a fresh slice of your desired thickness off a loaf, and then used infrared heaters to toast it to your exact preferred doneness. )

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I forgot this thread existed. Anyone have a toaster oven they'd like to recommend? Mine is dying. I'm looking at <$100, I'm not trying to buy a fancy pants Breville with Element IQ (Although I'd loving love one).

So far I'm looking at this guy only because it's similar to my current one and it's been great. Got any others?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGNC8Q4/?coliid=I26X4J7OBT3RND&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Somebody reccomended this one
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-FlashXpress-Infrared-Removable/dp/B008C9UFDI

And if the Breville fancy pants edition is amazingly great, give me your elevator pitch? I know they're perfect for folks who don't have an oven but I do so it's negligible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I forgot this thread existed. Anyone have a toaster oven they'd like to recommend? Mine is dying. I'm looking at <$100, I'm not trying to buy a fancy pants Breville with Element IQ (Although I'd loving love one).

So far I'm looking at this guy only because it's similar to my current one and it's been great. Got any others?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGNC8Q4/?coliid=I26X4J7OBT3RND&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Somebody reccomended this one
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-FlashXpress-Infrared-Removable/dp/B008C9UFDI

And if the Breville fancy pants edition is amazingly great, give me your elevator pitch? I know they're perfect for folks who don't have an oven but I do so it's negligible.

I have a Breville, and these days I'm only cooking for one or two generally, so I pretty much never use my full size oven anymore. The breville heats up faster than the oven, the convection cooks stuff quickly and it doesn't heat up the kitchen as nearly as much as the big oven does. Works well for toasting and broiling too (and having it on the countertop makes checking on stuff under the broiler a lot more convenient). It probably all depends on use cases, but it works great for me. I know there's newer brevilles that do air frying and dehydration stuff too which seems neat, though I have an air fryer and dehydrator already so I'm not sure those would benefit me.

I can't say it'd be worth the extra dough for you, because I don't know what you're looking to do it with it. But for folks that are considering it and wondering if it is as good as advertised, I'd say it definitely is.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone have one of them that new fangled speed ovens? If so, what’dya think?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Somebody was me. Still going strong. It's a really good toaster oven, but it's not a replacement for an oven. You can toast breads, warm up pizza, make nachos, roast coffee beans, and it might make frozen junk food like Hot Pockets (haven't tried that). It relies on direct heat via infrared elements and doesn't do well with things that need convection like dough. Although I have made rolls in it but it took awhile to heat up the oven and the rolls didn't rise evenly.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yea I don't know if that'd work for what I'm looking for. I've got kids so I use it for anything from toast to reheating pizza to making quick and easy meals like fish sticks or chicken fingers. The Breville still sounds awesome but I still think it's overkill for what I need. I'm not planning on baking in it really. Although as a broiler I like the idea since I have a gas oven and broiling in that thing sucks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

For 48 hours, Thermapen Mk4s are only $75 with promo code [REDACTED]. I don’t remember them ever being this low before, and it’s just in time for Father’s Day.

EDIT: The code is mine

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 7, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
They've hit that price a couple times before. I got a Mk4 a couple years ago at US$76. I don't think I've seen 'em go any lower, though.

SubG fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What makes these better than a 15 dollar digital thermometer? More accurate? Reads temperature faster?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Both

acco
Apr 1, 2010
They also automatically rotate the display in response to thermometer orientation, automatically wake up from sleep when moved, are waterproof, and will automatically turn on their backlight when they detect a low-light situation.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have a... mark ii, I think? the motherfucker has been left twice on a burner, neither time my fault, and still works perfectly

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just realized that promo code I posted was a unique one-time-use-only code meant for me specifically. :doh:

Eh, I can’t buy anything online right now anyway. My check card got deactivated due to fraud and I’m still waiting for the new one.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I bought the Dot and the thermopop recently and *love* them. Together they were cheaper than a thermopen, and still work fast enough and seem sturdy enough to last for a long while. I had a $20 thermopen knockoff from Amazon and it worked well for a couple months before the buttons started having issues and eventually it couldn't be turned on/off when opening and it was never waterproof... Glad I upgraded.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah the Thermapen is one of those kitchen tools where folks new to cooking think it's outrageously overpriced (I did!). When you have one though, man it's one of my favorite tools. I still have the Mark I I think I got back in like 2010 or something and it's still rocking so I'm not planning on upgrading until I need to. gently caress they're awesome.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Yeah the Thermapen is one of those kitchen tools where folks new to cooking think it's outrageously overpriced (I did!). When you have one though, man it's one of my favorite tools. I still have the Mark I I think I got back in like 2010 or something and it's still rocking so I'm not planning on upgrading until I need to. gently caress they're awesome.

This is the absolute truth. I look forward to my kid graduating from college, setting up housekeeping, and receiving my Mark I as a gift, so I'll have the excuse to upgrade.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a Mk IV that I left on the back of the stove on the oven panel for a while... the display bulged from the heat but everything works fine. I highly recommend the silicone sleeve that glows in the dark (not so useful) and has magnets too, in my case, attach it to the exhaust fan above the stove (extremely useful).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I just realized that promo code I posted was a unique one-time-use-only code meant for me specifically. :doh:

Eh, I can’t buy anything online right now anyway. My check card got deactivated due to fraud and I’m still waiting for the new one.

I just got the replacement today. I edited the code out of my post.

SubG, would you mind editing the code out of that quote of me you posted?

EDIT: Thanks. :)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 10, 2019

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I just got a set of Calphalon tri-ply cookware, and I saw some online listings for a double boiler insert, but none of them were in stock. Was it discontinued?

Also, this timer belongs on the front page: OXO Good Grips Triple Timer

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Does anyone make a particularly good bottle brush for woozy bottles? I've got a OXO bottle brush that's too wide for woozies, and the generic pipe cleaner style bottle brushes that do fit kinda suck.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This sounds like it might be annoying, but maybe take scissors to your Oxo brush

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

This sounds like it might be annoying, but maybe take scissors to your Oxo brush
Wouldn't help. The problem is the width of the shaft, not the bristles. Something something pr0k's Mom.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

SubG posted:

Does anyone make a particularly good bottle brush for woozy bottles? I've got a OXO bottle brush that's too wide for woozies, and the generic pipe cleaner style bottle brushes that do fit kinda suck.

Are these the "generic pipe cleaner style" kind you are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9NVMFA/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scott808 posted:

Are these the "generic pipe cleaner style" kind you are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9NVMFA/
Yeah. Not those specific ones, but that basic design. They're cheap and all, but they're not that great at cleaning bottles. Specifically when you've got bottles with a narrow neck and comparatively wide shoulder (like a woozy bottle) they're bad at getting at crud in the inside of the shoulder.

I was cleaning out some almost-empty woozies of homemade hot sauce, and they always get little high water marks where a bit of sediment ends up sticking. Getting at that poo poo with one of those bottle brushes is a loving pain. I mean it's not the end of the fuckin' world or anything, but it would be nice if there was a better design out there. The OXO is great for this kind of poo poo in large bottles (like old-style pint milk bottles) but looking around amazon there doesn't seem to be a similar design but long and narrow. Which is what I want.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

Yeah. Not those specific ones, but that basic design. They're cheap and all, but they're not that great at cleaning bottles. Specifically when you've got bottles with a narrow neck and comparatively wide shoulder (like a woozy bottle) they're bad at getting at crud in the inside of the shoulder.

I was cleaning out some almost-empty woozies of homemade hot sauce, and they always get little high water marks where a bit of sediment ends up sticking. Getting at that poo poo with one of those bottle brushes is a loving pain. I mean it's not the end of the fuckin' world or anything, but it would be nice if there was a better design out there. The OXO is great for this kind of poo poo in large bottles (like old-style pint milk bottles) but looking around amazon there doesn't seem to be a similar design but long and narrow. Which is what I want.

For bottles like that I tend to fill them 1/4 with salt water and shake hard.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Anyone have a recommendation for a can opener that won't have the gears strip out so quickly? Or are these treated as yearly disposable?

OP recommends the EZ duz it, unsure if that rec still stands or if others want to throw in their opinion

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have had the OXO Good Grips one for like 10 years now, and it's as sturdy and functional as ever. I have the cutting type, not the smooth edges top remover.